Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Current state of F1 and opinions please

They even changed the point scoring system, so even if Michael won every race it wouldn't mean he would run away with the championship. And it almost worked too! (2003).

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    That's what drives me crazy. F1/FIA did everything they could to stop Ferrari's dominance yet it seems they do what they can to ensure Mercedes keeps its dominance. I still don't understand why the FIA make a rule to homologate the power units in 2014, a brand new setup and Mercedes have a solid 75 horsepower advantage and are protected by the governing body.
    Token system and engine freezes don't help that's for sure in this turbo hybrid era.

Ferrari F1 within itself is in crisis mode as well....has been for the last decade or so. 2012 was close....too close for Alonso to loose.....thank-you Grosjean.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Concorde agreement should be done behind closed doors.Well the king of closed door back door negotiations is the wolf none better just as he has done with the FIA mercedes racing point and soon Aston Martin he will probably be sebs manager also.Thats the problem with f1 he talks transparacy only when it suits and is of no real value to totto.He is so predictable.

25pts for Ham vs 10 for Michael
    20-22 races a year for Ham, 12+ for Michael
    FIA bent over backwards to stop Michael
    FIA bend a knee to Ham

I'm sorry but when people say "at the end of this year Ham is going to be the best driver of all time" (and several of my work mates do) I want to throw up and I feel physically sick.

it's so so so unfair, Ham has been gifted titles and race wins on a silver platter and he has more good luck than all drivers in the history of F1.
    I don't hate him as a person but this is just disgrateful and RIGGED in his favour. SEVEN years of this nonsense and still we have at least TWO more.

I don't think I can bear it

2014 to 2016 Hamilton only had to beat his teammate, and he lost once. 2017-2020 he made sure Bottas would be a support driver and has never had any genuine competition. 2008 was a credible championship that he only got because Ferrari borked it for Massa. But I still consider it a well deserved championship.

Michael won in 94 and 95 that was inferior to the Williams-Renault. 99 would have won if not for a broken leg, won in 2000 with an equal car. Dominated 01 and 02 to the point the FIA changed the rules specifically to stop Ferrari in which he still won in 03, dominated in 04 and was finally dethroned due to the worst idea in F1 history (single set of tires for an entire race) when 7 of the 10 teams were with Michelin. 7 earned championships.

It's a shame Formula 1 has worked so hard to stat pad Lewis Hamilton into being the "greatest driver" on paper.

The current state of affairs is pirely Sad!

My opinion isnnot just for the overall performance of our Team, but also refers to the technical directives currently being played, the forth coming changes and the back room negotiations.

I feelings echo with some of your thoughts, F1 has been systematically raped of its glory.

Many will argue MSC won his championships dominantly, some may argue the FIA helped ferrari. But if you look at the stats and go back and watch the old races, it was just good old fashion racing. Some were won in the pits, some on the track, but they all kept you at the edge of your seat. It am not arguing that it wasnt monotonous, MSC winning was, but it was still interesting. Williams, McLaren, Renault all at times kept each ither honest.

That spark is definatly no more

The other thing which was always interesting was the vast uodates from testing... so much techthat was first featured in thoes cars ended up in road cars. All that RnD paid off in us buying car. And cars today are much more efficient, safer and quicker because of Tech developed by the teams 10-15-20 years ago.

Like.it or not, all thoes aero updates, a new B spec Car always got us excited. The differnces in tyres supplied also added an extra element

These were just different times. Times the sport was at its peak in the recent history of the sport.

If you sort of get what i am saying isz the sport we loved really is not the samr anymore. This really is an exhibition rather than a championship.

I do not think, ferrari should sign the new agreement. And i thinknwr have lost the opportunity to set up tje previously threatened alternative race series to F1.

Committing to more years fails one of the biggest benefits if racing, RnD and the innovations resulting.

With current regs being so presvriptive, complicated snd heabily favourable towards ome outlet, thr competition remaims unfair.

And Mercedes understand this and my bet is, they will leave.

To make my case, I ask you to consider being the owner of AMG MBPetronas or Ferrari or McLaren for that matter... they all have the same 2 primary goals for partaking in F1, Braging Rights and Innovation. We have already seen innovation is just not an aim in current F1 and as for Bragging rights, howbwould it sound if the 300k ferrari being sold shares the same DNA as the car that won against a fellow that makes a can of pop, or a machining, /Hardware company or may be even clothing.

The bar being set is not being set high enough.

My thoughts on improving racing are quiet simple....

1. Set a budget 3/4 of the highrst spender.
    2. Allow teams to manage their resources.
    3. Keep TD simple
    4. Allow testinf, refuelling, alternative fuels and al.
    5. Set a drag coeffwhich at 50-100-150 meters which should be tweked depending on the race.
    6. Allow freedom tonchoosr engines.
    7. Allow drivers to choose from different tyre compounds
    8. Fairly allow innovations.
    9. Time limit the DRS, alllw the drivers to xhoose the beat point to trigger the flaps, lets see who is more balls and who is more brains.
    I think these changes should enxourage viwership. I refuse to pay Sky to watch thid merry-go-around.

Quote Originally Posted by kshitijmalkan View Post
    The current state of affairs is pirely Sad!

My opinion isnnot just for the overall performance of our Team, but also refers to the technical directives currently being played, the forth coming changes and the back room negotiations.

I feelings echo with some of your thoughts, F1 has been systematically raped of its glory.

Many will argue MSC won his championships dominantly, some may argue the FIA helped ferrari. But if you look at the stats and go back and watch the old races, it was just good old fashion racing. Some were won in the pits, some on the track, but they all kept you at the edge of your seat. It am not arguing that it wasnt monotonous, MSC winning was, but it was still interesting. Williams, McLaren, Renault all at times kept each ither honest.

That spark is definatly no more

The other thing which was always interesting was the vast uodates from testing... so much techthat was first featured in thoes cars ended up in road cars. All that RnD paid off in us buying car. And cars today are much more efficient, safer and quicker because of Tech developed by the teams 10-15-20 years ago.

Like.it or not, all thoes aero updates, a new B spec Car always got us excited. The differnces in tyres supplied also added an extra element

These were just different times. Times the sport was at its peak in the recent history of the sport.

If you sort of get what i am saying isz the sport we loved really is not the samr anymore. This really is an exhibition rather than a championship.

I do not think, ferrari should sign the new agreement. And i thinknwr have lost the opportunity to set up tje previously threatened alternative race series to F1.

Committing to more years fails one of the biggest benefits if racing, RnD and the innovations resulting.

With current regs being so presvriptive, complicated snd heabily favourable towards ome outlet, thr competition remaims unfair.

And Mercedes understand this and my bet is, they will leave.

To make my case, I ask you to consider being the owner of AMG MBPetronas or Ferrari or McLaren for that matter... they all have the same 2 primary goals for partaking in F1, Braging Rights and Innovation. We have already seen innovation is just not an aim in current F1 and as for Bragging rights, howbwould it sound if the 300k ferrari being sold shares the same DNA as the car that won against a fellow that makes a can of pop, or a machining, /Hardware company or may be even clothing.

The bar being set is not being set high enough.

My thoughts on improving racing are quiet simple....

1. Set a budget 3/4 of the highrst spender.
    2. Allow teams to manage their resources.
    3. Keep TD simple
    4. Allow testinf, refuelling, alternative fuels and al.
    5. Set a drag coeffwhich at 50-100-150 meters which should be tweked depending on the race.
    6. Allow freedom tonchoosr engines.
    7. Allow drivers to choose from different tyre compounds
    8. Fairly allow innovations.
    9. Time limit the DRS, alllw the drivers to xhoose the beat point to trigger the flaps, lets see who is more balls and who is more brains.
    I think these changes should enxourage viwership. I refuse to pay Sky to watch thid merry-go-around.
    Some points arguable, but well put overall IMO. I like timed, free-to-choose DRS.

If and when Luis breaks any F-1 records , their broken. That's it. Who, what , when , where, is all just sour grapes. I just wish he was in a Ferrari while he does it. He is up against even his team mate every race. When R Bull had their 4x German driver winning everything , I'm sure the R Bull fans jumped for joy every race. Ferrari then goes and give the German $50 million a year to have the car & driver disappear from the podium ! Suzie Wolf in place of Binotto would do the trick ! Merc would just cease to be on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    If and when Luis breaks any F-1 records , their broken. That's it. Who, what , when , where, is all just sour grapes. I just wish he was in a Ferrari while he does it. He is up against even his team mate every race. When R Bull had their 4x German driver winning everything , I'm sure the R Bull fans jumped for joy every race. Ferrari then goes and give the German $50 million a year to have the car & driver disappear from the podium ! Suzie Wolf in place of Binotto would do the trick ! Merc would just cease to be on top.
    I would never want Lewis to driver for Ferrari! as for being 'up against his teammate' well that's the joke of the century, Bottas is nothing more than a paid #2 and is frequently told to let his master pass. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
    25pts for Ham vs 10 for Michael
    20-22 races a year for Ham, 12+ for Michael
    FIA bent over backwards to stop Michael
    FIA bend a knee to Ham

I'm sorry but when people say "at the end of this year Ham is going to be the best driver of all time" (and several of my work mates do) I want to throw up and I feel physically sick.

it's so so so unfair, Ham has been gifted titles and race wins on a silver platter and he has more good luck than all drivers in the history of F1.
    I don't hate him as a person but this is just disgrateful and RIGGED in his favour. SEVEN years of this nonsense and still we have at least TWO more.

I don't think I can bear it
    I feel the same, I don't deny HAM is a brilliant driver but he has been in the best team with little consistent challenger to his Merc, OK so it's up to Ferrari or whoever to rise to the occasion, but the current situation won't allow that to happen. As for HAM being the best of all time, his results may say that but just look at the way the past 6 years have played into his hands, it has to end or F1 will lose any support that it currently has. Except for HAM fans, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
    I would never want Lewis to driver for Ferrari! as for being 'up against his teammate' well that's the joke of the century, Bottas is nothing more than a paid #2 and is frequently told to let his master pass. lol
    He doesn’t understand that first of all. It’s just eye on 50mil$ & max for him

Brembo, I think even you have to admit Bottas is not on an even playing ground. Too much fuel in qualy? oops.
    Even you have to admit, the deck was stacked in Hamiltons and Mercs favour the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Brembo, I think even you have to admit Bottas is not on an even playing ground. Too much fuel in qualy? oops.
    Even you have to admit, the deck was stacked in Hamiltons and Mercs favour the last few years.
    I do agree and admit what you are saying. Ferrari the team; and fans had the same glorious years back when Todt and Ross worked for Michael. Regardless of any tipping the scales in Michael"s favor he was a winner for sure and it was enjoyed by Ferrari fans and team big time. I suffered as a Rubens fan but really wanted Ferrari to win WCCs. Now 2020, well, as the saying goes, What goes around , comes around. As you say the deck got stacked for Lewis & Merc. But saying Lewis can't drive is not for real truth. Saying Michael wasnot a great driver was not is not true. But! He did get a little help from his friends. Rubens got paid! What else did he want!! Stay safe Bro !

I do agree and admit what you are saying. Ferrari the team; and fans had the same glorious years back when Todt and Ross worked for Michael. Regardless of any tipping the scales in Michael"s favor he was a winner for sure and it was enjoyed by Ferrari fans and team big time. I suffered as a Rubens fan but really wanted Ferrari to win WCCs. Now 2020, well, as the saying goes, What goes around , comes around. As you say the deck got stacked for Lewis & Merc. But saying Lewis can't drive is not for real truth. Saying Michael wasnot a great driver was not is not true. But! He did get a little help from his friends. Rubens got paid! What else did he want!! Stay safe Bro !
    Michael had the competition & he did come out on top. Don’t talk this rubens again & again
    There are & will be occasions where your team mate will be faster than you. That doesn’t mean is he consistent enough to threat your title ? Funny posts by you. Michael deserved those titles because there was a competition on the grid.

Where as Lewis except 2007, that too it was last drop fight. The other titles which he achieved aren’t deserved one’s as there was no competitor among the grid against him. When there was one,
    he lost the title against Rosberg.

When you are talking about Rubens (oh you feel so much sorry right ), you should talk about bottas how many times he was ordered to move away? Don’t talk about these bed time stories Please.

Lewis is no where match to Michael & he will never be. Lewis has dominant cars 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020.
    No others rivals cars are match to that Mercs.
    You saw how Rosberg fetched the title with a dominant car against Lewis. So given full support from team, any above avg driver can pull that title off against Ham.

With due credit, Ham is not an ordinary driver.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    That's what drives me crazy. F1/FIA did everything they could to stop Ferrari's dominance yet it seems they do what they can to ensure Mercedes keeps its dominance. I still don't understand why the FIA make a rule to homologate the power units in 2014, a brand new setup and Mercedes have a solid 75 horsepower advantage and are protected by the governing body.
    I think priorities have changed over the years. Today, cost takes center stage.

I don't think the FIA intentionally design the sporting regulation to make Merc the dominant team. Rather, it is a consequence of cost cutting measures.
    With the kind of development restrictions in place, whoever got the engine formula right from the get go will always have an advantage.
    The only way we can close the gap is to say engine makers that aren't there yet, can have more development room to catch up. But this clearly isn't going to be considered fair.

I don't know how F1 can ever solve this. The sport is very technical and expensive, but F1 can't run away from being technical. We will be losing a huge chunk of what makes F1 what it is, if we homologate the cars. But at the same time, the development race has become too challenging for its own good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I think priorities have changed over the years. Today, cost takes center stage.

I don't think the FIA intentionally design the sporting regulation to make Merc the dominant team. Rather, it is a consequence of cost cutting measures.
    With the kind of development restrictions in place, whoever got the engine formula right from the get go will always have an advantage.
    The only way we can close the gap is to say engine makers that aren't there yet, can have more development room to catch up. But this clearly isn't going to be considered fair.

I don't know how F1 can ever solve this. The sport is very technical and expensive, but F1 can't run away from being technical. We will be losing a huge chunk of what makes F1 what it is, if we homologate the cars. But at the same time, the development race has become too challenging for its own good.
    I think F1 had hopes that 2014 would stop the dominance by Red Bull and hoped to see a close battle between Mercedes, Ferrari, and Red Bull as well. Everyone predicted the teams that could develop the PU along with the chassis had an advantage. Mercedes got it right, everyone else not so much. 2014 and 2015 one could see why a single team would dominate. However the homologated engine rules protected the Mercedes advantage. It's possible Mercedes would have done a better job anyways, but I'd have liked to see teams have the chance of trying new ideas.

I personally think the hybrid engines are the problem. Not only can a team have big power advantages if their PU can deliver max power across the entire RPM range, but also battery charging rates, packaging of the PU, power delivery combined with engine mapping. If they are to continue with hybrid, they almost need to make a standardized ERS system with limited mapping.

It’s unseemly for Ferrari fans to complain about Mercedes when Ferrari won the Title for 6 years in a row. The team was doing great in 2017 and 2018 and then in 2019 clown Binotto took charge. What a disaster he’s been, not Hamilton. Strange how this forum talks about Hamilton more than anyone else from Ferrari for supposed Ferrari fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrasher View Post
    It’s unseemly for Ferrari fans to complain about Mercedes when Ferrari won the Title for 6 years in a row. The team was doing great in 2017 and 2018 and then in 2019 clown Binotto took charge. What a disaster he’s been, not Hamilton. Strange how this forum talks about Hamilton more than anyone else from Ferrari for supposed Ferrari fans.
    6 in a row and 8 in 10 years. The difference being Ferrari actually had to fight for those championships, and there was open testing. 1999, 2000, 2003, 2007, and 2008 were all extremely close battles with cars that were quite close in performance.

Ferrari put a bit of a fight in 2017 and 2018, but got soundly beat both years. The truth is Mercedes has had virtually zero competition 2014-2020. You could put Lance Stroll and Latifi in those cars and they would be champions in those cars.

I think the issue is the lack of being able to develop to compete. When the engines were locked that pretty much sealed 2-3 titles for Merc with no competition. When Ferrari were winning, teams were able to develop as quick as they were able to. When Ferrari were winning, drastic rule changes were implemented to close competition. You can't get competitive if you are not allowed to develop. even the aero changes brought about in 2017 didn't hamper Mercs because they still had an engine advantage over the others. Let's not forget that Mercs created this engine formula, and they've been using it in production vehicles for many years. Ferrari had the chance in 2019 when their engine was quicker... if they had some downforce, season may have been different.

Yes, been a bit of a secret lurker and am astounded at the amount of time & energy this forum spends on dissecting Hamilton! It's almost an obsession! Anyway Ferrari had their chances in 2017 & 2018. They should've won in 2018, the car was there....no point in taking out frustrations on Hamilton .

Charles is for sure good enough to be a winner this season. He knows how to fight his way up to the front. I hope for the best, Ferrari is not new at this F-1 Business. There's hope for sure.

Charles is for sure good enough to be a winner this season. He knows how to fight his way up to the front. I hope for the best, Ferrari is not new at this F-1 Business. There's hope for sure.

I am sorry that I need to bring this up to you, not that he is not going to win, but that podium in the opening race is like WDC!!!! In order for Ferrari car to win a race this year, it has to be following situation:
    - Both Mercedes DNF
    - Both Red Bull DNF
    - Both Racing Point DNF
    - I am not sure at this point we could fight off McLaren, so maybe when everyone else is DNFing, those two can also, just to be on a safe side.

And on top of all this above, pit wall should work 200% right in order not to mess something!

Ferrari was not dominant all these years. Actually Ferrari had to fight at least two teams more of the times. Moreover the two times they were dominant, 2002 and 2004 , FiA came to change the rules in order to stop said domination , something that has yet to happen for Mercedes. In fact what happens is that whenever Ferrari catches up, there is all sort of commotion, sensors installed in the cars and accusations. So no, there is nothing unseemly about this.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Charles is a great driver but he needs a great car. Look how the pink copycats of the last years merc are flying . A clear proof there is nothing special in what lewis is doing. Give a monkey a car like that and he will get a championship.

"If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Ferrari was not dominant all these years. Actually Ferrari had to fight at least two teams more of the times. Moreover the two times they were dominant, 2002 and 2004 , FiA came to change the rules in order to stop said domination , something that has yet to happen for Mercedes. In fact what happens is that whenever Ferrari catches up, there is all sort of commotion, sensors installed in the cars and accusations. So no, there is nothing unseemly about this.

In terms of car performance, neither have Merc been completely dominant since 2014....Ferrari got close in 2017 & matched them in 2018. And it's not like the rules have been static since 2014, how many regulation changes have we had?. And the FIA haven't been shy of clamping down on certain things that have particularly affected Merc e.g. FRIC, trick suspension, front wings, DAS etc Even the dropping of the token system, earlier than originally agreed, was done to help others try catch up on Merc Pu.

I'm with Bonecrasher on this... fans of a team who overall dominated for 6yrs, moaning about another team doing similar....pot, kettle, black

2018 was a good Ferrari car for sure. I believe Seb just can't cut it when he's in a fight for getting up front. More due to his mistakes than the car not up there. When he was with R Bull and he had the front locked up, he won 9 straight in 2013. Lewis has a great car and wins with it. What else can anyone want from a driver? In 2116 Lewis lost by 1 pt. !! to Nico. That's why he went for the extra point last race for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Charles is a great driver but he needs a great car. Look how the pink copycats of the last years merc are flying . A clear proof there is nothing special in what lewis is doing. Give a monkey a car like that and he will get a championship.

Yes, Hamilton is an excellent driver but put anyone in that car and they will win the championship. If not him, Bottas would have been champion the past few years.

Having Verstappen or Leclerc in a car with the same or similar performance would be interesting.

2018 was a good Ferrari car for sure. I believe Seb just can't cut it when he's in a fight for getting up front. More due to his mistakes than the car not up there. When he was with R Bull and he had the front locked up, he won 9 straight in 2013. Lewis has a great car and wins with it. What else can anyone want from a driver? In 2116 Lewis lost by 1 pt. !! to Nico. That's why he went for the extra point last race for sure.
    The 2018 car was more than capable of going neck & neck with the Merc, it was completely on par. Some reputable figures in the paddock like Brawn, AMuS etc even said the Ferrari was the better car. Let down by strategic errors & driver mistakes, but the SF71H was completely title worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCHEY View Post
    The 2018 car was more than capable of going neck & neck with the Merc, it was completely on par. Some reputable figures in the paddock like Brawn, AMuS etc even said the Ferrari was the better car. Let down by strategic errors & driver mistakes, but the SF71H was completely title worthy.
    In the first half of the season yes, but after the engine clampdown and Merc innovations that was no longer the case.

Also, we had races gifted to Merc where they were allowed to bring their own tyres.

Also, I remember calculating that Verstappen cost Seb more than 30 points to Hamilton that year through his crashes.

Crashstappen costs us the title that year, arrogant *****.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!