Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2020 - Practices and Qualifying

Cars used to be so much preattier back at the time

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Yeah....according to lap it looks like Alonso did a 1:43. I doubt the car was in quali mode and it does'nt have DRS. He was on medium Pirelli tires.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    That 15 year old car looks much more futuristic than any of the cars on the grid today. Everytime I look at them, I'm at awe that humans have actually built beasts that are so magnificent. They looked even prettier back in the day with grooved tyres and the grip (or it's lack of) it gave due to which they were ever so twitchy and unpredictable. The current cars are certainly faster but man, the cars of this entire decade except the ones from 2017, cannot look anywhere close to being as good as those.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

Shorter but heavier cars with great brunt and a ban on power steering like IndyCar is what we need. Then drivers will matter more.

Unfortunately, common sense never prevails.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    Shorter but heavier cars with great brunt and a ban on power steering like IndyCar is what we need. Then drivers will matter more.

Unfortunately, common sense never prevails.
    The R25 is lighter than ccurrent cars. Current cars are 160kg heavier....according to Vettel.

It's not Toto slamming the table with his fist.....but I like it.

https://twitter.com/FiftyBucksVT/sta...64934378250240

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Notice some of the mechanics from various teams taking videos/pictures. Quite evident what these cars still mean to F1 paddock

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Notice some of the mechanics from various teams taking videos/pictures. Quite evident what these cars still mean to F1 paddock
    agreed. "If you build it, they will come.......and watch."

Renault R25 demo runs show what modern F1 cars are missing - Alonso

Fernando Alonso says the buzz his demonstrations lap in the Renault R25 in Abu Dhabi have produced this weekend shows exactly what Formula 1 cars are missing right now.

As part of a celebration of Renault's spell in F1, with the Enstone-based team being rebranded as Alpine in 2021, Alonso is showing off his 2005 title-winning R25 in Abu Dhabi.

With his high-speed laps grabbing attention on social media, and the whole pit lane turning out en masse to see him complete a run on Saturday, Alonso suggests the agile, screaming V10-powered machine delivers a sound and emotion that current machinery cannot match.

"It is something that we are missing honestly," said Alonso, after his latest run.

"I think not only the fans, everyone in the paddock, we miss the sound. We miss the Formula 1 that we got in love with when we were kids and we were watching television.

"So now, to witness this car at this circuit, I think it was pretty special for everyone in the paddock.

"It was nice to say hi to everyone. And it was not only the Renault mechanics, everyone was out in the pit lane.

"I think it's a nice spirit when you see this kind of technology and that kind of era you know. It united all of us in one way."

Alonso switched to a soft compound of tyre during his latest run on Saturday, and Renault data suggests that he lapped in the 1m39s region.

That performance was just two seconds slower than back row starter Kevin Magnussen managed in qualifying on Saturday, and is a match for Lewis Hamilton's fastest lap of last year's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix of 1m39.2s.

Alonso added: "We are in the same time of the [current] cars in race conditions, which is quite amazing. So you know, it feels very fast. The sound is fantastic, and it sounds fast.

"Behind the wheel, you feel the vibrations, you feel everything. It is a very light car, so you feel all the motions.

"It's an amazing feeling. I'm still smiling. I have the mask on but I will be smiling until probably 2021."

While some people have been surprised at the way Alonso has attacked so hard doing the demonstration runs, the two-time world champion says there is no way he could take it easy.

"Honestly I cannot go slow with this car," he said. "Every time I'm in this cockpit and I'm in this car, with all the memories, it becomes natural to drive fast.

"To feel the speed is amazing. I know it's an old car, but it's a perfect machine for me."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ren...O0isQvKYqwxx4t

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    A bit off thread but is 2021 actually going to be any better for us?

Serious Q as I'm not paying much attention these days..

What can we change/ develop/ replace for next season that might turn our car from a donkey into a greyhound?

BTW WP, thank heavens for our respective football teams - at least we've each got one team winning stuff! #OTBC! #NCFC
    The first and most important development will be the ICE, the chassis seems to be improving anyway, Seb is being replaced with Carlos, but the structure of Ferrari as a company is currently in limbo (Camilleri's unexpected retirement), plus all the Covid effects, so it's anyone's guess whether we'll end up with a donkey or a greyhound. I don't think we'll be fighting right up front but it can't surely be any worse than 2020. I appreciate your reference to our football teams, Norwich and Bournemouth, but I must stress that I'm not a footie fan, Bournemouth just happens to be our local team, and when they lose, I am disappointed but not suicidal like I am with Ferrari! And I also note your Dad's Army reference, a TV series I am a huge fan of, it must be my age. Let's hope our drivers are not doomed tomorrow, and that Charles is more careful and Seb has a decent last race for our team, it will be a hard slog for them both and Charles will be very lucky to keep his P6 in the WDC, for what it's worth.

Lewis Hamilton Reaction To Fernando Alonso Screaming Renault V10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hol6eel1uME

Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    That 15 year old car looks much more futuristic than any of the cars on the grid today. Everytime I look at them, I'm at awe that humans have actually built beasts that are so magnificent. They looked even prettier back in the day with grooved tyres and the grip (or it's lack of) it gave due to which they were ever so twitchy and unpredictable. The current cars are certainly faster but man, the cars of this entire decade except the ones from 2017, cannot look anywhere close to being as good as those.
    100% agreed. The current cars are technical miracles, far more advanced. But then you look at F2004 or R25 (or some cars from the mid 90s) and those cars are what F1 should be about. The sound and look are on a different level.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Lewis Hamilton Reaction To Fernando Alonso Screaming Renault V10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hol6eel1uME
    For sure, all the drivers love those cars. A different level of excitement altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril View Post
    100% agreed. The current cars are technical miracles, far more advanced. But then you look at F2004 or R25 (or some cars from the mid 90s) and those cars are what F1 should be about. The sound and look are on a different level.

For sure, all the drivers love those cars. A different level of excitement altogether.
    Ferrari has 16 WCCs !!!!!!