Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: 2021 F1 news/rumours

I've just seen this, so he'll get the promised engine upgrade for Sochi, but it looks like it could be a wet weekend and he'll start at the back, possibly in the rain....just what we need!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I was laughing on WS6TransAm01 comment not related to rumor about CL
    You're the only one who has an appreciation for my brand of humor, bro. The rest just seem to be wet blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    You're the only one who has an appreciation for my brand of humor, bro. The rest just seem to be wet blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    Neither McLaren nor Williams ever had the same magic though.
    McLaren and Williams build F1 cars. Ferrari built F1.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I've just seen this, so he'll get the promised engine upgrade for Sochi, but it looks like it could be a wet weekend and he'll start at the back, possibly in the rain....just what we need!
    Indeed, rain is just what we do not need then.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

On the other hand starting at the back if it rains could offer a lot better opportunity to climb up the order than otherwise. In the wet, Sochi should be a pretty easy place to overtake at because the corner speeds will be much lower and it offers strategic opportunities to even get back to the top five.

On the other hand starting at the back if it rains could offer a lot better opportunity to climb up the order than otherwise. In the wet, Sochi should be a pretty easy place to overtake at because the corner speeds will be much lower and it offers strategic opportunities to even get back to the top five.
    Don't know if it will be like that. From the back you have a lot more spray and it far more dangerous to be part in an accident!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Don't know if it will be like that. From the back you have a lot more spray and it far more dangerous to be part in an accident!!!!
    Nothing to lose, really...

Send it!

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    It was recently posted in another thread. Supposedly Leclerc got in an argument with Binotto over the team choosing to put more effort into designing the car to Carlos' liking. Who knows if it's true though.
    So if Charles is so unhappy why is it he wants an extension till 2026 ALREADY?
    Also, you might want to check the budgets for the last at least 3-4 years, by far Merc then RBR have been spending the most, then we're following.

This is not 2000s any more.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

The team supposedly choosing to put more effort into designing the car to Carlo's liking over Charles would never go over easy for any team mate. Neither driver is in contention for WDC. Charles on many occasions stressed his desire to retire with Ferrari . If it's even true it could be Binotto is already worrying about making room for a future driver whoever that may be at the time. Both drivers for sure deserve equal treatment so far. Meanwhile it;s Charles who will get the 4th engine this Sunday.
    Last edited by Brembo; 23rd September 2021 at 04:31.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    So if Charles is so unhappy why is it he wants an extension till 2026 ALREADY?
    Also, you might want to check the budgets for the last at least 3-4 years, by far Merc then RBR have been spending the most, then we're following.

This is not 2000s any more.
    It's possible that Leclerc wanted an extension prior to this rumored mini argument they had. As of right now, no extension has been signed.

Not sure where you are looking, but just google Formula 1 budgets and you will see Ferrari is at or near the top every single season. 2019 has the latest report and supposedly Ferrari spent the most at $435m vs Mercedes at $425m. In 2018 supposedly Ferrari spent $100m more than Red Bull. 2016 has Ferrari at 386m Euro vs Merc 310m euro vs RBR 252m euro.

So yeah I stand by Ferrari always has among the biggest budgets.

Mercedes have undoubtedly been hiding numbers. The speed of their in-season development suggests they've spent a lot more than they've let on.

Leclerc: "Ferrari is working in the right direction"

The Monegasque in Sochi will undo the fourth engine of the season and will go into a penalty for which he will start on the grid, but Charles is curious to see what he will be able to do with the new power unit that will be able to count on the updates in the hybrid system: "The the road to reach our goal is still very, very long, but we want to get back to fighting for the World title. And we must continue to work in this direction ".

Speaking with Charles Leclerc, it emerges that the curiosity to evaluate the updated power unit on the track, which he will have available this weekend, is greater than the concern linked to having to start the Russian Grand Prix from the last row of the starting grid. .

Leclerc does not expect major changes, but an improvement that confirms the correct direction of work, a useful feedback especially in view of 2022.

Immediately the goal is to leave Sochi with a good haul of points, trying to keep McLaren in sight, which thanks to the double obtained at Monza took off in the Constructors' classification.

How difficult will it be to come back from the back of the grid on a track like Sochi?
    “At the moment the weather forecasts say rain, and if they turn out to be correct we could see an unpredictable race, which from my point of view I hope can play in favor of a comeback. In the event of a dry race it will depend on the pace, because there are points to overtake ”.

Will you do the rain dance?
    “I'm not very good at… dancing, but the rain is likely to help. Saturday evening maybe he will try to dance ”.

What do you expect from the power unit you will be using this weekend?
    “On paper, it confirmed progress, and every time we have something capable of guaranteeing us a step forward, we try to bring it to the track. I don't expect big changes, but I hope to see an improvement in the right direction ”.

At the Monza weekend you surpassed the score you had obtained at the end of the 2020 World Championship. Is this the exact picture of how much the car has improved compared to last year?
    “Yes, I think it is a correct assessment. I had different sensations from the first race, I immediately felt more comfortable with this car and the overall performance was simply better. "

"This feedback confirms that we are working in the right direction, but the road to reach our goal is still very, very long, we want to get back to fighting for the World title. It was a good step forward compared to last year, and we must continue to work in this direction "

Monza was not a good race for Ferrari, especially in view of the comparison with McLaren for third place in the Constructors' classification. How confident are you about the chances of being able to bridge the gap both here in Sochi and in the next races?
    “McLaren are having a great season… unfortunately! But in many respects it is good that there is this close confrontation, because it has confirmed that we are very united throughout the season. McLaren was competitive at Monza, now it will be up to us to make up for the gap. Our job is to try to maximize every weekend, and we hope to be able to overcome them at the end of the championship ”.

Do you think they perform more consistently than you?
    "No I do not think so. Overall they were faster than us, and we hope this small update will help us get closer ”.

Is there a circuit, among those where you will stop from now to the end of the season, where you think Ferrari will be more competitive?

“The Mexico City circuit could go well with our car, but let's wait and see. During the season we also had some nice surprises, so we hope there are more to come ”.

When on the track you find yourself wheel to wheel against Max and Lewis, do you consider the possibility that in a duel at loggerheads they both have more to lose than you?
    “Probably in a part of my head, I do. I am aware that if we have to take a risk they have much more to lose than me considering that I am fighting for the World Cup. But honestly I don't get to fight them very often this year, so I haven't asked myself that question many times. "

ARTICLE: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...zione/6673195/

Thanks for posting. As realistic and level-headed as we've come to expect from Charles.

Hypothetically, lets say Mercedes PU at peak is 1000HP and we're 20HP behind, so our peak is 980HP. 10HP means 1.020% increase which looks miniscule.

But F1 is a sport of milliseconds, so 1.020% increase in power means 0.612 tenths of a laptime. Of course, it's not as straightforward, since F1 cars are not racing just on straights and there are other principal parameters like corners, tyres, chassis, suspension etc. But even if we include everything, even a 2 tenths/lap improvement is a huge thing in F1.

Come race time all principals become under the drivers control start to race finish. One bad move and 2 tenths disappears . The best setup car on the track is up to the drivers luck and skill. As was the case with Merc and R Bull last time out. Bottas was proof the Merc car was on the money.
    Last edited by Brembo; 24th September 2021 at 01:49.

It's possible that Leclerc wanted an extension prior to this rumored mini argument they had. As of right now, no extension has been signed.

Not sure where you are looking, but just google Formula 1 budgets and you will see Ferrari is at or near the top every single season. 2019 has the latest report and supposedly Ferrari spent the most at $435m vs Mercedes at $425m. In 2018 supposedly Ferrari spent $100m more than Red Bull. 2016 has Ferrari at 386m Euro vs Merc 310m euro vs RBR 252m euro.

So yeah I stand by Ferrari always has among the biggest budgets.
    Of course as of now they have not been signed.
    But what I said, is that Leclerc iz ASKING for an extension.
    And that shows something. It shows that he wants to stick with the team (and probably things are not as doom and gloom as some think they are!).

Also, regarding the budgets, constructors budgets are different to the other teams as they have two separate budgets. The ones that are used for the engines alone ,and the ones that are used for the team.
    This is why Ferrari and Merc for instance have very high budgets and then there is ... hey, why is RBR so high ???
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    . Enzo is not running Ferrari now so bringing up that quote as if it somehow related to Ferrari today is rather pathetic.
    Enzo's quote reflects a dogged mentality that refuses to change with the times. That mentality unfortunately still lingers among some of us on this forum, and it's a dangerous omen against success and longevity. As I personally said earlier, I hope the powers that be at Ferrari don't subscribe to some of the dogged attitudes reflected on this forum, because then woe is we.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    McLaren and Williams build F1 cars. Ferrari built F1.
    Oooooh that's a good one!
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Of course as of now they have not been signed.
    But what I said, is that Leclerc iz ASKING for an extension.
    And that shows something. It shows that he wants to stick with the team (and probably things are not as doom and gloom as some think they are!).

Also, regarding the budgets, constructors budgets are different to the other teams as they have two separate budgets. The ones that are used for the engines alone ,and the ones that are used for the team.
    This is why Ferrari and Merc for instance have very high budgets and then there is ... hey, why is RBR so high ???
    I'm just saying that Leclerc may have asked for an extension prior to the news that Sainz will get higher priority of development... if it's even true. I do believe that Ferrari and Leclerc will work that out though, so an extension would not surprise me.

If Red Bull are consistently $100m below Ferrari and Mercedes, I'd say their budget is pretty low and impressive since they are always a top 3 team. Red Bull certainly aren't spending the most as suggested.

Any R&D and manufacturing of engines that Mercedes and Ferrari spends, they certainly make up for by selling the engines to customers. I would bet they make a net gain on it too. Whatever a team gets for a budget, they spend it all anyways. Ferrari is just very fortunate to have legacy bonuses that are worth millions.

I think if the new engine is indeed worth 0.3 s/lap there could be good chances of strong performances also in Turkey, the USA, Brazil and Abu Dhabi and not just Mexico. In theory all those tracks should be okay for the car considering an abundance of slow corners.

Qatar and Saudi Arabia are more like high-speed tracks which would make it harder.

I think if the new engine is indeed worth 0.3 s/lap there could be good chances of strong performances also in Turkey, the USA, Brazil and Abu Dhabi and not just Mexico. In theory all those tracks should be okay for the car considering an abundance of slow corners.

Qatar and Saudi Arabia are more like high-speed tracks which would make it harder.
    I'm glad we got the upgrade before Turkey, because I think that is the best place for Ferrari to steal a win. Followed by USA, and Abu Dhabi?

I'm just saying that Leclerc may have asked for an extension prior to the news that Sainz will get higher priority of development... if it's even true. I do believe that Ferrari and Leclerc will work that out though, so an extension would not surprise me.

If Red Bull are consistently $100m below Ferrari and Mercedes, I'd say their budget is pretty low and impressive since they are always a top 3 team. Red Bull certainly aren't spending the most as suggested.

Any R&D and manufacturing of engines that Mercedes and Ferrari spends, they certainly make up for by selling the engines to customers. I would bet they make a net gain on it too. Whatever a team gets for a budget, they spend it all anyways. Ferrari is just very fortunate to have legacy bonuses that are worth millions.
    You should ask yourself how much does it cost to develop an engine?
    Then one should ask themselves, if that 100mn USD is really a small gap, or in reality RBR is spending MORE than Ferrari and Mercedes to develop their car.
    Also , when it comes to RBR, we need not forget they have two teams that work as one, whatever that entails, using the same engine (Data) , aero data etc.

RBR (for me) is a special case in F1.

Also regarding Charles, I seriously doubt there is anything to worry about, or any smoke for that matter. The guy wants to get the championship with Ferrari, and quite frankly he is happy where he is.
    Even if there was a tossup with Binotto, guess what, those things happen in any sort of company. Who cares quite honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    I'm glad we got the upgrade before Turkey, because I think that is the best place for Ferrari to steal a win. Followed by USA, and Abu Dhabi?
    Nah Mexico. Above 2,000 metres so the hp differential will be a lot less than even in Monaco combined with a track filled to the brim with 90-degree turns and hairpins.

Brazil would also be a good track in theory. Just one fast turn, 850 m asl and turn 1 a potential hotspot for Verstappen/Hamilton issues. Abu Dhabi would've been great if it hadn't been right on the coastline meaning hp differential still applies.

Turkey on the other hand is a track I won't make any predictions until I know what the grip levels of the surface is like. If it's back to 2011 again there will be no chance. Texas ought to be an okay track but I think there are too many fast turns in S1 and the long straight will still make a bit of a difference at the 400 m asl (I think) elevation.

Nah Mexico. Above 2,000 metres so the hp differential will be a lot less than even in Monaco combined with a track filled to the brim with 90-degree turns and hairpins.

Brazil would also be a good track in theory. Just one fast turn, 850 m asl and turn 1 a potential hotspot for Verstappen/Hamilton issues. Abu Dhabi would've been great if it hadn't been right on the coastline meaning hp differential still applies.

Turkey on the other hand is a track I won't make any predictions until I know what the grip levels of the surface is like. If it's back to 2011 again there will be no chance. Texas ought to be an okay track but I think there are too many fast turns in S1 and the long straight will still make a bit of a difference at the 400 m asl (I think) elevation.
    The reason I ruled out Mexico is because Red Bull always does so well there. But you're right this year it could change. Also, we'd only have to beat Red Bull I think because I expect that to be the best place for Mercedes to take an engine penalty.

The engine upgrade gave us about an extra 2 and a half tenths. Bear in mind that we still need to make sure of the reliability so we aren't utilising it fully. I'd expect another tenth in Istanbul if everything goes well in Sochi.

Could shake things up a little, but Carlos will also take a grid penalty when he gets the upgraded engine. Hopefully Charles will get some clean races and capitalise on anyone else's penalties. On another note, rumours of a fall-out between Charles and Binotto continue to surface, at Monza initially then again at Sochi with suggestions that the team were favouring Carlos' technical feedback at the expense of Charles. I sincerely hope this doesn't develop into anything poisonous as to lose Charles would be catastrophic.
    Last edited by wisepie; 29th September 2021 at 17:11.

The fairytale relationship between binotto Charles and ferrari are starting to show strain and cracks.Its purely frustration with charles,he wants a fast reliable car that solid at every circuit,and ferrari are failing him with the speed of delivery and the binotto rhetoric on moving foward.Basically he is sick and tired of the binotto and wants results now, no more talking just deliver the car required.I do not want to see Charles become a pawn for ferrari as happened to vettal. So Binotto start giving Charles the car he deserves stop with the engineering rhetoric and long winded stories of progress,because continuing on this path will result in more tension and ultimately Charles leaving.A seat at Red bull awaits.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    The fairytale relationship between binotto Charles and ferrari are starting to show strain and cracks.Its purely frustration with charles,he wants a fast reliable car that solid at every circuit,and ferrari are failing him with the speed of delivery and the binotto rhetoric on moving foward.Basically he is sick and tired of the binotto and wants results now, no more talking just deliver the car required.I do not want to see Charles become a pawn for ferrari as happened to vettal. So Binotto start giving Charles the car he deserves stop with the engineering rhetoric and long winded stories of progress,because continuing on this path will result in more tension and ultimately Charles leaving.A seat at Red bull awaits.
    All this Binotto plan ,makes sense till next year!!! Its pretty logical to take some years to put all things together . BUT ,as i said before, next years also ends his chance to prove that he is capable of leading the team . IF we fail ,it will be ALL up to him !!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!