Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: SF21 Challenger Thread

Binotto's " Reality " fortunately is not being followed by our two "Top" drivers. They both want WCC points and drive accordingly. Ferrari seems to be the only team with two #1 s. They cherish the practices and go to the quali thinking 2021 ! I believe every race that there's a good chance Ferrari will have a driver on the podium. A little more HP and faster pits and Ferrari may well surprise even Binotto from where he resides. I have nothing but respect for how Charles is moving forward towards the next race; putting Monaco in the past. He's still with 2021 !!!

It's for 2022 but we have no thread for that!!!
    Ferrari: Superfast engine chosen for ground-effect 672
    Mattia Binotto believes in the turning point of Ferrari and pursues innovation. The team principal wants a Red team back in the fight for the 2022 world championship and the change in the rules with the transition to ground-effect single-seaters can help to mix the values ​​consolidated in recent years, with Mercedes and Red Bull in front of the Scuderia.

If the technicians led by Enrico Cardile started from a blank sheet to design the 672, the design number of the 2022 car, the engineers headed by the other Enrico, Gualtieri, must give a sign of discontinuity, to close the power gap with the Stella and the Honda engine.

A decidedly different power unit from the current one will be mounted on the ground-effect Red with various innovative solutions: in the end the “Superfast” engine designed by Wolf Zimmermann, the German in charge of advanced projects, was promoted.

The gestation of this unit was rather troubled, because at least during the first bench tests it was not giving the results that the technicians were expecting with solutions perhaps too extreme to work immediately, without adequate development work that takes time. And for that, a parallel line of work was designed with an engine that is the child of the current one, with less extreme concepts. A final choice had been postponed to June. Now we have come to the moment of decisions.

In Maranello they cannot make a mistake in their choice: the engine that will be homologated at the first GP next year will remain valid for three years in a row and taking too long a leap forward could preclude the indispensable reliability to immediately aim for the world title.

And, then, the “Superfast” power unit was approved with some less extreme concepts that have been successfully translated from 065/6 which is proving to be better than forecasts. In fact, in the development work, without touching anything that is frozen, this year's engine showed hidden qualities that also allowed a small increase in power compared to the targets that had been sought.

But, as Laurent Mekies admitted, even the engineers of the Cavallino, like the frame builders, have abandoned the development of the V6 2021 to dedicate themselves exclusively to the nascent “Superfast”.

The new Ferrari engine adopts the architecture of the supercharging system that will see the separation of turbine and compressor, taking up the concept introduced by Mercedes and then adopted by Honda.

The… copying is aimed at introducing the compressor inside the intake box to give a very low and compact 6-cylinder in favor of more extreme aerodynamics. The name "Superfast" would be justified by a combustion chamber capable of an explosion phase with very fast ignition times.

Unpublished intake ducts capable of creating turbulent motions are being studied which will favor the speed of flame propagation, giving more homogeneity to the air-petrol mixture and to the bursting phase.

Therefore, Binotto must be recognized with a fair dose of courage in marrying a project that was born with many unknowns, but which over time is proving to have very interesting concepts: the next six months will be crucial to giving birth to that power unit. who will have to bring the Scuderia back to constantly fighting for victory. Because words will have to be matched by facts ...
    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...suolo/6525035/
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    It's for 2022 but we have no thread for that!!!

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...suolo/6525035/
    I'll ne cautious with term SUPERFAST. We all remember Rory floor, new pistons, and other SF things...

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I'll ne cautious with term SUPERFAST. We all remember Rory floor, new pistons, and other SF things...
    Its just a nickname for Zimmermanns design . if it will deliver we just have to wait !!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Well it’s a no brainer that we had to go the Merc way with the split turbo which was proven to be the winning design since 2014....apart from our own pushing the envelope limits in 2019 when arguably had THE BEST engine on the grid.....some may say at the expense of “cheating “....

And since Honda too adopted this design, clearly brought them almost on par with Merc....so we had to do something and come up with our own split turbo design even if it will only be for 3 more years....hopefully along with the new aero rules will bring us the LONG AWAITED WCC.....and wdc for one of our drivers in 2022

Low Downforce FW and RW for Baku

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Yeah we will be 4th this year. We probably will be better then McLaren in some races but in general they are half a step ahead of us !!!
    Me personally don't bother much about this.
    The million dollar question is what will happen next year???
    For me this is decisive year. If we won't manage to produce a winning car (at least like this years RB and I really mean at least) then it's almost game over for my hopes for this team. I mean I'll still gonna support our team but like from a distance and don't gonna bother about competitiveness, updates etc. I'll probably not gonna watch all races. We'll thats me!!!!
    I agree.
    People were crucifying me for saying so.
    4th is the most realistic outcome, because once Ricciardo becomes more consistent we'll have a tough battle.
    The McMerc's chassis isn't as versatile as ours, but our power-unit isn't as strong as the Merc's as well.
    Also, we need to watch out for the outcome of the flexi-wing protest.
    Given how we have come up short at each protest, I'm worried about that.

I hope we beat the McMerc's, but given our last season: the progress we've made under the much-scrutinized Binnoto-regime and the 2020 season is admirable.
    I see this year as a build-up for the upcoming seasons.
    Unless we screw up with the power-unit, chassis, or both.

Last race Ferrari quali was on pole and 2nd place on the podium. Another podium could well be on the way this Sunday ! Merc finally out of the 1st place. 2021 season is full of surprises.

There was a rumor circulating around that Ferrari will introduce new electrical components and software upgrade between Silverstone and Hungary. It was a pretty reliable source.

If Ferrari really want to introduce new powertrain parts, then they should do it in Silverstone. It's more power sensitive than Hungary. And any energy recovery improvement will definitely be a big help in Silverstone.

New as new design or simply new parts? Because the former is not possible. PUs are frozen

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    New as new design or simply new parts? Because the former is not possible. PUs are frozen
    Isn't it just the ICE that is frozen? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Everything is frozen except aerodynamics, as far as I know.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    No, You're right. Only the ICE is frozen/or can't be upgraded in-season, as well as the gearbox and gear ratio. But electrical components can be upgraded in-season, but just once.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    No, You're right. Only the ICE is frozen/or can't be upgraded in-season, as well as the gearbox and gear ratio. But electrical components can be upgraded in-season, but just once.
    Grazie tifosi, thought I was losing the plot, another season of an underperforming Scuderia is affecting my brain, although we all know why we are not on the top step.
    Last edited by wisepie; 15th July 2021 at 17:00.

Hmmm.
    That will be very interesting.

If Max's ICE is not OK for the next race; he will be on his 3rd and last change for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    If Max's ICE is not OK for the next race; he will be on his 3rd and last change for the season.
    Max "crashed" ICE was sent to Japan and parts were changed to it BUT not listed parts. Max will run the "crashed" ICE unit during FP1.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Max "crashed" ICE was sent to Japan and parts were changed to it BUT not listed parts. Max will run the "crashed" ICE unit during FP1.
    FP-1 will be when they decide . OK

So Leclerc needs a new engine because his 2nd PU is effectively destroyed thanks to that useless Stroll.

Oh well. SPA is next, which is a good track for overtaking. I'd say use the 3rd PU in FP1 and 2 and then bolt the 4th PU in FP3 and take grid penalty. That way he will have some breathing ground for the remaining 12 races.

Can't believe his rotten luck at the 1st half of this season, it needs to change quickly.

So Leclerc needs a new engine because his 2nd PU is effectively destroyed thanks to that useless Stroll.

Oh well. SPA is next, which is a good track for overtaking. I'd say use the 3rd PU in FP1 and 2 and then bolt the 4th PU in FP3 and take grid penalty. That way he will have some breathing ground for the remaining 12 races.

Can't believe his rotten luck at the 1st half of this season, it needs to change quickly.

...IF you have good engine power ....but it is NOT our case....our engine and straight line speed is among the weakest....sadly...:(

hopefully Ferrari is working flat out for 2022 engine and let's hope it gonna be on PAR or BETTER than Merc or Honda

I remember there was a rule saying something about the stack of components.
    Are you sure that you can introduce 2 engines in one event and just add them in your inventory? I think you cannot.

Charles says he is very happy with the big gains compared to last year @ Ferrari. It's great to hear our top driver talking positive about 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Charles says he is very happy with the big gains compared to last year @ Ferrari. It's great to hear our top driver talking positive about 2021.
    He also says that our fight is not with McLaren , but it's focused on 2022.
    He says that he does not give a damn if this year we win McLaren and it's not important, what is important is 2022.

People should listen.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fe...grade/6645099/
    Ferrari starts 2021 with many components from 2020 PU.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    He also says that our fight is not with McLaren , but it's focused on 2022.
    He says that he does not give a damn if this year we win McLaren and it's not important, what is important is 2022.

People should listen.
    What Charles believes is most important is 2023 when he needs a new contract. Sleeping through 2021 may cause him grief come contract time. Big gains since last year sounds hopeful for some more podiums. I have nothing but respect for Charles. He's for sure a top Ferrari driver. Even if he don't " Give a Damn! "

Quote Originally Posted by Noquarter View Post
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fe...grade/6645099/
    Ferrari starts 2021 with many components from 2020 PU.
    Now that's clever. Most of the components are of 2020, so they can bring new components this year. And it will be a "significant" step.

Binotto doesn't sugarcoat his words, if he says the upgrades are going to be significant, then it will be significant.

Now that's clever. Most of the components are of 2020, so they can bring new components this year. And it will be a "significant" step.

Binotto doesn't sugarcoat his words, if he says the upgrades are going to be significant, then it will be significant.
    This "significant" power upgrade will be introduced after Spa. Charles and Carlos will get the upgrade. It will be their 4th PU so grid penalties will follow. Mclaren drivers are on their 2nd PU currently.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

that is really fascinating....but i've heard rumors that the NEW components won't be introduced at either spa or Monza, which are 2 critical circuits for engine power....of course i dont' know how true those rumors are

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    This "significant" power upgrade will be introduced after Spa. Charles and Carlos will get the upgrade. It will be their 4th PU so grid penalties will follow. Mclaren drivers are on their 2nd PU currently.
    so not only are we gonna get penilized for having a 4th engine, we won't even use it where it counts teh most (spa and/or monza) where we need straight line speed to pass other cars or defend positions....