Thread: 2021 F1 news/rumours

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team today confirmed that George Russell will become team-mate to reigning seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton, beginning from the 2022 Formula One season as the sport enters a new era of technical regulations.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team today confirmed that George Russell will become team-mate to reigning seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton, beginning from the 2022 Formula One season as the sport enters a new era of technical regulations.
    And with that new era of technical regs, let's hope there will be more a challenge for wins and podiums from a team other than Red Bull, could we dare think it may be Ferrari?

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    As far as a challenge goes it depends on if Lewis has a veto power #1 drivers contract going into his next years with Merc. That would mean Russell will agree to be Rubenized along side his team mate. I'm still not understanding $$ why Merc would let Bottas go after all their success with him along side Lewis.
    No, it depends on who's better than the other. If Russell keeps outqualifying Lewis and being told race after race to "let Lewis by", Merc will start looking stupid pretty quickly.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

No veto no favouritism for Hamilton its about the baptism of a potential new leader at mercedes, one thing is for certain there will be no sequel to the butler series.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    No veto no favouritism for Hamilton its about the baptism of a potential new leader at mercedes, one thing is for certain there will be no sequel to the butler series.
    we'll see mate.....i'm sure merc will fiddle/tamper with Russel's car to make sure he won't beat 2 chains in quali or race.....

Brembo will completely melt down if Russell beats the manbaby-'goat'

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    we'll see mate.....i'm sure merc will fiddle/tamper with Russel's car to make sure he won't beat 2 chains in quali or race.....
    This. There is no way they will hurt Hams feelings, ego or prove that his titles are a sham. Hence the faulty tire change when Russel drove for Merc last time around….

Russell’s promotion is long term, he is taking Hamilton’s seat, not Bottas IMO.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

[QUOTE=ntukza;1047506]No, it depends on who's better than the other. If Russell keeps outqualifying Lewis

If Russell can also out race his new team mate om Sunday, not just Q@ , Q3 Saturdays all the best to him. If Lewis gets one more win and reaches 8, I believe he will do a Kimi and just stay with F-1 as a fun filled past time with pay.

[QUOTE=Brembo;1047516]
    Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    No, it depends on who's better than the other. If Russell keeps outqualifying Lewis

If Russell can also out race his new team mate om Sunday, not just Q@ , Q3 Saturdays all the best to him. If Lewis gets one more win and reaches 8, I believe he will do a Kimi and just stay with F-1 as a fun filled past time with pay.
    GOD i sure hope so that 2 Chains will NEVER get his 8th title.....7 is enough....not like he had to work really hard for them.....the only challenge out of those 7 titles was in 2014-2016 when rosberg was there.....cause we all know what happened when the butler was there....
    Last edited by Rob; 8th September 2021 at 08:10.

[QUOTE=FerrariF60;1047517]

GOD i sure hope so that 2 Chains will NEVER get his 8th title.....7 is enough....not like he had to work really hard for them.....the only challenge out of those 7 titles was in 2014-2016 when rosberg was there.....cause we all know what happened when the butler was there....
    Exactly
    Last edited by Rob; 8th September 2021 at 08:11.

As far as a challenge goes it depends on if Lewis has a veto power #1 drivers contract going into his next years with Merc. That would mean Russell will agree to be Rubenized along side his team mate. I'm still not understanding $$ why Merc would let Bottas go after all their success with him along side Lewis.
    George coming in Mercedes is not a wish of Toto Wolff and surely not a wish of Lewis Hamilton.
    It is coming from Daimler, and it's a move pointing to the future.
    Lewis will be gone when his contract expires, so George is the guy to take over.

So , here's the thing. Lewis may have a chance to get this elusive 8th. Maybe FiA and F1 help Mercedes to that end.
    But if he does not get it? He will stick to that 7th cause come 2022 at Merc we'll relive an era where there'll not be a clear #1.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    And with that new era of technical regs, let's hope there will be more a challenge for wins and podiums from a team other than Red Bull, could we dare think it may be Ferrari?
    I don't see why not?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Alex Albon to return to F1 with Williams in 2022

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id...-williams-2022

Should we be upset about DeVries in Alfa? Merc gets their driver in Alfa, Red Bull gets their driver in Williams? What do we get?

Nothing as usual.

We better get some engine secrets from Buttass but it will be too late to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    Should we be upset about DeVries in Alfa? Merc gets their driver in Alfa, Red Bull gets their driver in Williams? What do we get?

Nothing as usual.

We better get some engine secrets from Buttass but it will be too late to use them.
    I find it a bit worrying that there are rumors that Sauber is looking to switch from Ferrari to Mercedes PU's.
    At this point, I wouldn't trust Sauber with Ferrari PU's.
    Sauber has lost faith in Ferrari because of the whole HAAS partnership as well as the driver seat thing.
    I know that customer teams don't get the exact manufacture PU's as the factory teams, but still, I think we should cut ties with Sauber.

I hope Binnoto will make the right choices with regards to Sauber.

I'm reading that Vettel might be unhappy with life in F1 and is considering cancelling his contract and retiring. Who knows...

Michael Andretti may also purchase Sauber, presumably that would mean a shock move for Colton Herta into that seat. If so, I'd expect Ferrari to introduce the Alfa name to Haas before 2023 and presumably buy out Mazepin's dad to have a free choice of drivers similar to the Toro Rosso model.
    Last edited by Tifoso Svedese; 9th September 2021 at 08:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    I'm reading that Vettel might be unhappy with life in F1 and is considering cancelling his contract and retiring. Who knows...

Michael Andretti may also purchase Sauber, presumably that would mean a shock move for Colton Herta into that seat. If so, I'd expect Ferrari to introduce the Alfa name to Haas before 2023 and presumably buy out Mazepin's dad to have a free choice of drivers similar to the Toro Rosso model.
    Man, the next few seasons are going to be crazy!

Now there are rumours that Zhou may be lined up for Alfa in place of GIO, this is all getting too much for me and proves it's all about money, he's Chinese with big money behind him and fair enough is currently P2 in the F2 standings. But I'm beginning to think that Sauber may go off on their own with a different engine supplier (Renault/Alpine?) and no Italian connection either with drivers or Ferrari in the future or be bought by someone else, especially if Ferrari's 2022 power unit isn't up to scratch. I still maintain that GIO could have shone with a better car/engine and will be sorry to lose the only Italian on the grid.

Now there are rumours that Zhou may be lined up for Alfa in place of GIO, this is all getting too much for me and proves it's all about money, he's Chinese with big money behind him and fair enough is currently P2 in the F2 standings. But I'm beginning to think that Sauber may go off on their own with a different engine supplier (Renault/Alpine?) and no Italian connection either with drivers or Ferrari in the future or be bought by someone else, especially if Ferrari's 2022 power unit isn't up to scratch. I still maintain that GIO could have shone with a better car/engine and will be sorry to lose the only Italian on the grid.
    There have been reports linking Sauber with a Mercedes PU in the future.
    We should cut ties with Sauber sooner rather than later.

Also, I have a feeling that Williams is looking to be a host for a new works team.
    Williams-Audi / Volkswagen-Williams / Williams-BMW() / Williams-Porsche?

Quote Originally Posted by Toothlessrage* View Post
    There have been reports linking Sauber with a Mercedes PU in the future.
    We should cut ties with Sauber sooner rather than later.

Also, I have a feeling that Williams is looking to be a host for a new works team.
    Williams-Audi / Volkswagen-Williams / Williams-BMW() / Williams-Porsche?
    I think there are a lot of possible changes afoot for the future, nothing would surprise me and I just hope that Ferrari never lose their well-deserved mythical status, it's in our blood!

I think there are a lot of possible changes afoot for the future, nothing would surprise me and I just hope that Ferrari never lose their well-deserved mythical status, it's in our blood!
    Well, Enzo’s motto was.....aero is for people who cannot build a strong engine.....we’ll as of late we’re kind of lacking on both...he’s prolly rolling in his grave that Honda and a Merc are ahead in this department....

Ferrari has to BIG TIME up their game with the 2022 engine....I sure hope Ferrari will surprise US next season....and in a good way that is

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Well, Enzo’s motto was.....aero is for people who cannot build a strong engine.....we’ll as of late we’re kind of lacking on both...he’s prolly rolling in his grave that Honda and a Merc are ahead in this department....

Ferrari has to BIG TIME up their game with the 2022 engine....I sure hope Ferrari will surprise US next season....and in a good way that is
    I can't find any bit of news concerning our 2022 PU.
    The project code is 672.

The only info I could obtain was this: https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1...22-power-unit/
    This article was from a while back too

Breakthrough expected from this weekends Monza engine meeting. Looks like all parties agree to get rid of the MGU-H. Introduction of new engine to be delayed till 2026. Surprisingly Honda will take part in the discussions too.

Breakthrough in F1 engine for 2026 MGU-H is about to end

In Monza, the CEOs of the automakers meet for another top round about the F1 engine of the future. The parties are optimistic that an agreement will be reached by the end of October. One thing is certain: the new engine will not come until 2026. We have the first technical details.

This engine is a difficult birth. Because there are three parties that have to meet. The FIA and the F1 management have a precise idea of what the drive unit of the future should look like. Inexpensive, sustainable, attractive and feasible for newcomers.

Mercedes and Renault have an interest in being able to benefit from their experience with previous hybrid technology and not having to start from scratch again. Audi, Porsche and Red Bull, on the other hand, want a new start in order to be competitive as quickly as possible. Ferrari is in between and is ready to compromise.

The engine group has been meeting at regular intervals since autumn 2020 to discuss the drive concept and the financial framework. Because the positions are so different, there has been little progress for a long time. But now a breakthrough is on the horizon. Because the front line of the established manufacturers seems to be breaking open. Mercedes and Renault allegedly no longer want to hold onto the MGU-H at any cost.

New engine not until 2026

As in Spielberg, there will now be another top round in Monza on Sunday with the CEOs of the car companies, FIA President Jean Todt and Formula 1 bosses Stefano Domenicali and Ross Brawn.

In addition to Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, Red Bull, Audi and Porsche, Honda is surprisingly also there. Despite their resignation, the Japanese apparently have an interest in finding out how things will continue in five years. It wouldn't be the first time Honda has returned to the premier class. Toyota, on the other hand, has stayed out of all discussions until now.

It is now also clear: the new engine will definitely not come until 2026. For a start a year earlier, the parties involved should have come to an agreement more quickly. When the concept is finally in place, all the technical and logistical detail work has to be done. The F1 management hopes that a regulation can be presented in eight weeks.

Number of cylinders not a question of faith

Obviously, it is no longer a question of faith how many cylinders the new engine should have. If the established manufacturers feel more comfortable with a V6, it can also be a six-cylinder. For newcomers like Audi or Porsche or Red Bull as a private manufacturer, it doesn't matter either. A standard block is supposedly planned. There is room for development only with the cylinder head and the combustion. This lowers the hurdle for new prospects.

Another goal is a significant reduction in costs. The unit is said to be reduced from two million dollars to well below one million. That is not possible with the current V6 turbo with its extremely efficient combustion and the MGU-H. Because the coordination between the turbocharger, MGU-H and combustion engine is highly complex and costs too much money to develop.

The "hot" electric machine was a political issue for a long time. The MGU-H embodies high engineering art, but because of the immense test bench effort it is neither sustainable nor relevant to series production. The chances of ever seeing them in a mass-produced car are zero. And with that, their advocates run out of arguments.

Electric power is to increase to 350 kW

The internal combustion engine will lose power. Firstly because of the planned simplification, secondly because of the lower energy density of synthetic fuels or biofuels. The use of one hundred percent sustainable fuel creates the freedom that you no longer have to slavishly cling to the flow rate limitation of 100 kg / h. In the case of CO2 neutrality, consumption no longer plays the decisive role.

In this way, the loss of power can partly be absorbed by higher consumption as well as by more electrical power. Ideally, this should increase from 120 to 350 kilowatts (475 hp). The MGU-H could not have performed this task at all.

Recuperation only on the rear axle would have posed problems in terms of driving dynamics. This is why more and more manufacturers can now make friends with the fact that energy can also be recovered on the front axle without using it again directly. Most of them reject four-wheel drive for reasons of weight.

Does Red Bull get any concessions?

In addition to the technical questions, it must also be clarified where the cost cap for engine manufacturers could be and how newcomers can be helped to build competitive engines quickly. This is only possible with a temporary increase in the budget and more test bench runs.

On this issue, Red Bull could now become a bone of contention. Red Bull Powertrains sees itself as a newcomer because it will build its own engine for the first time in 2026. If the engine concept changes so radically, you will not be able to adopt much of the Honda knowledge.

Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari categorically reject Red Bull's request. In her opinion, the Powertrain department from Milton Keynes will be among the established in five years and should therefore not benefit from concessions.

https://translate.google.com/transla...search&pto=aue

So essentially if we mess up next years' engine that's four years down the drain all because crybabies Red Bull forgot to change the you-know-whats. Dammit.

So essentially if we mess up next years' engine that's four years down the drain all because crybabies Red Bull forgot to change the you-know-whats. Dammit.
    Would you like some tissues, my friend?

it makes no sense, on one hand red bull want a completely blank slate, but then the article contradicts itself and says that they don't want things to change too quickly because then they can't adapt the honda knowledge.

Either way, no concessions for Red Bull. Does Ferrari get concessions for having to be in the midfield for 2 seasons because Red Bull cried about our engine being too strong.

Red Bull would've sold their teams anyway, too much of an asset to give away. Ferrari could've picked AT up for a fair price and renamed it to Alfa or Minardi and have a proper feeder team even more so than Haas and I'm sure there are plenty of billionares who wouldn't mind a top F1 team with Max Verstappen as a driver.

Fail to see why everyone went kissing their rear end like they did. There are no Red Bull fans. They just support Max.

Red Bull would've sold their teams anyway, too much of an asset to give away. Ferrari could've picked AT up for a fair price and renamed it to Alfa or Minardi and have a proper feeder team even more so than Haas and I'm sure there are plenty of billionares who wouldn't mind a top F1 team with Max Verstappen as a driver.

Fail to see why everyone went kissing their rear end like they did. There are no Red Bull fans. They just support Max.

[bold area] Andretti Racing is looking to purchase HAAS as well as a possibility of Mazepin's father as well. I don't see the Russian billionare turning things around BUT Andretti Racing....it's possible.

RedBull does more to F1 than any other team. They've had 2 teams since the introduction of Toro Rosso (2007 ???) and was the only team to employ 2 teams. RedBull sends their RB7 to all parts of the world in asphalt, snow, and sand.....even dirt(Texas COTA)....ALL AT REDBULLS EXPENSE. Look at their YouTube videos of the RB7 doing promo runs.

RedBull bests some of the greatest F1 teams on the track, pitbox, tire strategy.....and they keep getting better.

RedBull holds aero races as well. RedBull is a marketing conglomerate and employs thousands of people. All this from an energy drink.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    [bold area] Andretti Racing is looking to purchase HAAS as well as a possibility of Mazepin's father as well. I don't see the Russian billionare turning things around BUT Andretti Racing....it's possible.

RedBull does more to F1 than any other team. They've had 2 teams since the introduction of Toro Rosso (2007 ???) and was the only team to employ 2 teams. RedBull sends their RB7 to all parts of the world in asphalt, snow, and sand.....even dirt(Texas COTA)....ALL AT REDBULLS EXPENSE. Look at their YouTube videos of the RB7 doing promo runs.

RedBull bests some of the greatest F1 teams on the track, pitbox, tire strategy.....and they keep getting better.

RedBull holds aero races as well. RedBull is a marketing conglomerate and employs thousands of people. All this from an energy drink.
    100%

Red Bull bring the fun into motorsports and always takes their F1 program off the track and gives some F1 experience to as many people as possible.

Mercedes behind the scenes is probably the best. Their youtube technical content is second to none.

Then there is Ferrari who continue to ride on the backbone of their historic name and are completely boring and display none of the passion they are supposedly known for. Red Bull drives an F1 car at different points across the USA and even in snow, and Ferrari drives around the block and pretends its equally as exciting.

Wow they drive a Red Bull in the snow??? not like Ferrari have never done that......
    Forza Ferrari