Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 91

Thread: Eifel GP 2020 - Practice and Qualifying

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    222
    What a lap by Charles!

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    78
    Charles is a beast. He lost four tenths in sector 3 and I can guarantee most of that was leading uphill to the chicane. Such a shame we messed up with the engine this season.
    Last edited by Rob; 10th October 2020 at 18:43.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Godric's Hollow
    Posts
    6,320
    Qualifying maximum speeds:

    Perez 321

    Bottas 318

    Hulk 318

    Hamilton 317

    Ocon 317

    Norris 317

    Sainz 316

    Ricciardo 315

    Gio 314

    Russell 314

    Gasy 313

    Kvyat 313

    Max 312

    Albon 312

    Latifi 312

    Leclerc 311

    Vettel 310

    Magnussen 310

    Raikkonen 310

    Grosjean 309

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    It's the track.
    With a good engine I think Leclerc would have smashed Bottas/Max.

    Sky F1 are just mentioning Lewis & Max best drivers on the current grid. They are underestimating Leclerc.
    In one way it’s fine, next year with a good engine. He will take on those so called best drivers.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    7,721
    Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    With a good engine I think Leclerc would have smashed Bottas/Max.
    most likely
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    222
    I think I'd rate Max, Lewis, Charles and Fernando once he's back as the best on the grid, not in any order. I think these 4 are capable of maximizing what a car can do at all times.

    Charles is doing now what Lewis did in those trash early 2010's Mclarens and what Fernando did in the off pace Ferrari's when fighting RB.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    With a good engine I think Leclerc would have smashed Bottas/Max.

    Sky F1 are just mentioning Lewis & Max best drivers on the current grid. They are underestimating Leclerc.
    In one way it’s fine, next year with a good engine. He will take on those so called best drivers.
    In raw pace, I think he is the best. He needs to make less mistakes, which I guess you get with experience. Having to drive a box would only help in that regard.
    Last edited by Rob; 10th October 2020 at 18:44.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    7,721
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    In raw pace, I think he is the best. He needs to make less mistakes, which I guess you get with experience. Having to drive a box would only help in that regard.
    It's a shame his talent is wasted this year and possibly next year.

    Stats, in this regard when comparing drivers ahead of Leclerc, don't always tell the truth IF one follows F1 religiously.
    Last edited by Rob; 10th October 2020 at 18:44.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    It's a shame his talent is wasted this year and possibly next year.

    Stats, in this regard when comparing drivers ahead of Leclerc, don't always tell the truth IF one follows F1 religiously.
    It is often the years with bad cars where drivers become special. Villeneuve in '80, Mansell and Berger in '89, Alesi in '94/'95, Schumacher in '96, Raikkonen in '09 and Alonso in '14, all of them are good examples of such a thing happening. Ferrari has always fought back to the top after the toughest of times. I don't see why it won't happen with Leclerc. We have a top 3 driver and a top 3 chassis. All we need is a great engine, a well disciplined pit crew and at least decent strategy team.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    7,721
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    It is often the years with bad cars where drivers become special. Villeneuve in '80, Mansell and Berger in '89, Alesi in '94/'95, Schumacher in '96, Raikkonen in '09 and Alonso in '14, all of them are good examples of such a thing happening. Ferrari has always fought back to the top after the toughest of times.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    I don't see why it won't happen with Leclerc. We have a top 3 driver and a top 3 chassis. All we need is a great engine, a well disciplined pit crew and at least decent strategy team.
    I don't see it happening next year.

    We have some up-coming drivers from F2 that are'nt bad. All 3 are actually quite good but not like Leclerc when he raced in F2 whom stood out and dominated the race...very consistent.

    It's frustrating for me to see a talented driver with a crappy car......and even more so when these 3 F2 drivers make their F1 debut and get a Ferrari seat. By then, the Ferrari car will be competitive up front.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,134
    I just can't believe that Bottas and Lewis are not racing each other for the wins. A #2 driver taking pole when Lewis really wants to win just doesn't fit a #2 drivers orders.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    326
    Leclerc is phenomenal!

    In my opinion, the fastest driver on the grid.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kiato-Greece
    Posts
    2,882
    Leclerc smiles: "We are going in the right direction"

    The Monegasque hit an unexpected fourth time in qualifying at the Nurburgring and praised the Scuderia's work for the small updates that are making the SF1000 progress.
    That Charles Leclerc was a real qualifying animal is nothing new and today the Monegasque once again showed all his qualities on the flying lap.

    Charles had already made it clear in the only free practice session that took place, this morning, that he found a good feeling with the SF1000 by hitting the third time behind Bottas and Hamilton, but in qualifying he pulled a rabbit out of the hat .

    After passing Q2 with the fifth time trial, and thus becoming the only Ferrari driver present in Q3, Leclerc made the most of the last available lap to stop the clock at a time of 1'26''035 and precede by only 12 thousandths the Red Bull of an Albon revitalized by the new chassis.

    At the end of qualifying Charles did not hide all his happiness for a result that finally brings a smile back to his face after the difficulties suffered in the last rounds.

    “I'm happy, we didn't expect it. At the beginning of the weekend we brought a small update for the car, but seeing the result confirms that we are going in the right direction. We have to take small steps at a time to get where we want ”.

    Leclerc said one of Ferrari's advantages came not only from the small updates adopted on the SF1000, but also from Friday's cancellation of free practice which complicated the rival teams' plans.

    “I had a good lap. I certainly benefited from the fact that FP1 and FP2 did not take place. We started with a good balance and then we did a good job ”.

    Leclerc was not only surprised by today's fourth time trial, but above all by how his Ferrari managed to adapt perfectly to the low temperatures of the Nurburgring asphalt.

    “Being competitive in these temperatures was a surprise. Usually we struggle with the cold, while today we went strong ”.

    Tomorrow's race is likely to be held in the rain, at least according to the weather forecast, but for Leclerc the biggest unknown for all derives from the lack of knowledge of the behavior of the tires with a full tank of petrol.

    “I don't know how the race will go. We will all start blindly because we don't have data on long runs with a lot of fuel. I hope to have a good start from the clean side of the track, then everything will be possible ”.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    It is often the years with bad cars where drivers become special. Villeneuve in '80, Mansell and Berger in '89, Alesi in '94/'95, Schumacher in '96, Raikkonen in '09 and Alonso in '14, all of them are good examples of such a thing happening. Ferrari has always fought back to the top after the toughest of times. I don't see why it won't happen with Leclerc. We have a top 3 driver and a top 3 chassis. All we need is a great engine, a well disciplined pit crew and at least decent strategy team.
    Gilles way way before my time, but those in bold aren't really compatible. Kimi was being outscored by Massa in 2009 before Hungaroring, Alesi was soundly showed up when he and Michael swapped cars and don't get me started on Berger and Mansell in relation to Senna and Prost as drivers. All those seasons we'd done a lot better with better drivers (Prost '89, Schumacher '94-95 and Alonso '09). Given the power advantage we had through KERS in 2009 and with development to the end of the season, I think Alonso would've taken Button to the wire in our car that year and would've won Monaco, then swept Hungary, Valencia, Spa and Monza in a row once the KERS system got properly sussed out.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    towradgi beach
    Posts
    1,386
    Seb has lost his way charles is today's Numero uno no question.Even at Aston martin seb will struggle.I really wonder what on earth he is really thinking.Ferrari chipping away problems nicely.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    N. Delhi/Helsinki
    Posts
    4,755
    Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Seb has lost his way charles is today's Numero uno no question.Even at Aston martin seb will struggle.I really wonder what on earth he is really thinking.Ferrari chipping away problems nicely.
    Struggle in F1 is primarily highlighted by how you perform against your team mate. Most here thought Vettel was going great against Kimi, and it was Kimi who was struggling. Perception changed completely when Charles arrived. Maybe Seb is still performing at same level, it’s just that we compare him against Charles.

    So, I don’t think Seb will struggle at RP. I expect him to roll over Stroll

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    4,102
    Great job from Charles, hope it can work for him in the race. Seb in his usual place, sadly, and well done again for GIO to get to Q2. Avanti ragazzi!

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    England
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by patrese86 View Post
    Charles is a beast. He lost four tenths in sector 3 and I can guarantee most of that was leading uphill to the chicane. Such a shame we messed up with the engine this season.
    Didn't mess up the engine with poor design, forced changes very late, no time to change anything until they froze the engine. Next years engine will be much better. Hell they probably already have a new engine they could use right now but the stupid FIA rule stops it, like that would help poor teams like Willuams and McLaren.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kiato-Greece
    Posts
    2,882
    Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    Didn't mess up the engine with poor design, forced changes very late, no time to change anything until they froze the engine. Next years engine will be much better. Hell they probably already have a new engine they could use right now but the stupid FIA rule stops it, like that would help poor teams like Willuams and McLaren.
    Binotto
    “Next year we will have a completely new engine that has been running on the bench for months providing good feedback.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    797
    I just watched the quali highlights. INCREDIBLE! I'm super-happy about Charles (obviously), I'm glad the "useless" Bottas beat Lewis (wouldn't it be great if Lewis stayed stuck on 90 the rest of the season?) and I'm totally baffled about Vettel (I really hope the team are not messing him around).
    Last edited by ntukza; 11th October 2020 at 07:26.
    Black Lives Matter
    We Race as One
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

  21. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Binotto
    “Next year we will have a completely new engine that has been running on the bench for months providing good feedback.
    Lovely! 2021 couldn't come sooner!
    Black Lives Matter
    We Race as One
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

  22. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    In raw pace, I think he is the best. He needs to make less mistakes, which I guess you get with experience. Having to drive a box would only help in that regard.
    Agree. He needs to work on Wet race skills, but he will learn it gradually with the time moving on.

  23. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Binotto
    “Next year we will have a completely new engine that has been running on the bench for months providing good feedback.
    That’s a good. But still I don’t have any hope it’s a Merc beater.
    May be a near match up to them & driver pulls off something special.

  24. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Struggle in F1 is primarily highlighted by how you perform against your team mate. Most here thought Vettel was going great against Kimi, and it was Kimi who was struggling. Perception changed completely when Charles arrived. Maybe Seb is still performing at same level, it’s just that we compare him against Charles.

    So, I don’t think Seb will struggle at RP. I expect him to roll over Stroll
    Well said.

    He’s not at all in that great driver category. Neither ordinary driver too.
    When he has a fastest car only, will disappear else we see him struggling/spinning etc.

  25. #85
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    That’s a good. But still I don’t have any hope it’s a Merc beater.
    May be a near match up to them & driver pulls off something special.
    There are rumors that Mercedes redesigned their 2021 engine and they will have a good performance boost.

  26. #86
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    India
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    There are rumors that Mercedes redesigned their 2021 engine and they will have a good performance boost.
    Let them carry their performance. It’s their era & no one’s stopping them.
    It was always ferrari in the radar for FIA.

  27. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    There are rumors that Mercedes redesigned their 2021 engine and they will have a good performance boost.
    Redesigning the engine this late into the era is risky though. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

  28. #88
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    Redesigning the engine this late into the era is risky though. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
    Engine development will be frozen from 2023 until 2025. FIA is planning to introduce new power units in 2025.

    Mercedes wants to be sure they will dominate all the way to 2025.

  29. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Engine development will be frozen from 2023 until 2025. FIA is planning to introduce new power units in 2025.

    Mercedes wants to be sure they will dominate all the way to 2025.
    Yes but redesigning such a successful model will be risky. If they fail, there is no going back because the engine development will be frozen.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

  30. #90
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    Yes but redesigning such a successful model will be risky. If they fail, there is no going back because the engine development will be frozen.
    I'd love to see that but lets be realistic. When it was the last time that Mercedes failed to provide something good ?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •