Thread: 2021 Monaco Grand Pix: Post Race Analysis

2021 Monaco Grand Pix: Post Race Analysis

Sadly the Monaco Grand Prix remains perhaps the most boring race in the world. But there was brief moments of interest. Unfortunately the director for the broadcast feed did not get fired, as he cut away from the only true action in the entire race. The opening stint of saving tires and nobody even trying to pressure other drivers made the fast forward button a necessity.

Red Bull had a perfect race, even if a large portion was down to misfortune of others. As expected, if Leclerc could not keep his pole position, Max would run away. Despite a poor start, once Max had position out of turn 1, it was game over from there. Perez had a fantastic stint to leapfrog into 4th.

Ferrari deserved a good result as they proved to be fast since the opening practice. Carlos Sainz drove as good as he could. 2nd place could be the highest finishing position Ferrari gets all season, so he and the team should be proud. As for Leclerc, the team is saying it was not a gearbox problem, and that the problem came from the left rear of the car and was not a result of the crash in Qualifying. Either Ferrari have found some new incompetence, or something is a little bit fishy. A very sad moment as I think Leclerc had a legit shot for a win, or at least it would have been very exciting to see the battle against Max.

McLaren has to be thankful to have Lando Norris. Even when he complained the car was awful on hard tires, he stayed quick, and kept the car out of the wall and earned a podium. Daniel Ricciardo I think is starting to suffer from confidence in the car, and at Monaco if you don't have confidence and can't find your rhythm, you are likely going to struggle... and he did.

Aston Martin had a great result. Both drivers in the points, Vettel showed the best moments of driving of anyone. His laps before pitting were fast, and his exit out of the pits was incredible and vital to finishing 5th. Stroll made his strategy work very well and the team executed the strategies beautifully for both drivers.

AlphaTauri relied on Gasly for a result and he really came through. Yuki had some struggles in the race, but it didn't mean anything as he was the last car to stay ahead of the Williams and Haas cars.

Mercedes had a dreadful race. It's not often that they make mistakes, but when they do they really bugger it up badly. Hamilton's poor qualifying put him in a bad position, and their strategy to undercut was absolutely wrong and cost him 3 positions. Fortunately for Hamilton, the team was not able to secure a lug nut on Bottas' car before the race which locked up and forced a DNF. I can understand cross threading a lug nut during a pitstop, but not before the race.

Alpine was much better in the race than in qualifying. The team said they could not fire up the tires in qualifying, but it meant they were easy on the tires in the race. Unfortunately for them, Monaco is all about qualifying. Ocon earned his points, Alonso had no where to go because of his poor qualifying performance.

Alfa Romeo could be team of the race. Generally speaking they are the 8th best team on a good day, sometimes getting beaten by Russell in a Williams. But today 10th and 11th. That point could almost feel like a win to them.

Williams were in a race of their own. Not even Russell could show anything amazing.

Haas had a double finish... a success! Mick Schumacher may have had the only on track pass in the entire race, which he did on his teammate on lap 1. What was strange was Schumacher had a decent lead over Mazepin, then all of a sudden he was behind. Did the team give Mazepin a favorable strategy and pit him last, was there a mistake we didn't see? I'd like to know.

Driver of the Race: Sebastien Vettel. The only driver that had to push to the maximum to take a position. As mentioned earlier, his hot laps going into the pitstop, and his attack out of the pit lane and aggressive driving up the hill secured that position. Not only did that get him in front of Gasly, but without Vettel's hard driving, he could have landed behind Hamilton.

Forget the Monaco Charles mistake, Binotto is only thinking 2022 ! Besides respecting Charles and Carlos' driving I hope they also have patience!

I know Carlos drove a solid race, but I won't be satisfied with P2 when we had a real chance of winning. I won't be binotto-ized

Quote Originally Posted by roddick_andy View Post
    Not surprising at all the #BlessedOne throwing his team under the bus. What happened to "We win as a team, we lose as a team."

Compare that with Leclerc's reaction when Ferrari messes up. Leclerc has more humility.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Not surprising at all the #BlessedOne throwing his team under the bus. What happened to "We win as a team, we lose as a team."

Compare that with Leclerc's reaction when Ferrari messes up. Leclerc has more humility.
    All I can say to that is,, WOW.

So about the race. Good post as always, SS454.

I have no problems with what happened. I would have risked it if i even thought there was only a 20% chance he finishes the race. In this particular year, a 20% at a win at Monaco is better than riding Norris' gearbox for 78 laps.

But here's the thing. Ferrari and Binotto said they would NOT gamble. So even after saying they would not gamble, they checked everything, thought it was Ok, and STILL sent Charles out!. So either Binotto and Ferrari lied and still gambled. Or they did a poor job checking the car and didn't check the left hand side of the car (which is what it sounds like).

You guys tell me if I'm being overly critical or nitpicking. But that's the only issue I have with the outcome of this weekend. I don't think you can be a top team without being able to properly do a car check. Hopefully they fix procedures after this.

As for Charles he is quick everywhere. But he needs to bounce back in Baku where he usually goes especially well. I understand we won't be fighting for wins, but Charles has to be best of the rest AND have a clean weekend where he doesn't put a foot wrong and is STILL as quick as we know he is. You guys tell me if I'm overly critical and nitpicking here too. But Charles is a little mistake prone. Now, it is only his fourth season and Max has had MANY MORE chances. But I think when the car is uncompetitive he pushes extra hard. Which i excused all the mistakes last year because Ferrari was nowhere and it needed to be done to extract the results, and I can excuse Monaco's crash because I think it was worth it to go for pole and the win. So it's fine, he just needs to come back with a clean weekend, that's all.
    (btw, he didn't have to push so hard when he crashed, Max needed to find 3 tenths on the last 2 sectors, it wasn't a lock for Max like Sky and Max would have you believe.)

Hamilton is the biggest hypocrite in F1. Raw Raw team until the team makes a mistake and he trashes them publicly. He should realize if it wasn't for Mercedes, he wouldn't have all his success.

I would add one thing: what about driver safety?
    F1 decided to get rid of the spare car, the 'T' car, why? to cut costs?
    So a driver can suffer a mechanical failure during a race in a car that's been damaged in an accident in qualifying. This could have happened to Charles. Let's hope it never happens on a high speed circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    I would add one thing: what about driver safety?
    F1 decided to get rid of the spare car, the 'T' car, why? to cut costs?
    So a driver can suffer a mechanical failure during a race in a car that's been damaged in an accident in qualifying. This could have happened to Charles. Let's hope it never happens on a high speed circuit
    No need for a "T" car.

Many cars have been damaged in qualifying only to come back and race the next day.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

What a ........(fill in a blank) (throw up emoji)

Well the parc ferme rules are quite strict on what you can and cannot change after qualifying. So it remains to be seen if the drive shaft issue could have been identified and could have been changed.

But haven't we seen Mercedes abuse these parc ferme rules many times in the past?