Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2021 UAE Grand Prix (The Title Decider) - Practice and Qualifying

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    It’s obvious if you see last races. Mercs has edge on race pace over RB.
    In Quali it’s RB.
    This why I don't get the hype about Mercedes engine. I guess the usual suspects here are simply repeating Horner and Marko's propaganda.

The simple fact is, Max would've been on pole in Saudi Arabia if not for his mistakes. And today he's easily on pole. The Honda engine is clearly not lacking any grunt in the qualifying.

I think you are pointing out to strategy. My question was do you still feel, Honda engine is still behind Mercs.
    I edited my post......the tow helped Max from Perez.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    This why I don't get the hype about Mercedes engine. I guess the usual suspects here are simply repeating Horner and Marko's propaganda.

The simple fact is, Max would've been on pole in Saudi Arabia if not for his mistakes. And today he's easily on pole. The Honda engine is clearly not lacking any grunt in the qualifying.
    Yup my point too….!!

We'll see how the Honda engine handles the Merc engine during the race tomorrow. I'm being cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I edited my post......the tow helped Max from Perez.
    but still Honda engine is fastest above Mercs in quali.

We'll see how the Honda engine handles the Merc engine during the race tomorrow. I'm being cautious.
    Qualifying shows the true picture, both the engine and the chassis perform at their maximum peak. And since Max has won most races this year, we already know exactly how the Honda engine performs during the race.

But pressure and tyre management are equally important. So we'll see which one of them will handle the pressure well.

but still Honda engine is fastest above Mercs in quali.
    Quali is one thing....the race is another story. Sonetimes P1, depending on the track, is not the best position meaning after 3 laps, DRS comes into play and Lewis can pounce on Max after 4 or 5 laps....then you have tire strategy.

I hope Max wins the race but like I said, I'm being cautious about the race.

That was a fun qualifying but it never is fun to lose to Norris.

At least Ricciardo is a long way off so they're almost certainly not getting a 1-3 tomorrow.

From a strategic standpoint it's going to be an interesting race and hopefully we have enough to secure 6th and 7th at the very least. If Charles is fifth then P5 overall is his unless Norris finished on the podium which I really doubt he will. Presumably, Bottas and Pérez will both make short work of Norris throughout the race.

Otherwise then, Tifosi1993's cryptonite will do a two-stop, Lulu presumably a one-stop and then it will be decided on whether a late-race overtake is possible on better tyres from some way back.
    Last edited by Tifoso Svedese; 11th December 2021 at 13:39.

Qualifying shows the true picture, both the engine and the chassis perform at their maximum peak. And since Max has won most races this year, we already know exactly how Honda engine performs during the race.

But pressure and tyre management are equally important. So we'll see which one of them will handle the pressure well.
    I sorta agree with this. Quali and race are 2 different outcomes regarding engine performance. They turn the engine up during quali...not to mention a tow also helps. During the race, the engine are'nt turned up. Then you got tire strats--> Mercs have the better tire strat.

Do you still feel Mercs engine is fast in quali ?? After Honda engine top speed?

Toto saying “probably RB went for track position in quali”.
    If they gone for track position then Perez should be 3rd.

Nico and Hill having differences of opionion.

Nico and Button having differences of opinion.

Nico is pro Max....the others are pro Lewis.

What is more important to me, is the position of Norris. Leclerc has work to do tomorrow to keep 5th.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quali is one thing....the race is another story. Sonetimes P1, depending on the track, is not the best position meaning after 3 laps, DRS comes into play and Lewis can pounce on Max after 4 or 5 laps....then you have tire strategy.

I hope Max wins the race but like I said, I'm being cautious about the race.
    I feel Mercs does have good advantage in terms of strategy. Nevertheless it’s all dependent at the start Lap1 when all lights go out.

Quote Originally Posted by DJTaurus View Post
    If they gone for track position then Perez should be 3rd.
    Team game was played & Perez doesn’t have that pace

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    What is more important to me, is the position of Norris. Leclerc has work to do tomorrow to keep 5th.
    Shame Leclerc lost it in the sector 3. Glad to see Sainz P5. Leclerc has to work to be better than P7.

Team game was played & Perez doesn’t have that pace
    agreed

I don’t understand why we still talking about Merc Vs RB engine when after Brazil Hamilton with his fresh unit is destroying even max in race pace. Also Bottas delivering better than Perez and if in the last race didn’t have the accident on first lap it could have fought with Max with P2.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    Sainz & leclerc will fight with each other on track once again. That’s how I’m seeing from last few races.
    Don’t know why they are delaying team orders until pace is gone from tyres.

Tomorrow whoever is faster should attack Norris.

Quote Originally Posted by DJTaurus View Post
    I don’t understand why we still talking about Merc Vs RB engine when after Brazil Hamilton with his fresh unit is destroying even max in race pace. Also Bottas delivering better than Perez and if in the last race didn’t have the accident on first lap it could have fought with Max with P2.
    yep, that's what I'm afraid of tomorrow. I honestly hope Lewis's spicy engine goes BOOOOOOM!!!

Verstappen in pole position!

yep, that's what I'm afraid of tomorrow. I honestly hope Lewis's spicy engine goes BOOOOOOM!!!
    7 time WDC experience vs arrogant talented driver

FYI, Lewis was in this situation couple of times. Also he like hunting it down. That’s where I feel he has the edge over max tmrw.

Ferrari picking up the scraps again that about it.Surely next year there is a seat at the head of the table,the hybrid era can not finish quick enough .Scraps only in abu dabi.

Does anyone knows how Lec managed his S2 time?? did he had a tow or something??
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Does anyone knows how Lec managed his S2 time?? did he had a tow or something??
    No tow, it was a genuine pace. He did personal best in the S1 and 2, but his sector 3 was pretty poor, he did 30.3 in his final attempt which was 2 tenths slower than his personal best.

Ahead of one McLaren…Good day?
    Charles: "No! Not very happy because the first and second sector were coming together really strong. I think I was there with P3. Then in the last sector, I basically pushed too much in S1 and S2, and lost with tyres. Τhere was no any particular mistake, just no grip at all & struggling with the rear and the front actually. Just overheating from all four tyres. It is a shame but it is life. I think we are strong in the race pace. Hopefully we can put everything together tomorrow!"
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    Lol crofty was praying for a lap deletion for Verstappen for track limits. Buddy, relax, your golden boy has half a second on Verstappen.

Stellar lap from Leclerc, seems we don’t have the 1 lap pace this weekend. Let’s see how q2 and 3 goes….
    No way am I a HAM fan and I'm insulted that you have misunderstood my rant about free to air race coverage in the UK this weekend, just because it's possibly HAM's 8th title.....I have been paying Sky and its cronies all year to watch races live, preferably muted as Crofty & Co drive me mad most of the time.

Quali could have been better for us without Lando in P3 and Carlos must have nursed his tyres better than Charles, but there isn't much in it and P5/7 isn't too bad. Hope we can have an incident-free race and that both drivers manage to cover any Mclaren threat. Prefer a Max WDC to another HAM-fest, but wish it was one of ours.

AMuS

Ferrari found out during Friday's race simulations that the soft tyre lasts longer than expected. Binotto: "This gives us the freedom to race with one or two stops. I think Verstappen is not so badly served with his tyre choice."

Before qualifying I was worried but with the current pace I think Verstappen has a good chance tomorrow even if in race conditions the Mercedes is still faster.

Hopefully he will be able to stay in front at the start.

Maybe because Max is just that fast and Lewis is perhaps overrated?

Bottas took a dump and only found 2 tenths over his Medium tire run otherwise he would have been 3rd. Perez a whopping 8 tenths behind, and fortunate to be 4th as he got to benefit from a tow as well (according to the commentators).

Everyone suggested qualifying in Jeddah was critical, so it's possible RBR put more emphasis on quali pace. The car was only fast with Max, Perez was no where. In the race Max's best pace on mediums was still 7 tenths slower than the Mercedes on worn hards and a broken wing, which was apparently worth 4 tenths.

What people just couldn't grasp was they thought the Brazil straightline speed was all down to horsepower, when in fact it was likely more down to aero. Since Red Bull brought their book of "proof" to the Stewards about Mercedes running their own legal - illegal rear wing, their straight line speed advantage seems to have reduced.

Honda certainly isn't making any more power.