Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 F1 news/rumours

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    There is a rumour that Andy Cowel will be announced by RB this weekend
    Horner has denied said rumor that Cowell will join Redbull.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

The first chassis [2022 Ferrari F1 Car] will be ready by the end of the summer.

Binotto: "At this moment the new single-seater is growing in line with our forecasts."

#Corriere

The 2022 Ferrari car is at an advanced stage of development.

Binotto: "We are at a point where important choices are being made on aerodynamic concepts. In a month's time, they'll be defined and then we'll start producing the first parts."

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    The 2022 Ferrari car is at an advanced stage of development.

Binotto: "We are at a point where important choices are being made on aerodynamic concepts. In a month's time, they'll be defined and then we'll start producing the first parts."
    It's nice to see this, but I also wish that Ferrari wouldn't say too much about what's going on with the F2022.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    It's nice to see this, but I also wish that Ferrari wouldn't say too much about what's going on with the F2022.
    Binotto always skips the current year as far as whats going on. I'm surprised he's not looking just at 2023.

off topic, but very pertinent to the DICTATORIAL way of F1, the fact that F1.com does not allow comments.... frustrating as heck! do they fear what they would read maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
    off topic, but very pertinent to the DICTATORIAL way of F1, the fact that F1.com does not allow comments.... frustrating as heck! do they fear what they would read maybe?
    I hardly look to the official site for any news.
    F1.com has always been biased towards Brits.

If next years PU is a failure, when is our next chance, 2025 or 2026?

Quote Originally Posted by Toothlessrage* View Post
    And don't even get me started on the SKY circus

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    If next years PU is a failure, when is our next chance, 2025 or 2026?
    If there is something fundemetally wrong they allowed to fix the engine (think honda/mclaren a few years back) but if the engine is just a dud like last years engine, we wont be able to change it

Quote Originally Posted by RicRac View Post
    if the engine is just a dud like last years engine, we wont be able to change it
    Yes, I understand that, my question was that if this happens, when we can change PU next time, is it 2025 or 2026?

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Yes, I understand that, my question was that if this happens, when we can change PU next time, is it 2025 or 2026?
    Yip, only when new power unit concept is introduced in 2025

Thanks RicRac.

End of a solid day’s work for Charles Leclerc at PaulRicardTrack with ScuderiaFerrari.
    83 laps on the 2022 F1 18-inch intermediates and 58 laps on the full wets. Back on track tomorrow

Max and Honda are head over heels in doing the best in 2021 and they now are in 1st ! Charles and Carlos need to think the same .

Carlos Sainz and the latest 2022 F1 18-inch wet tyre test at PaulRicardTrack. A total of 167 laps completed today: 75 on intermediates and 92 on full wets

If anyone still is wondering who runs F1...

Wolff Talks:
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i...wolff/6514012/

And Masi listens:
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...-pole/6515091/
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    If anyone still is wondering who runs F1...

Wolff Talks:
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i...wolff/6514012/

And Masi listens:
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...-pole/6515091/
    I wonder what would happen if any of the Mercs caused a red flag situation in Q3.

I wonder what would happen if any of the Mercs caused a red flag situation in Q3.
    Toto would ask for the rules to be changed to allow for a full repair of Hamilton’s car without penalty...for the good of the sport of course
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

They have. Rosberg did it and got away with it. Only hurt his teammate.

It's not as if a driver gets any points for getting pole, so I don't see why they are even discussing it. It may be a different matter if points were at stake. Or they could just extend Q3 to allow another final run once the mess has been cleared up, there were only seconds left when Charles crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Or they could just extend Q3 to allow another final run once the mess has been cleared up, there were only seconds left when Charles crashed.
    That would be fair.

To be precise: the driver and the ‘adopted’ manfacturer (read: MB)

It's not as if a driver gets any points for getting pole, so I don't see why they are even discussing it. It may be a different matter if points were at stake. Or they could just extend Q3 to allow another final run once the mess has been cleared up, there were only seconds left when Charles crashed.
    Anything that could hurt Ferrari is something that Toto would discuss. Simple as that. Does not have to be points, it can be simple as "look, he did it intentionally, so next time they are not gonna get away with it" but at the same time "of course we're not claiming Charles did it intentionally".
    He just lets it there, for the trolls to have something to talk about.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

The way I see it whether it's Q1, Q2 or Q3, the teams run their times in the beginning of the session......then there's a lull......then the teams run their times towards the end of the session.

In other words, there's alot of time in either session for a driver to run their best times. I understand it's different when the track is drying(rain) OR the sun is setting(night race) due to track evolution.

Ferrari: Baku simulations do not raise too many hopes

The numbers speak for themselves: Ferrari looks to the Azerbaijan GP with great realism. The Cavallino simulations make it quite clear that on the Baku track the SF21 will not have a brilliant approach like the fans have been able to appreciate in the Principality.

“Now begins a part of the season that promises to be complicated for us - admitted Laurent Mekies, Ferrari sporting director -. If in Spain the SF21 was clearly the third force on the field and in Monaco it even showed the potential to win, the situation should be different in the next matches, starting with Baku ”.

We have repeatedly stressed the fact that the correlation of data between the wind tunnel, the track and the simulator, allowed the Scuderia to immediately deploy the Reds with the ability to show their true potential.

If the indications that emerged from Spain and Monaco confirmed the positive forecasts of the last two GPs, we must also take the simulation data for the citizen of Baku as good as they do not feed too many hopes of repeating what has been appreciated in the Principality.

The long straight in the citizen of Baku certainly does not play in favor of the SF21, while a McLaren on the ball is expected, more than ever convinced of defending the third position in the Constructors' World Championship ...
    “Already this weekend we expect a very strong McLaren - continued Mekies -, which should adapt very well to the characteristics of the circuit and therefore assume the leadership of the group behind the two teams fighting for the world championship. Just as we believe that Alpine, AlphaTauri and Aston Martin will also be very competitive ”.

In short, the Ferrari that challenged Mercedes and Red Bull openly in Monaco is destined to fight in the center group, where the difference of even a tenth is capable of making a great selection ...
    “The main objective on our part will be to express all the potential available and try to make the most of every opportunity. To use a football metaphor, we will try to make a good defense and hit on the counterattack ”.

The Scuderia fans do not have to think about the pole position won by Charles Leclerc in Monte Carlo, but will have to think in more utilitarian terms to keep third place in the Constructors' classification within range.

In the last two GPs, Ferrari has benefited from the excellent work done by the team in understanding the Pirelli tires: it will be interesting to find out what the Reds will behave on a track that, at least on paper, should not be in favor of the SF21.

Ferrari: Baku simulations do not raise too many hopes

The numbers speak for themselves: Ferrari looks to the Azerbaijan GP with great realism. The Cavallino simulations make it quite clear that on the Baku track the SF21 will not have a brilliant approach like the fans have been able to appreciate in the Principality.

“Now begins a part of the season that promises to be complicated for us - admitted Laurent Mekies, Ferrari sporting director -. If in Spain the SF21 was clearly the third force on the field and in Monaco it even showed the potential to win, the situation should be different in the next matches, starting with Baku ”.

We have repeatedly stressed the fact that the correlation of data between the wind tunnel, the track and the simulator, allowed the Scuderia to immediately deploy the Reds with the ability to show their true potential.

If the indications that emerged from Spain and Monaco confirmed the positive forecasts of the last two GPs, we must also take the simulation data for the citizen of Baku as good as they do not feed too many hopes of repeating what has been appreciated in the Principality.

The long straight in the citizen of Baku certainly does not play in favor of the SF21, while a McLaren on the ball is expected, more than ever convinced of defending the third position in the Constructors' World Championship ...
    “Already this weekend we expect a very strong McLaren - continued Mekies -, which should adapt very well to the characteristics of the circuit and therefore assume the leadership of the group behind the two teams fighting for the world championship. Just as we believe that Alpine, AlphaTauri and Aston Martin will also be very competitive ”.

In short, the Ferrari that challenged Mercedes and Red Bull openly in Monaco is destined to fight in the center group, where the difference of even a tenth is capable of making a great selection ...
    “The main objective on our part will be to express all the potential available and try to make the most of every opportunity. To use a football metaphor, we will try to make a good defense and hit on the counterattack ”.

The Scuderia fans do not have to think about the pole position won by Charles Leclerc in Monte Carlo, but will have to think in more utilitarian terms to keep third place in the Constructors' classification within range.

In the last two GPs, Ferrari has benefited from the excellent work done by the team in understanding the Pirelli tires: it will be interesting to find out what the Reds will behave on a track that, at least on paper, should not be in favor of the SF21.
    In much less words. we'll suck big time!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    In much less words. we'll suck big time!
    yup....sad but true

If Ferrari comes up with a good drive shaft, gear box and the cars pull into the pit straight, we may just get a podium!!! And... if Binotto forgets what year it is!

Ferrari ushers in a turnaround

The plan back to success

Ferrari had a car capable of winning in Monte Carlo. You shouldn't expect that in Baku. Nevertheless, the upward trend at Ferrari is unmistakable. Third place is not a utopia. But how did this turnaround succeed? We have analyzed the most important success factors.

The announcement by Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto at the Christmas speech sounded bold: "Ferrari must be able to fight for third place again." In 2020, the oldest Formula 1 racing team was 79 points away and on average half a second per lap. And the possibilities to change something on the car were limited due to the homologation regulations and the reduced wind tunnel time.

But after five races this season, one can say. Ferrari is well on the way to delivering on its promise. Last year's World Cup sixth cut the gap to the top in half and, together with McLaren, set himself apart from the rest of the midfield.

The two traditional teams will make third place among themselves. The last trend speaks for Ferrari. The Reds have been catching up on McLaren since the Spanish GP. Which is also due to the fact that Daniel Ricciardo is not really getting going. Now only two points are missing from the final podium.

Old team, new structures

In Monte Carlo, Ferrari even had a car capable of winning. But that was due to the racetrack. Mercedes engineers already recognized in the first four races from the GPS measurements that Ferrari had the fastest car on average in the corners. Especially in the slow ones. The deficit of 20 hp on Mercedes and Honda did not hurt with only 56 percent full load share in Monte Carlo.

It was not yet a permanent resurrection, but a powerful sign of life from the fallen giant. The foundation for the trend reversal was already laid in the darkest hours of the 2020 season. When it was clear that Ferrari would not win a flowerpot, team boss Mattia Binotto swept through the hallowed halls in Maranello with the iron broom. Surely also to save your own head.

A team like Ferrari must not sink into mediocrity in the long run. Binotto's top boss John Elkann had demanded: "Ferrari's claim must be to win races." His recipe: old team, new structures. A middle ground between the carrot and the stick.

The distribution of responsibility over many shoulders. Setting priorities and relentless error analysis. Back to the mentality that every detail is important. Problems are addressed and not hushed up. You could say it is a copy of the Mercedes success system.

Ferrari can rely on data again

The important decisions were all made in summer 2020. Ferrari built a completely new drive unit. While last year they were still clearly behind Mercedes, Honda and Renault, they have now caught up with Renault, maintaining the gap to Honda and reducing the gap to Mercedes.

Experts estimate Ferrari's deficit in the combustion engine to be 15 to 20 hp. On the other hand, Ferrari is already ahead in terms of electric drive. The charging mode is activated later on the straights than with the competition.

Ferrari also bet on the right horse when it came to renovating the car. Contrary to the trend, the engineers developed until late in the season in 2020 to see whether the errors of the SF1000 had been correctly interpreted, whether the countermeasures were bearing fruit and whether the correlation between the racetrack and wind tunnel was better than in the past. "It was important to me that we could rely on our data again," explains Binotto.

So Ferrari was able to work through its weak points from the previous year step by step: The high air resistance of the car, the lack of aerodynamic stability, which robbed the drivers of confidence in the car, the heavy tire wear. "Leclerc praises:" The new car is much easier to drive than the old one. "

Better the stern than the nose

On the chassis side, Ferrari chose the right token. "A slimmer rear brought us more than a slimmer nose," reveals a Ferrari man. Thanks to the new gearbox, the rear axle could also be steered as high as Mercedes and Red Bull do. This improves the flow on the roof of the diffuser.

In general, the engineers have again concentrated more on aerodynamic efficiency and stability. The SF21 produces much less "dirty" downforce than its predecessor. He no longer has the luxury of engine power in abundance.

Ferrari also upgraded in all other areas. The pit stops have become more constant and faster. The racing strategy is more conservative and therefore less prone to errors. The team of tire engineers was enlarged, the digital tire models improved, the drivers were trained in long meetings with the engineers to read their tires more precisely, to prepare them more precisely for the decisive qualifying lap and to conserve them better in the race.

If the tires do overheat, as in Bahrain, or the drivers approach the stints too aggressively, as in Portugal, more efficient analysis tools are now available to identify and correct errors. In Barcelona and Monte Carlo, no team kept their tires in the window as well, lit them as quickly without ruining them in the endurance run as Ferrari.

Better prepared for the racetrack

Maranello also put a lot of work into the simulations over the winter. It quickly became clear that one hour less training time meant less data from the track. Today in the second training session there is only time for one long run per driver. And that is usually shorter than in previous years.

So a lot depends on how well prepared the engineers travel to the track and how they organize the weekend. That also paid off in Monte Carlo. "We had confidence in our car from the first lap and hardly changed it afterwards. That was the key," said Leclerc and Sainz. The team said: "We were no better than usual in Monte Carlo. The others were worse prepared."

This trend could already be observed on new routes in 2020. Ferrari did better in Mugello, Portimao, Imola and Istanbul relative to other circuits. It wasn't because of the car, but because of better planning.

The focus is already on the 2022 car

Despite the bloody nose that Maranello got during the trickery with the engine, the engineers continue to push the rules to the limit of what is allowed. Ferrari is one of the teams that have to restore the rear wing because it bends too much. According to Ferrari, however, with minimal consequences. Among the benders, one obviously belonged to the less radical faction. Binotto doesn't understand the excitement. "Motorsport means going to the limit everywhere."

With Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz, Ferrari relies on young drivers who can still show the experience of 186 GP starts. Long-term contracts with the pilots guarantee continuity. The mood is no longer as charged as between Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel, where one wanted to drive away the top dog and the other saw a threat in the young colleague. Which sometimes led to disobedience in the stable management.

Binotto is satisfied that things are heading in the right direction. "More important than the results is to show that we have improved in all areas. We are able to recognize our weaknesses and remedy them. Nothing happens overnight, but we are on the right way back to the top. "

Most of the engineering office is already working on the car for 2022, which will be so different in its foundations that practically nothing can be taken over. There is no longer a fixed plan for the development steps on the SF21. The next parts are already in the production loop. And if the engineers can think of anything else that is worthwhile, they just do it.

https://translate.google.com/transla...search&pto=aue