Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Pre-season Testing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by djmorin27 View Post
    .....if it's only making front tires toe in and back to neutral fine but if it's doing all that and lifting ride height and then u can bet red bull will be asking others to join in and protest ..............

Under full wheel lock (ex. Monaco hairpin), does not the car change ride height in the front relative to the rake angle of the car????
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Well if u read what mec had last year regarding the upper a arm's mounted high off the hub they were changing the ride height because of the geometry when they turned the car.so from listening to some of the reports they may be changing the front ride height on the straights.think that's why red bull are very bothered by this

Regarding this Toe changing thing, I think there is one strong argument that should deem this illegal, and that's that you basically change the set-up of the car during the quali or the race, and that goes against the Parc Fermé rules, doesn't it?

You change the Toe and Camber stuff before the quali and then no alterations are allowed to the car afterwards, which is exactly the thing Mercedes were doing today.
    Ferrari per sempre !

Quote Originally Posted by djmorin27 View Post
    Well if u read what mec had last year regarding the upper a arm's mounted high off the hub they were changing the ride height because of the geometry when they turned the car.so from listening to some of the reports they may be changing the front ride height on the straights.think that's why red bull are very bothered by this
    Quote Originally Posted by SashAlex View Post
    Regarding this Toe changing thing, I think there is one strong argument that should deem this illegal, and that's that you basically change the set-up of the car during the quali or the race, and that goes against the Parc Fermé rules, doesn't it?

You change the Toe and Camber stuff before the quali and then no alterations are allowed to the car afterwards, which is exactly the thing Mercedes were doing today.

"Article 10.4.1 of the technical regulations states: "Any steering system which permits the re-alignment of more than two wheels is not permitted."

The only thing I can surmise with the Merc's DAS system is tire management.....therefore heating or cooling the tires. Whether it gives the W11 a time advantage on the track remains to be seen.

Whether Ferrari, RedBull or any other teams need to adopt this system and integrate it in their cars also remains to be seen. Too early to tell at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    "Article 10.4.1 of the technical regulations states: "Any steering system which permits the re-alignment of more than two wheels is not permitted."

The only thing I can surmise with the Merc's DAS system is tire management.....therefore heating or cooling the tires. Whether it gives the W11 a time advantage on the track remains to be seen.

Whether Ferrari, RedBull or any other teams need to adopt this system and integrate it in their cars also remains to be seen. Too early to tell at the moment.
    Would not be on the car if it did not give them a gain.
    Forza Ferrari

Re-read the regulation, it states "Any steering system which permits the re-alignment of more than two wheels is not permitted." They are only doing it on two wheels so it seems legal.

Quote Originally Posted by No1.FerrariFan! View Post
    Re-read the regulation, it states "Any steering system which permits the re-alignment of more than two wheels is not permitted." They are only doing it on two wheels so it seems legal.
    That's my point according to the regs....it is legal.

That rule sounds like its just to stop 4 wheel steer and not really anything to do with the Merc system. There will also be rules about moveable aero etc....
    Forza Ferrari

Let's not panic just yet as Mercedes do not have a great track record of getting the steering geometry right! If they have built the DAS system the same way they build their AMG GLC43 RHD's they will have a lot of crabbing (Juddering) in low speed tight corners with high tyre wear, fingers crossed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwR9YQjQriQ

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    That rule sounds like its just to stop 4 wheel steer and not really anything to do with the Merc system. There will also be rules about moveable aero etc....
    Of course it is re: 4 wheel steer.

Merc is just expoloiting a loophole in the rule regarding the front 2 wheels is all.

FIA = FOOLS IN AUTOMOBILES and they probably drive mercedes cars, Simply because they can not afford to purchase a Ferrari.

Chandhok says DAS will help heating front tyres during Quali lap and will also reduce scrub on the straights

It will give them advantage with tyre wear and that's time advantage for you during the race. Also probably heating better the tyres prior to a quali lap. As if they weren't already good with their tyres and race pace last year. English media will still say Ferrari were the quickest car by a mile last year.
    Ferrari per sempre !

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

What are Vettel's initial impressions of the new SF1000?

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Chandhok says DAS will help heating front tyres during Quali lap and will also reduce scrub on the straights
    Scarbs claims it changes the rake and hence flattens out the angle of the front wing, ergo less drag. DRS, really, if that is true.

Any news on Kimi' s red flag yesterday ? Was wondering if it was engine related.

Apperently RB changed the PU on albon's car as a precaution but will swap back to the older one today.

Quote Originally Posted by bondilad View Post
    Any news on Kimi' s red flag yesterday ? Was wondering if it was engine related.

The "speculation" is that Kimi ran out of fuel thereby causing him to "park it" with minutes to go at the end of afternoon session.

The "speculation" is that Kimi ran out of fuel thereby causing him to "park it" with minutes to go at the end of afternoon session.
    Thanks

Sky commentators were saying DAS is a hydraulic system, but I don't see how. I don't think it is tied into the suspension hydraulics, and no way the drivers would generate enough force to alter the hydraulic pressure as the system isn't active.

I think it's a very simple mechanical system tied to suspension track rods. I doubt highly intelligent F1 engineers of other teams wouldn't be able to copy such system.

Any live streaming links?

I have to say IMO I think this Merc DAS systm is also dangerous, you should not be able to pull a steering column towards you. This must feel very strange for the drivers, I honestly think the teams will protest this device,

Racing is life and life is a risk - Michael schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post
    Any live streaming links?
    sportsurge.net

I have a question... Where will it be Ferrari who will come up with something like this? In the modern F1 it was the double diffuser, blown diffuser, flexi wings, F-duct, FRIC, DAS... none came from Ferrari. Even the oil burning was pioneered by Mercedes, we've only bettered it to the level it was finally banned. I would really love to be watching and hearing all these talks about this being Ferrari.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    I have a question... Where will it be Ferrari who will come up with something like this? In the modern F1 it was the double diffuser, blown diffuser, flexi wings, F-duct, FRIC, DAS... none came from Ferrari. Even the oil burning was pioneered by Mercedes, we've only bettered it to the level it was finally banned. I would really love to be watching and hearing all these talks about this being Ferrari.
    They pioneered the crash structure side-pod set-up that now is the standard to follow. The Ferrari power unit package has been brutally powerful in comparison to the others, so much so, that they have been accused of cheating, to which nothing has been proven.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    I don't know if Ferrari will.

Mercedes comes from Brawn 2009....further really...then we let go of Acosta, Allison....

REDFLAG for Vettel....stopped on track

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    They pioneered the crash structure side-pod set-up that now is the standard to follow. The Ferrari power unit package has been brutally powerful in comparison to the others, so much so, that they have been accused of cheating, to which nothing has been proven.
    Not really true. The structure of the sidepods which now everyone uses is from Red Bull. The engine package is something I something I will not even go into, as nobody knows what it is. Is it really powerfull, or did we just have a really low drag car? Nobody knows I would say. We will see this year I guess. But nothing really "epic" that stirred up the discussion came from us.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

They really covered up that SF1000 from top to bottom as it's lifted off the track.