Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 556

Thread: 2021 F1 news/rumours

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,796
    I don't think all cars can be started by the driver. Ferrari's can I'm pretty sure. They shut their engines down when they're waited to exit pitlane for qualy sometimes

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,112
    Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    F1 keeps talking rubbish about road relevance, how is this road relevant when you cant switch an engine on without a team of highly specialised mechanics. Should be able to fire an F1 car up with a key ignition. New rule should be driver starts the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    Drivers DO start the engine when they are on the grid.
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Exactly, or when a driver has an excursion off track and the engine shits off.....they use the mug-k to start the beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I don't think all cars can be started by the driver. Ferrari's can I'm pretty sure. They shut their engines down when they're waited to exit pitlane for qualy sometimes
    F1 engines, when cold, are "seized" due to the tolerances being so tight. Hence as to why an F1 engine takes 45min to an hour to warm up because antifreeze and oil are heated first in a seperate unit from the car, then it is circulated throughout the car at optimal temperature to "un-seize" the components. Once the engine reaches optimal temperature, it is then started.

    It's not like the old days when an F1 engine started at the turn of a key.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    England
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    F1 engines, when cold, are "seized" due to the tolerances being so tight. Hence as to why an F1 engine takes 45min to an hour to warm up because antifreeze and oil are heated first in a seperate unit from the car, then it is circulated throughout the car at optimal temperature to "un-seize" the components. Once the engine reaches optimal temperature, it is then started.

    It's not like the old days when an F1 engine started at the turn of a key.
    I know this but point stands, not road relevant. Point I am trying to make is F1 cars are in no way road relevant so hopefully future rules are written around making the most exciting F1 cars and to hell with non existent road relevance.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,112
    Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    I know this but point stands, not road relevant. Point I am trying to make is F1 cars are in no way road relevant so hopefully future rules are written around making the most exciting F1 cars and to hell with non existent road relevance.
    Agreed.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    419
    Somehow the car manufactures has to find an excuse about the huge costs involved.
    Not all investors are happy with the "marketing", or the technology etc.
    So, road relevance is just an invention to sweeten the pill for them and make the Board's decision to participate easier.
    We all know it'd bs, but average Joe doesn't.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    norCal
    Posts
    9,387
    Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    I know this but point stands, not road relevant. Point I am trying to make is F1 cars are in no way road relevant so hopefully future rules are written around making the most exciting F1 cars and to hell with non existent road relevance.
    Agree completely. Hey, some of the research is road relevant, but it shouldn’t all have to be .

    -Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

    Totus Tuus


  7. #217
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    OK accomplished makes best; driver wise. We have many new drivers doing great and coming up. Sainz and Charles combo looks to be the ones to watch. Max , Perez, Dan in the fight for up front. Russell seems to be the only driver who just can't get out of the zeros. Blame it on his car just like fans blame the car on Lewis. Ferrari accomplished more HP and less down force for 2021. The best may well be on the way!
    Thank you.

    Now for my answer.

    First I will say that it's hard to say. One of the major indicators is teammate wars, first in qualifying and then in the race. In his rookie year, LH had a marginally better qualifying record than his 2 times world champion teammate Alonso, and then an overwhelmingly better qualifying record than Button over their 3 years together. That tells me he is an immense talent; at least, he was back then. He was also inexperienced and made many errors in race trim, similar to what we've seen with Leclerc although LH was worse. Recently however, LH has been beating his teammates by slim margins. Looking at Russell's narrow miss of pole and then leading Bottas for most of the race tells me that LH might not be the best at the moment. The gap to his teammate is not that big compared to say Max and Leclerc. My final opinion. LH is exceptional but I won't say he's the best. For lack of better evidence I would put LH and Max at the front. I'd say Leclerc is third - he's more talented than both of them but not yet at their level. Max is faster than LH but LH is more skillful than Max. That's my opinion.
    Last edited by ntukza; 3rd February 2021 at 17:53.
    Black Lives Matter
    We Race as One
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

  8. #218
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,375
    Very well said. 11 wins vs. 2 wins and 124 points more I have to say doesn't merit calling it a slim margin between Lewis and Bottas at the end of the recent season. I will put Max even with Lewis in the same car except as you well said if there's a tight confrontation Lewis is more skillful . Time in F-1 without a doubt has Charles as good a driver and for sure is in the top 3. I realize I seem to be alone in my opinion of Russell. Every member has said all along for years now that it's the Merc car not the driver that has them winning and any F-1 driver in that car will be a winner. Until Russell gets at least 1 point in his Merc powered Williams and can get them out of dead last place , only then will I rate his driving as good or bad. I do wish him the best in the future.

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Very well said. 11 wins vs. 2 wins and 124 points more I have to say doesn't merit calling it a slim margin between Lewis and Bottas at the end of the recent season. I will put Max even with Lewis in the same car except as you well said if there's a tight confrontation Lewis is more skillful . Time in F-1 without a doubt has Charles as good a driver and for sure is in the top 3. I realize I seem to be alone in my opinion of Russell. Every member has said all along for years now that it's the Merc car not the driver that has them winning and any F-1 driver in that car will be a winner. Until Russell gets at least 1 point in his Merc powered Williams and can get them out of dead last place , only then will I rate his driving as good or bad. I do wish him the best in the future.


    Why wait to rate Russel when he's driving the worst car. When has Hamilton ever scored a point with the worst car on the grid? Rate Russel for what he did in equal machinery, but without equal equipment seeing as he was handicapped a little by the rush to get fitted for the car. Russel may not have the success of Hamilton, but his race showed us a few things.... 1. The Merc is the kingmaker 2. Bottas, unfortunately, is not a top tier driver.
    Would any other driver have won 6 WDC in the Merc, not sure and can't be proven one way or another so Hamilton deserves credit for his wins because he won and his team mates didn't except once. But Russel did prove that the car makes all the difference... like you love to point out, Russel is a last place driver in the Williams, but he was first place for most of the race in a Merc even with an extra pitstop.
    Oh... and yes Perez's drive from 18th to 1st was impressive, but he only had 1 pitstop.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,375
    I agree, Merc is the kingmaker, even Russell is now being recognized as a good driver due to his race in "The Car! " He needs but to make a point in his Williams to show it's him not that car that has him coming up. He has a way to go before he's in with Charles, Max , Lewis and Sainz. I'm glad to see someone other than me acknowledge Perez had a big win race win! He even as you said managed to keep his car to just one pit stop. No punctures etc. He had to slip passed the whole field without a mistake, not just a fast car , his driving did it. I'm glad you also are aware. Give the likes of Russell, Mick , and the rest of the new comers to F-1 some time. Lewis ,Max were not overnight greats.

  11. #221
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,112
    Insider: Mercedes and Hamilton reach agreement


    News is making the rounds on the insider scene that Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes have reached an agreement on a new contract

    Finally, they seem to be driving onto the finish straight … According to information from F1-Insider.com, Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton (37) have come to an agreement after a long wrangling. World champion Hamilton, so far without a contract in 2021, is to sign a one-year contract with an option for a second season. The salary is to remain the same (an estimated 40 million euros per year). Mercedes, however, is making a step towards Hamilton on the financial side: According to our information he can market two advertising spaces on his helmet and overall himself.

    Verstappen-clause in Hamilton’s contract?
    There is also talk of a clause stating that the Briton will have a say when it comes to future teammates. In the scene, people are already openly talking about a “Verstappen clause”. The reason: It’s an open secret that Dutch Red Bull driver Max Verstappen (23) is on Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff’s future wish list. The clause is a compliment for Verstappen, because it shows Hamilton’s respect for him.

    One thing is certain: Formula 1 protagonists will breathe a sigh of relief when the deal is announced in the next few weeks. Former team boss Eddie Jordan (72) tells F1-Insider.com: “Lewis is the superstar of the scene. Formula 1 absolutely needs him.”

    Jordan also thinks it’s right for Mercedes to make concessions: “Asking for ten percent of the team’s revenue is absurd, you can’t do that because everyone is replaceable. But for Lewis, for example, to get a share of the TV money, I think that’s perfectly justifiable. He sells Formula 1 by far the most worldwide. I also think it’s good that he has the right to market himself. For example, he lured a top sponsor like Tommy Hilfiger to Mercedes. For that, any ordinary agent would have gotten ten percent.”

    Hamilton is a great personality in the sport
    The news will also come as a relief to rights holder Liberty. Sports boss Ross Brawn made it clear just a few days ago: “We want Lewis to continue. He is a great personality in the sport. He got people thinking – especially last year – about a number of issues that are very important. That has been invaluable.”

    Brawn continued: “Lewis is an influential character, he’s good for our sport and probably one of the few mega-stars we have in Formula One today.”

    The new deal with Mercedes also makes sense to the former Ferrari technical boss and Mercedes team boss. Brawn, who was instrumental in getting the now seven-time world champion to move from McLaren to Mercedes for 2013: “He wants to become the sole record world champion, and I think he has the best chance for that at Mercedes.”

    Mercedes is not commenting on speculations.

    https://f1-insider.com/en/formula1/n...ntract-agreed/
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Very well said. 11 wins vs. 2 wins and 124 points more I have to say doesn't merit calling it a slim margin between Lewis and Bottas at the end of the recent season. I will put Max even with Lewis in the same car except as you well said if there's a tight confrontation Lewis is more skillful . Time in F-1 without a doubt has Charles as good a driver and for sure is in the top 3. I realize I seem to be alone in my opinion of Russell. Every member has said all along for years now that it's the Merc car not the driver that has them winning and any F-1 driver in that car will be a winner. Until Russell gets at least 1 point in his Merc powered Williams and can get them out of dead last place , only then will I rate his driving as good or bad. I do wish him the best in the future.
    If you're always half a tenth faster than your teammate, you'll beat them almost every time, but you're only a fraction faster.
    If you're always six tenths faster than your teammate, you'll still beat them almost every time, but that's one hell of a margin.

    Once you mix up your tyres and then get a puncture, it no longer matters what car you're driving. I'm genuinely shocked at how you're failing to grasp that.
    Black Lives Matter
    We Race as One
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

  13. #223
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,625
    Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    If you're always half a tenth faster than your teammate, you'll beat them almost every time, but you're only a fraction faster.
    If you're always six tenths faster than your teammate, you'll still beat them almost every time, but that's one hell of a margin.

    Once you mix up your tyres and then get a puncture, it no longer matters what car you're driving. I'm genuinely shocked at how you're failing to grasp that.
    I totally agree with your comments, but some people are having a hard time realizing that I guess
    So the SF1000 proved to be a DUD....let's hope the SF21 will be much better then its predecessor.

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    England
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    Somehow the car manufactures has to find an excuse about the huge costs involved.
    Not all investors are happy with the "marketing", or the technology etc.
    So, road relevance is just an invention to sweeten the pill for them and make the Board's decision to participate easier.
    We all know it'd bs, but average Joe doesn't.
    That's why I would like to see manufacturers gone. Many independent race car builders could build a V12 if materials arexrestricted, no vvt, tight rules. Some say never go back to V12 but that's what fans love why deny the fans? Environment? Doesn't matter they can run off bio fuels as planned (vegan environMENTALISTS poo fueling V12's what a great compromise)

  15. #225
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,625
    Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    That's why I would like to see manufacturers gone. Many independent race car builders could build a V12 if materials arexrestricted, no vvt, tight rules. Some say never go back to V12 but that's what fans love why deny the fans? Environment? Doesn't matter they can run off bio fuels as planned (vegan environMENTALISTS poo fueling V12's what a great compromise)
    I’d even like the idea of normally aspirated V10 with Kers....that’s all we FANS need....we’ll hear the glorious sound again plus a bonus energy recovery system.....
    So the SF1000 proved to be a DUD....let's hope the SF21 will be much better then its predecessor.

  16. #226
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,375
    Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    If you're always half a tenth faster than your teammate, you'll beat them almost every time, but you're only a fraction faster.
    If you're always six tenths faster than your teammate, you'll still beat them almost every time, but that's one hell of a margin.

    Once you mix up your tyres and then get a puncture, it no longer matters what car you're driving. I'm genuinely shocked at how you're failing to grasp that.
    What I grasp is that Russell could have won the race but for the pit errors and the puncture . That would hold true for any other F-1 driver who could have been in that car.They too would likely have won. Now take away those pits & Puncture and say Russell won, what would that have to do with his driving as far as in his Williams? Still all zeros. Again I will say it. Let him get a point or more with his team .That's what counts not how that race could of, should of finished. As far as beating your team mate; a fraction of a second or minute faster when you cross the flag 1st you won. 95 wins by Lewis are real no mater how close to his team mate or any other driver he finishes. Some fans here say a win from pole is not the same as from 2nd. Not as good!!

  17. #227
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    England
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    I’d even like the idea of normally aspirated V10 with Kers....that’s all we FANS need....we’ll hear the glorious sound again plus a bonus energy recovery system.....
    I'd take v10's, prefer 12's at a push I'd take V8's. Cross plane crank V8's would be better for sound but maybe not in keeping with F1. This by electric rubbish we have now does not capture the imagination of kids and they are the fans, designers, drivers of the future. Who cares about the thermal efficiency of the rubbish they use now? Maybe 0.5% of fans who like staring at graphs. F1 should he an escapism from all the incoming milk floats we are going to have forced upon us.

  18. #228
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,375
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    I’d even like the idea of normally aspirated V10 with Kers....that’s all we FANS need....we’ll hear the glorious sound again plus a bonus energy recovery system.....
    A fast loud street car back in the 60s was described as having: 3 2s, 4 on the floor, 3/4 cam and dual glass packs.

  19. #229
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    England
    Posts
    238
    [QUOTE=Brembo;1039316]A fast loud street car back in the 60s was described as having: 3 2s, 4 on the floor, 3/4 cam and dual glass packs.[/QUOTE

    So we all want aspirated engines back with at least 10 cylinders. Hell horse racing is huge and know body rides horses anymore to commute. Bring back the ENGINES.

  20. #230
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,987
    As much as it pains me to bring him back up, I must. @ Brembo...your boy is such a goat yet he wants to make sure he has say in who is teammate is! He is so afraid of a real challenge!! Bottas has been a good butler and will continue to be so for him. Russell embarrassed Hamilton and now he’s afraid of a real racer to go against him in that rocket ship. He wants to be sure Mercedes doesn’t give him a real challenge. If your boy was the real goat, he wouldn’t be afraid of competition, he would want to prove his skill. He is a joke and a fraud.

    https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...tappen-clause/
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

  21. #231
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,375
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    As much as it pains me to bring him back up, I must. @ Brembo...your boy is such a goat yet he wants to make sure he has say in who is teammate is! He is so afraid of a real challenge!! Bottas has been a good butler and will continue to be so for him. Russell embarrassed Hamilton and now he’s afraid of a real racer to go against him in that rocket ship. He wants to be sure Mercedes doesn’t give him a real challenge. If your boy was the real goat, he wouldn’t be afraid of competition, he would want to prove his skill. He is a joke and a fraud.

    https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...tappen-clause/
    No one in F-1 denies Bottas is racing to win, not Rubenized. Wolf swears by it. Russell embarrassed Sir Lewis and the Merc team; bringing his rocket in 9th behind Bottas no less. I guess that's why Russell has all the zeros back at Williams with a Merc engine. Give him a couple of seasons and then judge him. At least a point or 2 in his name for sure. Sir Lewis is one of Michael's biggest admirers Now that he broke all the pole; win records and is tied @7 WDCs, he wants to still do a Michael and follow in Michael's his footsteps contract wise. Michael had team orders guaranteed, he was #1 with veto power as far as who got hired fired included in his contracts. Remember Austria 2002 ! Todt told Rubens on the radio he will loose his seat if he doesn't move over and " Let Michael Pass!!" Just look at the 3 years Michael drove with Merc, without that contract, Nico wrecked him . Sir Lewis might just fear for his life along side Crashstappen! Not losing a race to him. 100 +poles 100+wins and @ 8 WDCs on the way . There is no competition in the near future. Sir Lewis' records will be there for a long time. As it stands Sir Lewis already proved his skills over every driver that ever drove in F-1. And he's got a way to go if he wants to do another Michael record and drive till he's 44. Calling Michael a joke and a fraud because he had those contracts where a few great drivers at the time wouldn't sign up @ Ferrari and be a #2 to him is a bit harsh. He might have still won a few races even if he was without the let him pass contracts. As you put it , my boy is the GOAT. That's before any talk about Crashstappen as a team mate. Putting all that aside, I wanted to at least show you the respect you deserve for your post, I believe Ferrari with Charles and Sainz have a real shot at top 3 finishes this season. And Max has a 3 yr. contract with R Bull. So all the Merc talk is just to pass the time until March racing starts. R Bull for sure won"t let him go.

  22. #232
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    England
    Posts
    238
    Stars when they burn out turn into things like red dwarfs etc. Hamilton is a star. He is coming to an end and burning out. Seeing how Russel had to struggle with the seat and pedal settings due to Hamiltons dwarfism it can be said when Hamiltons star ends he becomes a BLACK DWARF.

  23. #233
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    England
    Posts
    238

  24. #234
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,796
    So just something a little different than Ham vs Max vs Msc. F1 is still discussing sprint races for Saturdays. Thoughts? Good or bad? WWBS?

  25. #235
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    What I grasp is that Russell could have won the race but for the pit errors and the puncture . That would hold true for any other F-1 driver who could have been in that car.They too would likely have won. Now take away those pits & Puncture and say Russell won, what would that have to do with his driving as far as in his Williams? Still all zeros. Again I will say it. Let him get a point or more with his team .That's what counts not how that race could of, should of finished. As far as beating your team mate; a fraction of a second or minute faster when you cross the flag 1st you won. 95 wins by Lewis are real no mater how close to his team mate or any other driver he finishes. Some fans here say a win from pole is not the same as from 2nd. Not as good!!
    I don't care about Russell at Williams. What we know is that Russell at Merc is just as good as LH at Merc, and you yourself have admitted this. So it begs the question, how can you consider LH to be the best driver (ie better than all the other drivers) when his driving is no better than everyone else, and his accolades are due to his car rather than his talent?
    Black Lives Matter
    We Race as One
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

  26. #236
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    4,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    So just something a little different than Ham vs Max vs Msc. F1 is still discussing sprint races for Saturdays. Thoughts? Good or bad? WWBS?
    I'm not in favour of these sprint races, it's enough to have FP3 and quali on Saturdays for the drivers and pit crew. If some GPs are going to be run over just two days, even more so. Too much for all concerned, really, especially with 23 races on the calendar.

  27. #237
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    419
    Honestly, the discussion about LH is simply boring.
    Can you please stop it?

  28. #238
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,375
    Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I'm not in favour of these sprint races, it's enough to have FP3 and quali on Saturdays for the drivers and pit crew. If some GPs are going to be run over just two days, even more so. Too much for all concerned, really, especially with 23 races on the calendar.
    Very well said. For me 23 races will be just fine if that can happen. I do know that Charles and other drivers really believe 3 practices really important.

  29. #239
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,112
    Audi in F1???

    RedBull and Audi joining forces??

    More to come in the next 3 to 4 years.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  30. #240
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    towradgi beach
    Posts
    1,464
    No more Hamilton's yap.The only colour is red let the Hamilton do what he wants.When he is being beaten there will be no where to hide.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •