Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2022 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Why wait until next test to bring updates? Do teams need the full 3 days to do correlation work? I would think 1 or 1.5 days are enough, and that the sooner you can get closer to your race spec the more time you have to evaluate it and test things like tyre wear as well.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Why wait until next test to bring updates? Do teams need the full 3 days to do correlation work? I would think 1 or 1.5 days are enough, and that the sooner you can get closer to your race spec the more time you have to evaluate it and test things like tyre wear as well.
    I am sure most of us underestimate what goes into testing a brand new car on brand new tires.

Obvious system and reliability checks.
    Does the actual aero correlate with the wind tunnel data?
    Driveability
    Balance
    Fuel usage
    Tire wear
    Ride height affects
    Floor wear
    Effects of changing front wing flap (through all the adjustments)
    Setup changes
    Long run pace
    consistency
    outright pace
    estimated wear on PU, gearbox, etc
    temperatures

3 days isn't a lot of time to test things. Getting the best understanding of the tires will far outweigh any updates the team has to bring. Who knows if updates are even designed yet, let alone built.

On top this one need to understand what works and doesn't work on current car and then design a fix for that part and fabricate them which is a long process, so I think we'll not see any updates in this test.

Worthwhile looking at others and see what ideas they have come up with then try those in CFD for your car and eventually produce an upgrade. At this moment everything is unknown except maybe engine horsepower, and performance in sectors.

Good to see that mclaren with a similar fat body design to ours is can be a decent car.
    We are still faster in sector 3 which is very promising.

Is it front axle aero test day ,today???!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Day 2 and Alfa is still having issues this morning. ffs!!!!
    It's not how start but how you finish.

If we are looking slightly into some performance then yes S3 was encouraging especially as Vettel said they are like tanks round slow corners. Also we were 5kph quicker on the straight than last year despite running the engine in a very conservative mode. But we know these cars are much quicker in straight lines now so maybe also hard to read

Every year, its the Toto and Lewis show, talking up our chances and tellin the media crap about how strong we are going to be, makes me sick!
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

"Porpoising - it’s the buzzword at the start of this new rules era. Effectively the cars rock or bounce up and down as the air attaches and reattached itself when they approach Vmax. Like yesterday, it’s Hamilton who appears to be suffering most with it this morning. The Merc is wallowing even before the 400m board on the run to Turn 1. You can here the revs rise and fall in sync as the W13 is unsettled. Looks a touch violent

Source:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/live-te...day-2/1112972/

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    Every year, its the Toto and Lewis show, talking up our chances and tellin the media crap about how strong we are going to be, makes me sick!
    If Mercedes have a mare of a season, that would be very, very sweet!
    Trying to be less angry..

F1 statement on Russian Grand Prix in the context of the invasion of Ukraine: "F1 is closely watching the very fluid developments like many others and at this time has no further comment on the race scheduled for September. We will continue to monitor the situation very closely."

looking at the top 5 or 6 teams, I have a feeling Alpine will be quite slow.
    Other than that, it's difficult to make predictions.

If you want predictions:
    I would pay a hell of lot attention to McLaren

Ferrar max speed 323 km/h is this real? Last year it was 318?

Quote Originally Posted by farid-baku View Post
    Ferrar max speed 323 km/h is this real? Last year it was 318?
    its only 2nd day of testing, does that answer your question?

Matt Kew
    13:21 "Hamilton isn’t getting on too well with this new set of C3 Pirellis. On his out lap there was a big lock up from the front-left into Turn 10, then again next time around. And for good measure, he then locked the front right at Turn 13 so it didn’t feel left out. Then, the Merc has come round again and aborted Turn 13 altogether. Perhaps there’s been a lot of tweaking to the set-up to try and combat the W13’s penchant for porpoising. Either way, it looks unwieldy."
    Merc looks to have some issues. But we will have to wait because it reminds me of '19 ,where they also had issues in the 1st test and then they fixed everything on the 2nd and took pole/win on the 1st race!!!!!
    We looks quite healthy with a lot of laps without problems running our program like a clock!!!!
    Hope we don't jinx it again!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

That's quite some wire noodles in our sidepod. Do they tidy that up or is that on purpose for a reason?

Whats with all the scratch marks on the body work?

does anybody know at what lap in the stint did Charles and Carlos post their fastest times, was it a single fast lap or a stint?

I think Charles did at the end of 15 lap stint.

Quote Originally Posted by speedmaster View Post
    I think Charles did at the end of 15 lap stint.
    Thanks, that is good news.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    F1 statement on Russian Grand Prix in the context of the invasion of Ukraine: "F1 is closely watching the very fluid developments like many others and at this time has no further comment on the race scheduled for September. We will continue to monitor the situation very closely."
    What is their to monitor? Moskali are attacking a sovereign nation. What else do you have to monitor? I swear the FIA are a bunch of [NATO designation for a MiG15]s

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Merc looks to have some issues. But we will have to wait because it reminds me of '19 ,where they also had issues in the 1st test and then they fixed everything on the 2nd and took pole/win on the 1st race!!!!!
    We looks quite healthy with a lot of laps without problems running our program like a clock!!!!
    Hope we don't jinx it again!!!!
    Merc always plays possum in winter testing. Nothing new.

F1 is a joke where it comes to Certain issues... blm before country sovereignty, lgbt before women's rights ... see the logic...

if the russian gp goes ahead, I will close my chapter on Formula one viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    What is their to monitor? Moskali are attacking a sovereign nation. What else do you have to monitor? I swear the FIA are a bunch of [NATO designation for a MiG15]s

HAAS looks to be affected by what's happening with Russia(Uralkali).

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    Word of advice.
    Just pay attention to what the team does. Toto and Lulu are irrelevant.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
    F1 is a joke where it comes to Certain issues... blm before country sovereignty, lgbt before women's rights ... see the logic...

if the russian gp goes ahead, I will close my chapter on Formula one viewing.
    Bingo. They kneel for a Marxist quasi-terrorist organization responsible for $2B in damage and over 20 people dead in the US alone but "monitor" a nation starting an unprovoked war. They throw up pride flags everywhere but race in countries where being gay is illegal.

HAAS looks to be affected by what's happening with Russia(Uralkali).
    Meh...

Gene Haas:

he-chose-poorly-2.jpg

Haas was not alone in his worries. Alfa Romeo, Williams, Aston Martin, Alpine and Mercedes also touched down and rocked on the home straight. Ferrari and McLaren were least affected. Factors such as ground clearance and suspension travel play a role in the phenomenon.
    "We still have a lot to learn about the setup," confirms Haas team boss Guenther Steiner. "We're looking for the happy medium. Not too low so that the car doesn't touch down, but not too high either so that too much downforce is lost." Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff sums it up: "The key to fast laps is to drive as low as possible and still have the problem of bouncing under control. Ferrari and McLaren are currently the best at it."
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

sounds good, but coming from Toto, i dont trust him as far as i can throw him

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Bingo. They kneel for a Marxist quasi-terrorist organization responsible for $2B in damage and over 20 people dead in the US alone but "monitor" a nation starting an unprovoked war. They throw up pride flags everywhere but race in countries where being gay is illegal.

Meh...

Gene Haas:

he-chose-poorly-2.jpg
    Well said. Let's see how Sir Lewis of Hamilton deals with this one. As least Seb has said his piece..
    Trying to be less angry..