Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2020 - Race

It's not how start but how you finish.

1. The 2020 engine was hastily constructed after the clampdown.
    2. No work has been done on the engine the entire season, Ferrari was forced to shut down the factory for 2 months.
    3. No in season development allowed.
    4. At the beginning the car had too much drag. Ferrari bolted as much dirty downforce as possible, current car was designed for the 2019 engine.
    5. The first major upgrade didn't work as expected, so they were forced to take a step back. No meaningful development until Germany.
    6. The car was very good in high downforce track. But it was below average on tracks with very long straights and where aero efficiency is key.

Next year is next year. Ferrari is not going to produce another dud of a power unit, they are happy with its progress in the dino. The chassis development was very good as well, they need to maintain the same work flow.

The only but a huge plus point this year: Leclerc's development as a racing driver.

I'm eagerly waiting for next year. Leclerc-Sainz driver lineup is very strong, Charles needs someone who'll push him on track, and Ferrari needs some one who's reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Finally, the SF1000 where it belongs.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    2. No work has been done on the engine the entire season, Ferrari was forced to shut down the factory for 2 months.
    4. At the beginning the car had too much drag. Ferrari bolted as much dirty downforce as possible, current car was designed for the 2019 engine.
    5. The first major upgrade didn't work as expected, so they were forced to take a step back. No meaningful development until Germany.
    6. The car was very good in high downforce track. But it was below average on tracks with very long straights and where aero efficiency is key.

Next year is next year. Ferrari is not going to produce another dud of a power unit, they are happy with its progress in the dino. The chassis development was very good as well, they need to maintain the same work flow.

The only but a huge plus point this year: Leclerc's development as a racing driver.

I'm eagerly waiting for next year. Leclerc-Sainz driver lineup is very strong, Charles needs someone who'll push him on track, and Ferrari needs some one who's reliable.
    I am happy that this season is finally over, however I fear that next year won’t be any different. We may close the gap and get back to battling for 2nd-3rd with our new engine. But let’s not forget this turbo era belongs to Mercedes. I can’t see any team toppling them next year. It was nice to see another team rather than Merc get a win today. However, that’s only because Bottas is useless, Hamilton is still battling Corona, and Merc tuned down the engines for safety. Next year is mercs year again, and unless they sign Russell and give Bottas the boot, lucky number 8 for Hamilton. 2022 is realistically our chance at bringing home a title.

Grazie Seb, Grazie Charles, Grazie Ferrari...
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post

That's all very well, tifoso, and I agree mostly, but the ICE was 'downgraded' (back to an earlier spec?) after whatever we did 'illegally' last season and then frozen, so it was always going to hurt us, Alfa and Haas. The rest of your list amount to excuses, and granted, some of them have been due to Covid and the associated restrictions in Italy, but Alpha Tauri managed OK. I sincerely hope that Ferrari don't produce another dud and Charles has certainly developed well but is still a little impetuous. I'm not over-excited about Sainz but think he will be an asset to the team. As for today's race and not pitting Charles under the SC, Ferrari wanted track position when others pitted but we didn't have the power to keep them behind on new tyres, so I guess it wouldn't have worked in our favour whatever we did. Both drivers gave their best in what they had, a donkey.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    I am happy that this season is finally over, however I fear that next year won’t be any different. We may close the gap and get back to battling for 2nd-3rd with our new engine. But let’s not forget this turbo era belongs to Mercedes. I can’t see any team toppling them next year. It was nice to see another team rather than Merc get a win today. However, that’s only because Bottas is useless, Hamilton is still battling Corona, and Merc tuned down the engines for safety. Next year is mercs year again, and unless they sign Russell and give Bottas the boot, lucky number 8 for Hamilton. 2022 is realistically our chance at bringing home a title.

Grazie Seb, Grazie Charles, Grazie Ferrari...
    Guess...we shall see next year. But I don't think believe that next year is going to be another struggle like this one. There were many curtailments upon Ferrari this season, some because of the rules and Ferrari's own doings. But the chassis was pretty good. During the race Ferrari was giving away times in sector 1 and 2, but were very competitive in the sector 3, especially Leclerc. We were the only team who have lost 4 tenths respectively in the sector 1 and 2 compared to last year, but gained 3-4 tenths in the final sector.

I don't see us struggling next year. Not saying we are going to win the championships because that will be foolish, but I do think we will be competitive.
    Last edited by tifosi1993; 13th December 2020 at 17:47.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    That's all very well, tifoso, and I agree mostly, but the ICE was 'downgraded' (back to an earlier spec?) after whatever we did 'illegally' last season and then frozen, so it was always going to hurt us, Alfa and Haas. The rest of your list amount to excuses, and granted, some of them have been due to Covid and the associated restrictions in Italy, but Alpha Tauri managed OK. I sincerely hope that Ferrari don't produce another dud and Charles has certainly developed well but is still a little impetuous. I'm not over-excited about Sainz but think he will be an asset to the team. As for today's race and not pitting Charles under the SC, Ferrari wanted track position when others pitted but we didn't have the power to keep them behind on new tyres, so I guess it wouldn't have worked in our favour whatever we did. Both drivers gave their best in what they had, a donkey.
    It was entirely a new design but hastily put together and never allowed to tough upon. Next year the picture will be completely different, a brand new and proper power unit plus a good chassis.

Charles is a once in a generation talent along with Max, and Sainz is quite solid. Our driver line up for next year is young and healthy.

A lot was against ferrari this year.Without doubt the sf 90 was put together slap happy.Ferrari new these were at best the results for the year, any thing above that was just brilliant.With all being considered with the constraints and limits ferrari did ok.Next year will be a far far better story 100%.

While Ferrari would be making progress, it needs to be seen how it compares with other teams. If our progress is similar to what other teams have made, then we would still be battling P5 onwards
    I hope Ferrari proves me wrong else it's a repeat of this season, though slightly better.
    Next year js Mercedification of F1 grid with their overall share in teams using engines would go to 40%, followed by Ferrari. Ferrari's goal should be to to close the gap as much as possible to merc next season so that by 2022 we are at par or better than them. I know it's wishful thinking... Hybrid engines tech is clearly dominated by Mercedes.
    Last edited by 20000rpm; 14th December 2020 at 03:46.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?!?!?!
    I was here for almost every race, but I said good bye after first race to any hope of doing anything this season!!!
    The context was "goodbye 2020 season", not goodbye hopes, dreams and fairytales of Ferrari doing something special. No, it was goodbye 2020 season. Context is important. Always.

(We also said goodbye hopes and dreams at the start of the season. Now we're saying goodbye to the actual season itself.)
    Last edited by ntukza; 14th December 2020 at 04:43.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

I think next year's car has to be and will be much better. The issue is the other teams around us are going to improve. McLaren have a mercedes engine, Renault have Alonso back, Cheating Point will be using s
    parts from this year's Merc..so it's still going to be tough.

Hopefully Hamilton and Wolff leave, that'll be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    The context was "goodbye 2020 season", not goodbye hopes, dreams and fairytales of Ferrari doing something special. No, it was goodbye 2020 season. Context is important. Always.

(We also said goodbye hopes and dreams at the start of the season. Now we're saying goodbye to the actual season itself.)
    Whatever... It was finished before even started.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Whatever... It was finished before even started.
    In a way you are 100% correct.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

20 more HP and 1 second better pit stops and 2021 will be a competitive year for Ferrari. Charels ; Sainz driving is as good as the other two teams fighting up front.
    Last edited by Brembo; 27th December 2020 at 05:16.