Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223243560 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 F1 news/rumours

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Tyre management has always been a part of F1 as has reliability....
    Reliability: so you would get penalized if you went over 3 components as alotted currently???

Tyre management: we have'nt seen these many tire compounds currently...one compound hardly gets used. Pirelli and teams just need to agree on 3 dry compounds. That's it.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Reliability: so you would get penalized if you went over 3 components as alotted currently???

Tyre management: we have'nt seen these many tire compounds currently...one compound hardly gets used. Pirelli and teams just need to agree on 3 dry compounds. That's it.
    You would get penalized by not finishing the race.....and tyre management has always been there in one form or another.
    Forza Ferrari

You would get penalized by not finishing the race.....and tyre management has always been there in one form or another.
    Thank-you.

It is A form of racing then currently.

Thank-you.

It is A form of racing then currently.
    It always has been A form of racing.....
    Forza Ferrari

It always has been A form of racing.....

IMO, it's not THE form of racing when compared to the 90/s to 2013.

IMO, it's not THE form of racing when compared to the 90/s to 2013.
    And the 90's were not the same as the 80's that were not the same as the 70's...nearly every racing series has evolved from the 90's to what it is now...
    Forza Ferrari

And the 90's were not the same as the 80's that were not the same as the 70's...nearly every racing series has evolved from the 90's to what it is
    now...
    This is true.....but not my point.

Penski buys f1 stroll and wolf purchase 51% of Ferrari f1.more to unfold? Ferrari news 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Penski buys f1 stroll and wolf purchase 51% of Ferrari f1.more to unfold? Ferrari news 24/7.
    I assume this is an April fool, paolo, if it isn't then F1 is a huge joke.

Tyre management has always been a part of F1 as has reliability....
    Part of it, it is true, but NOT to the extent that it’s been done in today’s F1 format

I disagree. Currently, F1 is A form of "racing" but not THE form of racing.

Currently F1 is about reliability and tyre management.....started in 2014 with this hybrid turbo era....which I dislike. Before 2014, engines were revving above 18k rpm throughout the race and did'nt turn them down during the race to "save the engine"......it was more racing prior to 2014.

I also dislike the array of tires.
    Tyre management and reliability has always been the part of the game. My issue with the retro-F1 is that, a lot of people view it under rose tainted glasses.

You're reminiscing about those 18k red line-screaming V8/V10 engines rocketing around at full throttle, but casually forgetting brand new V8's or V10's engines often going pop after half a race. Which is entirely unthinkable nowadays.
    Many here dream of how close racing was, yet the 107% rule was introduced and backmarkers often failed to qualify. And let's not forget, the winning car often finishing the race with an advantage of a minute or two over the second placed car.
    It's all rose tinted goggles, a romanticized view to the past.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Tyre management and reliability has always been the part of the game. My issue with the retro-F1 is that, a lot of people view it under rose tainted glasses.

You're reminiscing about those 18k red line-screaming V8/V10 engines rocketing around at full throttle, but casually forgetting brand new V8's or V10's engines often going pop after half a race. Which is entirely unthinkable nowadays.
    Many here dream of how close racing was, yet the 107% rule was introduced and backmarkers often failed to qualify. And let's not forget, the winning car often finishing the race with an advantage of a minute or two over the second placed car.
    It's all rose tinted goggles, a romanticized view to the past.
    Tell those "popped" engines to the Schumi era, or Alonso or Vettel era.

We've gone thermal efficiency, reliability, and tyre crazy currently. These current hybrid Turbo engines run anywhere from 12k to 13k rpm during a race.

Yes, I would like "balls" out racing but would I ever see it again in F1....I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Part of it, it is true, but NOT to the extent that it’s been done in today’s F1 format
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    But it is true though, the current Pirelli Pzero's are the most durable tyres in the entire history of F1. Today's F1 cars are producing most downforce then ever before, and the lateral and longitudinal frictional force this tyres have to endure race after race is simply monumental. Even those durable Bridgestone slicks of 2010 wouldn't last 2 laps in current gen F1 cars. An example, Vettel's pole lap in 2010 was 1m18.773, last year Verstappen did 1m14.572, that's a flat 4 second improvement on a relatively short circuit, which is absolutely massive in F1.

If we put the current Pirelli's on a Ferrari F2004, I don't think it would require any pitstops for an entire GP. And lets not forget, those cars had ABS and Traction Control systems.

But it is true though, the current Pirelli Pzero's are the most durable tyres in the entire history of F1. Today's F1 cars are producing most downforce then ever before, and the lateral and longitudinal frictional force this tyres have to endure race after race is simply monumental. Even those durable Bridgestone slicks of 2010 wouldn't last 2 laps in current gen F1 cars. An example, Vettel's pole lap in 2010 was 1m18.773, last year Verstappen did 1m14.572, that's a flat 4 second improvement on a relatively short circuit, which is absolutely massive in F1.

If we put the current Pirelli's on a Ferrari F2004, I don't think it would require any pitstops for an entire GP. And lets not forget, those cars had ABS and Traction Control systems.
    Michelin could currently do it and make the tyres last longer with not so many compounds.....but they chose not to and don't believe the "Pirelli ethos of F1"

Michelin would rather do WEC.

Tell those "popped" engines to the Schumi era, or Alonso or Vettel era.

We've gone thermal efficiency, reliability, and tyre crazy currently. These current hybrid Turbo engines run anywhere from 12k to 13k rpm during a race.

Yes, I would like "balls" out racing but would I ever see it again in F1....I doubt it.
    Tell what to whom? Raikkonen lost 2005 WDC because of reliability issues, Schumacher lost 2006 title because of his engine failure in Japan, Vettel almost lost 2010 WDC because of reliability...those are few prime examples, and I am sure there are plenty more.

And who cares about 12k or 13k rpm. Today's V6 turbo's are more powerful than V10 or V8 ever was. Here's a nice quote from Mercedes engine boss Andy Cowell:

“If you look at the total power that we’ve got today and compare it with the V10, and the last few races of the V10 era, we have more power than we had at the end of the V10 era.

“If you look at the fuel flow rate of the V10 era, it was over 190kgs an hour, 194kgs an hour, and today we’re at 100kgs an hour. [It’s] the same power, [with] about half the fuel flow rate, which is a phenomenal change in terms of efficiency of the power unit, as we now call it.”
    As I said before, the 'golden era' is nothing but rose tainted view to the past. And that 'golden age' is: [insert time where fan started watching] and the racing was much better then, we didn't have one team domination unlike [time since golden age] and the cars looked better. don't forget the engines, oh my God the engines, they sounded so damn good, the modern hybrids don't sound as good, we should bring back [engine configuration most used at that time] because that was better.

Michelin could currently do it and make the tyres last longer with not so many compounds.....but they chose not to and don't believe the "Pirelli ethos of F1"

Michelin would rather do WEC.
    I don't have to believe any "ethos". All the data is available, all people have to do is use their neurons and some simple common sense.

And you're saying Michelin could currently do it, but based on what exactly? Most here often forgets, Pirelli have to design a chassis neutral tyres. Bridgestone and Michelin built chassis specific tyres so they had an easy job. And if there was a tyre war in current era, results would be even more skewed in favor of the big teams.

Tell what to whom? Raikkonen lost 2005 WDC because of reliability issues, Schumacher lost 2006 title because of his engine failure in Japan, Vettel almost lost 2010 WDC because of reliability...those are few prime examples, and I am sure there are plenty more.

And who cares about 12k or 13k rpm. Today's V6 turbo's are more powerful than V10 or V8 ever was. Here's a nice quote from Mercedes engine boss Andy Cowell:

“If you look at the total power that we’ve got today and compare it with the V10, and the last few races of the V10 era, we have more power than we had at the end of the V10 era.

As I said before, the 'golden era' is nothing but rose tainted view to the past. And that 'golden age' is: [insert time where fan started watching] and the racing was much better then, we didn't have one team domination unlike [time since golden age] and the cars looked better. don't forget the engines, oh my God the engines, they sounded so damn good, the modern hybrids don't sound as good, we should bring back [engine configuration most used at that time] because that was better.

It's amazing what Mercedes along with the other Manufacturers and engine builders what they have done with these hybrid engines and the level of efficiency they have achieved.

F1, to me when it comes to engines, is not about road relevance or efficiency. Open up the fuel flow rates and the rpms and quite possibly the current F1 cars would be faster...minus all the aero and DRS.

I don't have to believe any "ethos". All the data is available, all people have to do is use their neurons and some simple common sense.

And you're saying Michelin could currently do it, but based on what exactly? Most here often forgets, Pirelli have to design a chassis neutral tyres. Bridgestone and Michelin built chassis specific tyres so they had an easy job. And if there was a tyre war in current era, results would be even more skewed in favor of the big teams.
    Michelen tried to enter F1....but backed out of it not to long ago.

WOW GPTODAY HAS a article out today stating ferrari had a das system on the cars last year they call it pas.not as complicated as merc but does same thing and they will be able to continue with it as merc will be banned.trying to find more about this

Quote Originally Posted by djmorin27 View Post
    WOW GPTODAY HAS a article out today stating ferrari had a das system on the cars last year they call it pas.not as complicated as merc but does same thing and they will be able to continue with it as merc will be banned.trying to find more about this

https://translate.google.com/transla...3/&prev=search

It's still far better than the "good ol days" F1.
    Sure, because it has "evolved" with DAS , because it was no longer racing.Because it was so much down to aero, that overtaking was simply impossible.
    We have RBR and Newy to thanks for this btw.

I was watching 1986 racing yesterday,it was so much better, even if Ferrari was not competitive during that race. But racing?! Much better. And yes, there was tyre management back there too, but guess what,there was the option of mixing tyres, there was basically what there's not now, spicing up the race by different configurations.

So no, right now F1 is not what I loved.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Sure, because it has "evolved" with DAS , because it was no longer racing.Because it was so much down to aero, that overtaking was simply impossible.

I was watching 1986 racing yesterday,it was so much better, even if Ferrari was not competitive during that race. But racing?! Much better. And yes, there was tyre management back there too, but guess what,there was the option of mixing tyres, there was basically what there's not now, spicing up the race by different configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post

Yes it evolved with DRS, since our understanding of technology and knowledge has evolved with an amazing pace.

And as I said before, there were frequently a lot wider margins of victory. On youtube there are lot of race recaps and they're good to watch, but it often ends with the narrator announcing: "And the winner wins by over a minute/two margin", literally nobody would watch if that happens every now and again. And it was also common for more than half of the grid to retire.

And the most important fact is, I'm happy that F1 is no longer a blood sport. Back then if you ****** up, you died no matter the talent or car control. And only god knows how many nameless drivers were badly or permanently injured. And back it the day, we had more pay drivers than we have today.

Michelen tried to enter F1....but backed out of it not to long ago.
    Because they know they can't compete with Pirelli. Todays tyre construction requires a lot of serious development and research, and Michelin knows very well that they can longer get way with a half***ed job, as they did back in 2000's.

Because they know they can't compete with Pirelli. Todays tyre construction requires a lot of serious development and research, and Michelin knows very well that they can longer get way with a half***ed job, as they did back in 2000's.
    That's not it.

Michelin's ethos is making tyres or rubber last and not this "rainbow colored" tire selection currently in F1...which is why Michelin does WEC in all classes (LMP1, LMP2, GTLM, GTD).

All you need is 3 dry compounds.....hard, medium and soft...that's it. The wet compounds are fine currently in F1.

I'll give Pirelli kudos for keeping up with the demands of F1....hat's off to them.

And the most important fact is, I'm happy that F1 is no longer a blood sport. Back then if you ****** up, you died no matter the talent or car control. And only god knows how many nameless drivers were badly or permanently injured. And back it the day, we had more pay drivers than we have today.
    On that we both agree on.....Thank-God for carbon-fibre tubs.

F1 was more dangerous than sex.....now it's the other way around currently.

Bernie"s, whom is 89yo, wife Fabiana(46yo) is pregnant.

It will be Bernie's first son.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/12457...g&name=600x314

Bernie"s, whom is 89yo, wife Fabiana(46yo) is pregnant.

It will be Bernie's first son.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/12457...g&name=600x314
    Possible at this age to blast the crap out of something?