Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Pre-season Testing Thread

Thanks. that's what I was afraid of...

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    Thanks. that's what I was afraid of...

We don't know yet if this DAS system will be a benefit during quali and during the race but it is innovative......risky too....hence the testing.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    They never rest. They're always raising the bar to that next level...innovatng.

This steering wheel innovation will be the talk in the paddock, social media and so on for the 1st half of the season.
    So, I'll probably skip the entire season.... I wonder how long Binotto will survive as TP, this season will probably be winless

They're bloody relentless and ruthless. (The Mercs)

Reminds me of how we used to be during the glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    So, I'll probably skip the entire season.... I wonder how long Binotto will survive as TP, this season will probably be winless
    Wait 3 or 4 races before calling it quits.

I'm still going to watch the whole season.

If this is deemed legal it shouldn't be the most difficult to replicate.

What's our lap count today?

Quote Originally Posted by h3ro View Post

Yes, but back then you could test and evolve as much as you liked which gave ample opportunity to our opponents to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    Yes, but back then you could test and evolve as much as you liked which gave ample opportunity to our opponents to catch up.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by h3ro View Post

Ferrari has never recovered from the testing ban/restrictions. We haven’t been competitive since.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

CL - 49

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    Ferrari has never recovered from the testing ban/restrictions. We haven’t been competitive since.
    Sadly this is true, in the new era with limited testing we’ve been crippled ever since
    We relied a lot on the fiorano test track, using it day and night to set up the car and make upgrades work
    Now top teams like Merc and red bull do it all in the wind tunnel and CFD and when they put the car on track it works out of the box....

We just don’t seem to have that knowledge capability or maybe tools to build a good car from the get go...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

LIVE Formula 1 Testing - Day 2 - Afternoon Session

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfoQRkrBrk
    This doesn’t seem to work anymore....any other link that works?

Much appreciated
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post

Much appreciated
    https://youtu.be/fQh-AyEFpkU

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post

Much appreciated

F1 TESTING 2020 DAY 2 - SESSION 2 BARCELONA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi_WjvtncKk

6 months I have heard mention

Quote Originally Posted by evo_spook View Post
    6 months I have heard mention
    a couple of months according to this article

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/2...t-in-barcelona

Is there any problem with the car today? I hardly saw the car out today, may be it is just that when I was watching the car is in pits.

a couple of months according to this article

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/2...t-in-barcelona
    That article posts all of the relevant regulations that the Merc steering would breach, then goes on to say that the FIA have already deemed it legal more Merc-ham favouritism going on I see.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

That article posts all of the relevant regulations that the Merc steering would breach, then goes on to say that the FIA have already deemed it legal more Merc-ham favouritism going on I see.
    I think all teams should protest on safety grounds. if it can be moved back and forth it can't be properly secured.

I think all teams should protest on safety grounds. if it can be moved back and forth it can't be properly secured.
    I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but trust me when I say the that the FIA will not hinder Merc and Ham from getting his 7th. Unless all the teams stand unanimously together and protest (won’t happen), the FIA will let Merc do whatever they want.

Surprised RB hasn’t complained yet, only when it’s Ferrai do they jump up and protest.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but trust me when I say the that the FIA will not hinder Merc and Ham from getting his 7th. Unless all the teams stand unanimously together and protest (won’t happen), the FIA will let Merc do whatever they want.

Surprised RB hasn’t complained yet, only when it’s Ferrai do they jump up and protest.
    I agree.

I'm also anxiously waiting to hear from big mouth Helmut Marco. He was willing to protest our PU even before the season started.

Remember mercedes have always had a 2 year development advantage thanks to certain turncoat with big mouths that have feathered there own nests, and it's paid big time and will continue to do so until this current era rests in peace .

Watching Sky and their adoration for Lewis and Mercedes and the overhyped DAS system is getting very annoying. They are talking about it as if none of the other teams will stand a chance this year. Pretty tiring...

TECH INSIGHT: Have Mercedes just changed the game with new steering wheel system?

F1 fans’ eyes were drawn to onboards of Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes W11 on Day 2 of 2020 pre-season testing at Barcelona, as footage appeared to show him moving his steering wheel in the car to effect a change in the W11’s attitude. Mark Hughes analyses what’s going on inside the new Silver Arrows machine…

Mercedes created a stir on the second day of testing as an on-board camera showed Lewis Hamilton pushing and pulling on the steering column, using a mechanism that appeared to change the alignment of the front wheels.

Hamilton would pull the wheel back on the column as he drove down the straight (which had the effect of straightening-out the usual ‘toe-out’ of the wheels) and would then push it back down just before the corner, at which point the wheels would adopt their conventional ‘toe-out’ setting.

Typically an F1 car will be set up so that its front wheels are aligned with ‘toe-out’, which simply means that they splay out at the bottom away from the centre of the car, with the top pointing inwards.

The reason they are set in this way is to create a tiny delay in the front tyres loading up as the car is turned in so that the rear tyres do not have too sudden an instantaneous load placed upon them, which would make the car feel unstable on turn in.

However, this means that on the straight the outer edge of the tyre’s tread surface is being heated up more than is the remainder of its width.

With the Mercedes mechanism the tyres will be heated more evenly across their width as they run fully upright, but the benefits of toe-out can still be deployed into the corner. It will be of particular benefit on circuits with long straights.

It’s a fully mechanical device, likely using the column movement to activate a lever acting upon the wheel hubs. It will add a whole new dimension to the tools available to the driver in trimming the balance of the car and looking after the tyres.

The full picture of how exactly Mercedes’ system works will doubtless become clearer in the next few days. But one thing is clear: the reigning world champions certainly haven’t been taking their foot off the gas over the winter break…

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...taFZPCKC4.html
    Who wrote this? Tires pointing in at the top/bottom is camber, pointing in at the front/rear is toe. How do you become a writer, writing about auto racing if you say that toe is splaying out the tires at the bottom?

Only Renault did less laps than Ferrari today....

10.2.3 'No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion.'

Someone please explain to me how FIA let's this fly? Why do we even bother watching anymore if the fix is in?

Difference between champions team n other team.
    Mercs showing how to do it. Straight out of the box doing mileage.
    Other way ferrari & it’s driver say “we need to understand the car”.
    Just by sitting in the pits they don’t understand.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Difference between champions team n other team.
    Mercs showing how to do it. Straight out of the box doing mileage.
    Other way ferrari & it’s driver say “we need to understand the car”.
    Just by sitting in the pits they don’t understand.
    Maybe they are looking at it and therefore trying to understand it at some higher level

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    10.2.3 'No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion.'

Someone please explain to me how FIA let's this fly? Why do we even bother watching anymore if the fix is in?
    Shady....

Car looks stable in low speed corners, which was our weakness last year.

http://scuderiafans.com/watch-onboar...9jcP3COgN36K_M

What I would love to see is more laps!