Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: SF21 Challenger Thread

Ferrari: this is what Leclerc's advanced hybrid is worth

The Cavallino team has unmarked the fourth engine for Charles who will be penalized, so he will start from the back of the Russian GP grid. The Scuderia introduces a new advanced hybrid system (not the MGU-K) which allows an increase in power that does not reach ten horsepower, but ensures greater efficiency of the electrical system which also translates into weight savings. Telemetry reveals that ...

Leclerc does not have all the new hybrid package because the MGU-K has remained the same as the PU3, although in the first communication of the FIA ​​the homologation of a complete unit was announced, then corrected without the electric motor that recharges the energy kinetics under braking.

Ferrari therefore unmarked a new battery together with the MGU-H and the ECU. The complete package was to be worth about ten horsepower (in Maranello they insist on a single-digit increase in power), but the 065/6 Evo at this point will perhaps be worth something less.

telemetria-fp1-gp-di-russia-le-1.jpg

Yet, analyzing the telemetry developed by Matteo Bobbi's team in the first free practice session in Russia, it emerged quite clearly that, net of the different aerodynamic configurations in which the two Ferrari drivers rode in the morning free practice, a better behavior of the engine can be seen in the graphs that we publish.

On the main straight we see that the maximum speed reached is the same, but the red curve of Leclerc has a greater hump, a sign that the hybrid is more efficient and works better in average power, with an electricity supply that avoids the clipping. It is the sign that the MGU-H is able to directly power the MGU-K with a greater range of energy making the 163 electric horses longer over the lap with a more diluted and efficient hybrid power fragmentation.

And then it turns out that Charles managed to overtake the Spaniard in every speed peak (except at turns 14 and 15), but with very low values, while at low speeds the Red of the Monegasque revealed greater traction when exiting the corners. , a sign that the advantages of the new hybrid are also measured in weight savings and miniaturization of the elements.

The Maranello driver commented positively: "I feel that the engine is a little better and this is very positive, also because the data confirms it. It is nice to hear it and also to see it".

Ferrari, which at Monza stated through the voice of its team principal, Mattia Binotto, that there was a gap of 20 horsepower compared to the Mercedes power unit, takes a small step forward in the hope of closing the gap next year, when it will be approved the engine that will have to be frozen in the next few years.

#AMuS Ferrari have successfully developed their new hybrid system, which was used by Charles in Sochi.

Binotto praises: "It gave us some lap time [improvement], was reliable and delivered what we expected from it."

https://t.co/b5xDTyXejd

#F1
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

"The difference between old and new PU is there"

A fresh power unit made its debut in the Ferrari number 16 of Leclerc with the first version and the technology of the 2022 hybrid. Also in terms of reliability, which was the most 'problematic' issue at the counters.

Overall, what confirmed the PU4 was the possibility of maintaining the energy for longer than the old one. In short, a question of efficiency.

According to the GPS data, the difference between the two Ferraris was on average almost 2 tenths only in the S2 , the stretch with continuous extensions and braking where it is important to download energy. Leclerc also showed certain ease of approach on opponents with greater aerodynamic efficiency. Consumption is now also 'breathing', in favor of a more thorough use of the heat engine.

The last sector in dirty air prevented the Monegasque in the first stint from passing a train of cars much slower than him and showing us his real pace for most of the race, which in free air could have been not far from Norris's. author of a crazy race.

In Maranello, the contribution given by the new unit will be analyzed but it is quite clear that, as Binotto clearly said, it will also be mounted "as soon as possible" on Sainz's Ferrari, that is, in all probability, in less than two weeks in Turkey.

Excerpt from the article: https://www.formu1a.uno/power-unit-f...laffidabilita/

Charles just missing a head on with Gio's car when Gio spun out was about as great a move as you can get. He saved his car and both drivers from injury. Imagine if he wrecked his new ride!!!

I hope Ferrari will unlock the full power in Turkey. Charles is due some good luck, and it will start from Turkey.

I'm expecting him to challenge for the podium, at least.

Carlos should be easily finishing inside the Top 6, it he takes the new PU.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    I hope Ferrari will unlock the full power in Turkey. Charles is due some good luck, and it will start from Turkey.

I'm expecting him to challenge for the podium, at least.

Carlos should be easily finishing inside the Top 6, it he takes the new PU.
    I like your enthusiasm and I agree. It was a good race for Ferrari last year too!

FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

I'm getting excited for the end of the season and 2022 with all this positivity! :D

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    YES!

Now we just have to wait and see whether the development gives us the results we desire!

So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

It looks like we will pump it up a bit more!!!
    As anticipated by FUnoAnalisiTecnica yesterday morning ( read the full report here ), both SF21s will be equipped with the latest power unit specification produced by the Modenese team and Carlos Sainz himself will be able to take advantage of the extra power made available by the update. Surplus available from the hybrid system which will undergo a further small increase during this weekend , resolved following the good feedback on reliability
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

I don't think we have to worry about Mclaren any more. This new upgrade is a huge step forward. We were very close to Max and there and thereabout with him at the last 2 races.

Qatar and Saudi are two big unknowns, but the remaining tracks should suit our car well. And even more performance to come from the PU, eventually Ferrari will unlock the full power.

The only things that needed to change are Leclerc's current run of bad lucks, bad strategy calls and slow pit stops. Luck can turn around any time, but the other two, I don't think there will be improvements this year.
    Last edited by tifosi1993; 10th October 2021 at 16:24.

I don't think we have to worry about Mclaren any more. This new upgrade is a huge step forward. We were very close to Max and there and thereabout with him at the last 2 races.

Qatar and Saudi is a big unknown, but the remaining tracks should suit our car well. And even more performance to come from the PU, eventually Ferrari will unlock the full power.

The only things that needed to change are Leclerc's current run of bad lucks, bad strategy calls and slow pit stops. Luck can turn around any time, but the other two, I don't think there will be improvements this year.
    +1, especially with regard to strategy and luck, what does Charles have to do to hold on to a possible podium?

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    +1, especially with regard to strategy and luck, what does Charles have to do to hold on to a possible podium?
    His luck needs to change. I don't think his current points haul really reflect how well he's been driving this year. Imola, Monaco, Silverstone, Austria, Hungary, Monza, Russia, Turkey....just way too many bad lucks and some unnecessary gambles.

Of course he's current run of bad lucks will end. But the question is, when?

His luck needs to change. I don't think his current points haul really reflect how well he's been driving this year. Imola, Monaco, Silverstone, Austria, Hungary, Monza, Russia, Turkey....just way too many bad lucks and some unnecessary gambles.

Of course he's current run of bad lucks will end. But the question is, when?
    he's getting all teh bad luck out of the way NOW.....and full of good luck come 2022, when ferrari will give him a ROCKET

Charles' current points haul doesn't reflect his achievements this year when his DNS/DNFs are taken into account and where he's lost points in the past two races with strategy calls which weren't the right ones. I guess he's partly to blame for that but we'll forgive him most things when he gets his just rewards!

Post-TurkeyGP2021

AMuS

Binotto: "I'll say it quite clearly. Third place in the championship is our goal. It teaches the team to work under the pressure of a clearly defined goal."

This is important for Ferrari, if they want to fight for wins in 2022 again.

Ferrari does not talk much about their new hybrid system. Only this:

Binotto: "Our most important goal in introducing it this year was to gain experience for next year. But it also brings advantages that we can't quantify in terms of lap time. It helps us in the battles."

Binotto: "With our old hybrid system, we probably would have ended up two places further back."

We can only speculate on what the advantages of the new Ferrari hybrid system are. More electric power in the acceleration phase. The Ferrari goes into charging mode later on the straights. Carlos and Charles were among the fastest cars on the straights in Istanbul.

https://www-auto--motor--und--sport-..._tr_pto=nui,sc

Mattia Binotto will miss both the #MexicoGP & #BrazilGP this year.

Binotto: "I will also miss the Mexico and Brazil GP, because we are in a crucial phase of the 2022 project."

https://www-corriere-it.translate.go..._tr_pto=nui,sc
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Binotto: "We have a competitive hybrid, we are targeting Mexico"

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...685031/?nrt=54

Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Binotto: "We have a competitive hybrid, we are targeting Mexico"

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...685031/?nrt=54
    Compared to what?

Compared to Merc who currently are owning Honda completely on engine performance, I assume we have nothing. Hamilton was running around looking like he had DRS all race long.
    Last edited by Lesky; 12th October 2021 at 18:34.
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
    Compared to what?

Compared to Merc who currently are owning Honda completely on engine performance, I assume we have nothing. Hamilton was running around looking like he had DRS all race long.
    He's talking about the electrical system only ,not the whole pu .At he is right from what we saw last Sunday. Lec was the fastest in the back straight with very efficient hybrid system ! it was returning to recharge phase a lot later !!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

He's talking about the electrical system only ,not the whole pu .At he is right from what we saw last Sunday. Lec was the fastest in the back straight with very efficient hybrid system ! it was returning to recharge phase a lot later !!!
    If you are talking about his 333 kph speed in qualifying, its because he received a huge, planned tow from Sainz.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    If you are talking about his 333 kph speed in qualifying, its because he received a huge, planned tow from Sainz.
    No,I was talking about the race!!
    #F1 Let's look at the #TurkishGP data: sector max. speeds & speed trap:
    - #Ferrari fastest on back straight: #Leclerc 311.3kph
    - then P2 - P5 #Mercedes-powered cars (#Latifi received new engine in Russia), #Hamilton 0.6kph off
    - #RedBull slowest in the straight-line
    Attachment 7847
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Attachment 7847
    Thanks. I would have expected Lewis to be the highest given how fast he went around Gasly. Pierre must maxed out around 290 during that lap

Attachment 7847
    According to this video, Lewis touched 323 kph in the draft behind Perez. That's a huge difference compared to the 310 in that link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU8rjwUZ-gk

he may also have been faster due to the set up of his car....think he had less rear wing as they thought that the race could have been in the dry....guess he gambled and in the end didnt pay off as it was WET

Let's ignore wet-dry setup bit and focus on the facts. And the fact is, Charles even with lower downforce setup kept up with both Bottas and Max throughout the race and was only 1.5 seconds behind of Max before Max's pitstop. Sainz also had no problem overtaking other's on the back straight.

Same thing in Russia, Charles kept up with Max and would've overtaken him, had it not been raining.

So after the new energy component upgrade, Ferrari pretty much kept up with both Merc and Red Bull in both qualifying and race pace. And the upcoming tracks are more favorable to us.

Let's ignore wet-dry setup bit and focus on the facts. And the fact is, Charles even with lower downforce setup kept up with both Bottas and Max throughout the race and was only 1.5 seconds behind of Max before Max's pitstop. Sainz also had no problem overtaking other's on the back straight.

Same thing in Russia, Charles kept up with Max and would've overtaken him, had it not been raining.

So after the new energy component upgrade, Ferrari pretty much kept up with both Merc and Red Bull in both qualifying and race pace. And the upcoming tracks are more favorable to us.
    While I agree we should be happy with the positives, I don't think they are as clear cut as being "facts".

All the drivers were managing the tires, so they were all driving to a given speed that virtually everyone was capable of doing. In the post race Max stated how the management was a bore and his most difficult task was staying awake. Of course this is a joke, but the point is he and pretty much everyone were managing pace. So Leclerc matching Bottas doesn't necessarily mean the car was as fast.

Sainz passing most came under braking. His PU was enough to at least get the car in range of the leading car, and then outbraked them into the corner. Hamilton on the other had had the pass done and a good 1 car length ahead by the time they hit the brakes.

There's alot of characteristics at play but we've made a step forward compared to our competition this year which was McLaren. It's unfortunate that our competition isn't Mercs or Red Bull but that's the way it is for this season. We will be able to judge much better after the next 2 races imo

Guys why are you comparing our pu with Mercs (or even Honda) .NOBODY said that now we are equal to them!!!! Our hybrid system is competitive and it gave us some characteristics that is helping us on track like good acceleration and better keeping the electrical energy deep into the straights before recharging phase!!!!!!
    On the ice part ,we are still behind so on total yes Merc is quite ahead but now we can fight a bit better and longer with them and not get passed straight away!!!!
    Last edited by PURE PASSION; 13th October 2021 at 07:43.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!