Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222334 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 F1 news/rumours

But the sprints in F2 are pretty exciting. That wouldn't work in F1?

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    But the sprints in F2 are pretty exciting. That wouldn't work in F1?
    So, how does a sprint race work???

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    Honestly, the discussion about LH is simply boring.
    Can you please stop it?
    No.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

If sprint races replace qualifying, it will kill the only good thing left about Monaco.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

Maybe F1 can qualy on Friday like F2 and do Sprint on Saturday. Think sprint races are just for points.
    The more I think about it the less appealing it is from a logistics point of view. But seeing F1 cars going flat out for an hour or 45 min race would be pretty cool. No tire saving, no fuel saving just flat out racing.

Ferrari: revolutionary power unit for 2022!

For the 2022 Ferrari F1 car that is being designed in Maranello, the Italian side has decided to bet on an engine with a separate turbo and compressor, following the direction dictated by Mercedes at the beginning of the hybrid era. The novelty is that the compressor could go into the intake box, causing the miniaturization of the upper part of the engine. A courageous solution according to a recent report from Motorsport Italy, especially if the freezing of PUs is decided from next year.

Mattia Binotto has decided to take a risk. The team principal has chosen: in 2022, in the ‘ground-effect’ era, Ferrari will adopt a power unit with very innovative solutions to break with the recent past issue and try to regain leadership among the engine manufacturers.

This is a very courageous operation because it will not be without risk: according to rumors filtering from Maranello, next year’s car will be born with a completely new supercharging system arrangement.

Wolf Zimmermann, who is entrusted with the development of the power unit for the new technical regulation, intends to separate the supercharger from the turbo, going in the direction of what Mercedes has pursued since the beginning of the hybrid era in 2014, namely with the arrangement of the first in the front part of the 6-cylinder, chassis side, and the second located as always in the rear, while today both are grouped together in the gearbox direction.

Naturally, the two elements will be connected by a shaft according to the regulations, following a technical approach that was developed by Ferrari, but then also followed by Honda.

Ferrari, however, will not limit itself to copying an architecture, because it will try to push research in the direction of an unprecedented solution, namely to bring the compressor inside the 6-cylinder intake box, and with a new arrangement of the intercooler.

The Maranello engineers, therefore, would be experimenting with a truly unusual layout that could also lead to the renunciation of the system of variable geometry horns, thanks to which it is possible to find the right delivery of power at the different engine speeds.

The very ambitious goal is to have an engine as powerful as others, but with a power unit packaging that should drastically favor aerodynamics, limiting the drag that was one of the serious issues of the SF1000.

In short, Ferrari would launch into a sort of miniaturization of the upper part of the engine which would also lead to a significant weight saving: we are talking about something that has never been seen in Formula 1 with great risks from the point of view of reliability, as this is a completely new solution that will take time to develop and fine-tune, as reported by Motorsport Italy.

In the working group directed by Enrico Gualtieri there are those who would have preferred to carry out a more traditional power unit, ‘daughter’ of the engine that will be used on the SF21, but the constraints dictated by the short time available, and, above all, by the introduction of the budget cap and the constraints on bench tests, required a decision to be made to pursue only one development direction.

And Mattia Binotto must be acknowledged the courage of having bet on the future, in the full awareness that the 2022 power unit will not evolve over the course of the year and that it could be frozen for the next seasons. It is all too evident that in Maranello they have decided to take risks, but if Ferrari has the ambition to return to the top to challenge the Mercedes on an equal footing, it must return to being the protagonist with bold technical choices.

It has been said that in recent years too conservative choices have been made in the Racing Department, so it was decided to dare with a concept that was conceived in collaboration with AvL, the Austrian company from Graz which for years has had a partnership with the Prancing Horse.

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-rev...unit-for-2022/
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

I'm not sure I like the fact that Ferrari's development plans are always getting revealed in great detail long before time. I would prefer surprise revelations during testing. But on the other hand, as a fan it's nice to know what the team are planning and working on.
    Last edited by ntukza; 9th February 2021 at 22:05.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Ferrari: revolutionary power unit for 2022!

For the 2022 Ferrari F1 car that is being designed in Maranello, the Italian side has decided to bet on an engine with a separate turbo and compressor, following the direction dictated by Mercedes at the beginning of the hybrid era. The novelty is that the compressor could go into the intake box, causing the miniaturization of the upper part of the engine. A courageous solution according to a recent report from Motorsport Italy, especially if the freezing of PUs is decided from next year.

Mattia Binotto has decided to take a risk. The team principal has chosen: in 2022, in the ‘ground-effect’ era, Ferrari will adopt a power unit with very innovative solutions to break with the recent past issue and try to regain leadership among the engine manufacturers.

This is a very courageous operation because it will not be without risk: according to rumors filtering from Maranello, next year’s car will be born with a completely new supercharging system arrangement.

Wolf Zimmermann, who is entrusted with the development of the power unit for the new technical regulation, intends to separate the supercharger from the turbo, going in the direction of what Mercedes has pursued since the beginning of the hybrid era in 2014, namely with the arrangement of the first in the front part of the 6-cylinder, chassis side, and the second located as always in the rear, while today both are grouped together in the gearbox direction.

Naturally, the two elements will be connected by a shaft according to the regulations, following a technical approach that was developed by Ferrari, but then also followed by Honda.

Ferrari, however, will not limit itself to copying an architecture, because it will try to push research in the direction of an unprecedented solution, namely to bring the compressor inside the 6-cylinder intake box, and with a new arrangement of the intercooler.

The Maranello engineers, therefore, would be experimenting with a truly unusual layout that could also lead to the renunciation of the system of variable geometry horns, thanks to which it is possible to find the right delivery of power at the different engine speeds.

The very ambitious goal is to have an engine as powerful as others, but with a power unit packaging that should drastically favor aerodynamics, limiting the drag that was one of the serious issues of the SF1000.

In short, Ferrari would launch into a sort of miniaturization of the upper part of the engine which would also lead to a significant weight saving: we are talking about something that has never been seen in Formula 1 with great risks from the point of view of reliability, as this is a completely new solution that will take time to develop and fine-tune, as reported by Motorsport Italy.

In the working group directed by Enrico Gualtieri there are those who would have preferred to carry out a more traditional power unit, ‘daughter’ of the engine that will be used on the SF21, but the constraints dictated by the short time available, and, above all, by the introduction of the budget cap and the constraints on bench tests, required a decision to be made to pursue only one development direction.

And Mattia Binotto must be acknowledged the courage of having bet on the future, in the full awareness that the 2022 power unit will not evolve over the course of the year and that it could be frozen for the next seasons. It is all too evident that in Maranello they have decided to take risks, but if Ferrari has the ambition to return to the top to challenge the Mercedes on an equal footing, it must return to being the protagonist with bold technical choices.

It has been said that in recent years too conservative choices have been made in the Racing Department, so it was decided to dare with a concept that was conceived in collaboration with AvL, the Austrian company from Graz which for years has had a partnership with the Prancing Horse.

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-rev...unit-for-2022/
    A bit late to the party, but hey, I’ll take it....better late than never, NO?

Why it took them 7 years to finally realize that the Merc soliution was the best, I don’t know...but at least they’re making it happen in the 11th hour before we get the engine freeze....hopefully will be just as powerful as the Merc or maybe even better
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

deja vu

Seems to me that Binotto completely wrote off last year and this year in hopes to get a head start on 2022. He is betting everything on the information that came out of our settlement with the FIA coupled with the incoming engine freeze hoping to pull a Merc and retain dominance during the next engine cycle. If our engine is powerful and class leading, then it will be a stroke of genius. However, if we screw up and are locked-in again to watch another constructer dominate it will be a disaster.

I'd like to see how fast the FIA changes the rules next cycle to remove the freeze if we are in fact ahead of the rest lol. Horner and Wolff will become best friends while protesting our "un-fair dominance" while all the haters bring up cheating accusations. LOL
    Last edited by ferrari1.8t; 9th February 2021 at 17:39.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Maybe F1 can qualy on Friday like F2 and do Sprint on Saturday. Think sprint races are just for points.
    The more I think about it the less appealing it is from a logistics point of view. But seeing F1 cars going flat out for an hour or 45 min race would be pretty cool. No tire saving, no fuel saving just flat out racing.
    The second part of your post is attractive, Bob, but this is what the actual Grand Prix should be about! Adding sprint races to a weekend, which could count towards championship points and determine grid slots for the actual GP would be increasing the workload on teams and drivers and risk greater damage to cars than the current quali sessions. It would also become confusing for the casual fans in the same way that I find the Formula E quali sessions to be confusing. Trying to change the running of GP weekends when it's hard enough to get them to happen in the first place is surely a step too far?

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    I'm not sure I like the fact that Ferrari's development plans are always getting revealed in great detail long before time. I would prefer surprise revelations during testing. But on the other hand, as a fan it's nice to know what the team are planning and working on.
    Haven't you realised it yet? The media play both ways when it comes to the Ferrari engine and the narrative, no matter how detailed it is, changes week to week. 2 weeks ago, everybody said the engine would merely gain only 30HP and 2021 is another year for us to write off. Now they say Ferrari has copied Merc's style. They're using all sorts of narratives and whichever ends up being closer to reality, they'll pretend that, that's the thing they've been saying all along.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

They don't say that we copy Merc for 2021, but for 2022.
    So, they haven't changed their view

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    They don't say that we copy Merc for 2021, but for 2022.
    So, they haven't changed their view
    Exactly, I don’t know where MSC Fan saw that ferrari has stated that in 2021 they’ll have the same stile turbo and compressor as Merc...,I thought that was only coming in 2022
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Not necessarily the same as Merc... just split turbine. Putting compressor in intake box totally original
    But now everyone knows about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    Haven't you realised it yet? The media play both ways when it comes to the Ferrari engine and the narrative, no matter how detailed it is, changes week to week. 2 weeks ago, everybody said the engine would merely gain only 30HP and 2021 is another year for us to write off. Now they say Ferrari has copied Merc's style. They're using all sorts of narratives and whichever ends up being closer to reality, they'll pretend that, that's the thing they've been saying all along.
    Maybe its tactical. Put out a news story about trying a completely new idea, a possible game changer so other teams waste resources on trying and testing the concept, while you know it's a dead end. Or not and the story is true.

Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    If sprint races replace qualifying, it will kill the only good thing left about Monaco.
    You mean that same track where Schumacher started from the pit lane and finished 4th?
    Forza Ferrari

Engine freeze at end of 2021 being reported. Seems a lot of detail still to come out on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    Engine freeze at end of 2021 being reported. Seems a lot of detail still to come out on it though.
    So does that mean our 2021 engine will be the same until 2025? Or is there still a new engine formula for 2022 that will be locked in until 2026? I am confused....why would Ferrari and Alpine agree to another 5 years of Merc dominance? Is Ferrari really that confident of our new PU’s capabilities?
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    So does that mean our 2021 engine will be the same until 2025? Or is there still a new engine formula for 2022 that will be locked in until 2026? I am confused....why would Ferrari and Alpine agree to another 5 years of Merc dominance? Is Ferrari really that confident of our new PU’s capabilities?
    Which engine, the one that’s only supposed to have 30 extra ponies??. I sure wouldn’t be confident with that until 2026.....
    Then what about all the talk from Ferrari building a brand new engine for 2022 with supposedly split turbo and compressor if they cannot even introduce it due to the freeze at the end of 2021.....I’m quite confused

Binotto being, again? What a surpise
    Last edited by Rob; 11th February 2021 at 16:19.

I assume that Ferrari's completely new engine for next year (2022) will carry the team through to the totally new regulations, now brought forward from 2026 to 2025. But it's all a bit confusing, especially if the engines are going to be frozen at the end of 2021, before we even get to use the new one. Clarity is needed.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...paign=widget-1

The freeze has been approved, however the article doesn't have any details or specifics. Isn't the essence of F1 development? It seems crazy to me to design an engine and stop development for 5 years. It is also a huge gamble to make on yourself.

I still don't understand which engine will be frozen...our 2021 engine (this season) or our supposed revolutionary game changing 2022 engine.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Freeze is from 2022 onwards. So next years engine will be used .
    Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I assume that Ferrari's completely new engine for next year (2022) will carry the team through to the totally new regulations, now brought forward from 2026 to 2025. But it's all a bit confusing, especially if the engines are going to be frozen at the end of 2021, before we even get to use the new one. Clarity is needed.

Freeze is due from the start of the 2022 season so I think teams can bring a new engine in 2022 but it would be frozen going forward. So the news about a new 2022 Ferrari engine could be viable.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    That’s exactly what I keep saying and asking....are we now being screwed and stuck with the underpowered 2021 enginefor another 4 or so years??. Or are we allowed to introduce the holy grail of engines at the beginning of 2022

I truly hope Harry Potter hasn’t &&$&#$&$ us again with his spineless backbone that he is....

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    That’s exactly what I keep saying and asking....are we now being screwed and stuck with the underpowered 2021 engine for another 4 or so years??. Or are we allowed to introduce the holy grail of engines at the beginning of 2022

I truly hope Harry Potter hasn’t &&$&#$&$ us again with his spineless backbone that he is....
    The more sites/articles I read, the more I understand we will be stuck with this years engine until 2024. At that point the new cheap, efficient engines with bio-fuels will be introduced. If this is true, Hamilton and/or Merc are guaranteed another 4 titles unless Ferrari creates magic with this years PU. Does Binotto work for Merc or Ferrari?
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Not too fussed about engine freeze. I'm pretty sure our engine is going to be the class of the field again. But I do hope Ferrari isn't going to back down, when we have the class leading engine and others are crying about engine freeze and wanting to lift it.

Wasn't the whole idea of new regulations the chance for parity, for other manufacturers to start fresh and pose a threat to Merc? To removing the boringness of every single pre-determined race outcome that F1 has been for the last 7 years? Why would they stop development just to appease Red Bull? We have 2 teams as well and can threaten to walk just as Red Bull does. This is so deflating.....I hope I am misunderstanding all of this.
    Last edited by ferrari1.8t; 11th February 2021 at 16:50.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Not necessarily the same as Merc... just split turbine. Putting compressor in intake box totally original
    But now everyone knows about it.
    But with engine lock incoming and lead time to do such thing (they must have been developing it for year or two already, it is probably way to late for anyone to even try.