Thread: McLaren withdraw - Australian GP cancelled? - Coronavirus

McLaren withdraw - Australian GP cancelled? - Coronavirus

There are like 3 other threads going on where people are talking about this. I created this thread to specifically talk about coronavirus news.

Personally I think the world has clearly gone into mass hysteria and a global over reaction. The data pack below tells a lot of useful information.

People compare it to the flu and I think it's reasonable, but must see facts on both sides. Coronavirus does have a much higher fatality rate than the flu thus concerns once infect should be higher. However the flu has a much higher death toll. People don't seem to be concerned about contracting the flu virus, let alone any concern of spreading it, despite it killing hundreds of thousands a year. I imagine the car accident fatality rate, or at least the life altering effect rate is considerably higher than Coronavirus, but you don't hear an outcry for people to stop driving.

I think McLaren's decision to withdraw is an overreaction when they simply could test their personnel and quarantine the infected as they should.

I think canceling the Australian GP (if true) is a massive over reaction in a country that has just 156 cases.

I think shutting down colleges is a massive over reaction when facts suggest that if you are healthy 20 year old your chances of full recovery are about 99.8%.

I think postponing the NBA is an over reaction since it will likely be long term. I can understand cancelling the game as 1 players infection has a high likelihood of other players being infected already, which would likely infect the other team. I short term postponing to determine the contamination across the players and team personnel is probably a good thing.

I think buying years supply of toilet paper is an idiotic over reaction that only supports the embarrassment of humanity.

The media is obviously a problem for this global scare, pushing the fear rather than pushing reasonable solutions or facts.

The global economic impact has already been seen with with oil prices and stock market crashes. That is a major problem, far worse than the actual virus. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I can't help if this drive for mass hysteria and panic wasn't partially done on purpose to create an economic melt down.

I think rather than this knee jerk over reactions on such a massive scale, we should be looking at learning more facts and being proactive with reasonable solutions. I think everyone needs to stop the "it won't happen to me" mentality and be self aware of washing their hands and containing their own germs. That comes down to stop being a dirty scum human being too.

As much as I say the world is over reacting, nobody should ignore Italy is a problem. Surface numbers show the worst fatality rate by far. I'd love to get ideas why Italy is worse off than other countries. Is it culture habits that increase the spreading? Theories would be nice, and I wonder if Italian Media is giving any ideas to prevent further outbreak. What is the age group of deaths in Italy and are these people dying already have health conditions prior to Coronavirus.

More facts, more solutions, less panic, less overreaction.

The 1st four races will be cancelled for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by ALO View Post
    Are we not due our upgrade by the 5th race (if that happens)

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    Are we not due our upgrade by the 5th race (if that happens)
    and and you think Merc will stand still?? they will TOO bring updates to an ALREADY fast that that they have....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by ALO View Post
    Is this true?

After people have arrived to the track and waiting at the gates, then they decide to cancel it. Like seriously, could this have been handled any worse?

Horrible, horrendous job by the organizers, FIA, F1 and Liberty Media.

Complete Imbeciles. Look at the pictures of thousands of fans left stranded outside of the entry gates waiting on word so these idiots could figure out back room deals to save their own money. They couldn't care less about these poor fans, because if they did, they wouldn't have left them exposed to this virus in mass outside the circuit and would have cancelled the race well in advance.

Total farce that endangered many loyal fans.

Quote Originally Posted by h3ro View Post
    Horrible, horrendous job by the organizers, FIA, F1 and Liberty Media.

Complete Imbeciles. Look at the pictures of thousands of fans left stranded outside of the entry gates waiting on word so these idiots could figure out back room deals to save their own money. They couldn't care less about these poor fans, because if they did, they wouldn't have left them exposed to this virus in mass outside the circuit and would have cancelled the race well in advance.

Total farce that endangered many loyal fans.
    Truly appalling that THOUSANDS of fans have paid a lot of money to get to Oz from all over the world only to be sacked off hours before FP1.

Shambolic, despite the uncertainties over this ****** virus..

Decisions should have been made sooner. Check your travel insurance peeps!

Stay healthy!
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    Is this true?
    Yes

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...rix-Farce-News

The overreactions about this virus become worse and worse day by day.

Shutting commerce down is going to endanger way more people than a 1 % kill rate virus that doesn't affect working-age people much ever will.

(yes, the case mortality rate is way lower than what the media tells you, lots of people get it and never get tested).

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    After people have arrived to the track and waiting at the gates, then they decide to cancel it. Like seriously, could this have been handled any worse?
    Real bad for sure. Now the F-1 big shots are saying no races until the end of May or the start of June. Pirelli stated that all tires that were brought to Australia and mounted on rims had to be destroyed. They burn them ! Dismounting the tires cause them to weaken and are then deemed unsafe. I have to believe it was a $$ gamble as to the race going on or not and the losers were fans & F-1 teams big time.

I got back from Melbourne yesterday (i live in Sydney) which was pretty depressing as i shouldve still been there watching the race. But even though im upset about it, i do agree the right call was made. How it was handled? HELL NO!
    I arrived on Wednesday and went in on the Thursday. It was nothing unusual except the paddock was abit quieter than usual and the drivers were pretty much off limits. Being a Scuderia Ferrari Club Melbourne member, i got the opportunity to go into the paddock for about 20 minutes. I got lucky cause while i was in there, both Ferrari drivers arrived and i got 2 see them up close and tell them "good luck". I then did my usual and walked around the track abit picking sum photography spots (im a photographer) and using the support catagories as a test for the next days shooting. I then had access to the Paddock Club rooftop viewing area where i watch the Ferrari team go through their pit practise routine.
    I then had a pit walk late in the day and just as i was leaving the pit area, Sebastian rode past me on his bicycle, i again wished him the best but that was to be the last time i was gonna see him.
    I went back to my apartment pretty satisfied with how the day went, but just as i settled in, i heard the news that Mclaren had pulled out of the race. from then onwards i pretty much knew that the race was doomed, cause i just though well, its affected 1 team now, and i imagine theres gonna be more teams who will now pull out. So all night i was on my phone, waiting for news, and at 3am, sum1 online sent a link to a Craig Slater from Sky Sports announcing that a meeting between teams and all management had just finished and that the decision was to cancel the race.
    So at that point i went to bed and didnt even bother getting up to go back to the track on the Friday morning. BUT, as i slept chaos was ensuig because no1 wanted to be the bad guy and make the announcement! Absolutely ridiculous! The meeting finished at 2am, so they knew then that the race was cancelled. But then the organisers i believe still tried to make things happen, they still wanted the support catagories and robbie Williams concert to go ahead, and maybe have the F1 race behind closed doors etc etc, but in the end the health minister and Victorian Government said no, shut it all down. So they waited until 9am to make the announcement.
    In a way im glad they didnt come up with another solution, because if i dont get to see all the F1 cars then i want my money back! And i did not like the idea of watching a race with only 12 cars, and Ferrari NOT being among that 12 cars!
    The only good thing that came out of it all was the experience i had on the Thursday. I took alot of photos and i will share them with you all as soon as ive gone through them. Ive alos got alot of video footage, im not sure how to share that directly here if sum1 can help with that that would be much appreciated.
    lets hope the world overcomes this virus asap and we can get on with normal life, but in the meantime i wish u all good health, please stay safe.
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

That really sucks dfunk257. Is there any talks about being refunded?

There is "talk" of rescheduling the AustralianGP at a later date within the year.......[shoulder shrug].
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    There is "talk" of rescheduling the AustralianGP at a later date within the year.......[shoulder shrug].
    i doubt that will happen....OZ 2021 will be the next race there me thinks
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

No Aussie GP this year I just read.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

I think with all the permits and city organization required to put on the Aussie GP, there is no possible way to reschedule it. A race track like COTA which is outside the city limits and it's own property is a much different scenario.

yes every ticket holder wil get a refund. Holding the grand prix this year is not possible, its a public park with public roads and it has to be returned to the way it normally is, and it takes 11 weeks to build, 6 weeks to take down, and so there is no way the Government are going to spend more money doing it again, they have allready lost an absolute crap load over this cancellation.
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

All the teams and Pirelli started sending everything that goes to a track before the race a month before the cancellation was announced . There was no real indication of a cancellation at that time. I'm sure Australia was looking forwards to the race after their terrible fires. As far as the teams go, millions to get there , and millions to return home. I have to believe no team will make a move to the next race until it's a for sure think, if that's possible? Pirelli had to destroy every mounted tire! It's unsafe to use them once their mounted and unmounted. I can only wish that starting June until even the winter break the races for 2020 will take place . Most countries stlll have warm climates.

Do your part. Educate and self sanitize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5-dI74zxPg&t=328s