Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FrenchGP 2021: Practices and Qualifying

Are we really that bad????!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Ferrari looks weak here

LOL. Why the hell we running with mediums. It is very clear that we can not make it through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Are we really that bad????!!
    Lec looking very weak on this track due to some reason

Quote Originally Posted by JacKy View Post
    LOL. Why the hell we running with mediums. It is very clear that we can not make it through with it.
    We just did. You don't want to start on softs.

CS better than CL

Well done to our boys. P5 and P7. Leclerc has been struggling with the front end. Sainz was mighty impressive.

A good performance from our boys. Leclerc struggling with the fronts but nice to see Carlos the best of the rest.

Both Ferrari in front of McLarens!

We've got a good race with the top 4 cars.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Well looks like we need more than 20+ hp engine to be able to compete. Losing so much time at fast corners.

Good job anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Both Ferrari in front of McLarens!

The only things that we want to see thus season!!!
    Everything else is just a bonus!!!
    And I really like that it's the 1st time for many many years that we actually have a very good pair of drivers.
    When one is struggling a bit ,every time the other is there deliver. I think that on this one Binotto was right and it wasn't just a bad word for Vettelas many said !!!!
    For many years now we had one good driver to fight fat positions and taking 110% from the car ,but the other was far behind for most of the races!!!!
    I really really wish this to continue not only this year year, but more importantly next year!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

It has been said before but I'm going to say it again, it's great to finally rely on both drivers. Leclerc struggled today but Sainz delivered. This is what Ferrari needs.

For too long we had a dis-functional driver line up where Leclerc was pretty much pulling all the weight.

Almost a full second behind. Ugh

Great lap by Carlos.... A bt disappointed for Charles. He struggled for the entire FP and Qual due to front end issues. Seems like the new pressure system introduced by FiA has an impact on his performance :(
    But in order to maintain that place, we need to be in clear air as much as possible. We suffer a lot under dirty air as mentioned by Carlos.
    Let's see how race pans out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by JacKy View Post
    Well looks like we need more than 20+ hp engine to be able to compete. Losing so much time at fast corners.

Good job anyway.
    In qualifying there is nothing between the Honda and Mercedes PU. But Mercedes PU is still the engine to have during the race, it has better electrical power delivery and more fuel efficient than the Honda.

Tomorrow, keeping Norris behind will be tough. The Mercedes PU has a considerable advantage over our PU in race stint.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    In qualifying there is nothing between the Honda and Mercedes PU. But Mercedes PU is still the engine to have during the race, it has better electrical power delivery and more fuel efficient than the Honda.

Tomorrow, keeping Norris behind will be tough. The Mercedes PU has a considerable advantage over our PU in race stint.
    Agreed. We'll see who conserves tires better during the race......Mercedes or RedBull. It's the long wheelbase vs the short wheelbase.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post

True.

It feels like sf21 struggling fast change of directions and carrying speed over fast corners. Just watched verstappen’s and sainz’s onboard. The speed between Rb and Ferrari at the end of fast corners looks like humongous

Ugh. Hopefully it’s not getting any worse tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Almost a full second behind. Ugh

Leclerc managed to claw back a lot of time to end up about 0.1s off Sainz despite his struggles. Good job. It's sad that the team couldn't sort out his issues. How come Merc can often solve their issues quickly and we can't?

I hope we don't become sitting ducks tomorrow. Should be an interesting race. Nice to see Perez right up there. He's definitely an upgrade on Albon.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Really impressive from Sainz by the way to qualify best of the rest. P5 and P7 is really not bad at all.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Leclerc managed to claw back a lot of time to end up about 0.1s off Sainz despite his struggles. Good job. It's sad that the team couldn't sort out his issues. How come Merc can often solve their issues quickly and we can't?

I hope we don't become sitting ducks tomorrow. Should be an interesting race. Nice to see Perez right up there. He's definitely an upgrade on Albon.
    Leclerc said he was very happy with his Q3 lap and Sainz simply did a better job.

Better than expected and it's so close in that middle group, I still feel it's our lack of outright power that's our worst enemy as well as not being so good in the fast corners. Carlos did well for P5 on the grid and Charles not his usual self in P7, but not a bad show considering our car's limitations. Just hope we're not swallowed up on the straight tomorrow and tyre wear doesn't cause us nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Leclerc said he was very happy with his Q3 lap and Sainz simply did a better job.
    Hopefully Leclerc set himself up more for the race, his stint on hard tyres on Friday was quite good. If so, this is a good qualifying performance. If Ferrari gets 5,6 this is a great sign.

2021 French GP: Post Qualifying Analysis

A pretty exciting Qualifying session around Paul Ricard. There was a lot of juggling during all three sessions, and the pace dramatically changed from lap to lap. Of course tires was a big a story. What was the best tire, proper warm up laps, was the tire better on one run, or a second run.

Red Bull look surprisingly fast. Max unsurprisingly was the man of the session and put in an incredible lap. I thought his second run in Q3 would be enough to be half a second faster than the field, but a lot of drivers found huge gains and it's a good thing Max nailed that lap, as Hamilton's second run would have been good enough for pole. It may seem like a good job by Perez to get 4th, but he was half a second off Max. Red Bull could have a very strong race with their low downforce setups, if they can keep the tires happy.

Mercedes, we have seen this movie before. Bottas looks amazing for the entire weekend, Hamilton complains about the car, then when it finally counts Hamilton puts in a great lap and Bottas starts behind him. Skysport media really wanted to push the chassis swap story, making it sound like Mercedes was unfair to Hamilton, but I don't believe any of that nonsense. It's a chassis that dominated in 2020, and the team had the option to swap to a brand new chassis, but everything tested okay and clearly the chassis looks fine. Mercedes will likely be battling for the win, but will they make mistakes? That is the more interesting question to me.

Ferrari have to be pretty happy. It really looked like the engine power hurt their laptimes, but that is to be expected. Sainz has looked amazing and he flat out has been better than his phenom teammate - Charles Leclerc, who really got it together in his last lap. Hard to judge how their race will go. They were terrible on tires in Baku, and their straight line performance in the race is worse than in qualifying. I think a podium will be difficult.

AlphaTauri has their own Mr Saturday in Pierre Gasly. Another superb performance. Their race pace hasn't always been there, so we will see if they are getting a handle on that. Yuki, another poor performance. He either does great, or does really really bad.

McLaren definitely appear to be losing ground to Ferrari. Lando has been keeping them in the game, and the Mercedes engine is still the best on the grid, so it's down to their chassis. Ricciardo is much closer to Norris than in recent races. They may have a closer fight with Alpine and Aston Martin than they do with Ferrari.

Alpine has looked pretty strong here. Alonso had a qualifying session he can be happy about, Ocon starts 11th for optimal tire choice. Their car has been quite easy on tires, so I wonder if they will be able to fire up the Hard tires in the race. I think this will be a key for them. If they can keep the tires in their operating window, they could have a very strong race. If not, they may drop like a stone.

Aston Martin, not a great day for them, but when you look closer, it was down to a matter of tenths. At least for Vettel. Lance Stroll ate a bit of bad luck. Could be fun watching both drivers try to battle their way forward in the race.

Alfa Romeo should be happy with Giovinazzi's day. P13 is very good on a proper circuit like Paul Ricard. Their car is good enough to finish ahead of both Williams and Haas at this point.

Williams, same story. Russell does great in qualifying, just a couple tenths off of Vettel to put it in perspective. Though he still only starts 14th, Latifi in 16th, and likely will be pushing hard to finish ahead of the Haas rookies.

Haas and Mick Schumacher get their first Q2 showing, though bitter sweet since Mick binned it in the wall. Everyone keeps making fun of Mazepin for spinning out, but Schumacher has crashed badly several times over the last 3 races. His performances are strong, but he's racking up a heck of a bill for the team.

Paul Ricard hasn't proved to be a great track for F1 races, so let's hope the tire characteristics, and the close performance between Mercedes and Verstappen keep things exciting.

Carlos Sainz #55

Not a bad day for the team. After a couple of eventful Saturdays, it’s good to have a clean quali like today. We managed to extract everything out of the car and show the progress we have made at this type of track. From my side, I continue to adapt and learn from the different conditions and corners, and today I felt at home with the car no matter what compound I was on.
    We are in a good position for the race tomorrow and we’ll try to maximize every opportunity. Yesterday our race pace was not bad, but I expect a tight battle with our main competitors. A clean first lap and a good strategy will be essential to leave France with a good result.

Charles Leclerc #16

A tricky qualifying from my side. I didn’t do a good job of driving around the balance limitation of my car, which was on the front for me today. I will work to understand how I can adapt my driving style and manage this better in the race, although I think that we will feel it less tomorrow.
    Overall, 5th and 7th place are good results for the team and in line with our expectations. Congratulations to everyone and to Carlos who did a good job today. The race pace wasn’t too bad yesterday. There is definitely potential to fight for good positions in the race, and it will come down to us putting it all together.

Laurent Mekies, Racing Director

All in all, it was a satisfactory qualifying. We came here knowing that the hierarchy would be different to that seen at the two unusual tracks in Monaco and Baku and that the characteristics of the Paul Ricard circuit would not be ideally suited to our SF21. But once again, we were able to demonstrate that we are the best of those teams directly behind the two that are fighting for the championship. Furthermore, as in the three previous qualifying sessions, we got both our cars ahead of our direct rivals.
    Carlos is having a great weekend, showing that he is making progress, and his qualifying performance was really good. Charles couldn’t get the right feel for his car, especially the front end, but on his final run, he still managed to get close to the third row that could have been within his reach.
    Tomorrow’s race will be long and difficult, with tyre behaviour playing a crucial role. On this front, the top ten are all starting on the same compound so we will be fighting on equal terms. We know our race pace is not as good as we would like at the moment, but we will prepare well tonight and tomorrow and will continue to do so over the coming weeks, in order to give our drivers an ever more competitive package.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Bit wet for F3, drying up now though.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by chinmay View Post
    Yes he was happy with his lap because he managed to claw back a lot of tenths. He didn't say he was happy with the car, he said he was happy with how he drove that lap.

But that makes me wonder. When one driver struggles with the car, like Leclerc struggling with the front end, while the other driver doesn't, is it because of the drivers or the engineers or the car somehow?
    Forza Ferrari

Not sure whether hoping for some rain would help or hinder us, forecast shows possible thunderstorms, so we'll see!