Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122233459 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 F1 news/rumours

Viral Attenuation and Evolution
    People mistakenly think evolution is about survival of the fittest - its not. It is about one thing only - replication. It gets down to a competition - which can out-copy the other. What throws the balance in favor of one or the other is circumstance or environment. Viruses are no different.
    Humans replicate relatively slowly but we have memetic as well as genetic evolution. Viruses replicate super fast. Because the replication is a chemical/analogue process every copy is ever so slightly different. So think about each slight variation in each copy in the trillions and bazzilions of copies that happen with this, and other viruses.
    One way of classifying each copy of each instance of the Sars-Cov-2 virus would be as slightly more harmful and slightly less harmful. When we don't isolate, which of those 2 categories will dominate? Variations that are more harmful will debilitate and kill their host - causing their host to have less opportunity to infect other virus-carrying machines (humans). The less harmful versions don't debilitate or kill their hosts, so their hosts can spread more of their version. This process is called viral attenuation. The virus becomes weaker when allowed to run its course because that's the most effective way to replicate.
    With our extreme, all-encompassing isolation behavior the virus attenuates far less. We are changing the environment in which the replications happen. By removing the advantage the "weaker" copies had over the more harmful versions, we are tipping the evolutionary scales more in favor of the more harmful copies. Sadly we are not only doing this for the Sars-Cov-2 virus, we are doing it for the flu and all the other viruses that exist. Our intention may be good - to prevent the spread of this virus, but we are creating an environment that will favor more harmful versions of all viruses being created for the future.

A little bit more associated with viral attenuation .... or why locking ourselves away can have detrimental effects.

One of the most effective killers of all viruses is simply being outdoors on a sunny day. It doesn't even have to be warm. The suns UV rays are very powerful, and they are particularly lethal to viruses - including the Sars-Cov-2 virus.

For every virus molecule shed by a host that infects someone else, billions are shed that to not reach another host. For all the hosts infected that are outdoors on sunny days, the vast majority of the viroids they shed die. But they still float about in the atmosphere. When uninfected people come in contact with the dead viroids, or even parts of dead viroids, that persons immune system still reacts to the unknown invader. Their bodies start building a defence.

The more of this sort of exposure we get, the greater our chances are in dealing with the real virus when we finally get exposed to a live viroid.

Infected people staying indoors on sunny days stops billions of viroids from each carrier being killed by the suns UV emissions.

Uninfected people staying indoors prevents them from building an immune response.

It may be no co-incidence that, in severely effected areas of China, where there was a dramatic drop in infections extreme isolation measures were not implemented before the the weather turned sunny.
    Last edited by enjaybel3; 29th March 2020 at 01:19. Reason: Added more on Viral Attenuation

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    You said it... we don't know. There are already some people from medicine saying this virus can leave your lungs permanently damaged, even if you survive, it may have effects on your liver and spleen, it can even possibly cause sterility. I would do EVERYTHING in my power to not get infected.
    The virus is a real problem and very dangerous. It's our fate as humans to live in a world full of such dangers. Our mortality is also a fate we cannot avoid.
    But we also have choices and skills. We can learn and improve our understanding. It's my opinion that we need to be rational and choose the best path to navigate forward for ourselves, our families and humanity. Extreme, all-encompassing isolation isn't the optimum path. Of course that's just my considered opinion.
    Last edited by enjaybel3; 28th March 2020 at 08:21.

Quote Originally Posted by enjaybel3 View Post
    The virus is a real problem and very dangerous. It's our fate as humans to live in a world full of such dangers. Our mortality is also a fate we cannot avoid.
    But we also have choices and skills. We can learn and improve our understanding. It's my opinion that we need to be rational and choose the best path to navigate forward for ourselves, our families and humanity. Extreme, all-encompassing isolation isn't the optimum path. Of course that's just my considered opinion.
    Sure, but letting everyone doing whatever they want, getting infected and spreading it to everyone else is not the way either. Let's say it really has the long-term side effects and will make the population sterile (I'm not saying it's the case, but we don't know it yet) what then? We would save the economics for our generation, but there would not be any other generation after us. That's why the "less needed" proffessions are now closed in most countries and just the currently needed ones are keeping the economics somehow running. I for example still do go to work, as I am working as a head of few gas stations and these must stay open, but we have just enough protection (face masks, desinfection gels, soaps and other cleaners, plexi glass separating customers from service etc) which most of the people just can not have. So it's safer and in the long run better for everyone I believe to stay home for few weeks (even few months) to get rid of the virus, then waiting for calamity to happen, which could destroy much more.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Sure, but letting everyone doing whatever they want, getting infected and spreading it to everyone else is not the way either. Let's say it really has the long-term side effects and will make the population sterile (I'm not saying it's the case, but we don't know it yet) what then? We would save the economics for our generation, but there would not be any other generation after us. That's why the "less needed" proffessions are now closed in most countries and just the currently needed ones are keeping the economics somehow running. I for example still do go to work, as I am working as a head of few gas stations and these must stay open, but we have just enough protection (face masks, desinfection gels, soaps and other cleaners, plexi glass separating customers from service etc) which most of the people just can not have. So it's safer and in the long run better for everyone I believe to stay home for few weeks (even few months) to get rid of the virus, then waiting for calamity to happen, which could destroy much more.
    It is not rational thinking when we allow ridiculous rumors, that have no basis in fact, and have already been completely discredited, to allow us to justify destroying families, lives, stop people getting medical treatments and surgeries and put those truly at risk in greater danger than necessary. That is not rational behavior - it is fear driven behavior.
    One of our strengths is our ability to solve problems.
    What we really need is calm thinking based only on data and validations, not speculation and sensationalism or fear of stupid rumors.
    Last edited by enjaybel3; 28th March 2020 at 14:53.

Isolation works fine to stop the spread of the virus. The problem is that only small amounts of people are gaining an immunity from it. A vaccine won't be ready for months and without a vaccine, if the isolation order is lifted, high rates of infection will be the norm again. As data starts accumulating, we are starting to see that the mortality rate of this virus is not as dire as was predicted and will probably drop as more and more people are infected and recover. I think we also have to accept that possibly millions of people may have already had the virus and not known or had mild symptoms and recovered on their own. Unfortunate as it sounds, sooner or later the public will need to be exposed, for both economic and health reasons. Hopefully health care systems will be better equipped for this second wave.

I came here today to see what was going on with Ferrari and F1.
    Instead what I found is a perverse discussion about what value a HUMAN life has.
    After this post I will be leaving here and not returning.
    Buona fortuna to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marino View Post
    Instead what I found is a perverse discussion about what value a HUMAN life has.
    From one NC resident to another. Bye Felicia.

Dude. There is no F1 right now, this is what everyone is talking about. Factories are closed, races are canceled. There is nothing else to discuss.

That’s some Grade A silliness. A virus that attacks your respiratory tract leaves you shootings blanks. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marino View Post
    Your 83rd. post since 2003 ! Don't go , please stay !! Max, Charles and lewis are worth waiting for. I am anxious to know how much $$ Ferrari is willing to offer Seb to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Here is one problem with that thinking; of those dying from the virus now, the vast majority would be dead within the next 12-18 months anyway. Is THAT really worth killing business and the economy over?

Reports from Italy are that 99% of those who have died so far had other pre-existing conditions. So again, the outlier cases don’t really mean a whole much.

In 2019 the death rate in Italy was 10.7/1000. That means 1,759 dead per day on a regular basis. On the worst day Italy had 793 deaths in one day from COVID19 so still not exceeding the number who die in a typical day. How many of those would have been part of the 1,759?

If you look at the numbers it really isn’t even that much of a risk.
    false reasoning.
    Pre existing condition does not equal death.
    Meaning, that for instance, diabetes, is a condition you can live with for years. HOWEVER, it compromises your immune system, and that is a problem as it stands with COVID-19.
    The whole problem with COVID-19 is that once you get it, you are in a fight with time until your body can fight it off, usually 15-17 days, your body being in need for oxygen.
    If you have issues such as diabetes, your immune system is already compromised and these 17 days are no longer valid, it can be 5-7 days.

And what people (apparently it includes you) does not understand the simple fact the more people get sick, the more people are bound to be sick, whatever this means!
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Viral Attenuation and Evolution
    People mistakenly think evolution is about survival of the fittest - its not. It is about one thing only - replication. It gets down to a competition - which can out-copy the other. What throws the balance in favor of one or the other is circumstance or environment. Viruses are no different.
    Humans replicate relatively slowly but we have memetic as well as genetic evolution. Viruses replicate super fast. Because the replication is a chemical/analogue process every copy is ever so slightly different. So think about each slight variation in each copy in the trillions and bazzilions of copies that happen with this, and other viruses.
    One way of classifying each copy of each instance of the Sars-Cov-2 virus would be as slightly more harmful and slightly less harmful. When we don't isolate, which of those 2 categories will dominate? Variations that are more harmful will debilitate and kill their host - causing their host to have less opportunity to infect other virus-carrying machines (humans). The less harmful versions don't debilitate or kill their hosts, so their hosts can spread more of their version. This process is called viral attenuation. The virus becomes weaker when allowed to run its course because that's the most effective way to replicate.
    With our extreme, all-encompassing isolation behavior the virus attenuates far less. We are changing the environment in which the replications happen. By removing the advantage the "weaker" copies had over the more harmful versions, we are tipping the evolutionary scales more in favor of the more harmful copies. Sadly we are not only doing this for the Sars-Cov-2 virus, we are doing it for the flu and all the other viruses that exist. Our intention may be good - to prevent the spread of this virus, but we are creating an environment that will favor more harmful versions of all viruses being created for the future.

A little bit more associated with viral attenuation .... or why locking ourselves away can have detrimental effects.

One of the most effective killers of all viruses is simply being outdoors on a sunny day. It doesn't even have to be warm. The suns UV rays are very powerful, and they are particularly lethal to viruses - including the Sars-Cov-2 virus.

For every virus molecule shed by a host that infects someone else, billions are shed that to not reach another host. For all the hosts infected that are outdoors on sunny days, the vast majority of the viroids they shed die. But they still float about in the atmosphere. When uninfected people come in contact with the dead viroids, or even parts of dead viroids, that persons immune system still reacts to the unknown invader. Their bodies start building a defence.

The more of this sort of exposure we get, the greater our chances are in dealing with the real virus when we finally get exposed to a live viroid.

Infected people staying indoors on sunny days stops billions of viroids from each carrier being killed by the suns UV emissions.

Uninfected people staying indoors prevents them from building an immune response.

It may be no co-incidence that, in severely effected areas of China, where there was a dramatic drop in infections extreme isolation measures were not implemented before the the weather turned sunny.
    I beg to disagree, I'm living in Philippines, know what our weather temp here? 30-34 degrees but right now our cases for 1 week since our lock down imposed were hitting 1,100 already, considering our country is 3rd world without right equipment, so the numbers is not that accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by JChan View Post
    I beg to disagree, I'm living in Philippines, know what our weather temp here? 30-34 degrees but right now our cases for 1 week since our lock down imposed were hitting 1,100 already, considering our country is 3rd world without right equipment, so the numbers is not that accurate.
    Kamusta dude,
    I'm following the Philippines closely. Please note it's not temperature I'm referring to. Its UV. And the demise of the virus in the open is a slow time consuming process. The UV will speed it up but it depends on which UV, A, B or C. C is most effective but there is very little that reaches the surface of earth.
    And also it is not a surgical process. We are talking about balance over time. Remember China started last year. So we are all a long way behind them.
    We will still have to deal with covid-19 for a long time. It's just that locking everyone up in strict isolation, IMO, isn't the best solution.
    Ingat ka!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The US through the CDC has announced they are extending the social distancing and industry shutdown through April 30. They also said it's possible it could be extended until June 1st. Looks like a very abbreviated F1 season to me.

Kamusta dude,
    I'm following the Philippines closely. Please note it's not temperature I'm referring to. Its UV. And the demise of the virus in the open is a slow time consuming process. The UV will speed it up but it depends on which UV, A, B or C. C is most effective but there is very little that reaches the surface of earth.
    And also it is not a surgical process. We are talking about balance over time. Remember China started last year. So we are all a long way behind them.
    We will still have to deal with covid-19 for a long time. It's just that locking everyone up in strict isolation, IMO, isn't the best solution.
    Ingat ka!

1k plus na positive dito, yung namamatay konti palang hindi pa umabot 100, pero duda ko hindi tama yung numbers kasi behind talaga Pinas sa mga gamit.

Too many internet doctors and scientist and experts!
    let's talk about something else they don't know about...Formula One.
    Changes aren't permanent........But change is.
    ALL LIVES MATTER... EVEN YOURS

lol yeah we have gone from aero and strategy experts to scientists

Slightly F1 related but Merc have designed a ventilator system along with a college and if trials go as well as expected they can produce 1000 a day. Well done to them
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    lol yeah we have gone from aero and strategy experts to scientists

Slightly F1 related but Merc have designed a ventilator system along with a college and if trials go as well as expected they can produce 1000 a day. Well done to them
    Does it come with a DAS option?
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by JChan View Post
    1k plus na positive dito, yung namamatay konti palang hindi pa umabot 100, pero duda ko hindi tama yung numbers kasi behind talaga Pinas sa mga gamit.
    Tama ka. Not enough tests. Mag check ang mga may sakit. Anak ko dun. Pasentia kasi tagalog ko ay pangit. When they test more you will have a better idea of real numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Does it come with a DAS option?
    Red Bull have protested it
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Red Bull have protested it

Speaking of Red Bull...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...ntract-covid19

Last edited by stefa; 30th March 2020 at 15:16.

Marko couldn't even catch a cold in a freezer...
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Marko couldn't even catch a cold in a freezer...
    He reminds me of the old boss vampire out of underworld

Fancy that DR DEATH MARKO wanting red bull drivers to catch coved 19 what an absolute clown.F1 should fold just to get rid of vermon aca Dr Death.Marko belongs in a lab with rats that's about his credentials.

Formula 1 teams are looking to delay the introduction of the new technical regulations by one more year until 2023, according to Red Bull Racing chief Christian Horner.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...Kz7Bfx45S9Xtiw
    ---
    3 more easy Hamilton titles then....Lewis could retire then with 9 titles and not having to face any competetion once Merc is not dominating. His records will never be beaten.

Lets hope by 2023 we could see some battles at the front again. A long 3 years from now. Sad.
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
    Formula 1 teams are looking to delay the introduction of the new technical regulations by one more year until 2023, according to Red Bull Racing chief Christian Horner.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...Kz7Bfx45S9Xtiw
    ---
    3 more easy Hamilton titles then....Lewis could retire then with 9 titles and not having to face any competetion once Merc is not dominating. His records will never be beaten.

Lets hope by 2023 we could see some battles at the front again. A long 3 years from now. Sad.
    If this did happen and the new tech regs don't come into play until 2023, hopefully Lewis will have retired and Merc probably withdrawn from F1, or at least be run by some other outfit. Then again, it may be 3 years before we get any racing, by which time F1 will probably have died. Perish the thought!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    If this did happen and the new tech regs don't come into play until 2023, hopefully Lewis will have retired and Merc probably withdrawn from F1, or at least be run by some other outfit. Then again, it may be 3 years before we get any racing, by which time F1 will probably have died. Perish the thought!
    Maybe that is for the best, as this new age so called F1 is pure @#$%@!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    as much as i agree with your statement to same degree, both you and I as well as all Ferrari fans on this forum and around the world would NOT be saying that this new age of F1 is pure $#!% IF FERRARI would have been the team that had WON all the WCC's and WDC's since 2014 instead of Mercedes...

but yeah, to some degree F1 in the last decade or so has NOT been the same.....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    It's still far better than the "good ol days" F1.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    It's still far better than the "good ol days" F1.

I disagree. Currently, F1 is A form of "racing" but not THE form of racing.

Currently F1 is about reliability and tyre management.....started in 2014 with this hybrid turbo era....which I dislike. Before 2014, engines were revving above 18k rpm throughout the race and did'nt turn them down during the race to "save the engine"......it was more racing prior to 2014.

I also dislike the array of tires.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Tyre management has always been a part of F1 as has reliability....
    Forza Ferrari