Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Russian GP 2021 - Race

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    That is "great" Ferrari pit wall
    We are still unable to manage two cars at it seems... Ridiculous. Charles was superb doring the race, were overtaking left and right, had great pace, then came a slow pit stop which had put him in the traffic and 10s behind Alonso. He managed to deal sith the traffic and then cought Alonso again and then... he is left as the only guy on track on slicks... like ***? Are we lobotomized or what?

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Must have been Charles decision surely.
    Sometimes pit-wall should overrule the driver. As it was evident by Mercedes, they called him in. And Ferrari did pit at the ideal time with Sainz. Even Sainz told them to get the inters ready.

Surely Charles's race engineer was following the same weather radar as Carlos's race engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    What they did to Charles today...I don't remember EVER making such a poor choices in one GP from Ferrari in last decade.

They had window, 2-3 laps before they pitted first to pit INFRONT of Russell, just behind Stroll. They pitted too late by battling with Norris and Ham, who pitted. Lost additional 2s in pits for stuck tire and then they left him out TWICE in rain.

I cannot believe this, I truly can't.
    Do you know it was not Charles who decided to stay out?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Sometimes pit-wall should overrule the driver. As it was evident by Mercedes, they called him in. And Ferrari did pit at the ideal time. Even Sainz told them to get the inters ready.

Surely Charles's race engineer was following the same weather radar as Carlos's race engineer.
    Which makes me think it was Charles deciding not to pit...
    Forza Ferrari

I think the race engineer might have been banking on an immediate red flag or safety car and ended up looking a silly tool.

What they did to Charles today...I don't remember EVER making such a poor choices in one GP from Ferrari in last decade.

They had window, 2-3 laps before they pitted first to pit INFRONT of Russell, just behind Stroll. They pitted too late by battling with Norris and Ham, who already pitted, relegating him 4 places behind where he should have been. Lost additional 2s in pits for stuck tire and then they left him out TWICE in rain.

I cannot believe this, I truly can't.
    Fairly certain the garage offered a stop. Charles may have declined. We shall find out soon.

Which makes me think it was Charles deciding not to pit...
    Sure.

Charles could of decided to stay out, much like Lando.

Let's look at the bigger picture though, the engine worked well and we have favourable tracks now. No reliability issues, we can give sainz a better package at Turkey and we can end the season strongly.

Sure.
    Why not? Lando done the same....have you heard any radio from the team to Charles yet?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by patrese86 View Post
    Charles could of decided to stay out, much like Lando.

Let's look at the bigger picture though, the engine worked well and we have favourable tracks now. We can end the season strongly.
    They also waited for Norris and Hamilton to overtake him on track, and then decided to pit which put him behind the likes of Russell, Stroll, Raikkonen, Ocon and Vettel.

If there was one gamble to make it would've been full wets, they don't burn out in 4-5 laps if the track is somewhat soaked.

Why not? Lando done the same....have you heard any radio from the team to Charles yet?
    As I've said, sometimes the team should overrule the driver. Leclerc doesn't have access to weather radar when he's driving, but his engineer does. They must've seen that heavy rain is coming.

As I've said, sometimes the team should overrule the driver. Leclerc doesn't have access to weather radar when he's driving, but his engineer does. They must've seen that heavy rain is coming.
    Have you head the team radio yet before deciding?
    Forza Ferrari

Do you know it was not Charles who decided to stay out?
    Literally don't care, team should have overruled it, he doesn't have radar in his car. Everyone looking at radar was saying more rain incoming, even Ham didn't want to pit and yet they called him in.

They also waited for Norris and Hamilton to overtake him on track, and then decided to pit which put him behind the likes of Russell, Stroll, Raikkonen, Ocon and Vettel.
    That was the slow stop and not the timing.

Literally don't care, team should have overriden it. Everyone looking at radar was saying more rain incoming, even Ham didn't want to pit and yet they called him in.
    What if they did tell him to pit and he never?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by DIEK View Post
    When Sainz told to prep the tire...I immediately thought we need Sainz just to make such strategy calls. Ferrari strat team needs an upgrade like the engine.

And not to say Ferrari had more than a half a lap to see what a mistake it was from Lando. And they still didin't pit and continued... Was it Charles or the team or both, I don't know, but it was the stupidiest decission of this year.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

What if they did tell him to pit and he never?
    Then he is at fault 100%, but like in Ham case, I expected "Pit immediately, more rain incoming" would do the trick. Lets see, 2 strat mistakes would have been way too much .

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    And not to say Ferrari had more than a half a lap to see what a mistake it was from Lando. And they still didin't pit and continued... Was it Charles or the team or both, I don't know, but it was the stupidiest decission of this year.
    Charles went off same lap....
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    That was the slow stop and not the timing.
    That was a 4.8 seconds pit stop. But Leclerc did 1m42's when both Norris and Hamilton passed him on track. Before the overtakes, Leclerc was only 3.9 seconds behind Alonso. But after being overtaken, he was 8.9 seconds behind.

Ferrari has no excesses for leaving him on track for just to get overtaken and then pit him after.

Good race from Sainz. So funny he told Ferrari to keep the intermediates ready, especially after seeing what happened with Leclerc. His team radio will be interesting. Ferrari looked like amateurs, they should have ordered Leclerc to pit. It was so clear.

Lando was 50 seconds up the road when he went off the first time and when I saw ALO PIT and PER PIT but Charles stayed out I was thinking the cruellest possible words in the Swedish language. It should basically have been 'pit or you get fined' at that point.

Literally don't care, team should have overriden it. Everyone looking at radar was saying more rain incoming, even Ham didn't want to pit and yet they called him in.
    Tough to do that as they do not remotely control the car.

The Pit was lousy with the stops today but hard to imagine them not telling Charles it was time for Inters. We don’t have enough info to lay the blame on for the last 5/6 laps.

That was a 4.8 seconds pit stop. But Leclerc did 1m42's when both Norris and Hamilton passed him on track. Before the overtakes, Leclerc was only 3.9 seconds behind Alonso. But after being overtaken, he was 8.9 seconds behind.

Ferrari has no excesses for leaving him on track for just to get overtaken and then pit him after.
    LOL his race strategy was fine till the rain arrived.
    Forza Ferrari

Kimi P8...that old fox!

By the way, I would like see Fernando's onboard with rain and slick tyres...

Quote Originally Posted by gump1480 View Post
    When Sainz told to prep the tire...I immediately thought we need Sainz just to make such strategy calls. Ferrari strat team needs an upgrade like the engine.
    Vettel used to call his own strategies. Maybe Leclerc should do it as well.

Sainz already overruled them in Hungary, which in the end, turned out to be a great decision.

Sainz called it immediately “get ready for inters”… this should have triggered atleast for Charles as well.
    Will be waiting for radio messages….

LOL his race strategy was fine till the rain arrived.
    Fine for you I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Exactly! He was squirming out of corners and Haas cars were overtaking him, but he was 30-40s ahead of Charles, they knew it was bad, huge mistake. Alonso stayed out for first lap but 2nd time he pitted, everyone did, bar Norris (fighting for a win) and Charles (fighting for...what?)