Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2021 Predictions

Although two races are behind us, I still think these are early days to definite answer if McLaren is faster than Ferrari. In Bahrain, yes, they were faster than us. But in Imola it was another way around. We still have straight line speed disadvantage, but in these "slower" tracks we should be fine. Not the best of course, but ahed of McLaren. We shall se in Barcelona, Monaco, Singapore etc. There are still 20 races to go.
    I think the main reason why Leclerc couldn't overtake Norris is because it is difficult to overtake in Imola. Even Hamilton was stuck behind Leclerc for like what, 6,7 laps or something like that. The cars are increadibly wide, much wider than in 2000s and Imola didn't widen since then.

3rd is very possible ferrari looking for hundredths of a second.Engine wise most teams are pretty close as shown to date.The hybrid era has reached virtual saturation point.I have this feeling that ferrari are a lot more advanced on 2022 car.The 2019 engine and its mapping is tied into the new regs for 2022 hence the confidential settlement.I expect ferrari to be back on top firmly in 2022, this year will be solid with huge amounts of improvement compared to the disaster of 2020.The punishment is a blessing in disguise.

They're doing a lot of testing so hopefully this is a plan for preparing for next year. Maybe fine tuning correlation or testing new solutions. Nice to see them taking advantage of the track in their backyard.

Exactly why have the facility and not use it and the only team in f1 with its own privately owned track thats gold.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    3rd is very possible ferrari looking for hundredths of a second.Engine wise most teams are pretty close as shown to date.The hybrid era has reached virtual saturation point.I have this feeling that ferrari are a lot more advanced on 2022 car.The 2019 engine and its mapping is tied into the new regs for 2022 hence the confidential settlement.I expect ferrari to be back on top firmly in 2022, this year will be solid with huge amounts of improvement compared to the disaster of 2020.The punishment is a blessing in disguise.
    Excuse me?
    Q. What do yoy mean by tied into the new regs?

I mean some aspects of the 2019 engine which was controversial ferrari wanted safe guarded this was part of the settlement with the fia.They might use aspects of the 2019 engine moving foward in 2022.Thats what I mean.

Ok, but this doesn't explain why they didn't fit the 2018 engine in the 2019 car.
    Or why those parts are notin the 2020 engine.
    Or, or, or...
    As fans we have a lot of questions exactly because the settlement was secret.

True.The 64 million dollar question is why it is a very protected settlement.As fans we are all very curious.

We slip to off topic now, but I tend to believe what Ferrari stated: not to reveal the engine's design.
    Last edited by tpe; 28th April 2021 at 16:37.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    After 2 days of testing, let's hear your 2021 F1 predictions.

WCC:

1 - Mercedes
    2 - Red Bull Racing
    3 - McLaren
    4 - Aston Martin
    5 - Ferrari
    6 - AlphaTauri
    7 - Alpine
    8 - Alfa Romeo
    9 - Haas
    10 - Williams

WCC notes:
    - Mercedes had BY FAR best car of 2020. 2021 cars are all just an extension of 2020 cars. Mercedes floor looks to be the most advanced, which should be the biggest area to develop this season.
    -RBR again should have amazing chassis. Max Verstappen is the best driver. Perez should always be able to get points, even if not much of a challenge to Max.
    - McLaren now has Mercedes power. Their trick diffuser should be an advantage for the first couple races. Ricciardo is a stud and should be an upgrade over an already strong driver line up.
    - Aston Martin. Looks like Mr Stroll wrote another check to Mercedes for all their aero innovations for 2021. Should be a podium challenger for the first 3-4 races at least. If the car has balance I expect Vettel to get back to form. Lance Stroll is still a bottom level driver.
    - Ferrari gets a supposed significant PU upgrade. It will not be worth 2 seconds a lap to get up with Mercedes or RBR. I have to believe the PU may only get on par with Honda or Alpine, could still very well be the worst PU on the grid. The chassis should be as good as McLaren, but their nose is already 2 or 3 seasons behind the times. Ferrari sadly isn't known for being efficient, and have always had an enormous budget. With a $145m budget cap this year, I think Ferrari's development program could struggle.
    - AlphaTauri will get the hand downs from RBR big brother. They do great work with a mediocre budget, so budget cap fit their program nicely.
    - Alpine has one of the greatest drivers of all time in Alonso, but nobody steps away from F1 and comes back in the same form. Secondly they have no engine development support which means any reliability issues will be costly to fix. Their car has a very different aero approach than the rest. Rarely does that ever prove to be a home run when it comes from a mid pack team.
    - Alfa Romeo has not a great chassis, not a great engine, but good driver experience.
    - Haas also not a great chassis, not a great engine, and has 2 rookies. I expect plenty of mistakes
    - Williams has new funding and one can hope they make another large step to at least fight with the bottom 3. Russell appears to be an elite talent, but that only goes so far if the car is rubbish

WDC:
    1 - Hamilton
    2 - Bottas
    3 - Verstappen
    4 - Ricciardo
    5 - Perez
    6 - Vettel
    7 - Leclerc
    8 - Lando

Teammate battles:

Mercedes - Hamilton > Bottas
    Red Bull - Max > Perez
    McLaren - Ricciardo > Lando
    Aston Martin - Vettel > Stroll
    Ferrari - Leclerc > Sainz
    AlphaTauri - Gasly > Yuki
    Apline - Alonso > Ocon
    Alfa Romeo - Giovinazzi > Kimi
    Haas - Schumacher > Mazepin
    Williams - Russell > Latifi
    How did we do in our predictions?

Actual:

1 - Mercedes
    2 - Red Bull Racing
    3 - Ferrari
    4 - McLaren
    5 - Alpine
    6 - AlphaTauri
    7 - Aston Martin
    8 - Williams
    9 - Alfa Romeo
    10 - Haas

WCC notes:
    - Mercedes won, but if Perez performed a bit better at the beginning of the season and had a little more luck at the end, Red Bull could have captured that championship as well.
    - A great surprise to see Ferrari work their way to 3rd place. McLaren had the better car for much of the first half of the season, especially with their Mercedes engine, but Ferrari had the better car at the end, and I believe the better driver line up.
    - Aston Martin has to be the biggest disappointment. It shows you can't just buy everything and expect results.
    - I didn't expect Haas to be that bad, but to be fair they openly said they were not going to develop the car at all during the season.

WDC:
    1 - Verstappen
    2 - Hamilton
    3 - Bottas
    4 - Perez
    5 - Sainz
    6 - Norris
    7 - Leclerc
    8 - Ricciardo
    9 - Gasly
    10 - Alonso

Happily wrong for the top 3. A big miss with Ricciardo and Lando Had he performed closer to his norm, I still think Lando beats him.

Teammate battles:

Mercedes - Hamilton > Bottas - no surprise there
    Red Bull - Max > Perez - this was a lock
    McLaren - Lando > Ricciardo - Riccardo was WAY off his teammate
    Aston Martin - Vettel > Stroll - not as big of a gap as I expected
    Ferrari - Sainz > Leclerc - bit of a shock here. We know Leclerc had some bad luck, but Sainz did a lot better than expected
    AlphaTauri - Gasly > Yuki - Gasly was the MVP of 2021, Yuki was a flop if you ask me.
    Alpine - Alonso > Ocon - a close battle. Maybe Alonso isn't quite what he was, but Ocon is no slouch.
    Alfa Romeo - Kimi > Giovinazzi - Kimi still able to perform in the races, even though he wasn't very motivated in his last season.
    Haas - Schumacher > Mazepin - Nikita is probably the worst driver on the grid, but I think Mick earned Rookie of the year
    Williams - Russell > Latifi - Finally some points for these guys. Strangely, my judgement of how good Russell is actually reduced over 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    How did we do in our predictions?

Actual:

1 - Mercedes
    2 - Red Bull Racing
    3 - Ferrari
    4 - McLaren
    5 - Alpine
    6 - AlphaTauri
    7 - Aston Martin
    8 - Williams
    9 - Alfa Romeo
    10 - Haas

WCC notes:
    - Mercedes won, but if Perez performed a bit better at the beginning of the season and had a little more luck at the end, Red Bull could have captured that championship as well.
    - A great surprise to see Ferrari work their way to 3rd place. McLaren had the better car for much of the first half of the season, especially with their Mercedes engine, but Ferrari had the better car at the end, and I believe the better driver line up.
    - Aston Martin has to be the biggest disappointment. It shows you can't just buy everything and expect results.
    - I didn't expect Haas to be that bad, but to be fair they openly said they were not going to develop the car at all during the season.

WDC:
    1 - Verstappen
    2 - Hamilton
    3 - Bottas
    4 - Perez
    5 - Sainz
    6 - Norris
    7 - Leclerc
    8 - Ricciardo
    9 - Gasly
    10 - Alonso

Happily wrong for the top 3. A big miss with Ricciardo and Lando Had he performed closer to his norm, I still think Lando beats him.

Teammate battles:

Mercedes - Hamilton > Bottas - no surprise there
    Red Bull - Max > Perez - this was a lock
    McLaren - Lando > Ricciardo - Riccardo was WAY off his teammate
    Aston Martin - Vettel > Stroll - not as big of a gap as I expected
    Ferrari - Sainz > Leclerc - bit of a shock here. We know Leclerc had some bad luck, but Sainz did a lot better than expected
    AlphaTauri - Gasly > Yuki - Gasly was the MVP of 2021, Yuki was a flop if you ask me.
    Alpine - Alonso > Ocon - a close battle. Maybe Alonso isn't quite what he was, but Ocon is no slouch.
    Alfa Romeo - Kimi > Giovinazzi - Kimi still able to perform in the races, even though he wasn't very motivated in his last season.
    Haas - Schumacher > Mazepin - Nikita is probably the worst driver on the grid, but I think Mick earned Rookie of the year
    Williams - Russell > Latifi - Finally some points for these guys. Strangely, my judgement of how good Russell is actually reduced over 2021.
    Pretty surprised with the performance of Ricciardo, but I don't think he's lost his mojo.
    Surprised too with Sainz, I knew he'd be strong and consistent to pose a challenge to Leclerc. But, I never thought he'd be able to outscore Leclerc.

Great predictions though