Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rory Byrne is back?

Rory Byrne is back?

We have been asking for this from 2010 i think. Hoping against hope that he will come and create some magic.
    It took this years predicament to pull him back from retirement it seems. Though it doesn't say to what capacity is his involvement, but says a new performance dept has been created with Enrico Cardile and features input from Rory Byrne.
    Can we hope for miracles now?
    Silently, like a shadow

Rory Byrne is back?

Wasn’t he pulled in from retirement a few times already? Working as an advisor and stuff? Didn’t help, did it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rory Byrne (born 10 January 1944) is a South African semi-retired engineer and car designer, most famous for being the chief designer at the Benetton and Scuderia Ferrari Formula One teams.
    Byrne-designed cars have won ninety-nine Grands Prix, seven constructors' titles and seven drivers' titles. This makes Byrne the third most successful Formula One designer, behind rivals Adrian Newey and Colin Chapman.

With all due respect, I think we are in need of some new, young, hungry lions...

My understanding is that Rory Byrne will be chief designer of the 2022 car

If anyone can give Ferrari a champion car, it's Rory Byrne.

The designer of the 1994 and 1995 Benetton's and the Ferrari cars from 1997-2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiklub View Post
    Wasn’t he pulled in from retirement a few times already? Working as an advisor and stuff? Didn’t help, did it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, he helped with the 2017 car. This would be his 2nd time as a consult for Ferrari in this turbo hybrid era.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Yes, he helped with the 2017 car. This would be his 2nd time as a consult for Ferrari in this turbo hybrid era.
    and the 2017 car had pretty good aero in both high speed and low speed corners....the car lacked some engine power, otherwise we woudl have won the championship that year....only if we had the fuel trick flow in 2017

Yes the 2017 car was a good one but instead of building on it, they completely abandoned the concept and went for an entirely different one in 2018.

Byrne is a brilliant mind and while I welcome is ideas, I wouldn't expect miracles. For one, he many not come back in the capacity he once was. Secondly, he's been away from the current gen of cars for some time. Like anything it takes time to develop and refine ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    and the 2017 car had pretty good aero in both high speed and low speed corners....the car lacked some engine power, otherwise we woudl have won the championship that year....
    yep....agreed on all points.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Yes the 2017 car was a good one but instead of building on it, they completely abandoned the concept and went for an entirely different one in 2018.
    Thank-you Arrivabene. Then the 2nd half of 2018, aero development went south. That's when Binotto told Ferrari "Either he goes or I go!"
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    Byrne is a brilliant mind and while I welcome is ideas, I wouldn't expect miracles. For one, he many not come back in the capacity he once was. Secondly, he's been away from the current gen of cars for some time. Like anything it takes time to develop and refine ideas.
    Anything is better then what we have now....I mean we have some great minds in the aero dept. but Rory is a genius and I’m sure he would bring some good knowledge and help our team that seems to be in a dire time right now.

We tried to get Newey...boy have we tried, numerous times, but he just wouldn’t want to relocate to Maranello, and frankly I don’t blame him

The guy is an absolute legend!

Anything is better then what we have now....I mean we have some great minds in the aero dept. but Rory is a genius and I’m sure he would bring some good knowledge and help our team that seems to be in a dire time right now.

We tried to get Newey...boy have we tried, numerous times, but he just wouldn’t want to relocate to Maranello, and frankly I don’t blame him
    Why would you not blame him? As a country Italy is far more beautiful than England. I thought Newey was turned off Iraly after the potential manslaughter charges for Sennas death in 94 and all the legal crap that occurred round that. Looking at this years hard to handle Red Bull it's no great loss.

He is with us again from 2012-13.
    He had a high role in 2014s car design. And since then he is a consultant but as some say probably they have put him aside in the last couple of years!!!!! Let's see what he can do now????!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

From about 97-2008 I think Rory proved to be better than Newey anyways. Sure Williams was by far the best car in 97, and McLaren won the titles in 98 and 99 but look at the leaps Ferrari made with the F310B because of Byrne to the point the F399 was capable of winning the championship(s).

I'm very excited if Rory is in fact back, but I think his focus will be more on the 2022 car than the 2020 or 2021 cars.

From about 97-2008 I think Rory proved to be better than Newey anyways. Sure Williams was by far the best car in 97, and McLaren won the titles in 98 and 99 but look at the leaps Ferrari made with the F310B because of Byrne to the point the F399 was capable of winning the championship(s).

I'm very excited if Rory is in fact back, but I think his focus will be more on the 2022 car than the 2020 or 2021 cars.
    As it should be. The only updates that should appear on the car between now and 2022 are those that are useful in some major way for 2022. ( I would include solving any correlation issues in this statement)

Agreed.

And yes, it was confirmed he will be focusing on the 2022 car.

This gives me hope. Finally.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I'm just happy to hear he'll have more of an involvement... the guy was a wizard... Ferrari needs as much help as they can get!

But the wind tunnel still seems to be a major issue...
    Last edited by Tony; 25th July 2020 at 05:57.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Are you guys buying this? Really?

In the past I had read this same headline more than 4 times, even in the Alonso era.

that's correct, but those have been rumors, this time it was actually announced that he was gonna be coming back to the technical team, and not just a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by bkircher View Post
    that's correct, but those have been rumors, this time it was actually announced that he was gonna be coming back to the technical team, and not just a rumor.
    I’ll believe it when I see a fast dominant ferrari, one that will beat the crap out of Mercedes

Or more importantly when ferrari themselves are gonna announce that Rory will be back in action

It is ferrari that announced that Byrne will have a role in the scheme of things. It was not Turini or some publication.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

With all due respect, isn't it better to actually hire someone who is involved now in F1?! Maybe I am wrong... Time will tell...

Ferrari

By the conclusion of the 1996 season Michael Schumacher was being given free rein at Ferrari to build a team of engineers capable of returning the team to the top of the sport after years of underperforming. Benetton technical director Ross Brawn was hired and Ferrari approached Rory Byrne to replace the team's existing chief designer John Barnard who refused to re-locate to Italy. After long negotiations Byrne was lured from his retirement in Thailand back to Europe where he began building a design office at Ferrari's Maranello headquarters. Ferrari were immediately competitive once again, taking the title fight to the final race of the season in both 1997 and 1998. Continuing to build momentum in the following seasons, Ferrari won the constructors' championship in 1999, their first in 17 years. By the end of the 2004 season, Byrne-designed Ferraris had secured 71 race victories, six consecutive constructors' titles and five consecutive drivers' titles for Michael Schumacher with a sustained level of dominance never before seen in the sport.
    In 2004 Rory Byrne announced that he would be retiring from Formula One at the end of the 2006 season, handing over the role of chief designer to Aldo Costa, his assistant since 1998. On 19 September 2006, it was announced that Rory had extended his stay, as a consultant, at Ferrari for another two years which led him until early 2009.[2]
    In 2012, Byrne was called in to look at the Ferrari F2012 F1 car after it had a troubled start to its life.[3] He was also involved in the design of LaFerrari.[citation needed]
    In February 2013, at the launch of F138 – in interview to the German Auto Motor und Sport Rory Byrne said that he is "working full steam" on Ferrari's 2014 F1 car, in an advisory role.
    Maurizio Arrivabene revealed that Byrne is working as mentor in Ferrari helping the chief designer Simone Resta.[4]

Why would he need to be in F1 right now? Aerodynamics don't change over time...
    Forza Ferrari

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-ro...n-and-ferrari/

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-fe...o-2020-season/

“The department run by Enrico Cardile will be able to count on the experience of Rory Byrne and David Sanchez.”

As a result, the newly-created Performance Development department will be led by Enrico Cardile. It will see Rory Bryne play a more prominent role in Ferrari’s car development.

The restructuring will see the genius designer working with Enrico Cardile, primarily to work on the 2022 car.

The shake-up sees the creation of a Performance Development department to be led by Enrico Cardile. There is status quo elsewhere, apart from the addition of Rory Bryne to Cardile’s team. They will focus on the development of the 2022 car.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Why would he need to be in F1 right now? Aerodynamics don't change over time...
    Yeap... They all look a like...

Ah so the physics of aero changes over time?

Guess that's why aeroplanes are just unable to fly anymore...the physics changed....
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Ah so the physics of aero changes over time?

Guess that's why aeroplanes are just unable to fly anymore...the physics changed....
    Physics didn't change, but there is always some new stuff to learn... Any way this is not meant to be some kind of war of words with you, just saying that maybe instead of taking some one out of pension is better to hire some new hungry lion. With all due respect to pensioners and hungry lions!

Or maybe wise to get someone who knows good aero regardless of their age?
    Forza Ferrari

Rory Byrne is one of the best car designers in F1 history. He has been still involved at Ferrari so will be aware and up to date with all the latest developments.

Either way, I don't see it making a difference in designing a new car, as each year, especially with new rules, will provide new and different challenges which will have to be overcome.

And considering the problems with the wind tunnel, I feel better knowing that a more 'old school' designer will be working on the car.