Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TurkishGP 2021 Practices and Qualifying

TurkishGP 2021 Practices and Qualifying

Weather lloks nice today.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Mercs on another level

Not bad, not bad at all...

Hamilton and Sainz are with the new PU. Sainz with all new components, Hamilton only the PU.

Max and Charles are on older spec. (For Friday practice. Charles will use his upgraded PU tomorrow.)

It will be interesting to see what Charles can do with the upgraded PU starting from the Top 10.
    Last edited by tifosi1993; 8th October 2021 at 09:59.

Promising FP1, though I didn't see it live.

If Hamilton qualifies P1, gets the 10 place grid penalty and starts in 11th, does he still have to use his Q2 quali tyres or does he get a free selection of tyres? Also what happens then to the guy that qualifies 11th but gets knocked up a place to the top 10? Does that driver then need to start on Q2 tyres?

With HAM penalty, a good opportunity to score a podium for LEC.

Quote Originally Posted by RicRac View Post
    If Hamilton qualifies P1, gets the 10 place grid penalty and starts in 11th, does he still have to use his Q2 quali tyres or does he get a free selection of tyres? Also what happens then to the guy that qualifies 11th but gets knocked up a place to the top 10? Does that driver then need to start on Q2 tyres?
    HAM will have to use the Q2 Tires and the guy in 11th will have free choice even after getting promoted to 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Hamilton and Sainz are with the new PU. Sainz with all new components, Hamilton only the PU.

Hamilton also gets a new EXHAUST hence the 10 place grid penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by gump1480 View Post
    HAM will have to use the Q2 Tires and the guy in 11th will have free choice even after getting promoted to 10th.
    Interesting, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Hamilton also gets a new EXHAUST hence the 10 place grid penalty.
    He is getting a new exhaust but it's only his 4th, so no additional penalty (8 are permitted per season). He changed ICE and got 10 places.

Quote Originally Posted by springfield View Post
    He is getting a new exhaust but it's only his 4th, so no additional penalty (8 are permitted per season). He changed ICE and got 10 places.
    correct

If Charles is not using his new engine and is fast as it is, it will be interesting to see if there is a difference tomorrow and what kind of difference. Yes, it is practice but assuming this is qualy run setup and tomorrow (FP3) they will be trying full speed setups at one point, ya, it'll be interesting.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Very strong pace from Charles. Both on the short and long runs. Lost a bit of time by overtaking Giovinazzi, but still very strong pace.

And this is Friday practice, so he isn't using the new upgraded PU.

Why did Leclerc improve so little on soft tires? I know he abondoned first attempt, but he should still improve by more in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by springfield View Post
    Why did Leclerc improve so little on soft tires? I know he abondoned first attempt, but he should still improve by more in my opinion.
    Harder compounds seem to be faster

Why is CS so far down the timing sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Why is CS so far down the timing sheet?
    He was concentrating on race pace. Did not do proper quali sim at all as it would be a waste of time.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    He was concentrating on race pace. Did not do proper quali sim at all as it would be a waste of time.
    Thank you! I forgot that he is to take grid penalty

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    If Charles is not using his new engine and is fast as it is, it will be interesting to see if there is a difference tomorrow and what kind of difference. Yes, it is practice but assuming this is qualy run setup and tomorrow (FP3) they will be trying full speed setups at one point, ya, it'll be interesting.
    Seems unlikely that he is using old PU as the new electrical system required massive change in engine layout/config. Should be using the new one only.

Quote Originally Posted by gump1480 View Post
    Seems unlikely that he is using old PU as the new electrical system required massive change in engine layout/config. Should be using the new one only.
    That's a false information.

The new electrical system only requires major changes for Haas. Haas haven't made any changes to their 2021 chassis, it's basically last year's so to incorporate new engine parts, they've to make major changes. They're also a customer, not the manufacturer.

Same goes for Alfa. They are a customer, so they would also require chassis modification.

But since Ferrari are the manufacturer, they don't have to make any major internal changes to incorporate the new PU. Also it would require spending a token and taking a crash test to do so. The plan for the introduction of upgraded PU in-season has been taken way earlier, probably in the January. The SF21 has been developed to incorporate the new PU, the chassis doesn't require any major changes.

Hamilton's fix for a 10 place penalty is only a minor fix, with exhaust change and electrical unit, the engine itself is in question and its reliability.An engine change will be inevitable then it will mean the back of the grid .Damage limitation starts now for mercedes and Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    If the track condition stays the same, then we'll definitely see the difference, notably in the final sector.

Charles Leclerc (Post Practice - 2 Interview):

"The feeling was good all day but we mustn't get too carried away because the top teams will be strong and have cards to play"; Charles said at the end of the day. "We did very well even with a lot of fuel but we have to stay focused, it's only Friday, to think about how to improve the set-up for tomorrow in view of qualifying".

"I am quite happy with the current set-up. I have the rear that moves but I like it a lot. For now, we are very competitive. For this reason, I don't think we're going to change the set-up much from this point of view, even if there is something still to be optimized".

*1:23:970 was just 166 thousandths slower against the leader of the standings, Lewis Hamilton.

Tomorrow the weather forecasts indicate the possibility of rain equal to 70%, therefore very likely. This could upset what we saw today on dry asphalt. Yet Leclerc is pretty sure he can do well if the Intermediates should be the correct choice to tackle the wet track.

"If it rains, we'll see. In some places we were very competitive with the Intermediates, with the wet tires instead we struggle more, so we'll have to see how it goes tomorrow."

Encouraging times from Charles, especially if he's using the old-spec power unit, hoping it's not wet for FP3/quali and race, we've had enough of that in recent races and he needs a clean weekend. Carlos doing the development work, makes sense with a grid penalty.

I hope Charles can be in the game this weekend, particularly with Hammy starting down in midfield. Hard to say though but if he did these times with the old engine I assume there's a lot up his sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Encouraging times from Charles, especially if he's using the old-spec power unit, hoping it's not wet for FP3/quali and race, we've had enough of that in recent races and he needs a clean weekend. Carlos doing the development work, makes sense with a grid penalty.
    I keep reading this here, but... was it confirmed that he was running with old PU? Do you have a link or something? I would love to read that.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    I keep reading this here, but... was it confirmed that he was running with old PU? Do you have a link or something? I would love to read that.
    I assume just the normal engine rotation. They use to use older engines on Fridays. But none really knows if he usually using an older one or the new.
    Nevertheless I think it's not that the point, but how did we run today conpare to Mercs and RBRs,fuel load and engine modes wise???!!! IF we run similar settings with them ,we are in good condition, if we where lower on fuel and higher modes then just unother weekend fighting for 3d best!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!