Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 F1 news/rumours

Fast pits, good tire choice , and H P and the drivers will have what it takes to get on the podium or better. Areo problems are an excuse for not doing well.

Ferrari's bold choice for its 2022 F1 engine explained

Anyone else see this?

Why is there so much information out there about Ferrari's 2022 plans? Does this upset anyone else the way it upsets me? Why are we giving away our secrets?

Meanwhile, I haven't heard a peep out of Mercedes with regards to 2022. Which is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    Ferrari's bold choice for its 2022 F1 engine explained

Anyone else see this?

Why is there so much information out there about Ferrari's 2022 plans? Does this upset anyone else the way it upsets me? Why are we giving away our secrets?

Meanwhile, I haven't heard a peep out of Mercedes with regards to 2022. Which is scary.
    Me too, it's time to keep our secrets secret and there have already been questions over the ICE format and whether it could be a triumph or a disaster. I just pray that Binotto knows what he has been doing, unless the whole story is a red herring to put others off the scent!

[QUOTE=Cav

Meanwhile, I haven't heard a peep out of Mercedes with regards to 2022. Which is scary.[/QUOTE]

Merc is way too busy with this 2021 season, They are working on 8 & 100. I wish it was Ferrari. I'm glad to see our drivers are into this season doing their best. 2 poles is a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Merc is way too busy with this 2021 season, They are working on 8 & 100. I wish it was Ferrari. I'm glad to see our drivers are into this season doing their best. 2 poles is a big deal.
    I'm not so sure that is the case, i hope it is, but I have a feeling that this is essentially the 2020 Merc, and they are just trying to squeak out this championship with that car. If they don't win it, I don't think they care as much.

They care. Completely different rules next year and with a resurgent Ferrari under Binotto with 2 good drivers, they'd probably like to sew up the 8th this year, would take some pressure off. Plus Russel might be driving the 2nd Merc, and seeing as how he can't score any points with Wiliiams, might not contribute too much to Merc's tally.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    They care. Completely different rules next year and with a resurgent Ferrari under Binotto with 2 good drivers, they'd probably like to sew up the 8th this year, would take some pressure off. Plus Russel might be driving the 2nd Merc, and seeing as how he can't score any points with Wiliiams, might not contribute too much to Merc's tally.
    Well firstly let's pray that Ferrari is resurgent next year, the drivers aren't the issue. According to Mekies the development of the SF21 has now finished, apart from any adjustments that can be made with what we have. Russell is being massively hyped, but he may be no better than Bottas, at least I hope that's the case if he does go to Merc. All I care about is our team's fortunes.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Well firstly let's pray that Ferrari is resurgent next year, the drivers aren't the issue.

Silverstone full capacity
    Forza Ferrari

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fi...an-gp/6604217/

Don't think this will hurt Ferrari a lot

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post

This is crazy. Why punish a team who's been doing sub 2sec pitstops for the past 2 years??? I bet this was Mercedes who drove this narrative..
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Nope. Trying to punish RBR, fearing that they are going to beat Two-Chains Douche Canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    This is crazy. Why punish a team who's been doing sub 2sec pitstops for the past 2 years??? I bet this was Mercedes who drove this narrative..
    I can see that happening. Merc yanking the leash on the FIA because RBR is doing something better than them and the FIA being the obedient lap dog as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Nope. Trying to punish RBR, fearing that they are going to beat Two-Chains Douche Canoe.

I can see that happening. Merc yanking the leash on the FIA because RBR is doing something better than them and the FIA being the obedient lap dog as usual.
    Marko said this 2 weeks ago that the Nazi at Merc was saying RB pit stop equipment is illegal and look what's happened. Same with the rear wings, tyre pressures etc. When this does not help them they have already set the ground for their next protest, insinuating Red Bulls 2nd engine is a lot more powerful (it cant be changed in design so already making out they are cheating).

And crickets on flexing front wings.

Pathetic. Golden boy has a challenge for once in 7 years and Toto and co. need to complain to the FIA. Bendy wings and engine complaints didn’t help, so let’s go after their pit stops now? How can anyone respect that team and driver? What a complete joke they are. I really hope this is the beginning of the end for Hamilton, Toto and Merc.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    And crickets on flexing front wings.
    100%. Merc is always within the rules and regs, and if not; the rules and regs are changed to make sure Merc are always on top.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

F1 and the FIA are losing all sense of fair competition, all these reactionary tweaks to regs in favour of Merc and Ferrari hobbled for two seasons just because they found a loophole in the fuel flow system in 2019. Beggars belief that we are supposed to take it all seriously, for the good of the sport! I wonder what the sprint races will add to the show at Silverstone, it's all becoming a circus.

100%. Merc is always within the rules and regs, and if not; the rules and regs are changed to make sure Merc are always on top.
    There rules not to be beaten and Liberty and FIA ara playing along with Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    F1 and the FIA are losing all sense of fair competition, all these reactionary tweaks to regs in favour of Merc and Ferrari hobbled for two seasons just because they found a loophole in the fuel flow system in 2019. Beggars belief that we are supposed to take it all seriously, for the good of the sport! I wonder what the sprint races will add to the show at Silverstone, it's all becoming a circus.
    The world has truly turned upside down in many more ways than one but for sure F1 has become a circus - and not in a good way but in the sense of clowns and chaos!

Vested interests, a desire from Liberty and the FIA to turn F1 into some dystopian, utterly woke freak show..

I attended my first GP in 1972 - Brands Hatch - my last at Silverstone in 2011 (glad my last GP was such a fantastic one!) and have followed the Scuderia since '79. I won't attend another and I'm not sure I'll even be watching on TV for much longer.
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    Marko said this 2 weeks ago that the Nazi at Merc was saying RB pit stop equipment is illegal and look what's happened. Same with the rear wings, tyre pressures etc. When this does not help them they have already set the ground for their next protest, insinuating Red Bulls 2nd engine is a lot more powerful (it cant be changed in design so already making out they are cheating).
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    Pathetic. Golden boy has a challenge for once in 7 years and Toto and co. need to complain to the FIA. Bendy wings and engine complaints didn’t help, so let’s go after their pit stops now? How can anyone respect that team and driver? What a complete joke they are. I really hope this is the beginning of the end for Hamilton, Toto and Merc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post

New pit stop rules from Spielberg

Red Bull mad at Mercedes

Every Grand Prix a new rule. In a technical directive, the FIA requires minimum distances between the individual work steps during pit stops. Red Bull believes Mercedes is behind the new instruction. The stricter procedure costs the World Cup leaders 0.35 seconds.

First the flexible rear wing. Then the tire pressures. Now the pit stop procedures. The FIA commissioners are diligently writing technical directives to make the existing rules more stringent. Red Bull sees itself as a victim in all three cases. And at least twice, World Cup opponent Mercedes is said to have run into the problem with the FIA.

This is also the case with the latest clarification that came to the teams' tables three days after the French GP. The association pulls the thumbscrews on the teams during the pit stop. There are now minimum clearances for the individual work steps.

At least 0.15 seconds must elapse between the signal that all four wheel nuts are properly fastened and the manual confirmation by the relevant mechanic on the impact wrench. Only then can the car be released from the jacks.

From the moment the car with the newly wound wheels touches the ground to the green light, the FIA requires a minimum distance of 0.2 seconds. This means that the pit stops are at least 0.35 seconds longer for the teams that have done practically everything at the same time.

Seven years of work damaged

The rulers' initiative came out of the blue for some teams. There has not been a dramatic case this season in which a car with a loose wheel left the pit lane.

Red Bull sporting director Helmut Marko complains: "Mercedes pushed it because they wanted to steal our advantage during pit stops. We lose up to four tenths. Seven years of work and training have gone into the consistency and speed of our pit stops."

We hear from FIA circles that some teams have asked for clarification. Which teams are involved will not be revealed. Toto Wolff is tight-lipped when asked: "A few weeks ago we asked about a safety system for the pit stops. But I don't know whether that led to the technical directive."

Alpine at least applauds softly. "It was high time something happened. The rules demand that humans give the order. If you analyze Red Bull's pit stops, then some processes are below the human response time," says operations manager Alan Permane.

McLaren team boss Andreas Seidl is also satisfied: "We welcome the FIA initiative because safety at pit stops is very important to us. It's good that it comes now before something happens. The pit stops have become an important battlefield the teams fight hard. The way we make our pit stops, we've already exhausted everything that's allowed. So we don't have to change our processes with the new TD. " From Red Bull's point of view, these two teams are benefiting from the stricter limits. Alpine is 7th in the pit stop ranking, McLaren 8th.

No more pit stop records

Alfa Romeo sports director Beat Zehnder claims: "If you stick to the rule, pit stops under two seconds are not possible." Red Bull has broken the two-customer limit three times this season. In Bahrain, Max Verstappen was dispatched in 1.93 seconds, in Portimao and Baku in 1.98 seconds each.

The competition saw a certain automatism in this: "At Red Bull, the cars have already been drained, the impact wrenches were still in the wheel nuts. It was all a single process, started by the sensor message after the wheel nuts had been tightened. Press the button, drain "Take off the impact wrench and drive off."

Marko wonders how the FIA is going to monitor the new regulations. "It's practically impossible during the race. You would have to do it afterwards. Do you want to punish teams afterwards?"

The man from Graz believes that the FIA has scored an own goal: "The safety argument is not one. We don't risk a badly dressed bike. You are out of the race. That is the maximum penalty. With this measure, we worsen the show. Two-customer stops fascinate people. In addition, the rule punishes the good guys. "

https://translate.google.com/transla...2F&prev=search

Mercedes queried FIA over pit stop procedures last month

The FIA introduced new rules to slow down Formula 1 teams’ pit stops following a query raised by Mercedes at least three weeks ago.

However Mercedes CEO Toto Wolff said he is not aware whether their enquiry prompted the revision to the rules, revealed yesterday, which will come into force for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

“We enquired with the FIA on a safety mechanism which is related to a system that we are using and whether that could be optimised,” said Wolff. “That happened, I would say, three or four weeks ago and was a technology question.

“Did that trigger anything else? Maybe, I don’t know, but this is the question we’ve asked.”

An updated technical directive stipulates minimum reaction times for mechanics at certain phases of the pit stops and requires a 0.2 second delay between the pit stop being completed and the car being released.

“It’s interesting to see because there must be a reason why that TD has come up and I’m not 100% sure,” said Wolff. “The operation of the wheel gun and the release of the car is a highly complex matter.”

The revision to the rules, which will come into effect in three races’ time, has prompted controversy. Mercedes’ championship rivals Red Bull have consistently produced the quickest pit stops this season, and won last week’s French Grand Prix by manoeuvring Max Verstappen into the lead through a well-timed and rapid pit stop.

Wolff said the revision to the rules targeted a potential area where safety could be improved. “Certainly all of us in the team are up for competition because it’s a competitive field but there is also the safety argument,” he said.

Mercedes has performed its pit stops with an extra margin to reduce the possibility of a car being sent from its pit box with a loose wheel, said Wolff.
    “You will always put everything into your pit stops so you avoid the wheel just detaching or coming off because the damage is enormous.

“We in the past had a policy of making sure that that wouldn’t happen and that also meant to have some circuit breakers in the system in a way that that could never happen. And that slows you down in terms of pit stops. But that was our own decision, it had nothing to do with anybody else.

“A fast pit stop is nice to have and they look cool but I’m not 100% sure there’s such a huge performance differentiator because we are talking about a tenth or two on average, we are not talking about the slowest or the fastest pit stops. It will be interesting to see [what] that come from and what the basis was.”

https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/25/...es-last-month/

Pitstop rule change is ‘obviously’ to slow us down – Red Bull

Red Bull Formula 1 boss Christian Horner believes a new FIA technical directive to slow down pitstops is a result of rivals trying to slow his team down.

From the Hungarian Grand Prix, teams will need to comply with specific instructions that state the front jack release cannot begin until all wheel guns have signalled completion and there must be at least 0.2s between the jack release and the green light being shown to the driver.

The suggestion is that the quickest pitstops in F1, which are sub-2s, are not possible without an element of pre-emption and could be risking cars being released without properly attached wheels or mechanics involved in the process being put in danger.
    Red Bull is F1’s benchmark team in performing pitstops.

It has the six quickest pitstops in the 2021 season so far and is leading the 2021 pitstop competition run by F1 partner DHL.

“The technical directive is certainly very wordy and you’d almost have to question whether it’s a change of regulation,” said Horner on Friday at the Styrian Grand Prix.

“But I suppose that we have been very competitive, we’ve got the world record on pitstops, we’ve had the majority of fastest stops and it’s not by accident.

“I find it a little disappointing… it’s the duty of the competitor to ensure that the car is safe and the penalty for a wheel not being fixed is you have to stop the car immediately, so it’s a brutal punishment if you haven’t got all four wheels securely and safely fastened.

“What the technical directive is trying to achieve, I’m not quite sure because I think there’s an awful lot of complexity to it.

“Of course, when you’re in a competitive situation, if you can’t be beaten, then obviously the most logical thing is for your competitors to try and slow you down and that’s obviously what’s happening here.”

Red Bull’s pitstop advantage over Mercedes is based upon having invested more in new tech pitstop equipment at a time when its cars were not as fast as those of its rival.

Mercedes has fallen behind Red Bull on pitstops and has had to accept there is a limit to how much its own performance in that area can be improved until next season.

Last June a technical directive was issued whereby the team’s hugely costly pitstop equipment would become homologated at the end of September until the end of 2021.

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said that there had been “some question marks on some things” internally and said it had sought clarification from the FIA on “a safety mechanism”.

He said it was submitted “three or four weeks ago” and “related to a system that we were using, and whether that could be optimised”.

“It was a technology question,” Wolff said. “Did that trigger anything else? Maybe, I don’t know.”

The latest TD comes after FIA intervention on a flexi-wing row – that Red Bull was also implicated in – and suggestions of potential tyre pressure manipulation.
    “You can see there’s an awful lot of pointed activity in our direction at the moment,” Horner said when asked by The Race if he felt Red Bull had a target on its back.

“But that comes with the territory of being competitive.

“An awful lot of energy is going into trying to slow the car down, which is I guess what obviously happens in a competitive business.

“It’s something that we are used to, but I’m losing too much sleep about.”

https://the-race.com/formula-1/pitst...down-red-bull/

Post FrenchGP Pre-StryianGP 2021

Now Piirelli wants the teams to test rear tires. I wonder what spurred this on.......hmmmmm?

Pirelli: Next Friday, each driver will have two sets of these new tyres available for use during either free practice session. If the test is successful, the new rear specification will be introduced from the British Grand Prix onwards, replacing the current specification.

https://twitter.com/JunaidSamodien_/...107919/photo/1

And to some on this forum I’m just a conspiracy theorist for believing that F1 has been an orchestrated farce for the last 7 years to ensure Merc and Hamilton victories. The favouritism and bias is so blatantly obvious, it’s a complete joke. It is getting more obvious daily with each new “directive”. Why doesn’t the fia come out with a directive that Honda need to revert to last years PU for safety concerns? Or better yet, like I have said before; a break away series where it’s only Hamilton and Bottas racing. Hamilton wins every race and Merc wins every championship. Joke.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    The world has truly turned upside down in many more ways than one but for sure F1 has become a circus - and not in a good way but in the sense of clowns and chaos!

Vested interests, a desire from Liberty and the FIA to turn F1 into some dystopian, utterly woke freak show..

I attended my first GP in 1972 - Brands Hatch - my last at Silverstone in 2011 (glad my last GP was such a fantastic one!) and have followed the Scuderia since '79. I won't attend another and I'm not sure I'll even be watching on TV for much longer.
    You've hit the nail on the head, Nick, I attended my first GPs in 1967, at Brands Hatch and then Monza (lucky boy, I know, but Honda won) and that's probably the day I became a Tifoso of Ferrari, the last I attended was Monza 2013 and I don't want the hassle of Silverstone ever again, with all those HAM fans. It's all getting more and more woke and PC, and paying for the doubtful privilege of Crofty and Co is becoming untenable for me too! But as a Tifoso, I just can't let go. We deserve better.

As for the Merc/RB farce, they are like a pair of squabbling kids in the playground, the FIA and Liberty are becoming the drunken sailors of a sinking ship, and the more they try to suck up to Merc, the quicker F1 will drown.

Wait a second!

Don't all teams have to agree unanimously to have a mid season tyre specification change?

So how come, we have new sets available to test all of a sudden with a potential specification change mid season?

By the end of 2025, only areas not covered by TDs will be paint colour. Sponsorships won't matter as well, as they may end up leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by kshitijmalkan View Post
    Wait a second!

Don't all teams have to agree unanimously to have a mid season tyre specification change?

So how come, we have new sets available to test all of a sudden with a potential specification change mid season?

By the end of 2025, only areas not covered by TDs will be paint colour. Sponsorships won't matter as well, as they may end up leaving.
    Pirelli doesn't want another Baku 2021 at Silverstone......it's there fault the tires blew hence these new rear tires.

Pirelli doesn't want another Baku 2021 at Silverstone......it's there fault the tires blew hence these new rear tires.
    Or is Merc getting another set of bespoke Pirelli’s?
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

It really would be nice if the FIA and Pirelli didn't always make adjustments to suit Mercedes, or hurt Mercedes direct competitors.

They've won 7 freakin championships in a row, how about they win one by actually racing?

As soon as Merc driver hits 8 WDCs and 100 or more wins I believe all will change. They already seem to have forgotten about poles since they hit 100.

Should be pretty obvious what I've said all along that the 2017 and 2018 championships were rigged so it wouldn't have mattered what Vettel would've done unless he's been superman and 0.5 s/lap clear.

Yeah Seb was the inside man for Merc
    Forza Ferrari