Thread: 2021 Portuguese Grand Prix: Post Qualifying Analysis

2021 Portuguese Grand Prix: Post Qualifying Analysis

The track surface around Autodromo Internacional do Algarve – more known as Portima, continues to throw a few curve balls. For those that remember, when F1 returned to Portugal last year in the wacky 2020 season, the track surface was completely repaved, but the track grip was extremely low. The smooth surface seems to remain low grip but also the nature of the track seems to mean tire warm up is an issue. It was fascinating to watch some teams do 2 warm up laps, and some do a lap, then recharge for a 2nd lap. Then there was the tire choice between medium and softs, and it seemed like the track grip just fell away in qualifying 3. So let's go through the teams.

Mercedes, not really surprising to see them 1-2. I think at Imola when Hamilton was going through the field, he showed the true pace of the W12. It may be track and temperature dependent, but when that car is in it's zone, I think it's the class of the field. The time Hamilton set in Q2 on Medium tires was alarming. Very surprised they couldn't fire up the tires in Q3, but it was still pole. Their race pace on mediums might be very scary.

Red Bull Racing. Max had a pole time on the board even with the mistake that put him out of bounds in turn 4. But those are the rules and he had a second shot at it, but unfortunately couldn't reproduce the time. Couldn't even get green in a single sector. Perez a solid performance in P4

Sainz did a fantastic job in qualifying. Being only the 3rd race and outqualifying Leclerc is a nice feather in his cap, even if Leclerc said he just drove poorly in Q3. It still counts. It's great to see Ferrari looking relatively competitive. They should be there battling it out as the 3rd best team on Sunday.

Ocon gets my vote as the best performance in Qualifying. P6 in a car that shouldn't be there. Usually it is Alonso that puts in such performances, yet he is down in 13th. In Q2 Ocon was 9 tenths faster than Alonso!

Mclaren I think have more pace than their starting grid shows, at least in the hands of Lando. Ricciardo's performances seem to keep dropping, which may start to have a hit on his confidence. I expect Lando to be battling with the Ferrari's in the race.

AlphaTauri still strong in qualifying with Gasly reaching Q3 again. Yuki still learning of course. I am still waiting to see their outright pace get translated into a good race performance. I can't help think that won't come this weekend, but they should be in the battle for points.

Aston Martin. Who isn't happy to see Vettel in Q3?! I was just talking with some people how he has pretty much solidified himself as a bottom 5 driver, so it's great to see him put up such a performance. Perhaps this will give him some confidence to get back to form. Could we see Stroll battle it out with Alonso tomorrow?

Williams: George Russell again was super impressive on a Saturday. I think it is fair to say Williams as a team have made steps forward over the last 18 months, and also some of the competition has gotten worse. But George always seems to set a blistering lap on Saturday. Still doubtful he gets a point though.

Alfa Romeo don't appear to have enough pace once again. They will need some help in the race by way of DNF's or penalties by other drivers to have a chance at points. Even though they are second to last in speed, they are only a few tenths away, which isn't too bad. They could be the vultures of the race for sure.

Haas. Oh boy. The usual last place. I really thought Schumacher would have a larger gap over Mazepin, even though 1/2 a second is a lot. The real entertainment will be if Mazepin can keep his car from spinning out during the race. Anyone want to take bets on which lap he does?

Bottas #1 Lewis #2 ! Definitely no Rubenization there. They are allowed to race each other. If ever Bottas would have had to move over it was now. " The Car "just could not beat him.

Dont remember anyone ever.being asked to move over during qualy. But pretty sure Bottas will have a bad pit stop or 2 if hes leading and ham is behind. Same strategy they used to keep Russel from winning.

Mercedes excitement when Bottas claimed pole position.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Bottas #1 Lewis #2 ! Definitely no Rubenization there. They are allowed to race each other. If ever Bottas would have had to move over it was now. " The Car "just could not beat him.
    They are not allowed to race each other. I can't believe that they will allow Bottas to win. Tyre pressure will be not optimal, pit stop just a bit slower or a lap or two off-line etc
    From the TV it looks like Bottas is already out of the team on 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Dont remember anyone ever.being asked to move over during qualy. But pretty sure Bottas will have a bad pit stop or 2 if hes leading and ham is behind. Same strategy they used to keep Russel from winning.
    Russell winning n . This forum in general has more to say positive about Russell than Carlos. He's Williams!!!! Merc !!!! He says it's wind that keeps him and his car out of the points every race. This Bottas pole has millions more fans watching the race. Money talks for sure. I also can't remember it being said out loud that anyone moved over during Quali. Todt was smart enough to keep it off the radio. 19 more chances @ 100 poles' 100 wins 8 WDCs . If any of that happens too soon , the fan swill switch to football. F-1 is great! Saintz vs Charles is what Ferrari fans need to see! Podiums; points !!! Who knows; maybe a win!!!

I can see Lewis passing Bottas right at the start.

When Bottas got pole, Toto's reaction
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYyNf2Qh9yE