Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2131415161718192021222324252627

Thread: F1 2022 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Ferrari drivers need Max & Merc in their mirrors.

I dont get it.

When ferrari sets fastest times : It is just testing , lap times are useless

When redbull sets fastest times : Omg! The Championship is over , Redbull so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JacKy View Post
    I dont get it.

When ferrari sets fastest times : It is just testing , lap times are useless

When redbull sets fastest times : Omg! The Championship is over , Redbull so fast.
    That's pretty much why I don't bother with testing times. I listen to what Binotto says. Seems his comments are rather contradictory this year which would seem to confirm that no one knows where anyone stands given the new formula.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    That's pretty much why I don't bother with testing times. I listen to what Binotto says. Seems his comments are rather contradictory this year which would seem to confirm that no one knows where anyone stands given the new formula.
    Extremely contradictory

Ferrari had there engine tuned down more than redbull and mercedes when doing a flying lap.I believe we do have the best engine on the grid now no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    Bodywork wise yes, but the engines are still an evolution from the previous regulations.
    The engine is also a rework from last year.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Ferrari had there engine tuned down more than redbull and mercedes when doing a flying lap.I believe we do have the best engine on the grid now no doubt.
    If we have a monster of an engine as I suspect we do, it will be sweet revenge for the two years we had to work for the new rules.
    Combined with the aero that as it turns out it is a good one , I don't see why we cannot go for the championships.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    If we have a monster of an engine as I suspect we do, it will be sweet revenge for the two years we had to work for the new rules.
    Combined with the aero that as it turns out it is a good one , I don't see why we cannot go for the championships.
    Fight for the championships was the objective
    Last year engine was the 2020 reworked one. this year engine is a completely new one
    Remember Binotto's statements since a year are to be on par or the benchmark engine side
    Last edited by Gilles; 16th March 2022 at 13:40.

Ferrari optimistic they have wiped out Mercedes/Honda deficit
    Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto is cautiously optimistic that the team have matched the power coming from Mercedes and Red Bull’s engines heading into the new season.

The incoming freeze on power units until the end of the 2025 season has led to each manufacturer scrambling to wring as much power as possible from what they produce because, as Mercedes’ James Allison put it: “All the goodness that you can possibly pack into it has to be packed into it now, or forever hold your peace because, after that, changes will be very, very difficult to make real.”

The consensus from within Formula 1 and Binotto himself was that the Ferrari power unit had lagged behind their Mercedes and Honda [now Red Bull Powertrains] counterparts, but testing has brought out a tentative feeling from the Scuderia’s team boss that they may have eradicated the gap.

Of course, there are circumstances which prevent him and the team from knowing for sure where they stand, but when the conditions were right, Binotto was pleased with what he saw.

The Smooth Operator means business ��#essereFerrari �� #BahrainGP pic.twitter.com/EowUCxyGvA

— Scuderia Ferrari (@ScuderiaFerrari) March 16, 2022

“Knowing that from this year the engines will be frozen for the next four seasons, it was obviously important to start with a power unit that had no performance gap to the competition,” he explained, as per Motorsport.com.

“At the end of last season we had a gap of 20-25 horsepower, so the first goal was to cancel this margin.

“At the moment we are not yet able to understand what the values on track are, as the measurements that we take using the GPS system have a certain accuracy, but they are not super precise. They are also influenced by the weight of the car, and without this data the estimate is difficult.

“When we are at a race weekend, there are moments, like in qualifying and at the start of the race, where we know the weight of the opponents’ cars. But during the tests, this data is obviously not available.

“Then, there is also the slipstream effect, so you have to find laps without external influences.”

He added that it takes a little bit of time to get a full picture on where each engine’s power stacks up, and he feels that if the data matches what Ferrari predict, they may even go one step further and claim to have the most potent power unit on the grid.

“In the tests, from the little we saw, we conducted an exercise and according to this initial analysis, we are at the level of the others,” Binotto said. “We are certainly not behind them, and perhaps we have a little more.

“But that is not a firm conclusion. We can only be satisfied for now in having confirmed the progress seen on the test bench.”
    Red is the only color!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Fight for the championships was the objective
    Last year engine was the 2020 reworked one. this year engine is a completely new one
    Remember Binotto's statements since a year are to be on par or the benchmark engine side
    Yes this was what I intended to say. This year's engine is a completely different animal compared to last year's.
    Until we crank it up for qualify, we cannot possibly know how it performs; we only know that it's stable since it made 6,000+ km. over 2 test sessions which is a good thing.