Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: US GP 2021 - Race

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    We're lacking that final 2-3 tenths. Right now, we're comfortably ahead of the midfield. At the right track, we can fight for the win.

Next up is Mexico, a track that requires Monaco level downforce. Barring any reliability issues, we are in for a very good race there.
    2-3 tenths? Leclerc drove great and was 52 seconds behind Max in a 56 lap race.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    2-3 tenths? Leclerc drove great and was 52 seconds behind Max in a 56 lap race.
    Charles lifted off 5 seconds in the final few laps once the slim chance of catching Checo was done.

Also, Austin, just like Hungaroring, doesn't really play to this car's strength. Too many long and fast corners for the car to really thrive combined with a long lap and less energy stored similar to Paul Ricard. I guess if the next engine is making the adequate gains that are predicted, Leclerc could've at least been a close third in a car that hasn't been touched since May. As it was, he avoided having to fight Ricciardo for P4 by having the upgrade and instead could drive a solid race without taking too much out of the equipment.

There's a big improvement for sure. Bottas couldn't overtake Sainz on the straights and we could easily keep up with Ricciardo's fresh engine.

I think we only have an issue with getting the tyres on the working window. It takes about 1-2 laps..

Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    There's a big improvement for sure. Bottas couldn't overtake Sainz on the straights and we could easily keep up with Ricciardo's fresh engine.

I think we only have an issue with getting the tyres on the working window. It takes about 1-2 laps..
    Yes i noticed that too. That was huge for me, the Ferraris are no longer sitting ducks on the straights!

AND we had a good tire management!!!
    Till before this race we where eating our tires after 7- 8 laps!!! Now Sai was able to drive the hole 1st stint competitively on the soft tire, like the McLarens on mediums. This is the aftermath of a better set up (with more wing) because of the new pu !!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Right we don't have to sacrifice our tyre wear with low downforce setups anymore. It's one of those "other benefits" Binotto was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    Right we don't have to sacrifice our tyre wear with low downforce setups anymore. It's one of those "other benefits" Binotto was talking about.
    And it's enabling our drivers to have their preferred setup. Charles likes oversteer, he has that natural ability like Alonso to sense when the rear is stepping away and makes correction. It's enabling him to attack the corner and have a sharp turn in, and exit the corner with superior speed. That's why his corner entry speed is relatively low, but his mid-corner and exit speed is way higher than others.

Carlos on the other hand likes a stable rear end. He doesn't like either understeer or oversteer. So generally he bolts more downforce on the car than Charles. And thanks to the upgrade, he's no longer losing time on the straight with his preferred high downforce setup.

Up coming tracks will bring positive results, barring any reliability issues. I don't see any challenge from Mclaren or any other mid-field teams. They may get close to us in qualifying thanks to the DRS and Soft tyre, but on race pace, they have no answer.

I feel the main problem will be getting clean races as those two Mclarens are pretty feisty and neither of our drivers will give an inch either, Mexico may suit our car but it's not all down to speed and reliability!

Ferrari vs Mclaren race pace:
    Attachment 7869
    Last edited by Gilles; 27th October 2021 at 17:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    That implies Leclerc was outstanding at managing the wear on those medium tyres!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    That implies Leclerc was outstanding at managing the wear on those medium tyres!
    While attacking (quali drive) !!!
    And also on the hard ones