Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Well in Monaco, many thought Mercedes were sandbagging and come qualifying they would lock out the front row. But that didn't happen.

Similar to Monaco, they are struggling in Baku. Not because they have all of a sudden gone backwards, but because of the track temperature. C3-C5's are the softest compounds and with high track temperature, they can't keep the tyres within the optimal working temperature window. Something Ferrari and Red Bull can do quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    It's practice mate. Nothing to take away from anything during practce sessions.....let alone where Mercedes stands in the pecking order. I thouht you would have figured that out by now after 8 years of dominance.

Wait till qualifying...you'll see. Don't be surprised if Mercedes are in the top 4 positions.
    You do realise that if Merc are P3 and P4 then that means they ARE behind? Or does your definition of behind start from P5 down?

Also, when Merc were topping the times in FP the last several years, did you always say, "Don't worry guys, it's just practice, nothing to take away, they might be P5 or even lower in quali?" No you didn't.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Well in Monaco, many thought Mercedes were sandbagging and come qualifying they would lock out the front row. But that didn't happen.

Similar to Monaco, they are struggling in Baku. Not because they have all of a sudden gone backwards, but because of the track temperature. C3-C5's are the softest compounds and with high track temperature, they can't keep the tyres within the optimal working temperature window. Something Ferrari and Red Bull can do quite easily.
    Monaco, penultimate lap, I'm sure someone here was still saying, "You guys honestly think Merc are behind? Lewis will win the race, watch."
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Question. If Perez were to qualify P1 and Max P2, do you guys think there'd be team orders at Red Bull?
    Forza Ferrari

Absolutely. No questions asked. Either though pit stops or bland team order.

It is strange with Mercedes, they have been top of the game last seven years and now suddenly, Monaco and Baku they look like middle field team, what can be the reason?
    Are they just playing with us, making things more exciting for a few races, then making "come back", because they are so clever and they solved the problems what they had? I dont know, Sky people talk about that they are missing DAS now, but they have been leading WDC and WCC earlier this year, so i dont think that is a the reason.
    Anyways, it is very strange.

Leclerc is under a bit of a pressure I think but he was on lap for nr 1 but locked and crashed so I reckon he will pull it of. Sainz is surprising me, he is super fast, as is Norris.

Carlos had a better average starting position, when his team mate was Max Verstappen. I hope that Charles is not trying too hard to beat Carlos, just thinking 2 crashes now in a row, I am almost sure that this is not the case, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Question. If Perez were to qualify P1 and Max P2, do you guys think there'd be team orders at Red Bull?
    you bet your bottom dollar there will be.....perez is a clear #2.....and Max....well he is the leader in that team

Millions $$$$ more F-1 fans back seeing Merc not on top. 2021 is the rebirth of F-1 interest worldwide. Even Ferrari fans see podiums this season!!

Horners statement on Sky has me in stitches! Asking Toto to shut up.

RB seem to be confident in their package and I think wing flex aint going away anytime soon

You guys honestly think Mercedes is behind???? It's all a ruse.

Watch....come qualifying, boh Mercedes cars will be in the top 4.
    Merc has serious tyre warming issues. And part of it has to do with the removal of DAS.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    It is strange with Mercedes, they have been top of the game last seven years and now suddenly, Monaco and Baku they look like middle field team, what can be the reason?
    Are they just playing with us, making things more exciting for a few races, then making "come back", because they are so clever and they solved the problems what they had? I dont know, Sky people talk about that they are missing DAS now, but they have been leading WDC and WCC earlier this year, so i dont think that is a the reason.
    Others would say, that this drop of performance indicate that there was something that changed in the car that indicates that they were caught cheating.
    Just saying...
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

You guys honestly think Mercedes is behind???? It's all a ruse.

Watch....come qualifying, boh Mercedes cars will be in the top 4.
    Agree with this. Merc always play this game and then a moment of "magic" by lewis and he is on pole.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    And rightfully so. Max is the one taking the battle to Hamilton. Perez is flirting in and out of being the second albon/gasly/kyvat.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Removal of DAS might be one of the issues. Maybe it played a larger part than we imagined.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    Leclerc is under a bit of a pressure I think but he was on lap for nr 1 but locked and crashed so I reckon he will pull it of. Sainz is surprising me, he is super fast, as is Norris.
    Come qualifying, LEC will find that little bit extra to pip Sainz. That said, i am very happy both our drivers are pushing each other.
    Plus we could score a podium this race. Hope this trend continues.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    Come qualifying, LEC will find that little bit extra to pip Sainz. That said, i am very happy both our drivers are pushing each other.
    Plus we could score a podium this race. Hope this trend continues.
    We aren't scoring anything unless they fix the overheating...

We aren't scoring anything unless Binotto realizes there's big podium hope in 2021 for Charles and Carlos. I'm glad our drivers are competing against each other and the other team drivers. They believe there's a podium waiting each race. So am I.

Add this car 20-25 HP more and we could be just behind merc and rb.

Kravitz says Mercedes apparently ran the wrong wing yesterday. Today, they have a double pillar rear wing with slightly higher downforce to help heat up the tyres.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Max binned it....needs a new front wing...possible right front suspension damage.

Looks like some sand leaked out of Hamiltons car in FP3.

Looks like some sand leaked out of Hamiltons car in FP3.
    No he got a huge tow in the last sector worth easily 0.6 seconds. He was almost 0.9 down in sector 2

We are going to see a lot of towing in the qualifying especially for the Mercedes.

Getting a clean lap on 1st fast lap on new tyres plus a tow could put someone from 10th to 1st. FP3 Gasly took 2 new tyre runs and got his fastest lap on 1st attempt, it was worth a lot plus that Pineapple in the Merc gained a huge amount with that tow. Combine these 2 things you could gain over 1 second to others having to do an extra lap and not getting a tow. Fastest car is not a slam dunk pole here.

Here we go...

Stroll effs it up big time......RED FLAG.....he's done.

He's gonna start last....currently.

Baku is quite challenging. So not surprised with all these crashes and off track incursions.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Baku is quite challenging. So not surprised with all these crashes and off track incursions.
    Turn 15 is collecting some crashes.