Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Pre Season Testing [12-14 March]

Let's see what package will have in 2 weeks.
    Then we will know.
    But my uneducated prediction is that we will fight with AT and AM. For 4th. RB will fight for the championship this year and I really hope that LH looses cleanly from any one, I don't care even if it's Max.

From testing only at this point 4th or 5th at best looks like we have moved possibly 2 places up the grid.Red bull looks good will definitely take the fight to mercedes and probably win.Lets see what ferrari provide in 2 weeks time as there race number 1 package.

Alpine boss has said theres not a midfield this year theres a field. Could be similar to the 1st half of 2013? I see Ferrari fighting for 3rd best but at any given track could be anywhere from 5th to missing q1, same for the others. RB appear great but Ferrari have finished testing where they are just for Merc to squash them. One team I think will fall short of expectation is Aston Martin, I think they will fight Alfa Romeo behind the rest except for William's and Haas.

We'll definitely have updates in two weeks' time. Let's hope it's a good car.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    Alpine boss has said theres not a midfield this year theres a field. Could be similar to the 1st half of 2013? I see Ferrari fighting for 3rd best but at any given track could be anywhere from 5th to missing q1, same for the others. RB appear great but Ferrari have finished testing where they are just for Merc to squash them. One team I think will fall short of expectation is Aston Martin, I think they will fight Alfa Romeo behind the rest except for William's and Haas.
    Missing Q1 would be horrific, mate. Even the worst qualifying performance last year (Vettel at Monza 2020) was better because he didn't actually get knocked out on merit and only due to the shenanigans in qualifying.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

https://i.redd.it/mf7xmhvih4n61.jpg

Aston Martin is acting way too smug for a team that couldn't manage 1 day of testing without reliability issues.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    And you know that how?

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Is this a statement or an assumption?

Binotto said in one of the testing days interview that there were yet some parts that they would run and would also expect others to run but will only do that since the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    Binotto said in one of the testing days interview that there were yet some parts that they would run and would also expect others to run but will only do that since the start of the season.
    Oh cool!
    Hope it works out!

Quote Originally Posted by Toothlessrage* View Post
    Is this a statement or an assumption?
    He said that we can't make any predictions from these 3 days of testing and that the cars will change for the 1st race. Was he talking about us too ,or just the others , we will know in 2 weeks!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Missing Q1 would be horrific, mate. Even the worst qualifying performance last year (Vettel at Monza 2020) was better because he didn't actually get knocked out on merit and only due to the shenanigans in qualifying.
    Meant Q3.

Some helpful videos from Jolyon Palmer

F1 Explained: Testing Technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea2YKsWWJgM

F1 Explained: How Does Telemetry Data Help Teams Go Faster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW31u4gFFeE&t=483s
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    Meant Q3.

A reliable source reported (Giuliano Duchessa),

- Ferrari recovered more than 40 hp.
    - Mercedes is very sensitive to the setup
    - Redbull is the most ready team (so far)

Also, please dont look at testing times. AT was on C5 tyres and they were running DRS even before the pitentry

Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

Also, please dont look at testing times. AT was on C5 tyres and they were running DRS even before the pitentry
    I trust Duchessa. He's the only Ferrari insider who actually has some reliable source.

40HP+ gain from the ICE alone is an impressive improvement. Then there are things like better cooling, better thermal efficiency, fuels and so on that add more performance.

Ha, twice as much as that fraud Martin Brundle reported it out to be. The Shell optimisation is worth 0.1 second which again is roughly equivalent to 10hp of extra power. That's effectively 50hp.

Ha, twice as much as that fraud Martin Brundle reported it out to be. The Shell optimisation is worth 0.1 second which again is roughly equivalent to 10hp of extra power. That's effectively 50hp.

Let's be patient and wait two more weeks to see the packing order!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Let's be patient and wait two more weeks to see the packing order!
    yep!!!!! Qualifying will be key. Engines turned up with limited fuel.

So let’s say arbitrarily that we did gain 50hp with the new engine and new shell fuel.....how much did the so called “experts” were saying that we were trailing the Merc last year ??? Was it 50hp or 60??

If it was 50, and we’ve heard the rumours that Merc has improved the engine by 20hp for 2021.....that means we’re still down 20 ponies this year compared to them.....

Big question is how will our new engine compare to Honda??. As we all know that they have brought forward the 2022 spec sooner in 2021....$o will our new engine have about the same power as theirs, or more or maybe less.....

Thoughts??.

My thought is that Ferrari would not benchmark 1 year old engines. I think that they have set their goals based on what HP manufacturers will bring this year. If Binotto thinks they have met all their goals and that they would not be the worst engine, then they need to be in very close range to the Mercs.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    I trust Duchessa. He's the only Ferrari insider who actually has some reliable source.

40HP+ gain from the ICE alone is an impressive improvement. Then there are things like better cooling, better thermal efficiency, fuels and so on that add more performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    So let’s say arbitrarily that we did gain 50hp with the new engine and new shell fuel.....how much did the so called “experts” were saying that we were trailing the Merc last year ??? Was it 50hp or 60??

If it was 50, and we’ve heard the rumours that Merc has improved the engine by 20hp for 2021.....that means we’re still down 20 ponies this year compared to them.....

Big question is how will our new engine compare to Honda??. As we all know that they have brought forward the 2022 spec sooner in 2021....$o will our new engine have about the same power as theirs, or more or maybe less.....

Thoughts??.
    This reliable source stated "ALLEGED greater than 40hp" and I stress the word ALLEGED.

Nothing definitive. So IMO it's a maybe or a guess.

As Stefa mentioned, let's wait till qualifying.

My guess at pecking order Red bull, mclaren mercedes ferrari the make up of the top four closely followed by Aston Martin , Alfa Hass,etc to start the years f1 procession.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    My guess at pecking order Red bull, mclaren mercedes ferrari the make up of the top four closely followed by Aston Martin , Alfa Hass,etc to start the years f1 procession.
    WOW, you actually think that Red bull is better than Mercedes??. You’ve got another thing coming and you’re gonna be pretty disappointed come first race.....

And yiu also think that McLaren better then Mercedes also???

You’ve got it all wrong mate....I think it’s Merc, Red bull, McLaren, Ferrari, AM, and then the rest which I don’t really care

Time will tell iam sure that you do not pocess a crystal ball so I turn mate as we say down under you may have it completely wrong your self, but we must admit it is fun guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    My thought is that Ferrari would not benchmark 1 year old engines. I think that they have set their goals based on what HP manufacturers will bring this year. If Binotto thinks they have met all their goals and that they would not be the worst engine, then they need to be in very close range to the Mercs.
    Bob you are saying Binotto shows optimism ! That does it for me !! Podiums for sure. Ferrari can never do a repeat of 2020. Charles has to be feeling stronger than ever with his car.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post

Thoughts??.
    The 2017 car was 20hp down as well and suffered from reliability issues. If SF21 has a good aero and is reliable, it has the potential to fight for wins. A championship might be too far fetched though.

On Mercedes

Marc Surer says Mercedes has a balance issue.

“The car will be fast, it will stay fast,” he told Formel1.de.

“My theory is this, a flat car like the Aston Martin or the Mercedes has the centre of downforce nicely centred under the car. Because of the cut, they lose downforce in the rear and the centre of downforce moves forward as a result. This puts the car out of balance.

“For me it’s just a balance problem that they need to get to grips with. Pressure has moved forward. And now the cars have oversteer. That means the rear end is getting loose as a result.”

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Someone hasn't learned any lessons since 2014 I see. Mercedes are masters of sand-bagging and come Bahrain will be 1 second faster than the rest. Happy to be proved wrong, but I have had too much optimism past pre-seasons only to be squashed come the first race.