Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: SF21 Challenger Thread

Another Sprint race challenge coming up.

I'm glad they didn't introduced the new engine in Spa after all.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Well Binotto did say that the upgrade will be "significant" and I trust his words...he doesn't sugarcoats our problems. But the "15HP" number is not an official number....so let's wait and see.

And if it's indeed 15HP, then it's a significant number. Not only it's a free lap time gain but it will also allow us to run more wings which will help the tyre performance, provide more grip and overall will add more lap time.

The SF21 has a very strong front end, it will help us in Monza, especially in corners like Parabolica.

What's up with Leclerc's engine?

How come Gio is so much faster than us !! What's going on..

Quote Originally Posted by gump1480 View Post
    How come Gio is so much faster than us !! What's going on..
    He's got to try to convince Sauber-Alfa to keep him, it may be too little too late but I hope he stays. An Italian in an Alfa is better than a Chinese!

Any news about when the engine upgrade for the SF21 will be released?

I think turky ..

Ferrari: the evo engine with the hybrid that anticipates 2022!

With the debut of the power unit evo scheduled for the Turkish GP, Ferrari will have about ten more horsepower, but Enrico Gualtieri's staff will be able to verify the behavior of elements of the hybrid system that are anticipated from 2022. There are more performance, miniaturized and lighter parts. They have not been used in Monza because the test cycle at the deliberation bench has not yet been completed.

In addition to Shell's contribution that will bring new lubricants and gasoline to improve combustion chamber performance, there are high expectations for the debut of new hybrid system components, as Ferrari has started the 2021 season with some out-of-date parts and regulation. F1 this year allows for adjustments over the course of the championship.

The Scuderia will have solutions that will have to ensure a performance increase of about ten horsepower, but the advantages will also be measured in the miniaturization of some components that will also yield weight savings.

Sochi, therefore, cannot be reached in time because the resolution of the new power unit can only take place after five long runs on the test bench have been completed, totaling a safety distance of 7,500 km without which a particular cannot be put in place. machine in compliance with the homologation fees provided for reliability.

LINK: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...-2022/6667431/

Quote Originally Posted by Toothlessrage* View Post
    Ferrari: the evo engine with the hybrid that anticipates 2022!

With the debut of the power unit evo scheduled for the Turkish GP, Ferrari will have about ten more horsepower, but Enrico Gualtieri's staff will be able to verify the behavior of elements of the hybrid system that are anticipated from 2022. There are more performance, miniaturized and lighter parts. They have not been used in Monza because the test cycle at the deliberation bench has not yet been completed.

In addition to Shell's contribution that will bring new lubricants and gasoline to improve combustion chamber performance, there are high expectations for the debut of new hybrid system components, as Ferrari has started the 2021 season with some out-of-date parts and regulation. F1 this year allows for adjustments over the course of the championship.

The Scuderia will have solutions that will have to ensure a performance increase of about ten horsepower, but the advantages will also be measured in the miniaturization of some components that will also yield weight savings.

Sochi, therefore, cannot be reached in time because the resolution of the new power unit can only take place after five long runs on the test bench have been completed, totaling a safety distance of 7,500 km without which a particular cannot be put in place. machine in compliance with the homologation fees provided for reliability.

LINK: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...-2022/6667431/
    Not much in terms of information about the upgrade.

But, 10HP increase? Or, is it more?

Quote Originally Posted by Toothlessrage* View Post
    Not much in terms of information about the upgrade.

But, 10HP increase? Or, is it more?
    If it's a hybrid element change the hybrid us limited to 160bhp. Does this mean there will not be a top end power increase but it will be able to be used more and fill in the power band lower in the range which would give laptime equivalent to 10bhp?

first 20 bhp, then 15 bhp, now it's 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    first 20 bhp, then 15 bhp, now it's 10.
    Yes, the textbook definition of rumor. Ferrari said it will be "significant", so we just have to take their words and disregard speculations from the "desperate for clicks" media.

Michael Schmidt: "The new Ferrari PU will probably come at the Turkish GP. Massive rebuilds are needed. The whole electrical system will be converted from a 400 to 800 volt system. They are talking about 10-15 hp and that could be quite an advantage."

https://twitter.com/hashtag/AMuS?src=hashtag_click

Ferrari must have something special coming up for next year. Leclerc is set to extend his contract till 2026 so he must be feeling that Ferrari have a pretty decent chance with the new formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Ferrari must have something special coming up for next year. Leclerc is set to extend his contract till 2026 so he must be feeling that Ferrari have a pretty decent chance with the new formula.
    From day one Charles said he wants to stay with Ferrari and retire there . So far he is deserving of the seat. If the car gets something special I believe he will be the driver to get the car up front!!! I for one hope he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Yes, the textbook definition of rumor. Ferrari said it will be "significant", so we just have to take their words and disregard speculations from the "desperate for clicks" media.
    pardon my french, but 10hp is NOT significant....20 on the other hand.....now THAT would it been SIGNIFICANT......

at this rate, we will NEVER be a match for merc or honda engines in this hybrid PU era

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    He's got to try to convince Sauber-Alfa to keep him, it may be too little too late but I hope he stays. An Italian in an Alfa is better than a Chinese!
    If it's as simple as that (which I strongly doubt) then either:

- Gio is a better driver than Leclerc since he can outdrive an Alfa to be better than a Ferrari, in which case never mind keeping him at Alfa, we should get him,

or

- we don't know what we're doing.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Still, that long an extension is risky. But I'm sure he has performance clauses like every other top driver.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    pardon my french, but 10hp is NOT significant....20 on the other hand.....now THAT would it been SIGNIFICANT......

at this rate, we will NEVER be a match for merc or honda engines in this hybrid PU era
    Since you've already made up your mind, I don't think you have to worry about it.

Whether it's really significant or not, only time will tell. But I do have high hopes. 2017-2019 wasn't too far away and Turkey isn't too far ahead either.

Oh I know add the horsepower numbers together,20 + 15+ 10 = 45 hp now divide it by 3 that's the mean average and that's my guess so 15hp,after all it been guess work from ferrari to date with hp figures,either way our drivers deserve better so they fight the good fight.

Definitely. From 2025 and forwards we might compete as the current engine is gone, until 2025 Merc will still have a massive engine advantage. You saw what happened a few races ago when Red Bull looked to beat them. Their engine suddenly was tuned up and dominating again, Merc has lots in reserve with the engine.
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

I think we're focusing too much on the horsepower numbers while ignoring/excluding other aspects. The new hybrid system can also be lighter than the current one, which means the car will carry less weight.

According to rumors, Ferrari is trying to achieve 1000V on the hybrid system ala Mercedes. Which will make it lighter, more efficient and more powerful.

I looks looks more like Ferrari is ignoring the H P aspect more than anything else. Nowhere near enough. Better pit stops will also be a big help. Drive wise we look good. They need the car !!

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...grade-tuerkei/

Ferrari went to Monza with mixed feelings and went home with 20 points. Much better than expected. The only downer: World championship rival McLaren scored big. The big hope: the engine upgrade that is to come in Turkey.
    Michael Schmidt 20.09.2021
    Monza, of all places, was Ferrari's fear track. If you have a power deficit on the power track par excellence, you have to compromise on the set-up of the car. Ferrari trimmed its rear wing to a minimum stop so as not to be fair game on the straights. To keep the SF21 in balance, countermeasures had to be taken at the front axle. "That made driving quite difficult," reported Charles Leclerc.
    The narrow ridge on which the Ferrari drivers were moving could have been the reason for Carlos Sainz's crash in the second free practice session at the Ascari chicane. It was the third on a Saturday in the last four GP weekends. The Spaniard was still puzzling a day later: "I have no idea why I crashed there. The car was always neutral there before."
    Grid positions 6 and 7 were a surprise even for Ferrari. Especially after the poor experience at Spa. Possibly the chicanes suited Ferrari. The SF21 likes slow corners with short radii. That was already evident in Baku. Leclerc and Sainz lost the most time from Ascari to Parabolica. With a gap of nine tenths to pole position, Ferrari was only just above the season average of seven tenths.
    With 20 points, Ferrari got off lightly. Leclerc kept eye contact with the front runners throughout the race. He stayed within a five-second window of Sergio Perez, who had overtaken him by short-circuiting the second chicane but refused to relinquish the position. Sainz was also on course to finish ahead of the Mexican until five laps from the end. But then the newcomer to the team dropped off sharply and missed out on 5th place by 1.8 seconds in total.
    Team boss Mattia Binotto was pleased with the team's performance and the car's speed on a power track. "It shows that we can respond well to difficult conditions. The performance was positive, the result was not, because McLaren gained too many points on us." Sainz was torn: "It was nice to see my ex-team win again, but they are also our WRC opponent and they cleaned up big. Still, they're not miles away. We can still catch them."

Ferrari is counting on its engine upgrade to make the difference in the latter part of the World Championship. There is talk of a gain of 10 to 15 horsepower. It's now expected for the Turkish GP. Istanbul Park is a track where you can overtake. So the sacrifice may not be so great.
    The engine department had a lot to do at Monza. For a short time, it looked like Leclerc was facing another penalty. After engine number 3 caused trouble on Friday, engine number 1 was installed in the car with start number 16 at short notice. And it already has over 4,000 kilometers on the clock. An investigation showed that engine number 3 was fine. An electronic problem was to blame for the alarm. On Sunday, the engine was replaced again. The drive unit, which made its debut at Spa, still has a long life ahead of it with around 1,300 kilometers.

We still don't know the true numbers yet, but I'd say 10-15 extra HP is a very good number. People here haven't realized it yet the impact of improved MGU-K and MGU-H.

It means better energy harvesting, better weight management and better deployment, not just HP increase. The lap time gain will be significant, if it works as it should.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...grade-tuerkei/

Ferrari went to Monza with mixed feelings and went home with 20 points. Much better than expected. The only downer: World championship rival McLaren scored big. The big hope: the engine upgrade that is to come in Turkey.
    Michael Schmidt 20.09.2021
    Monza, of all places, was Ferrari's fear track. If you have a power deficit on the power track par excellence, you have to compromise on the set-up of the car. Ferrari trimmed its rear wing to a minimum stop so as not to be fair game on the straights. To keep the SF21 in balance, countermeasures had to be taken at the front axle. "That made driving quite difficult," reported Charles Leclerc.
    The narrow ridge on which the Ferrari drivers were moving could have been the reason for Carlos Sainz's crash in the second free practice session at the Ascari chicane. It was the third on a Saturday in the last four GP weekends. The Spaniard was still puzzling a day later: "I have no idea why I crashed there. The car was always neutral there before."
    Grid positions 6 and 7 were a surprise even for Ferrari. Especially after the poor experience at Spa. Possibly the chicanes suited Ferrari. The SF21 likes slow corners with short radii. That was already evident in Baku. Leclerc and Sainz lost the most time from Ascari to Parabolica. With a gap of nine tenths to pole position, Ferrari was only just above the season average of seven tenths.
    With 20 points, Ferrari got off lightly. Leclerc kept eye contact with the front runners throughout the race. He stayed within a five-second window of Sergio Perez, who had overtaken him by short-circuiting the second chicane but refused to relinquish the position. Sainz was also on course to finish ahead of the Mexican until five laps from the end. But then the newcomer to the team dropped off sharply and missed out on 5th place by 1.8 seconds in total.
    Team boss Mattia Binotto was pleased with the team's performance and the car's speed on a power track. "It shows that we can respond well to difficult conditions. The performance was positive, the result was not, because McLaren gained too many points on us." Sainz was torn: "It was nice to see my ex-team win again, but they are also our WRC opponent and they cleaned up big. Still, they're not miles away. We can still catch them."

Ferrari is counting on its engine upgrade to make the difference in the latter part of the World Championship. There is talk of a gain of 10 to 15 horsepower. It's now expected for the Turkish GP. Istanbul Park is a track where you can overtake. So the sacrifice may not be so great.
    The engine department had a lot to do at Monza. For a short time, it looked like Leclerc was facing another penalty. After engine number 3 caused trouble on Friday, engine number 1 was installed in the car with start number 16 at short notice. And it already has over 4,000 kilometers on the clock. An investigation showed that engine number 3 was fine. An electronic problem was to blame for the alarm. On Sunday, the engine was replaced again. The drive unit, which made its debut at Spa, still has a long life ahead of it with around 1,300 kilometers.

We still don't know the true numbers yet, but I'd say 10-15 extra HP is a very good number. People here haven't realized it yet the impact of improved MGU-K and MGU-H.

It means better energy harvesting, better weight management and better deployment, not just HP increase. The lap time gain will be significant, if it works as it should.
    Updated PU in Russia for Charles

Yup, great news. This new unit should save weight + deliver HP + provide better energy harvesting.

The new PU is being installed

So i know Chrles will be getting everything new power wise...hence starting from the back
    but the only upgraded parts are the mguk and ES?? if he's getting a new engine,will be teh same spec as the previous ones NO??

curious to see how easy he'll move up the grid with teh "significant" upgrade the power unit will get