Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Sainz watch

Carlos Sainz watch

Beaten by Norris again, cause for concern?

He did well last year, but so far this year he doesn't really look up for it. Surely he'll at least hold Bottas' level but I'm having some doubts about this signing. Might should've waited a bit longer. Hopefully he'll gel better with the car than Vettel, but I'm having a suspicion that Sainz risks being a mere stop-gap #2 in waiting for one of our youngsters, Norris or Russell unless he finds the mojo from last year again. To be honest, I think he'll be dreading going up against Leclerc a bit at the moment.

We'll see I guess.

So, should we have gotten Norris instead....or maybe get Kimi for one more year

Carlos should stay at Mclaren. At least he will beat a Ferrari....maybe both Ferrari's track dependent.

Yes, he's getted skewered by Norris.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

That's the exact reason why Ferrari choose him. Sorry to pour water on some peoples expectation, but Sainz isn't anything special. He's a solid driver and a good number 2 for Charles.

If some people really thought Sainz to be as special as the likes of Charles or Max.....then oh well.

He’s no match for Charles. He’ll be a good #2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't rate Norris anywhere near Max or Charles, so it's a bit bothersome. Something tells me we may be on the lookout for Norris as #2 within a year or two unless Sainz can raise his game while at us.

I've never seen much fire in Sainz in all the years he's been in F1. Hopefully he ups his game, collects some points and mainly stays out of Leclerc's way.

True but he must be better than what vettal is.At this point Ferrari is a one man team it's all on Charles shoulders and he is handling the pressure well to date.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    That's the exact reason why Ferrari choose him. Sorry to pour water on some peoples expectation, but Sainz isn't anything special. He's a solid driver and a good number 2 for Charles.

If some people really thought Sainz to be as special as the likes of Charles or Max.....then oh well.
    +1
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    I don't rate Norris anywhere near Max or Charles, so it's a bit bothersome. Something tells me we may be on the lookout for Norris as #2 within a year or two unless Sainz can raise his game while at us.
    Norris is very good. May not be Lec or Max level (yet), but hes not a no.2 driver at all.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    Beaten by Norris again, cause for concern?

He did well last year.
    Yes, 96-49 last year, I am not worried, he is stable and does not make mistakes, perfect Nr2 for Ferrari.

Ferrari considered sainz just because he can collect good points with no mistakes. Also he’s not much No.1 material & political. Which doesn’t cause any problem to ferrari & Leclerc.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Ferrari considered sainz just because he can collect good points with no mistakes. Also he’s not much No.1 material & political. Which doesn’t cause any problem to ferrari & Leclerc.
    He's only a good choice if he can get podiums and take points away from Charles closest rivals.
    Changes aren't permanent........But change is.
    ALL LIVES MATTER... EVEN YOURS

It's hard to tell what a drivers' capacity is moving from team to team, but since this year's and 2021 Ferrari will have to be driven at low downforce to even stand a chance and McLaren have always been dependent on corner speed, it's likely to be a tough transformation for Sainz. He'll need to chance his driving style completely. Also since the 2022 cars will be even slower in the corners, that has me concerned there too. The most important thing is: if the car would be fast enough for a pole in 2022, can Sainz be on the front row? That was the issue with Kimi most of the time, that he couldn't, which left Vettel to fight both grey cars alone.

Not really, just bad luck.

In the first Silverstone race he was running in P5 before his front left tyre punctured on the last lap. In the second race he lost a lot of time during the first pit stop which really compromised his race.

It's looking like Sainz is going to be our Bottas. It's not something I like in the least but it looks like that to me.

Sainz will do a good job, more than bottas I think. Because his race craft is good. Tyre management too is better.

Sainz will be there as the number 2, he's not expected to be the fastest racer available.

The fact Ferrari are going with 2 young divers should tell us all something, they're not setting their sights on titles for the next few years...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Sainz will be there as the number 2, he's not expected to be the fastest racer available.

The fact Ferrari are going with 2 young divers should tell us all something, they're not setting their sights on titles for the next few years...
    well, i personally think that charles even though is young, i'm think he can win the championship IF HE HAD a championship winning car.....but sadly, Ferrari have failed to do so....and NOT just with him, with all the good enough drivers they've had since 2009

Gotta love how people here ignore all the issues Sainz had this last races.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    Gotta love how people here ignore all the issues Sainz had this last races.
    Yep his tyre blew out in the last race and he was screwed by a bad pitstop this race. He's a solid racer and a good foil for Leclerc. Will keep him honest whilst also getting us solid points finishes. Also note he only had 11 points after first 5 races in 2019 yet finished 6th overall. Consistency matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

Max is 22 yrs. old and R Bulls main man. It's how bad the driver want's to win. Right now Max and his Honda R Bull are Lewis' main competition. A young driver is a plus not a minus. Compare Seb or even Kimi with Max or Charles! Also there will be less stresssss for Binotto telling Carlos to let him pass when it needs to be done. Massa just quit F-E ! I wonder if he could have been a better choice to replace Seb had Ferrari known ? Stroll is for sure a driver to watch. Ambition and not bad results! 5th place in Spain!
    Last edited by Brembo; 17th August 2020 at 07:58.

That's definitely more like it from Sainz. Hopefully he'll have the measure of Norris the rest of the season now so he can come in filled with confidence.

Saintz looking great! Charles looking and is great when he has a car. Come next season who will be on 1st @ Ferrari? Both contracts are probably done. Too late to do a Shumy. Binotto will be put to the test again. Any and all car improvements will be ruined if these two drivers knock each other out .

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Saintz looking great! Charles looking and is great when he has a car. Come next season who will be on 1st @ Ferrari? Both contracts are probably done. Too late to do a Shumy. Binotto will be put to the test again. Any and all car improvements will be ruined if these two drivers knock each other out .
    He will get outpaced I'm afraid. Charles is consistently beating Seb who even with current form will drive circles around at least 15 out of the 20 drivers on the current grid. We are being robbed from seeing the talents of both drivers because of a car that is incredibly hard to drive and incredibly slow at that.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

I agree that Charles is that great. But will Saintz do a Charles on Charles like Charles did to Seb? If allowed ?

I agree that Charles is that great. But will Saintz do a Charles on Charles like Charles did to Seb? If allowed ?
    He is a great driver but I don't think that will happen. He got easily outpaced by quite a margin by Nico Hulkenberg but crazier things have happened before. So as of now, I would say that it is very unlikely.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

He wont be allowed.
    Even if he is, hes very good no doubt, i doubt he is as good as charles.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    He wont be allowed.
    Even if he is, hes very good no doubt, i doubt he is as good as charles.
    If Carlos is genuinely faster than Charles, it won't be long before the men at Maranello decide to change their priorities. But like you said, it really is doubtful for him to come close to Charles. Charles is making Seb, a 4x WDC and a really top driver (don't be fooled by his mistakes made on undrivable cars, his pace is good enough to destroy all but 4 drivers on the grid) look like an amateur in what is essentially a safety hazard of a car. We need to remember that the reason he wasn't able to do well in 2018 was because the 2018 Renault didn't suit his driving style, hence indicating that adaptation isn't his strength (a field where Charles is a master). So in the case that the 2021 car is as undrivable as the SF1000, Carlos will likely get whitewashed.

Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    If Carlos is genuinely faster than Charles, it won't be long before the men at Maranello decide to change their priorities.
    Yes. and thats how it should be.
    in what is essentially a safety hazard of a car.

We need to remember that the reason he wasn't able to do well in 2018 was because the 2018 Renault didn't suit his driving style, hence indicating that adaptation isn't his strength (a field where Charles is a master). So in the case that the 2021 car is as undrivable as the SF1000, Carlos will likely get whitewashed.
    yes. most likely. however if the car suits him, we could have the strongest pairing in F1.
    Silently, like a shadow