View Poll Results: Replace Binotto?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 35.82%
  • No

43 64.18%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The chopping block. Mattia Binotto stay or go?

The chopping block. Mattia Binotto stay or go?

For years I've seen a trend on this site, when Ferrari isn't doing well and a driver or team member makes a mistake they go on the chopping block. For years the Tifosi have been very outspoken about wanting Vettel out the door since he was making too many mistakes.

Now after Ferrari appear to have been caught "cheating", the blame has gone to Binotto and the common cry around here is that he is to blame and get rid of him.

I personally don't see a replacement doing any better of a job, and perhaps not any worse. Until Ferrari as a whole changes their mindset, any Ferrari TP will still be overseeing the same group of engineers that aren't good enough to build a car capable of beating Mercedes.

For those that want Binotto gone, who can replace him and why would they do a better job?

I need a Machiavellian leader. Someone who will play the political game.

IMO Binotto can be AT MOST a technical director.

I need binotto to be there but not as TP. He did good as a TD. So better push him to the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I need binotto to be there but not as TP. He did good as a TD. So better push him to the same place.
    Will he accept it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia27 View Post
    Will he accept it?
    Nope. He will resign. But it’s better option than termination

i voted no.

Keep Binotto. Who else to put in his place???

Give him time.

If he gets fired, this will be the 3rd TP Ferrari has gone thru. Also, IF fired, he could go to Mercedes........another one to Mercedes?????

The oher 2 TP's before Binotto were "Marlboro" men.

Give him 3 years. He's turned personnel around in the F1 team.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

I still think he has some ace on his sleeve.

He was all happy after the settlement and saying ferrari must gain political advantage.

For his actions ( the not renewal of vettel and the accpetance of the token fro 2020/21 ) i would imagine that he is not fired yet because he got a good deal for 2022.

I still remember that ferrari will help with the investigation on new engines from the settlement. I would guess ferrari will influence the way power units will evolve for 2022 and onwards.

If not... no business in being TL

No! We must give him 6 more races. Than we can evaluate how he would manage this situation. He could turn te be e real leader or accept the failure and step down.We cant afford to lose Mattia anyway.

I'm tempted to say replace him but with who? I'm really not sure.

Never throw away your old shoes untill you have new ones.

why is binotto's fault ? why was arrivabene's fault? too many TP's came and left as failures. Were everyone incompetent ? i dont think so!!

Its not a TP's fault if the engine department cant produce a descent engine. It is also not a TP's fault if aerodynamicists cannot produce a descent chassis.

A TP most of the time is not an engineer and certainly not an aerodynamicist. It is there to manage a team and has to work with what he is given.

The problem at ferrari is that they dont employ the best engineers and aero guys anymore. They stop innovating and transformed from a leader to a decent follower.

i believe we should stop blaming binotto for this. He didnt build neither the engine nor the chassis.

Keep him at all costs. Need to build a team not erode it. He took the role a few weeks before 2019, he is stuck with senior decisions made by previous boss. Ferrari will learn a lot this year, hard lessons are the best.

As soon as someone names a better replacement with a compelling argument why they are better, I will say yes. Until then...
    Cheers,
    Ray

"Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 racing belongs to Ferrari."-Dan Niel, LA Times

Hear! Hear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    I need a Machiavellian leader. Someone who will play the political game.

IMO Binotto can be AT MOST a technical director.

If dept A is not doing well, and dept B keeps making mistakes, then it’s the one not capable of keeping the team intact that needs to go. That one must oversee, escalate, lobbying etc. S/he must work together with the bosses to ensure winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by subfire91 View Post
    why is binotto's fault ? why was arrivabene's fault? too many TP's came and left as failures. Were everyone incompetent ? i dont think so!!

Its not a TP's fault if the engine department cant produce a descent engine. It is also not a TP's fault if aerodynamicists cannot produce a descent chassis.

A TP most of the time is not an engineer and certainly not an aerodynamicist. It is there to manage a team and has to work with what he is given.

The problem at ferrari is that they dont employ the best engineers and aero guys anymore. They stop innovating and transformed from a leader to a decent follower.

i believe we should stop blaming binotto for this. He didnt build neither the engine nor the chassis.

It's only the Ferrari tradition of team orders that's causing Binotto to not get it right race time. He's got a " Gun" to his head as to try to keep the $ 50 million dollar German as #1 regardless of his mistakes and trying to get up on Charles at any cost. Charles fights back and look at the results so far. Any car updates PU; chassis, tires; mean nothing when the cars DNF. Last race had nothing to do with the car being ready to fight for points. The drivers are wrecking the races . Binotto can't get Seb to realize the 4 WDC's were with the enemy . not Ferrari. Seb has to realize but won't, that Charles is a deserving #1 driver and let him pass !! I hope Saintz is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    It's only the Ferrari tradition of team orders that's causing Binotto to not get it right race time. He's got a " Gun" to his head as to try to keep the $ 50 million dollar German as #1 regardless of his mistakes and trying to get up on Charles at any cost. Charles fights back and look at the results so far. Any car updates PU; chassis, tires; mean nothing when the cars DNF. Last race had nothing to do with the car being ready to fight for points. The drivers are wrecking the races . Binotto can't get Seb to realize the 4 WDC's were with the enemy . not Ferrari. Seb has to realize but won't, that Charles is a deserving #1 driver and let him pass !! I hope Saintz is watching.
    let him pass where over the head ?

Not sure but turning point was appointing Domenicali as TP, position left vacant by Jean Todt’s departure which left Ross Brawn disgruntled and he decided to leave and join Honda. I could be completely wrong here but Ross leaving was a set back

Correct when he left the Ferrari walls started to crumble.Now they have finally collapsed.This is the result when Ferrari keep using jobs for the boys mentality.

I voted no. We can't keep changing things when there is a bump in the road. What we need is stability, the problems don't solely rest with one individual, this is a team effort.

As other's have said, who do you even replace him with?

The poll question 'Replace Binotto?' is vague/incomplete, if you rather ask me 'Replace Binotto with XXX?' then may be I can give my view.

I do not understand why did they kick out Arrivabene, his team was making progress every year, and was all ready very close to get WDC and WCC and then comes Binotto, and after that, it is a disaster.
    I do understand that they change people when things are getting worse, but I do not understand why they change people, when every thing is going great and better.

Well, we have Binotto now, and worst results what I can remember. No progress, just the opposite. And he says after every race, "we have to analyze, we do not understand our car".
    Just my humble opinion.

I did like Arrivabene a lot, Binotto seems out of his depth tbh, some of his interviews leave me bewildered.

Until we get a proven leader from outside who can manage the internal politics and external pressure at Ferrari, I say we keep Binotto.

Everyone promoted from within have failed - Domenicali, Mattiacci, Arrivabene & now Binotto. This also makes me question the succession planning at Ferrari - are they not grooming better talent or the TP is decided by politics and/or number of years in the company.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Did make a post on AS, thought i should repost it here:

So far the resume of Binotto:

• Under his rule as TD/the person the technical department reports to Ferrari has been in the biggest humiliating technical scandal since 2007 McLaren spy gate.
    • With the PU freeze happening, this likely sets the team on a backfoot until the new PU regs.
    • With his arrogance in wanting to lead the team, he blackmailed it (saying he’d leave to Mercedes if he’s not getting what he wants) and got Arrivabene sacked, which basically diminished the best team leadership/technical department setup we had since Todt-Brawn. All those years of sacking and heads rolling to get to that point has gone to waste.
    • His handling of drivers, team orders and contracts has been horrible to say the least.

Sadly enough, i genuinely don't know who could replace him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzi View Post
    Did make a post on AS, thought i should repost it here:

So far the resume of Binotto:

• Under his rule as TD/the person the technical department reports to Ferrari has been in the biggest humiliating technical scandal since 2007 McLaren spy gate.
    • With the PU freeze happening, this likely sets the team on a backfoot until the new PU regs.
    • With his arrogance in wanting to lead the team, he blackmailed it (saying he’d leave to Mercedes if he’s not getting what he wants) and got Arrivabene sacked, which basically diminished the best team leadership/technical department setup we had since Todt-Brawn. All those years of sacking and heads rolling to get to that point has gone to waste.
    • His handling of drivers, team orders and contracts has been horrible to say the least.

Sadly enough, i genuinely don't know who could replace him now.
    Agree 100%. He may be a technical expert, but there is NO leadership abilities here ...... only political influence and manipulation at the cost of Ferrari.

I have always felt that Binotto can't and shouldn't be expected to be a team manager and technical director as well as overseeing all the circuit-based operations of the team and drivers. It seems to me that he needs back-up from someone so that he can concentrate of the technical side, although judging by the current car, even that is proving to be problematic for him. But I voted not to replace him at the moment, and if the current engine is not upgraded due to the freeze, it will make little impact on this season or 2021, so we're doomed to be mid-field at best.

Well, the engine is fixable to an extent, BUT it can only be done during the next preseason, as come Melbourne, the team will be stuck mostly with the same PU they got for the whole 2021. They'll have to run it, debug it on track during the preseason testing. Kind of a tall order to expect them to have a PU that's in a league of a Mercedes AND reliable. They wont really be able to go for any risks by pushing the limits.

Bring Flavio
    Controversial or not he can make things happen

There are already rumours of Elkann planning to replace Mattia with Antonello Coletta, GT and Corse Clienti racing Director