Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718
Results 511 to 528 of 528

Thread: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

  1. #511
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    311
    The next race in France has a straight similar to 2.2 km drs zone in Baku. I guess towing would be visible here too. If we can somehow fend off that zone, the other parts of the track should suit us.
    Are there are updates in the pipeline? Or jumped to 2022already?

  2. #512
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by 20000rpm View Post
    The next race in France has a straight similar to 2.2 km drs zone in Baku. I guess towing would be visible here too. If we can somehow fend off that zone, the other parts of the track should suit us.
    Are there are updates in the pipeline? Or jumped to 2022already?
    Jumped to 2022 a long time ago. Looks like there's enough in our current package to keep the season interesting and eventually beat McLaren for 3rd. Maybe one more aero upgrade but nothing major.

    (Have the teams copied McLaren's diffuser already or not yet?)
    Contrary to popular belief, black lives matter.
    We Race as One
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

  3. #513
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by 20000rpm View Post
    The next race in France has a straight similar to 2.2 km drs zone in Baku.
    The PaulRicard track has a chicane on the straight to slow the cars down. I prefer they get rid of the chicane.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  4. #514
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Jumped to 2022 a long time ago. Looks like there's enough in our current package to keep the season interesting and eventually beat McLaren for 3rd. Maybe one more aero upgrade but nothing major.

    (Have the teams copied McLaren's diffuser already or not yet?)
    While I would have loved beating McLaren under normal circumstances, thanks to these principle of "time alloted to teams for CFD as per reverse order", I somehow feel finishing 4th this season would have given us some extra time. While our correlation is matching the real time data which is good news, I still believe that we are not quite there yet with our aero.
    Also, next year most of the engines in terms of PU should be at par with each other, the aero would be the only area to gain competitive advantage over others.
    What do you guys think?

  5. #515
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,875
    We also have Haas and Alfa so can get some data from them as well.

  6. #516
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    311
    Haas has completely given up on 2021. If I am not mistaken, they are running the same 2019 car with some minor updates.

  7. #517
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,626
    Quote Originally Posted by 20000rpm View Post
    Haas has completely given up on 2021. If I am not mistaken, they are running the same 2019 car with some minor updates.
    Last race they finished 13th & 14th. It must be the updates ! Williams can't beat them! Your mistaken Haas for Binotto as far as completely giving up 2021. Two poles means nothing he says.

  8. #518
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,955
    Results after 6 races 2019 vs 2021

    Leclerc and Vettel in 2019 had 139pts

    Leclerc and Sainz in 2021 have 94pts

    2020 was the pandemic which hit Italy hard not to mention only 17 races. 2019 had 21 races.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  9. #519
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Results after 6 races 2019 vs 2021

    Leclerc and Vettel in 2019 had 139pts

    Leclerc and Sainz in 2021 have 94pts

    2020 was the pandemic which hit Italy hard not to mention only 17 races. 2019 had 21 races.
    Ferrari have only managed one podium finish so far in 2021 with Carlos in Monaco, which explains our points score. I don't expect it to get any easier.

  10. #520
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Ferrari have only managed one podium finish so far in 2021 with Carlos in Monaco, which explains our points score. I don't expect it to get any easier.
    I did'nt mention this but in 2020, Ferrari was also "handicapped" from a technical perspective if I can say that conservetavily. [wink][wink]
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  11. #521
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Christchurch,UK
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I did'nt mention this but in 2020, Ferrari was also "handicapped" from a technical perspective if I can say that conservetavily. [wink][wink]
    Quite so, but Charles still managed some remarkable results and podiums. They were legal, probably!

  12. #522
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by 20000rpm View Post
    Haas has completely given up on 2021. If I am not mistaken, they are running the same 2019 car with some minor updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Last race they finished 13th & 14th. It must be the updates ! Williams can't beat them! Your mistaken Haas for Binotto as far as completely giving up 2021. Two poles means nothing he says.

    I was referring to using Haas and Alfa wind tunnel and CFD time to help our 2022 entry. They can pool their resources and help each other.

  13. #523
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    311
    Right, got it.

  14. #524
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,955
    Pirelli concludes investigation into Baku F1 tyre failures

    Pirelli has concluded the tyre failures that affected Max Verstappen and Lance Stroll at Formula 1’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix were likely caused by how their teams were running the tyres.


    Both drivers suffered left rear blow outs in the Baku race, with the initial suspicion pointing to debris being the cause of the incidents.

    This theory was boosted by the fact that other cars were found to have suffered cuts on their tyres during the red flag period triggered by Verstappen’s incident.

    In a bid to get to the bottom of what happened, Pirelli flew the tyres back to its Milan headquarters for a detailed analysis in its laboratories.

    On Tuesday, the Italian tyre company issued a release making it clear that the failures were not caused by a production fault, wear nor delamination.

    It went on reveal that the blow outs were instead caused by a circumferential break on the inner sidewall of the tyres, rather than being the result of a cut from debris.

    The statement suggested that the breaks in the sidewall were likely caused by the ‘running condition of the tyre’ – which is probably related to either tyre pressures or the temperatures they were run at.

    “This analysis also took in the tyres used by other cars in the race, which had the same or a higher number of laps on them compared to the ones that were damaged,” it said.

    “The process established that there was no production or quality defect on any of the tyres; nor was there any sign of fatigue or delamination.

    "The causes of the two left-rear tyre failures on the Aston Martin and Red Bull cars have been clearly identified.

    "In each case, this was down to a circumferential break on the inner sidewall, which can be related to the running conditions of the tyre, in spite of the prescribed starting parameters (minimum pressure and maximum blanket temperature) having been followed.”

    F1 teams are currently only required to run tyres at a minimum tyre pressure when they are first fitted to the cars, as there is no requirement for them to maintain pressures once a car is out on track.

    This means that the door is open for teams to find ways to lower the pressure once checks have taken place, but such a reduction in pressure means the tyre is put under more stress.

    Pirelli revealed that new pressure and tyre blanket protocols were to be put in place to ensure there could be no repeat of the Baku problem, with teams having already been informed by the FIA of what new processes must be followed.

    The statement added: “As a result of this analysis, Pirelli have submitted their report to the FIA and the Teams. The FIA and Pirelli have agreed a new set of the protocols, including an upgraded technical directive already distributed, for monitoring operating conditions during a race weekend and they will consider any other appropriate actions.”

    Red Bull has since responded to the findings and insists it ran its tyres within Pirelli's parameters.

    "We have worked closely with Pirelli and the FIA during their investigation into Max’s tyre failure on lap 47 of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix and can confirm that no car fault was found," the Red Bull statement read.

    "We adhered to Pirelli’s tyre parameters at all times and will continue to follow their guidance.

    "We are grateful that following the weekend’s high speed impacts no drivers were injured."

    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/pi...lures/6572228/
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  15. #525
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    99
    Does anyone have insight into this Pirelli Statement?

    To me it seems like, they have enough circumstantial evidence suggesting teams are pushing the boundaries and running lower PSI. But do not have reliable proof in metric form.

    Or, the alternative is, Pirelli are suggesting we have constructed the tyres to FIA specification and they failed, not because they are bad, but the we cannot Tailor them anymore.

  16. #526
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by kshitijmalkan View Post
    Does anyone have insight into this Pirelli Statement?

    To me it seems like, they have enough circumstantial evidence suggesting teams are pushing the boundaries and running lower PSI. But do not have reliable proof in metric form.

    Or, the alternative is, Pirelli are suggesting we have constructed the tyres to FIA specification and they failed, not because they are bad, but the we cannot Tailor them anymore.
    It's either or with regards to minimum tire pressure or maxiumum tire pressure that RedBull and Aston Martin were running. Pirelli is not taking the blame for the tire construction.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

  17. #527
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,626
    The Sakhir GP Merc tire puncture was never really explained.

  18. #528
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    99
    Pirelli do hold a poisoned chalice and only have themselves to blame.

    In the future, FIA may have to opt for no name or FIA branded tyres.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •