Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Qualifying is bad for Formula 1

Sprint Qualifying is bad for Formula 1

We had our first Sprint Qualifying for an official Formula 1 event at the Briitsh Grand Prix 2021. Formula 1 is raving how great it is, the media is pushing this narrative in an attempt to get people to buy into it. Nico Rosberg has criticized the format on his Twitter, saying;

"This is not the right decision. Pole 100% has to go to the fastest guy in qualifying. The sprint race winner should not be awarded pole position. That will totally cannibalise the historic F1 statistics"

Is it a coincidence that Nico Rosberg was not present with Skysport this weekend?

So why is Sprint Qualifying bad for the sport?

Firstly, pole position is about the fastest car and the fastest driver earning the right to start first for the race. It's a deserving reward for the team and driver who has done the best. This is also the only time during the weekend when the car and driver are at the absolute maximum. Everyone wants to see how fast a Formula 1 car can go. How does this year's car compare to last year's car? Which car is now the fastest? Who's the fastest driver? Clawing for every bit of speed available, where hundredths of a second can make a difference. With Sprint Qualifying, that excitement is gone. A car and driver that shines in qualifying, may not carry that same success into the race.... cough... George Russell. But this is an interesting dynamic each weekend. Again this is gone as the Sprint race is still a RACE, and what we see in a 17 lap Sprint will give us clues to what happens in the full Grand Prix.

This brings me to my next point. Sprint Qualifying is a spoiler for the race. Typically the top 10 drivers are forced onto a given tire from what was used in Q2, and then 11-20th have a choice to really mix it up. This adds an element of 'what if' to each Grand Prix. After Silverstone Sprint Qualifying, we now know the Soft tire is rubbish for the race, and the only choices to use will be Medium and Hard. One must expect most teams will go with the exact same strategy. We also know the tires blister very quickly when pushed hard, so expect everyone in the race to save tires. Without the Sprint Race, this information would have been discovered during the Grand Prix, and we could have seen teams deal with that challenge in real time. That surprise is gone. We also know who the top 3 drivers are. VER - HAM - BOT, or HAM - VER - BOT is almost a guarantee unless something dramatic happens. We also know that only the Mercedes powered cars can really pass on the straight. All the questions we have after qualifying and anticipate for Sunday's Grand Prix have already been answered to a certain degree.

Lastly, in modern Formula 1, the cars CAN NOT PASS! The idea of a RACE to set the Grid order makes absolutely no sense. Since the cars can't pass, once the Sprint Race has settled down after the first few laps, don't expect much to change. How is that more exciting than proper Qualifying that can change constantly? The Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton appear to be the strongest package at Silverstone, but once Verstappen got into the lead, Lewis could not advance and settled for 2nd. Hamilton earned his pole position on Saturday.

George Russell also deserved his 8th place position, only to drop back 1 place, then gets a deserving 3 place grid penalty for bumping into Sainz which ruined his Sprint Race and hurt his grid position. The chance of a driver's Sunday race being ruined by someone else's mistake in the Sprint Race, is extremely high. This is unfair and the risk of this happening increases exponentially if start in the mid field.

Let's not forget about the budget cap. If Sprint Qualifying continues, there WILL be crashes, and that can be very expensive to repair. In the budget cap era, that can be detrimental to a team, and once again it is the mid field teams that are most likely to be affected, so the chances of them closing the gap to the top teams becomes even less likely.

In the generation we live in with the huge following of Instagram and TikTok, people enjoy artificial entertainment. This is exactly what Sprint Qualifying is. People are more and more likely to only focus on what they see in the moment, and tend to agree with what the media likes to portray. As long as some see something different as new and exciting, and as long as the media pushes Sprint Qualifying as a success, it will be here to stay. Unfortunately that comes at the cost of diluting what a pole position is worth, and the fabric of Formula 1 history will start to change. Decades of the pole position going to the fastest car and driver, that will no likely be represented the same way.

There are many things wrong in Formula 1, but Qualifying was not one of them.

Yeah, many good points.

yes

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Yes it's awful and adds to the pile of other ridiculous initiatives over the years.

This format also adds a lot of risks and can result in accidents, wouldn't this just drive up costs?
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Agreed... It goes against the very notion of cost cuttings besides adding another 100km to race with a 24 hour pitstop.

lastly, in modern Formula 1, the cars CAN NOT PASS!
    Next year it will be better.

I actually enjoyed it.
    For one thing it was pedal to the medal racing, not caring what happens to the tyres, which is something I've missed.
    Secondly, I honestly don't care bout the risk factor, this is something that is part of the game and something for the teams to factor in. Enough with all this.
    And quite honestly, I believe the fastest one did get pole, and the fastest was Max.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

If pole was won like in the old days when we had qualifying results count; Sir Lewis would be at 101. The results of the next F-1 race will be a "Yeah but what if "

If you're going to do it, make it innovative.

Friday qualifying as this weekend but then reversed championship standings for the sprint grid.

The best aggregate result from the qualifying and the sprint race starts on pole. Let's for example put it like this:

Hammy: 1-6 = 7
    Verstappen: 2-5 = 7
    Bottas: 3-4 = 7
    Leclerc: 4-3 = 7

Hammy wins tiebreaker from better qualifying lap and starts on pole.

At least this way you'd get fast cars at the back for the sprint race without devaluing the main Grand Prix.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    If pole was won like in the old days when we had qualifying results count; Sir Lewis would be at 101. The results of the next F-1 race will be a "Yeah but what if "
    Again you with same story about your LH!!! STOP TROLLING!!!!

Brembo, i dont know of all this is tongue in cheek posts. Or you like coming on here winding people up. Seriously, enough of the worship. Yes it Ferrari forum, talk about other drivers and f1. But this is a damn joke now. Dont know if you enjoy the fact the someone has broke all Micheals records because of your chip on your shoulder about him. Dont know. Dont care. But, honestly, if you are ferrari fan, stop with all this **** about Lewis and the others you bang on about.

By all means leave this forum and find and join Lewis merc fan forum. Ok. Dont reply to this with your childish silly come backs. Got 2 options, leave, or stop trolling with all the lewis, merc, max and all the other **** you post.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Brembo, i dont know of all this is tongue in cheek posts. Or you like coming on here winding people up. Seriously, enough of the worship. Yes it Ferrari forum, talk about other drivers and f1. But this is a damn joke now. Dont know if you enjoy the fact the someone has broke all Micheals records because of your chip on your shoulder about him. Dont know. Dont care. But, honestly, if you are ferrari fan, stop with all this **** about Lewis and the others you bang on about.

By all means leave this forum and find and join Lewis merc fan forum. Ok. Dont reply to this with your childish silly come backs. Got 2 options, leave, or stop trolling with all the lewis, merc, max and all the other **** you post.
    THANK YOU!!!!

Thank You Rob!!
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Brilliant Rob, this is all that needed to be said.

Tell us how you really feel Rob.......
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Tell us how you really feel Rob.......
    Great race by Charles. Almost a win. Ferrari back on the podium was for sure a great accomplishment. OK! No comment on the other results.

I thought it was quite good, could be tweaked a bit but certainly added some excitement at the track. I think if they done it every race it would be a bit dull but if they keep it to 3 times or so a year then it will be ok.
    Forza Ferrari

Thought it was an awful addition to the race weekend. It essentially spoils the first stint of the race by showing who can do what. Race starts are always exciting, but nothing else happened. It was not an interesting spectacle. Alonso made up a few places (and fell back as expected). Perez screwed up, but it was quite boring. By showing Hamilton that he didn't have the pace to beat Max, it might also have presaged his desperate move on the first lap.

And let's not forget the post sprint victory lap celebration. Laurel wreaths? Seriously? A lorry carrying them around the track? Really very tacky and cringeworthy. There's too much invested from Liberty in doing it (to satisfy the TikTok crowd) so I don't think it'll change unfortunately. My real issue is that this will be used to further undermine the race itself in coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    Thought it was an awful addition to the race weekend. It essentially spoils the first stint of the race by showing who can do what. Race starts are always exciting, but nothing else happened. It was not an interesting spectacle. Alonso made up a few places (and fell back as expected). Perez screwed up, but it was quite boring. By showing Hamilton that he didn't have the pace to beat Max, it might also have presaged his desperate move on the first lap.

And let's not forget the post sprint victory lap celebration. Laurel wreaths? Seriously? A lorry carrying them around the track? Really very tacky and cringeworthy. There's too much invested from Liberty in doing it (to satisfy the TikTok crowd) so I don't think it'll change unfortunately. My real issue is that this will be used to further undermine the race itself in coming years.

The slow parade lap on the giant truck really falls in line with the zero emissions narrative too

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    The slow parade lap on the giant truck really falls in line with the zero emissions narrative too
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    We had our first Sprint Qualifying for an official Formula 1 event at the Briitsh Grand Prix 2021. Formula 1 is raving how great it is, the media is pushing this narrative in an attempt to get people to buy into it. Nico Rosberg has criticized the format on his Twitter, saying;

"This is not the right decision. Pole 100% has to go to the fastest guy in qualifying. The sprint race winner should not be awarded pole position. That will totally cannibalise the historic F1 statistics"

Is it a coincidence that Nico Rosberg was not present with Skysport this weekend?

So why is Sprint Qualifying bad for the sport?

Firstly, pole position is about the fastest car and the fastest driver earning the right to start first for the race. It's a deserving reward for the team and driver who has done the best. This is also the only time during the weekend when the car and driver are at the absolute maximum. Everyone wants to see how fast a Formula 1 car can go. How does this year's car compare to last year's car? Which car is now the fastest? Who's the fastest driver? Clawing for every bit of speed available, where hundredths of a second can make a difference.
    I donīt like that sprint race neither. Only would like to see one longer race in a weekend. Something like 15-18 years ago there was that race fuel quali, which cannibalised the quali statistics too. Like Heidfeld got pole in Nürburgring with lighter car.

Q1+Q2+Q3 system is ok, but it could also be the old 1 hour 12 laps session. I donīt know if it would be a good idea, but after that a specific session where every driver would make a standing start 100 or 200m and that time added to best quali time. Grid order then would practically be qualifying with standing start lap.

OK , I should not have mentioned anyone's name . I feel that any driver who qualifies on pole during quali; should not lose the pole position to start the race to whoever wins a sprint race. Qualifying results on race weekends and watching the results are second only to the actual race. It may be childish but that's how strongly I feel about quali for the race positions . Pole wins was or is still right up there with WCCs; Wins ; then poles. Although there are fans who believe a win from pole is not a good as a win from 2nd or less up front.
    Last edited by Brembo; 23rd July 2021 at 07:08.

Just an FYI. I enjoy Brembos posts. Reminds me of my own drunken ramblings. But I agree with Greig. I thought it was pretty good as something new and different... a spectacle. And also agree that it would work better at certain races and not all of them so if they keep the sprintsndown to 3 or 4 a year would be ok.

OK , I should not have mentioned anyone's name . I feel that any driver who qualifies on pole during quali; should not lose the pole position to start the race to whoever wins a sprint race. Qualifying results on race weekends and watching the results are second only to the actual race. It may be childish but that's how strongly I feel about quali for the race positions . Pole wins was or is still right up there with WCCs; Wins ; then poles. Although there are fans who believe a win from pole is not a good as a win from 2nd or less up front.
    Almost every category has lost its purity other than race wins and titles won. Qualy and points have changed so much over the years that those stats mean squat. At one point cars qualified with fuel.they needed to start the race. Getting pole just meant you had a lighter car.

I actually liked it but dont think points should be given. Would be better to entertain fans with a half race distance using ex drivers in older cars with proper sounding engines that burst your ears and pump your chest cavity.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Almost every category has lost its purity other than race wins and titles won. Qualy and points have changed so much over the years that those stats mean squat. At one point cars qualified with fuel.they needed to start the race. Getting pole just meant you had a lighter car.
    OK but... If a driver qualifies for pole and then loses that spot at 1st place race time for a sprint winner who BTW also picks up 3 pts!! It just seems real tough on the Quali winner . Qualifying was and is a big deal. Have a sprint race when they want to for entertainment only but don't mess with the quali results. And for sure forget getting WDC points.

You need to adjust your attitude. You wind up people with your behavior, your SLH ******** and you've been given leniency for way too long.
    To cut things short. Yes, we know you have issues with Michael Schumacher, what transpired with Reubens and/or with Massa.
    No, we simply don't care, this is not a psychiatric ward.

We're here to support Ferrari. If you're not here to do this, as Rob said, be gone.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Well said Rob, thank you !