Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F1 Engine & Component Freeze 2020 and 2021

F1 Engine & Component Freeze 2020 and 2021

How development freeze will save F1 teams money

In an attempt to address costs Formula 1 teams have agreed to a system of freezing some components both within the 2020 season and heading into 2021, and the full details of how it will work have now emerged in the updated technical regulations for both of those seasons.

Within a system of what are now called "homologated components" there is still some scope for development via a token system. In other words, teams can decide which elements they wish to upgrade, but they can only do it with the full knowledge and agreement of the FIA.

Much of the car remains completely free, including most aerodynamic elements, so teams can still develop in those areas.

As with the new technical rules, now postponed to 2022, the general idea is to keep open the visually-attractive components.

The rules for 2020

Within 2020, there are two possible freeze dates. The first, known as R1-2020, goes from the earliest date between the date of FP1 of the first race of the 2020 championship, or 1 September.

The second freeze deadline, known as Mid-2020, is the earliest date between the date of first practice of the eighth round of the 2020 season, or 15 October.

In essence, key components such as the chassis and gearbox that rarely change anyway are frozen at R1-2020, while some aero, inboard suspension and other parts that are usually more subject to development have more flexibility, face a later freeze.

The list of reasons why certain changes can be made after the freeze dates include minimal changes for safety, reliability or cost reasons, changes for driver comfort, or for the installation of a new driver and those "due to regulation changes, legality fixes or the installation of FIA-mandated components".

However, any change must have no performance or weight improvement and will require FIA approval.

The token system

Teams are allowed to deploy two tokens to modify components after the freeze dates. However, they have to take three steps, within deadlines known as D1, D2 and D3.

D1, D2 and D3 are different in the cases of R1-2020 and Mid-2020 frozen components – for example D1 for the former is five days after the shutdown (which is within the next week), and for the latter it's "the Wednesday following the third competition of 2020, but no later than 1 October 2020".

The FIA makes it clear that teams should be sure they really want to deploy their tokens, as there are no second chances if they change their minds on a development route.

Teams are allowed to revert to the original spec, but those tokens cannot be re-used.

It's also made clear that if the upgraded component is supplied to a customer team that team will also have deploy its own tokens in order to use it.

What happens for 2021?

The homologated component system introduced for 2020 will carry over into next season, with some additions.

Along with the existing R1-2020 and Mid-2020 freeze dates, there will be a third freeze deadline, known as R1-2021, which is simply the first practice session of the first race of 2021.

Various items are added to the original 2020 HC list under this new R1-2021 freeze, including gear ratios, driveshafts, outboard front and rear suspension, steering and some parts of the cooling system.

All the 2020 provisions for making non-performance changes still apply. The two tokens are also still available to be used, but only if the team hasn't already deployed them in 2020.

Crucially, a team has to set in motion any such 2021 changes well before the end of the 2020 season, by notifying the FIA via the aforementioned D1, D2, D3 deadline system.

They can only be deployed on parts that were frozen at R1-2020 or Mid-2020. Anything frozen at R1-2021 cannot be changed via the token system and are thus set for the whole year.

There's special clause for any customers who are currently buying and using 2019 spec components from a partner team – if they want to upgrade to the 2020 equivalents for 2021, they can make that change without use of tokens.

There is also a provision for McLaren, the only team switching engine supplier as it goes from Renault to Mercedes in 2021 – in order to get a free installation change, the Woking team will have to forego its two tokens.

The same applies if anyone modifies their engine spec so much for 2021 that it requires a new installation.

In essence rivals want to be confident that McLaren can't gain an advantage by being the only team allowed to do a new PU installation for 2021.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...money/4797766/
    It's not how start but how you finish.

So is the engine included in the "key components"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    So is the engine included in the "key components"?
    yep

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this.
    Does that mean we can upgrade the engine using one of those tokens?

My understanding is that the planned modified gearbox for Hungary would use some of these tokens already?

Quote Originally Posted by Red is Best View Post
    Me as well, the main question for me is, are we stuck with thus engine for 2 years?. BTW the anyone noticed how strange our engine sounds, like Honda 2 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    Me as well, the main question for me is, are we stuck with thus engine for 2 years?. BTW the anyone noticed how strange our engine sounds, like Honda 2 years ago
    Yes we are struck with same spec engine for the next year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Yes we are struck with same spec engine for the next year as well.
    And the token system is use for what exactly?

Maybe we should do freeze races.
    So each team would propose to fia the pretended race poison and they choose who will win. It will save a lot of time and money, for them and us funs too

And the token system is use for what exactly?
    Token system is for individual components of the spec.
    If ferrari would have brought the new spec just like others, there was a chance to upgrade its spec consequently with or without penalty as per the rules.
    But now ferrari don’t stand a chance to introduce new spec at all due to engine freeze.

If ferrari would have brought the new spec just like others, there was a chance to upgrade its spec consequently with or without penalty as per the rules.
    But now ferrari don’t stand a chance to introduce new spec at all due to engine freeze.
    Why did they agree to this, it's suicide

Tokens can be used for engine upgrades though?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    That for the current spec which mean old spec for Ferrari. They can’t bring new spec & use it up.

I have a funny feeling that this all ties back to the engine investigation. Perhaps the FIA has made Ferrari detune it's engine as punishment. This is the only reason I can see that Ferrari is not being overtly critical of these rules and say they are doing this for the good of the sport. I bet the aero excuse is just covering for having to run it's engine at sub-optimal performance. If the engine was as good as last year, this car would be very quick. There is no way they screwed up the aero that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I have a funny feeling that this all ties back to the engine investigation. Perhaps the FIA has made Ferrari detune it's engine as punishment. This is the only reason I can see that Ferrari is not being overtly critical of these rules and say they are doing this for the good of the sport. I bet the aero excuse is just covering for having to run it's engine at sub-optimal performance. If the engine was as good as last year, this car would be very quick. There is no way they screwed up the aero that bad.
    So Ferrari seriously agreed to use the same under-powered engine with zero development for TWO YEARS....?

Read the first sentence of the original article........fair enough??

Quote Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
    So Ferrari seriously agreed to use the same under-powered engine with zero development for TWO YEARS....?
    Yes......all engine manufacturers agreed to this freeze.

Agreed, it will heavily damage competition in a sport already losing viewers and clearly would favour Mercedes.

20 million viewers were lost last year, the year before almost 10 million and has been decreasing almost every year since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I believe so.

It is definitely tied to the engine investigation. That is also why Wolff was quoted saying he doesn't want to hear Mattia's excuses about the aero anymore. He, and the entire paddock know why we have lost a second from last year.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by Red is Best View Post
    This year 2 Tokens on engine / Key components
    2021 2 Tokens on engine /Key components
    I think the engine they used for Austria was from testing and that the second engine will have the 20bhp. I understand the upgrades were done during the 5 weeks before Austria
    If we can get the aero sorted and maybe .5 second and a bit more power we can be in good shape
    What is the penalty to Upgrade the engine beyond the rules?
    There are many ways to improve the engine with mapping etc
    I want to believe its not as bad as what we think

BINOTTO is painting a worst case scenario, any thing north of the current situation will be welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    It is definitely tied to the engine investigation. That is also why Wolff was quoted saying he doesn't want to hear Mattia's excuses about the aero anymore. He, and the entire paddock know why we have lost a second from last year.
    Who care what Toto thinks. How is what Ferrari did any different from making your engine intentionally burn oil?

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    This year 2 Tokens on engine / Key components
    2021 2 Tokens on engine /Key components
    I think the engine they used for Austria was from testing and that the second engine will have the 20bhp. I understand the upgrades were done during the 5 weeks before Austria
    If we can get the aero sorted and maybe .5 second and a bit more power we can be in good shape
    What is the penalty to Upgrade the engine beyond the rules?
    There are many ways to improve the engine with mapping etc
    I want to believe its not as bad as what we think
    I'm right here hoping with you, cautiously optimistic.

I don't think you CAN update anything after you use your 2 tokens.

I would have rushed that new engine. We are already ultra reliable in that department.

And yes, I do believe that other things like the MGU-K can be upgraded? There can be fuel upgrades perhaps. so all is not lost. When you think about it, there probably isn't much gains being made in pure Internal Combustion Engine development.

Who care what Toto thinks. How is what Ferrari did any different from making your engine intentionally burn oil?
    I don't care about what Toto thinks, I was just restating the obvious that our engine is probably the cause of our issues and not our aero.

Also, the Merc engine is probably still secretly burning oil, hence the puffs of smoke coming from the merc powered cars this past weekend.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Ferrari and Renault have not introduced engine upgrades for the 2020 Formula 1 season opener in Austria, and will therefore contest the whole campaign with their initial specifications of power unit.

F1 has put a freeze on engine development in place as part of its cost-saving mandate amid the coronavirus pandemic.

This means that each of the four manufacturers will have to see out the season with the very same spec they put on track for the Austrian Grand Prix, with the exception of changes for reliability purposes.

Mercedes has brought a revised engine to the Red Bull Ring opener with the aim of improving reliability, whereas Honda’s Austria upgrade is believed to come with additional power as well.

But both Ferrari, whose engine powers its works team, Haas and Alfa Romeo, and Renault, which has McLaren as its sole customer, have stuck with the same spec that would’ve contested the cancelled Australian Grand Prix back in March.

“We’ve got the same engines we had at the time in Australia,” Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto said.

“We shut down the factory for a long time so there has been very little time to develop. We didn’t bring anything different, now the engine, the power unit, is frozen for the season.

“I know that other manufacturers had the opportunity to continue working, developing, we’re aware of that they could eventually [have] an advantage.

“That’s part of the game, I think that’s part of all the entire compromises we have accepted during the shutdown, looking ahead for the good of the sport.”
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Ferrari and Renault have not introduced engine upgrades for the 2020 Formula 1 season opener in Austria, and will therefore contest the whole campaign with their initial specifications of power unit.

F1 has put a freeze on engine development in place as part of its cost-saving mandate amid the coronavirus pandemic.

This means that each of the four manufacturers will have to see out the season with the very same spec they put on track for the Austrian Grand Prix, with the exception of changes for reliability purposes.

Mercedes has brought a revised engine to the Red Bull Ring opener with the aim of improving reliability, whereas Honda’s Austria upgrade is believed to come with additional power as well.

But both Ferrari, whose engine powers its works team, Haas and Alfa Romeo, and Renault, which has McLaren as its sole customer, have stuck with the same spec that would’ve contested the cancelled Australian Grand Prix back in March.

“We’ve got the same engines we had at the time in Australia,” Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto said.

“We shut down the factory for a long time so there has been very little time to develop. We didn’t bring anything different, now the engine, the power unit, is frozen for the season.

“I know that other manufacturers had the opportunity to continue working, developing, we’re aware of that they could eventually [have] an advantage.

“That’s part of the game, I think that’s part of all the entire compromises we have accepted during the shutdown, looking ahead for the good of the sport.”
    Another thing that bugs me, is look at Honda and Mercedes this weekend, the reliability wasn't so great (Stroll, Max). So now, are they going to be allowed to bring updates under the reliability clause and hence gain an advantage?

Another thing that bugs me, is look at Honda and Mercedes this weekend, the reliability wasn't so great (Stroll, Max). So now, are they going to be allowed to bring updates under the reliability clause and hence gain an advantage?
    They made the smart choice. they made new more powerfull pu's with bad reliability. You are allowed to bring updates to fix reliability but NOT to fix your performance!!!!!!
    And all this are made accepted by Mr Binotto AFTER fabruary tests, so he knew 1st hand how bad was our pu!!!!!!!
    I really cant find any excuse for him to take such a dicision that burn us for 2 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Another abysmal failure by Ferrari.

1. They should have never agreed to an engine freeze.
    2. They should have not shut down the factory, clearly the others didn't and used the time to overhaul the design.

Is this Ferrari acceptance of having a compromised engine part of the deal with FIA? Did FIA say big fine and 2019 championship exclusion or you have to go along with any upcoming decisions we make on PU developments? 2 years of pain or officially disgraced with a fine. May not have been great for share price so took lesser of 2 evils.

Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    Is this Ferrari acceptance of having a compromised engine part of the deal with FIA? Did FIA say big fine and 2019 championship exclusion or you have to go along with any upcoming decisions we make on PU developments? 2 years of pain or officially disgraced with a fine. May not have been great for share price so took lesser of 2 evils.
    Ι also thought something like that !!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!