Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Styrian GP 2021: Practices and Qualifying

I prefer P6 then P5 with clean side tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    I still believe every driver wishes he was with Ferrari . Charles for one will never let go !
    Yes but for how long? This is the point I'm trying to make. What if there's an agenda to change that? Does the 5 year old kid who's getting into karting right now switch on F1 in another 5 year's time and say, I want to drive for Ferrari?
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

It would be great if we could manage to finish the race in the P5-P10 position, though I know the chances are very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Well done Charles, P7. P6 with Bottas's penalty.
    No, Charles stays P7. Bottas will be P5. He's got a 3 place penalty.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

I am just waiting next week...what is next Mercs want to FIA to do to slow down RB.

Charles had a great lap, sadly car is not fast enough to fight there with Max and Ham.

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    No, Charles stays P7. Bottas will be P5. He's got a 3 place penalty.
    Yup.

Ferrari have gone for high downforce setup which will play derivative in tomorrow's race. Protecting the rear tyres and a long first stint is key here.

Those speed traps for us! Wow that's bad.

Ferrari have gone for high downforce setup which will play derivative in tomorrow's race. Protecting the rear tyres and a long first stint is key here.
    Hope you are right.

If we have good lap times Yes, if others are close to us ,they will swallow us in the straights!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

I missed Q2, what are the tyres Charles will start on ?

Quote Originally Posted by elnano14 View Post
    I missed Q2, what are the tyres Charles will start on ?
    All are starting on Softs as seen from the chart above.

Only Ver and the 2 Mercs are starting on mediums
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by patrese86 View Post
    Those speed traps for us! Wow that's bad.
    Slowest of the whole field. The fact that we have to stoop so low on speed just to be competitive is worrying. Last year Binotto said our engine won't be the worst on the grid. It seems like it is.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Only Ver and the 2 Mercs are starting on mediums
    Did I miss something? The Qualifying chart posted by tifosi1993 does mention all the times by the drivers were set on the softs.

How can we have high downforce and expect to survive on the straights, it doesn't make sense. We can see from the other Ferrari-engined cars that the power just isn't enough and now we have to contend with the tyre issues which have been a problem for a long time. We realise all the restrictions mean that we have to live with these weaknesses throughout the season, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow. We keep banging our heads against a brick wall and our nearest competitor Mclaren is rubbing salt into the wound. That said, Charles again proved what he can do, Carlos was doing OK until the end of his fastest lap, tomorrow may be wet, but any result in the points will be an achievement given our current failings. Depressing.

WET RACE TOMORROW

Current FIA weather system points to an 80 per cent risk of a storm during the StyrianGP after a sunny morning.

"The chance of thundery showers are high for the race," says the forecast.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by 20000rpm View Post
    Did I miss something? The Qualifying chart posted by tifosi1993 does mention all the times by the drivers were set on the softs.
    Q2 sets the tyres you start on.
    Forza Ferrari

Laurent Mekies: The goal here was to have good race pace, we are still behind with the PU and here it shows, being a power circuit. We are working on this.

The aero compromise is less effective today, we will see tomorrow if it was a good choice.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Without high downforce setup Ferrari will eat tyres in ten laps. In Paul Ricard Charles destroys hardest compound in 16laps. A
    Race pace on Friday was very good. I think fight for fifth place will be very close between Lando, Gasly and Charles.

It shows tyres that drivers used to set their fastest qualifying times.

Charles Leclerc #16
    P7 is not the ideal starting position, but it was in line with our expectations. Our race pace has been pretty solid this weekend, and we did not want to sacrifice it for a slightly better qualifying result. Tomorrow is what counts, and if our pace is as good as it has been so far this weekend, I am confident that we can gain some positions and bring home some good points.
    I am very happy with my lap and put everything I had into it without making mistakes. It was difficult with the traffic, especially in Q1. Then, in Q3, we decided to put on new tyres out of sync with the others to run in free air.
    We have worked well and I feel confident in the car. We will prepare as well as possible for tomorrow and hopefully we can have a good one.

Carlos Sainz #55
    This was not such a good day. Yesterday we struggled with our one-lap pace, so we were not expecting miracles. Qualifying outside the top ten is not ideal, but with such a tight field on such a short track you have to nail all three sectors and I was missing a bit in sector 2. There’s some consolation in the fact that I have a free choice of tyre compound on which to start and we will try and make the most of that. Yesterday, our long run pace was not bad, so I hope I can get a good result.
    This afternoon is not the end of the weekend and we’ll fight until the very last lap to get the best result possible.

Laurent Mekies Racing Director
    As expected, this was a difficult session. Compared with what we have seen so far on Saturday afternoons, we were unable to reproduce our usual performance level over a single flying lap. We tackled this Grand Prix with a slightly different approach to usual, working mainly towards the race after the problems we encountered last week in France. That’s not a mitigating factor, because I don’t think we could have done much better than this, looking at the performance of our main rivals, but it is something to bear in mind when looking at today’s results. From what we saw yesterday, our long run pace is not bad compared to our closest competitors and we will try and exploit that tomorrow afternoon.
    Every day of this season is an opportunity to improve and to help make the team strong and today was no exception, an additional experience to make the most of, for the short and the long term.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Attachment 7819
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Charles Leclerc #16

I am very happy with my lap and put everything I had into it without making mistakes.
    Well, it did look like that, perfect lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Q2 sets the tyres you start on.
    Oh! I thought the tires used when qualifying ends were the ones you start with, just like the engine mode..

It shows tyres that drivers used to set their fastest qualifying times.
    Thanks... got it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Noquarter View Post
    Without high downforce setup Ferrari will eat tyres in ten laps. In Paul Ricard Charles destroys hardest compound in 16laps. A
    Race pace on Friday was very good. I think fight for fifth place will be very close between Lando, Gasly and Charles.
    This is precisely gets me worried. As seen in Paul Ricard, we could not defend our position when challenged from Gasly, Daniel, Norris or anyone who has a better PU than us on the straights. Our race pace seems good when in clean air, not when challenging for position.

We need to decide if we want better races than qualifying
    Personally, I like that they experiment. They need to get on top of the tyre issue. It's a problem for some years now, I mean, from AT LEAST 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    We need to decide if we want better races than qualifying
    Personally, I like that they experiment. They need to get on top of the tyre issue. It's a problem for some years now, I mean, from AT LEAST 2013.
    Hopefully our race pace is better than in France and we can keep the tyres going.
    Forza Ferrari

I think they've gambled on the straights being shorter than on most tracks so that it's quite hard to overtake a car that has got good traction in Austria. I think it's safe to say that Sainz will start on hards and attempt to go long enough to catch a SC in the pit window and then try and pick up places with mediums at the end. For Charles I believe the key is to be able to split the race close to half way before going to the hards. In effect at least make it 25-30 laps on the softs. Hopefully the pit wall will call the bluff when I expect Tsunoda and Alonso come in before lap 20 because they won't make it to the end with any speed.