Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sprint Qualifying is bad for Formula 1

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Almost every category has lost its purity other than race wins and titles won. Qualy and points have changed so much over the years that those stats mean squat. At one point cars qualified with fuel.they needed to start the race. Getting pole just meant you had a lighter car.
    I had the very thought just yesterday. Spot on.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    You need to adjust your attitude. You wind up people with your behavior, your SLH ******** and you've been given leniency for way too long.
    To cut things short. Yes, we know you have issues with Michael Schumacher, what transpired with Reubens and/or with Massa.
    No, we simply don't care, this is not a psychiatric ward.

We're here to support Ferrari. If you're not here to do this, as Rob said, be gone.
    The problem if it's a problem ; is not; was not with my favorite team always Ferrari; and a solid Charles fan. This is a Ferrari Forum and even while I was here as a strong Rubens fan who was a Ferrari driver I was for a Ferrari driver and the team. You are right on the money, we are here to support Ferrari . Now I will cut things short knowing you know what it is that really hurts some fans here . As you well said this is not a psychiatric ward ; it's now 2021 and F-1 is great. Charles is there to win !!!

You need to adjust your attitude. You wind up people with your behavior, your SLH ******** and you've been given leniency for way too long.
    To cut things short. Yes, we know you have issues with Michael Schumacher, what transpired with Reubens and/or with Massa.
    No, we simply don't care, this is not a psychiatric ward.

We're here to support Ferrari. If you're not here to do this, as Rob said, be gone.
    The problem if it's a problem ; is not; was not with my favorite team always Ferrari; and a solid Charles fan. This is a Ferrari Forum and even while I was here as a strong Rubens fan who was a Ferrari driver I was for a Ferrari driver and the team. You are right on the money, we are here to support Ferrari . Now I will cut things short knowing you know what it is that really hurts some fans here . As you well said this is not a psychiatric ward ; it's now 2021 and F-1 is great. Charles is there to win !!! Oh! and; OI POLOI METRANE .

I had the very thought just yesterday. Spot on.
    race wins have lost their meaning too, now that we have 24 a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    Agreed !
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    OI POLOI METRANE .
    Do you know what that even means ?

It's evident that Brembo has a habit of posting on this forum late into the night after a few alcoholic concoctions and he is loyal to both Ferrari and Brazilian drivers, I was a Rubens and big-time Felipe fan so I empathise with his feelings on that score! He likes proper racing and gets excited, as do I, but I don't like the tinkering with race weekend formats or the points awarded in the sprint race, although I'll admit that the sprint race at Silverstone was entertaining, but I missed the adrenalin of proper Saturday quali. In this cost-cap era, I find the format likely to add to those costs, especially when any accidents happen. So I'm not convinced it's the way forward, nor am I against it. Monza may change my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    It's evident that Brembo has a habit of posting on this forum late into the night after a few alcoholic concoctions and he is loyal to both Ferrari and Brazilian drivers, I was a Rubens and big-time Felipe fan so I empathise with his feelings on that score! He likes proper racing and gets excited, as do I, but I don't like the tinkering with race weekend formats or the points awarded in the sprint race, although I'll admit that the sprint race at Silverstone was entertaining, but I missed the adrenalin of proper Saturday quali. In this cost-cap era, I find the format likely to add to those costs, especially when any accidents happen. So I'm not convinced it's the way forward, nor am I against it. Monza may change my mind!
    As I said what I enjoyed is that this format gives the chance for some pedal to the medal racing which we have forgotten what it feels like due to the complete idiocy of the rules of the last years .
    And quite honestly I don't care if there are incidents that could "ruin" the main event. Quite honestly it is this kind of thinking that has diluted the DNA of f1.
    F1 should be about 2 things. Racing and evolution. Instead right now it is pretty much endurance racing with gimmics.

Do you know what that even means ?
    I POLI CONTANO ! Wisepie can translate for sure!

I POLI CONTANO ! Wisepie can translate for sure!
    Poli, Brembo? Is that supposed to be plural for poles? And of course they count but no points are awarded, but sprint races have points for the podium finishers. This doesn't make sense to me but probably just as well poles don't get points given Merc and RB's form on that score. Although Charles would have a few more points after 2 consecutive poles in Monaco and Baku!

Yes. " Poles" do count.

Yes. " Poles" do count.

Only in starting positions. Poles lost their meaning with so many changes over the years. I agree with Aroutis. F1 has become more of an endurance race. I liked the hard/soft tire format with refueling of the 90's. Every race had drama. No one knew which tire the teams had chosen until near the start of the race. Never knew how much fuel was in the car or when they would stop. If one of the leaders stopped early, the other guy would start pumping in faster laps as his fuel went down. The whole race was exciting. Or I could be just imagining that things were better, and they weren't really.

Only in starting positions. Poles lost their meaning with so many changes over the years. I agree with Aroutis. F1 has become more of an endurance race. I liked the hard/soft tire format with refueling of the 90's. Every race had drama. No one knew which tire the teams had chosen until near the start of the race. Never knew how much fuel was in the car or when they would stop. If one of the leaders stopped early, the other guy would start pumping in faster laps as his fuel went down. The whole race was exciting. Or I could be just imagining that things were better, and they weren't really.
    They were better. There's a reason why the poster above believes number poles counts.

Thia and your previous post are on the money again Bob! I guess maybe we're just jaded old fogies? More races and longer weekends however scrambled don't do much for me either..............
    Last edited by Liscia; 26th July 2021 at 21:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    Thia and your previous post are on the money again Bob! I guess maybe we're just jaded old fogies? More races and longer weekends however scramled don't do much for me either..............

No kidding. Just realized the join date. Hard to believe we've been on this forum and discussing F1 with each other for 17 years. Bring back the good old days.

I don't like the way I feel about it but that's how I feel about it! I tip my scudetto emblazoned cap to you since you've got seniority over me ;)

Exactly that.

Quite honestly the current format has been nothing but boring and it's why they wish to change it.
    That and they try to use all three days to make things more spicy because, well, guess what, people JUST DON'T CARE for F1 as they used to as they've grown tired to watch Mercedes/Lewis (yes, congratulation FIA/Merc/Pirelli, shot yourself on your foot).

Quite honestly I hope that come 2022 the things will be restored in a more balanced format as this is what the sport needs. More competition, a much better Ferrari as the sport needs Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    Poles, points, wins have lost there meanings? All we F-1 fans have left are the podiums! Oh well I still can't wait for the next race and I'm happy to have 24. There's always Charles , Mick, Alonso and throw in Carlos every race to keep me interested. Podiums still count for entertainment!!

No kidding. Just realized the join date. Hard to believe we've been on this forum and discussing F1 with each other for 17 years. Bring back the good old days.

SilverstoneGP 2021 Sprint Race

Here's my opinion.............I don't like it. Here's why.

So we had a qualifying on Friday and we had a qualifying on Saturday. 12 drivers managed to get a better start position for the actual BritishGP on Sunday while 4 drivers kept position, 3 lost out a bit and 1 threw it all away(Perez).

Alonso couldn't make it into Q3 but will start the BritishGP P7. Hamilton did a blistering lap to go fastest on Friday but will start from P2. Perez could've helped RBR from P5 but will start from the back. Raikkonen was out in Q1 but starts P13 .

Just stick to qualifying.....that's it.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    SilverstoneGP 2021 Sprint Race

Here's my opinion.............I don't like it. Here's why.

So we had a qualifying on Friday and we had a qualifying on Saturday. 12 drivers managed to get a better start position for the actual BritishGP on Sunday while 4 drivers kept position, 3 lost out a bit and 1 threw it all away(Perez).

Alonso couldn't make it into Q3 but will start the BritishGP P7. Hamilton did a blistering lap to go fastest on Friday but will start from P2. Perez could've helped RBR from P5 but will start from the back. Raikkonen was out in Q1 but starts P13 .

Just stick to qualifying.....that's it.
    If Brembo posted that same post it would have been "Trolling!!" Great post I agree 100%

For me normal qualifying should just go away. Honestly the whole elimination process is boring.

Tell that to Russell! No more quali results.

Tell that to Russell! No more quali results.
    Changing quali does not mean eliminating qualifying.
    You do understand this, don't you?

Also by your logic, you should also tell this to Lewis Hamilton lol

Changing quali does not mean eliminating qualifying.
    You do understand this, don't you?

Also by your logic, you should also tell this to Lewis Hamilton lol
    No I didn't understand it. What's your words normal Quali compared to? Quali means qualifying and eliminating . BTW your constant need to bring up that name can cause you a problem if Rob sees what your doing!

No I didn't understand it. What's your words normal Quali compared to? Quali means qualifying and eliminating . BTW your constant need to bring up that name can cause you a problem if Rob sees what your doing!
    Let Rob tell me if there is a problem.

Let Rob tell me if there is a problem.
    Don't feed the troll.

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    Don't feed the troll.
    Having confidence in our mods doesn't make him a troll! Who died and left you boss?