Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Pre-season Testing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Of course you can, and it's a completely normal procedure. That's what Ferrari and every other team does when they introduce new parts, or test correlations between the old and new parts.
    And it's not that hard to follow Ferrari's testing plan. All you had to do was read what the drivers were saying. They're trying to learn more about the car, which means throwing different setup's at it and see how it behaves.

And read what Binotto said, he "thinks" Ferrari are behind, because he like everyone else, has know idea about the true pecking order. Let's say Ferrari ends up 0.1-0.2 sec behind Mercedes at Australia, would you consider that result as failure? because I wouldn't.
    no, of course i wouldn't....as a matter of fact i'd be delighted.....1-2 tenths is nothing for a team like Ferrari to recover....we were 7 tenths or more if i remember correcltly last year in OZ.....and that to say the least i was pretty disappointed....

only time will tale mate as testing should be taken with grain of salt....or lots
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Hopefully Binotto is blagging,we’ll see where we are after qualy in Australia,if were miles behind then I’ll go into meltdown mode for the rest of the season

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    no, of course i wouldn't....as a matter of fact i'd be delighted.....1-2 tenths is nothing for a team like Ferrari to recover....we were 7 tenths or more if i remember correcltly last year in OZ.....and that to say the least i was pretty disappointed....

only time will tale mate as testing should be taken with grain of salt....or lots
    That's the right approach. I mean what exactly Ferrari achieved last year by dominating the 2019 testing?

And nothing stays static in F1. Just because Ferrari are struggling with their car in Barcelona, doesn't mean they're going to struggle everywhere.

Some meaningless data:

Bottas, 1:15.732, C5. S: 21.805, 28.120, 25.807
    Ham, 1:16.516(+0.748), C5. S: 21.891(+0.086), 28.164(+0.044), 26.324(+0.517)
    Vettel, 1:18.154(+2.422), C4. S: 22.245(+0.440), 29.123(+1.003), 26.623(+0.816)
    Leclerc, 1:18.289(+2.557), C3. S: 22.449(+0.644), 29.042(+0.922), 26.666(+0.859)

Binotto also explained that the SF1000 "will not differ much" from testing to Melbourne and said Ferrari will not be a big update package to Australia.

Mercos brought a B-spec last year on the second test.....We are look like mid field team guys.

I booked for the spanish GP (father birthday) i should go to port avantura then.

Really upset about that c'mon no inovations, just an fu... evolution as usual for no results

That's what's upsets me the most !!!!!
    We look so lost ,not managing to achieve anything good with this car!!!! Allmost the same as last year . So 1 year later with the same regulations and so an evolution of last year's car, and still we are fascing the same problems and worse bigger ones !!!!
    Sorry but that's not a championship winning team actions !!!!!

#AMuS Mercedes has once again built the fastest car. Red Bull hopes to catch up through upgrades. Red Bull promises bigger changes until the start of the season. The team lists front wing, bargeboards and floor.

https://t.co/H92IPA7d6Q

#F1Testing

Look at REDBULL, the are fighting it with everything they've got!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

So let's end this now mercedes win everything again Lewis is the greatest ever mercedes the best team in the history of fi.Red bull a distant second with max taking 3rd again in WDC.Ferrari limp home in possibly 3rd place in wcc championship a mile behind but having to fight hard for it.Then the Ferrari circus starts again with all the jargon and excuses under the sun, but as professionals always curtios and respectful of the winning teams.This is Ferrari 2020.What a night mare scenario.

Just what happened to this team...

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Ferrari is 2nd fastest, but the problem is this year Merc is more dominant than earlier. Hard to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Autosport saying tyre degradation on Ferrari is quite a bit worse compared to rivals Mercedes and Red Bull.
    http://scuderiafans.com/sebastian-ve...ll-f1-testing/

From the F1Debrief account on Twitter we can find the lap times for Seb’s last stint today:

out
    1: 21.780
    1: 21.844
    1: 22.094
    1: 22.025
    1: 22.051
    1: 22.108
    1: 22.360
    1: 22.775
    1: 22.501
    1: 22.625
    1: 22.437
    1: 22.533
    1: 22.317
    1: 22.435
    1: 22.382
    pr. pit stop
    pr. pit stop
    in

not that bad...

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Ferrari is 2nd fastest, but the problem is this year Merc is more dominant than earlier. Hard to catch them.
    You sure we are second? Red Bull hasn’t been standing still and last time I checked Racing Point is running an identical copy to the W10. We may be 3-4th fastest come Australia. I can see Racing Point occupying the third step regularly. I hope I can eat my words and Ferrari surprises everyone on the second test or start of the season. Here’s hoping.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    You sure we are second? Red Bull hasn’t been standing still and last time I checked Racing Point is running an identical copy to the W10. We may be 3-4th fastest come Australia. I can see Racing Point occupying the third step regularly. I hope I can eat my words and Ferrari surprises everyone on the second test or start of the season. Here’s hoping.

yeah.............................................. ....................................yeah.......... ........
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Your all bloody red and wrong!!! Its going to be Williams back on top this year!!

lighten up guys its just testing

yes Alonso's back

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    lulz. For all we know we will be behind RBR and last year's Merc in Racing Point paint.

with all the doom and gloom, are you all assuming that the current testing time discrepancy will be the same in Melbourne? It's safe to say this year's Ferrari is faster than last year's, yet Ferrari was some 2 plus seconds quicker one year ago. We might have 2 or 3 tenths to catch up, maybe a little more, or we could be right up there. It's obvious high fuel loads and low power modes are concealing their true speed by a huge margin, so don't expect the same gaps as we are seeing now. It will be much, much closer.

Day 3 results

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERUO8FAX0AEvUKj.jpg

Best times

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERUaNFcXUAMZiWl.jpg

Mercedes comfortably leading the way in the mileage department, while Ferrari are languishing at the rear (the third lowest amount of laps completed

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERU0DlQWAAEsWZt.jpg

Laps Completed Per Power Unit Manufacturer.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERUuWCeWsAcw7-D.jpg

All the race simulations from the first three-day test

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERUH9DKXYAAfgdq.png

Ferrari: a lubrication problem has stopped Vettel

https://translate.google.com/transla...4/&prev=search

First 3 days of pre-season testing in Barcelona - teams' kilometreage
    1. Mercedes 2300km
    2. Red Bull 2193km
    3. Alfa Romeo 1974km
    4. McLaren 1969km
    8. Ferrari 1648km
    9. Williams 1508km
    10. Haas 1471km

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERVGn29XYAE5D7Q.png

Engine manufacturer's mileage:
    1. Mercedes 5535km
    2. Ferrari 5093km
    3. Honda 3980km
    4. Renault 3738km

per car:
    1. Honda 1990km
    2. Renault 1869km
    3. Mercedes 3845km
    4. Ferrari 1698km

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERVHQTQWAAAcY0O.png

I have decide to shut myself down to any F1 related news until Australia GP.
    I am old enough, and I am way to many years into this sport, to know that this is winter testing, but it is quite depressing...

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I have decide to shut myself down to any F1 related news until Australia GP.
    Australia 2021? ;)

It's just testing and we are bagging sand, downplaying all etc different approach. (I hope)
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

I think there are issues with our car. If they can get on top of these problems remains to be seen. It's still testing. However things are certainly not looking great. I hope our car still has a lot of unlocked performance. And I certainly don't hope that we have correlation issues with our windtunnel. Because everything Mercedes bolts on seems to work. And we definitely need more clever staff to invent some clever solutions for 2021. This season will be very long. I am preparing for a third best at this moment. Everone is eager to see if DAS brings Mercedes what they expect or if it will hamper them. I am so tired of Mercedes fanboy smirking. And for our engine problems. Lubrication problem. Didn't we manage to use less lubrication for our engine? Let's hope we didn't overdo it.

Looks like there could be a grand total of zero Grands Prix watched by myself this season unless this cluster-f changes and fast. Can't even look at the (insert expletive here) Gandalf cheats no more and now they get away with having a moveable god damn steering wheel??? I already skipped 2014 altogether and watched none of it post-Austria in 2016 so I'd definitely not rule it out. Also, to hell with being a "racing family". I have zero respect for ANYONE supporting that grey trash and the #44 Instagram fanboys at all. They're just cheats. Yes: C-H-E-A-T-S. No more, no less. Liberty, FIA and the British media complicit in this Lance Armstrong on four wheels-show. Every single bit of the whole thing.

They (FIA) stacked 2017 and 2018 against us already and now they allow their steering wheel to be an aero device? Gotta love how anyone can seriously claim this is a fair fight
    Last edited by Tifoso Svedese; 21st February 2020 at 23:10.

I've seen some well reasoned, measured responses today with a good dose of reality setting in that perhaps this team really doesn't know how to get out of it's own way...

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese
    Looks like there could be a grand total of zero Grands Prix watched by myself this season unless this cluster-f changes and fast. Can't even look at the (insert expletive here) Gandalf cheats no more and now they get away with having a moveable god damn steering wheel??? I already skipped 2014 altogether and watched none of it post-Austria in 2016 so I'd definitely not rule it out. Also, to hell with being a "racing family". I have zero respect for ANYONE supporting that grey trash and the #44 Instagram fanboys at all. They're just cheats. Yes: C-H-E-A-T-S. No more, no less. Liberty, FIA and the British media complicit in this Lance Armstrong on four wheels-show. Every single bit of the whole thing.

They (FIA) stacked 2017 and 2018 against us already and now they allow their steering wheel to be an aero device? Gotta love how anyone can seriously claim this is a fair fight
    I take everything I said about measured and reasonable back

Continue on, I'll see you all for FP1 in Australia!

RED MIST: WRITE FERRARI OFF AT YOUR OWN PERIL

The smart money suggests that it would be risqué to write Ferrari off in spite of the Italian team’s less than convincing opening Formula 1 test week at Barcelona.

“We focused on understanding our new car and how it behaves in all conditions,” Ferrari race team boss Mattia Binotto pointed out in conversation with Italian media on Friday.

“We ran our new SF1000 at the extremes of its aerodynamic and suspension set-up this week in an effort to better understand the correlation between the car on track and what our simulation equipment suggested back at Maranello. “So we have not yet focused on performance — that was never in this week’s plan and we did not run anything close to an optimal set-up.

As anticipated in the off-season, Ferrari will evaluate two configurations of SF1000 though the two test weeks, with an an evolution due out in the second week: “Don’t expect a huge difference in what you see,” Binotto warned. “The changes are mostly under the skin. “While we have not yet worked to optimise performance, but both drivers reported that the SF1000 delivers improved aerodynamic loading and that the car is easier to set up to their particular driving styles. “Sebastian and Charles are also comfortable with the car, so we are happy with the SF1000’s versatility so far.

“Looking at the others, while both Mercedes and Red Bull were are very fast, we doubt that either has yet concentrated on absolute performance — we’re sure that they have room for improvement too, so it is really difficult to understand our prospects for Australia. “We should have a better idea by the last two test days testing next week, once we have optimised our car’s set-up and performance and carried out race simulations ahead of Melbourne.”

Moving on to Mercedes’ controversial Dual Axis Suspension, Binotto did not rule out Ferrari trying something similar this season: “This system is innovative, but we have had several less visible novelties on our car that were adopted by other teams too. “The FIA ​​has endorsed the device, yet it seems to be banned for 2021, but with 22 races this year, we need to understand how much performance it can bring and evaluate if it is worth putting onto our car.”

Binotto remained coy when quizzed if Ferrari can beat Mercedes this year: “I think it is too early to tell, but the Ferrari will already be different in Australia. “Mercedes and Red Bull have been very fast, but we will only be able to compare our performance relative to them next week, or in Australia. “We have 22 grands prix to race in 2020 and while I am less optimistic than I was in 2019, maybe we were too positive last year and we have no idea how the season will start. “Remember, this is a very long campaign and we will fight hard, regardless of our pace at the first race.”

So, while there may have been some dismay at Ferrari’s pace, the team made no bones of the fact that it would not be chasing glory laps at all early on in the tests. Maranello now appears to have fulfilled its promises leaving the team, its rivals and most observers with no idea about the new SF1000’s real pace.

The second week of testing may yet provide a better clue, but as they say in the classics, do not hold your breath — the men in red seem to be playing a canny game and it may yet take a little time for its real potential to come to the fore… – Michele Lupini
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    Yup... Ferrari’s plan is different for this testing. “Understand the car”. Which I don’t understand it.
    2nd week they will focus on “We understood the car”.
    In Aus GP they will realise “we are designed good car”.
    By the end of Abu Dhabi GP they come to conclusion “it’s a good car but not championship winning car”.
    Don’t compare Aus GP as Ferrari’s performance or on racing grid order. Relatively it’s a poor track for us.

We will be fighting with RB for most part of the season. Mercs is far ahead of all. It’s their championship to loose.

Just a thought but with many IFs!!!!!
    Vettel did a longish stint with C2 before he retired.
    He's times was
    out
    1: 21.780
    1: 21.844
    1: 22.094
    1: 22.025
    1: 22.051
    1: 22.108
    1: 22.360
    1: 22.775
    1: 22.501
    1: 22.625
    1: 22.437
    1: 22.533
    1: 22.317
    1: 22.435
    1: 22.382
    pr. pit stop

Now if you take the 1st stint of Ham's and Ves's race sims
    Attachment 7676
    You take average lap times
    Vet - Ham - Ves
    1:22.284, 1:22.199, and 1:22.818

That is IF we consider that Vet was full on fuel like the start of a race sim.

So nothing conclusive here, just a thought ,because there are 2 ways you can read it
    1st that he actually was in the start of a race sim or he was simulating that ,and in this case we are quite good ,pretty good I would say
    OR it was a regular average stint with less fuel and in this case we are as bad as we look !!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

As always, lets just wait until the start of the season to see where we are.
    I just hope that Merc's DAS thing isn't going to be a huge advantage.

Speaking of innovation, Ferrari did have some last season that was good enough to trigger our competitors to complain.
    Shame that we didnt' get the "it's OK this season but banned next year" treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    As always, lets just wait until the start of the season to see where we are.
    I just hope that Merc's DAS thing isn't going to be a huge advantage.

Speaking of innovation, Ferrari did have some last season that was good enough to trigger our competitors to complain.
    Shame that we didnt' get the "it's OK this season but banned next year" treatment.
    This is where I call “ferrari loosing”, they are not strong to have their say & move accordingly.
    RB & Mercs are currently having good ground on FIA.

If Sergio M is around I think situation would have been different in terms of political moves in F1.
    Last edited by nani_s23; 22nd February 2020 at 08:09.