Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bahrain Grand Prix 2020 Sakhir - Race

I honestly didn't expect anything more from this race and so it proved, next week will probably be just as bad, possibly worse, so the sooner this season is over the better. So pleased that Romain got out of that inferno and appears to have only minor burns and broken rib/s and he must be suffering from shock. The halo did its job, thank heavens. Both Williams were fighting with Seb, Kimi and GIO, Ferrari's engine is so weak that we have to trim out the aero and wreck the tyres to get any speed out of the car. A very long, worrying and frustrating afternoon, for the sake of one lucky point.

1 Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes 332
    2 Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes 201
    3 Max Verstappen NED Red Bull Racing Honda 189
    4 Daniel Ricciardo AUS Renault 102
    5 Sergio Perez MEX Racing Point BWT Mercedes 100
    6 Charles Leclerc MON Ferrari 98
    7 Lando Norris GBR McLaren Renault 86
    8 Carlos Sainz ESP McLaren Renault 85
    9 Alexander Albon THA Red Bull Racing Honda 85
    10 Pierre Gasly FRA AlphaTauri Honda 71
    11 Lance Stroll CAN Racing Point BWT Mercedes 59
    12 Esteban Ocon FRA Renault 42
    13 Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari 33
    14 Daniil Kvyat RUS AlphaTauri Honda 26
    15 Nico Hulkenberg GER Racing Point BWT Mercedes 10
    16 Kimi Räikkönen FIN Alfa Romeo Racing Ferrari 4
    17 Antonio Giovinazzi ITA Alfa Romeo Racing Ferrari 4
    18 Romain Grosjean FRA Haas Ferrari 2
    19 Kevin Magnussen DEN Haas Ferrari 1
    20 Nicholas Latifi CAN Williams Mercedes 0
    21 George Russell GBR Williams Mercedes 0

1 Mercedes 533
    2 Red Bull Racing Honda 274
    3 McLaren Renault 171
    4 Racing Point BWT Mercedes 154
    5 Renault 144
    6 Ferrari 131
    7 AlphaTauri Honda 97
    8 Alfa Romeo Racing Ferrari 8
    9 Haas Ferrari 3
    10 Williams Mercedes 0

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I honestly didn't expect anything more from this race and so it proved, next week will probably be just as bad, possibly worse, so the sooner this season is over the better. So pleased that Romain got out of that inferno and appears to have only minor burns and broken rib/s and he must be suffering from shock. The halo did its job, thank heavens. Both Williams were fighting with Seb, Kimi and GIO, Ferrari's engine is so weak that we have to trim out the aero and wreck the tyres to get any speed out of the car. A very long, worrying and frustrating afternoon, for the sake of one lucky point.
    At best, we'll go back to being the second best team. But the thing is Mercedes has a huge advantage over the Ferrari, Renault and Honda (or whatever the rebadged RedBull version is), that there really isn't a way to end this dominance unless they change the engine formula quick enough or specifically stop Mercedes.

I don't even know what happened to the FIA and how their balls dropped off. They seemed to have no trouble banning electronics to stop Williams by specifically hurting them or change the point system/change the tyre regs to hurt Ferrari. It's almost like they're deliberately trying to run the sport into the ground.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

Grosjean update:

He has 2 broken toes. That's all that was said.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

i still don't comprehend how Grosjean got to the other side of the barrier.. and if it's true - just 2 broken toes - my god, that really is a miracle
    not gonna change my profile picture

Jesus christ immagine this happened 10 years ago . https://youtu.be/iSxGxecQ8As

And honestly grojean drives like a maniac, his weaving from left to right without looking in his mirrors which caused all this ...

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    From this year disaster , to come out and say that he is happy with the new engine + to agree with engine freeze ,i find it difficult to have earn just 20hp !!!!!!
    IF that will prove the case then definitley he has to go asap !!!!!!
    He said he’s happy with results coming up but at the same time he mentioned that 30-50HP isn’t enough to compete with Merc but also other manufacturers doesn’t stop their engine development. So it means not a huge improvement.

There are two contradicting statements from him. Which one to believe I’m not sure.

My opinion was if it’s the later, then I see no reason why he should continue.

Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    There's no way we're beating McLaren in Bahrain 2, they might even take up P3 since RedBull is pretty crap in extremely low downforce condition maybe even P2-P3 if Bottas sh**s the bed again. Racing Point and Renault are pretty damn strong too. Honestly, I'm thinking that it is way too optimistic for Leclerc to get P6, let alone P4. F*** this sport, I'm out.
    Next year mclaren (Merc engine) & Renault (Alonso) will be even stronger.

The purists of this sport have always complained about Halo. But yet again Halo did its job and saved another life. Thank god Romain is relatively well.

Bahrain is always going to be a struggle, and we can't to anything about it. Hell, I even expect the bloody Williams to be faster than Ferrari at the next oval track.

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    i still don't comprehend how Grosjean got to the other side of the barrier.. and if it's true - just 2 broken toes - my god, that really is a miracle
    So far...it's burnt hands and ankles, rib or ribs broken and 2 broken toes. I will update if any news comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Jesus christ immagine this happened 10 years ago . https://youtu.be/iSxGxecQ8As

And honestly grojean drives like a maniac, his weaving from left to right without looking in his mirrors which caused all this ...

Yeah, it appears that way. Apparently there was some debris that fell off Stroll's car and went into Grosjeans right front tire but it appears that was'nt the case.

He just did'nt know Kvyat was there or did'nt clear him and clipped Kvyat's left front tire.

Next races will be the same situation. Abu Dhabi only S3 would be good, rest sectors we will be sitting ducks.
    Hope 2021 winter testing comes back soon..!!

Carlos race was good today. Hope he matches up to Leclerc, will be good for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    The purists of this sport have always complained about Halo. But yet again Halo did its job and saved another life. Thank god Romain is relatively well.
    A couple of things played into Grosjean's "safety." 1.) the monocoque 2.) Halo 3.) the medical car personnel reaction 4) the marshalls reaction 5) the nomex suit 6) the airlift to the hospital.

Everything was top-notch and split second reactionary.

The only thing that failed was the Armco. It split and Grosjean with monocoque went right thru it. It was in an area where the FIA did'nt expect a car to go off course which is why it was there. Tire barriers would have been sufficient and I think we will see something there in place this coming weekend.

Brawn said they are going to do a thorough investigation on the car exploding, breaking in 2 and the barrier itself.

Latest update on RG: He feels good, it seems nothing is broken. He has got his hands bandaged from the burns"

Haas team principal

Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    At best, we'll go back to being the second best team. But the thing is Mercedes has a huge advantage over the Ferrari, Renault and Honda (or whatever the rebadged RedBull version is), that there really isn't a way to end this dominance unless they change the engine formula quick enough or specifically stop Mercedes.

I don't even know what happened to the FIA and how their balls dropped off. They seemed to have no trouble banning electronics to stop Williams by specifically hurting them or change the point system/change the tyre regs to hurt Ferrari. It's almost like they're deliberately trying to run the sport into the ground.
    Really see Ferrari being a 3rd place team with this car.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Latest update on RG: He feels good, it seems nothing is broken. He has got his hands bandaged from the burns"

Haas team principal
    Grosjean to remain in hospital overnight after Bahrain F1 crash

Romain Grosjean will remain in hospital overnight for observation but "feels good" following his crash in Bahrain, according to Haas Formula 1 boss Gunther Steiner.

Grosjean was transferred to hospital following a terrifying crash on the opening lap of the Bahrain Grand Prix when his Haas F1 car was torn into two parts after hitting the barrier exiting Turn 3.

The Frenchman was able to escape the wreckage despite a large fire being sparked and the monocoque being embedded in the guard rail, and was quickly met by medical staff.

Haas confirmed soon after the accident that Grosjean had sustained slight burns to his hands and ankles, and was being taken to hospital with a suspected broken rib.

Team boss Steiner gave an update following the race to say that he had spoken with Grosjean and he was in good spirits, believing that he had not broken any bones, but confirmed the Frenchman would be staying in hospital overnight.

"I just spoke with him on the phone, he's in a clear state of mind, he's good," Steiner said on Sky Sports F1.

"He's still staying in the hospital overnight, they want to keep him there. But he told me and not the doctor, he feels good, it seems nothing is broken.

"He's got his hands bandaged from the burns, but otherwise he said he has no burns or nothing. He was very upbeat, I would say, so very happy."

Steiner confirmed that Grosjean's physio was quick to get in contact with his wife, updating him on his condition, and that he had spoken to his son in the aftermath of the crash.

"His physio was in contact with his wife straightaway," Steiner said.

"They know each other very well, so he was in contact and they gave him the news. I tried to call, but you can imagine these people are so busy.

"When I called him before, he was on the telephone with his son, I was told, so that's good. I think it's all under control."

Steiner refused to dwell on any possibility of needing to replace Grosjean for the final two races, saying he would be keen to drive so long as he is fit enough to do so.

"Knowing him, he wants to be back, but we'll see that tomorrow when they take the bandages off because he has no idea what they look like," Steiner said.

"For me at the moment, the only good thing is, nothing bad happened. For sure it wasn't good, but he's safe, he's healthy.

"The rest we'll see tomorrow when we speak with the doctors."

Asked what the back-up plan would be if Grosjean was not fit, Steiner replied: "I don't want to speak about the back-up plan. The back-up plan is to have Romain in if he's alright to do it."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...ht-after-crash

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/stat...25646818668549

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/stat...19273875726346

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Grosjean to remain in hospital overnight after Bahrain F1 crash

Romain Grosjean will remain in hospital overnight for observation but "feels good" following his crash in Bahrain, according to Haas Formula 1 boss Gunther Steiner.

Grosjean was transferred to hospital following a terrifying crash on the opening lap of the Bahrain Grand Prix when his Haas F1 car was torn into two parts after hitting the barrier exiting Turn 3.

The Frenchman was able to escape the wreckage despite a large fire being sparked and the monocoque being embedded in the guard rail, and was quickly met by medical staff.

Haas confirmed soon after the accident that Grosjean had sustained slight burns to his hands and ankles, and was being taken to hospital with a suspected broken rib.

Team boss Steiner gave an update following the race to say that he had spoken with Grosjean and he was in good spirits, believing that he had not broken any bones, but confirmed the Frenchman would be staying in hospital overnight.

"I just spoke with him on the phone, he's in a clear state of mind, he's good," Steiner said on Sky Sports F1.

"He's still staying in the hospital overnight, they want to keep him there. But he told me and not the doctor, he feels good, it seems nothing is broken.

"He's got his hands bandaged from the burns, but otherwise he said he has no burns or nothing. He was very upbeat, I would say, so very happy."

Steiner confirmed that Grosjean's physio was quick to get in contact with his wife, updating him on his condition, and that he had spoken to his son in the aftermath of the crash.

"His physio was in contact with his wife straightaway," Steiner said.

"They know each other very well, so he was in contact and they gave him the news. I tried to call, but you can imagine these people are so busy.

"When I called him before, he was on the telephone with his son, I was told, so that's good. I think it's all under control."

Steiner refused to dwell on any possibility of needing to replace Grosjean for the final two races, saying he would be keen to drive so long as he is fit enough to do so.

"Knowing him, he wants to be back, but we'll see that tomorrow when they take the bandages off because he has no idea what they look like," Steiner said.

"For me at the moment, the only good thing is, nothing bad happened. For sure it wasn't good, but he's safe, he's healthy.

"The rest we'll see tomorrow when we speak with the doctors."

Asked what the back-up plan would be if Grosjean was not fit, Steiner replied: "I don't want to speak about the back-up plan. The back-up plan is to have Romain in if he's alright to do it."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...ht-after-crash

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/stat...25646818668549

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/stat...19273875726346
    Steiner is pretty much straightforward, I like his way of presenting/taking the media/ handling his drivers

HaasF1Team have stated that the impact speed for Grosjean's crash was 221 km/h - or 137 mph

FIA President Jean Todt visiting Grosjean at hospital.

https://twitter.com/autosport/status...646726/photo/1

Can't believe Grosjean survived that. Glad he escaped with only minor injuries.

As for Ferrari...well I think we are done for. Much like Williams and McLaren, we are just a name now nothing more. We just make up the places on the grid. Engine will continue to be far short of what's required and at best it will mask any aero deficiencies. With the wing changes for next year I imagine it will take us a few years to get our heads around what should be a relatively simple design change.
    I'm so angry.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    HaasF1Team have stated that the impact speed for Grosjean's crash was 221 km/h - or 137 mph
    According to HAAS:

Grosjean hit the armco barrier at 53G's.

Grosjean's steering wheel collapsed at time of impact letting Grosjean unbuckle himself and exit atop the Halo.

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    Adrenalin is a hell of a drug.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by JPMFerrari View Post
    Really see Ferrari being a 3rd place team with this car.
    Yeah, whatever but you get the point. It'll be very hard for the other teams to close the gap to Mercedes.

This was'nt shown on the TV feed but Seb doing one of his pirouttes all on his own.

https://twitter.com/thomasmaheronf1/...92899945771008

That and more to come next two races. It's his way of saying good by! Besides all his great success he also can add that he drove for Ferrari !! I wish him the best! Saintz to the rescue @ Ferrari !!

I will hold my hands up and admit I was 100% anti-halo and I hated it and thought it utterly ruined the look of the cars, like a damn flip-flop placed on top.
    People have said for a while now that this accident and that accident would have been fatal without the halo, I always disagreed with them.

Until yesterday, I will now admit I was wrong and there is even no doubt to my anti-halo mind that the halo saved his life yesterday, all my complaints about it are now withdrawn.

Seeing the way the armco was bent up really gave me flashbacks to when my first F1 hero was killed in 1973 by armco. also I honestly believe that without the halo grosjean would have suffered the same fate as Helmuth Koinigg in 1974 and would have been decapitated. it's just a good job he wasn't knocked out as I don't believe the medical crew would have been able to get him out in time. Horrible crash indeed

Emerson "Emo" Fittipaldi's son, Pietro Fittipaldi, will take Grosjeans place this weekend as Grosjean heals. This will be Pietro's F1 debut for HAAS.

That's the 4th Fittipaldi in F1 then? is that a record?

Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
    That's the 4th Fittipaldi in F1 then? is that a record?
    ....possibly.

Pietro! That's nice, I like that. Pietro does a lot of simracing too, sometimes long distance races together with my son. They did the 24h of Le Mans this year together with Max Papis. Very nice guy this Pietro.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse