Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Predictions

2022 Predictions

Testing is over, the race is 1 week away. Let's hear your predictions for the season.

WCC:

1) Red Bull - They have gone extreme with an aero philosophy that has been proven to work since 2017. Their downwash coke-bottle design has proved to work since the early 2010s. Newey has been around long enough that ground effects likely are not a steep learning curve for him. I saw the most telemetry from Red Bull (mostly Perez) and it suggested even with the fastest times set, they still held back. I haven't seen it myself, but most people are saying the Red Bull now has the least amount of porpoising.

2) Mercedes - I think they have the most potential to develop. I don't think they have the car sorted yet, the porpoising issue is still quite bad for them. The no sidepod design has some aero advantages for sure, but it also shoves the packaging somewhat higher and their COG may not be optimal. It's also very close to the centerline of the car, which is a good thing. The one sure thing Mercedes will have is a strong power unit. No reason not to believe they won't still have the best PU once again. Watching Russell's fast lap in Day 3 testing, the car accelerated the fastest. Reports (even from Ferrari) say Mercedes looks to be the fastest in the slow corners. That's significant.

3) Ferrari - They may actually come out of the gate very strong. I'd have to believe they have the best understanding of their car since it's stayed pretty much the same since launch day. It's been stable, reliable, and appears to be quick. Not bringing any real updates is comforting and concerning at the same time. It can suggest the car is good and the real car correlates with their simulations. That's fantastic. However it may also mean the car is near it's maximum potential already. That is not good. Mercedes and Red Bull both had HUGE, B spec updates before the first race. This suggests the rate of learning on this 2022 Formula was off the charts. Ferrari had loads of CFD and Wind Tunnel time, and the design they went with has yet to evolve. Their PU is still a question mark.

4) Mclaren - Should still enjoy the Mercedes power, but I never saw them looking all that impressive during testing. In fact it seems they struggled more as testing went on. Probably because other teams figured things out better than they did. They should have the team and resources to solidly be in 4th place, but they seem to be a good bit off the top 3.

5) AlphaTauri - No surprise they share a similar design to Red Bull, which as I stated earlier is a design that makes sense to me. Mr 6th place Pierre should still be a star to his team. Yuki remains to prove himself worthy of F1. I ranked him near the bottom in 2021, and I believe his lack of performance will hurt the team in the WCC points. The car isn't as fast as I expected (from what can be judged in testing), but I think the potential is there and it looks better than the following.

Ranks 6-10 are a toss up, which is exciting.

6) Alpine - At times they seem like they could be in the bottom 3, their engine is probably the worst. Reliability could be a huge issue for them. Realistically they could be as low as 9th or 10th by the end of the year. But they have a very solid driver line up and good resources. While I expect more then a few DNF's, I also could see them getting double points here and there.

7) Alfa Romeo - Another long shot perhaps, as they easily could be 9th or 10th. If the Ferrari engine is good, the team can grow and score some good points. They have always been there to scoop up points, even being the 2nd worst team last year. With Zhou money and Bottas experience and good attitude, I think they will have a decent year.

8) Aston Martin - the car has looked pretty bad in testing to me, but they still have that Mercedes power and a big check book to maximize the budget cap. The team should easily be 6th, but it would not surprise me if they finish 10th. Ever since Stroll took over, the bang for buck production coming out of the factory just hasn't been there.

9) Williams - I suspect they could be as good as the 6th best car to start the season. The driver line up is still suspect. Latifi might be the worst driver on the grid. Albon has been out for a year. Since enjoying Mercedes hybrid power from 2014, the chassis and aero departments have been a let down each and every year. No reason to expect anything different in 2022.

10) Haas - The team had some struggles in testing already. Losing their money sponsor will likely have implications on the team as the season goes on. Hopefully the car is at least capable of mixing it up and not just a 19th & 20th paced car. Mick still needs to prove he can compete. Magnussen has been gone for a year too. Should be better than last year, but the team has some issues.

WDC:

1) Verstappen - if he has the best car, he should win it
    2) Hamilton - F1 will make sure he's in the hunt for his 8th, if the car is as good as I think
    3) Leclerc - give him a winning car and he'll get up there
    4) Sainz - most consistent driver last year
    5) Russell - hope he beats Hamilton, but it's still Lewis' team.
    6) Perez - May finish 3rd if the car is the best, but is still a wingman to Max when necessary.
    7) Norris - won't have the car under him.
    8) Gasly - MVP of 2021, silently scoopin points.
    9) Ricciardo - still will be slower than Norris
    10) Alonso - one of the best drivers in an incapable car. Tradition.

Incredible work, hat down.
    I think that if I ventured to make a prediction, it would be quite close to yours. However, I still don’t know what to think on the PU side. I’m confident that Ferrari’s will be verystrong, I don’t know what Honda did and I fear a bit Mercedes. In the end, I love Ferrari and Charles too much to want to give the victory to another, even if I know that reason should dictate something else to me

For the start I think Ferrari is ahead of Mercedes but I'd place Haas way higher in the order.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

My only prediction for this year is that the last 3 teams will be AR/Williams/Haas, with no particular order :)
    For the top it's RB/Ferrari/McLaren/Mercedes (probably with this order).

It's going to be very hard for a Masi finish to happen again. Merc may well have an equal chance at WCC this year and WDC. Ferrari is truly in the mix for the wins. Meanwhile each top team says the other guy is better so far for the start of the season, esp Merc. They talk like there not even in the main race.

I'm not tempting fate by predicting anything except that we have the car and drivers and we can at least put up a real fight.....! I don't trust RB, Merc or even Mclaren to dash our hopes.

1 Ferrari

1 Charles

Who cares about the rest
    Forza Ferrari

Nobody can make safe predictions at all . not even the teams themselves !!!
    AND i dont really like the philosophy of many : Downplay badly our team and praise the others ,so they are covered each way. IF we lose they will say "i told you so",IF we win the will just say " im happy i was wrong and we are all delighted !!"
    SO i just hope for the best it thats all !!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

My prediction for Bahrain 2022:

1. Ferrari & Mercedes
    2. Red Bull
    3. Alpine
    4. Aston Martin
    5. Mclaren
    6. Alfa Romeo
    7. Haas
    8. Alpha Tauri
    9. Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    1 Ferrari

1 Charles

Who cares about the rest
    I'd like to have said that but again I'm not going to tempt fate! To agree with you, Greig, is quite something for this site! No offence intended. And Carlos as runner-up, of course.

After the past two seasons I'd gladly take it if we can show up like in 2017 and 2018 and take five-seven wins. It's a major step in the right direction.

However, if we're neck and neck for P1 for real then the WCC is the absolute minimum. Charles has not been in any WDC fight so it remains to be seen whether he could pull it off on the first attempt. I'm being a bit reserved with that. Carlos could win a race or two if the car is right but let's be real about who is the would-be Ferrari champion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post

However, if we're neck and neck for P1 for real then the WCC is the absolute minimum. Charles has not been in any WDC fight so it remains to be seen whether he could pull it off on the first attempt. I'm being a bit reserved with that. Carlos could win a race or two if the car is right but let's be real about who is the would-be Ferrari champion here.
    Just my observation over the years, but being P1 in qualifying is quite different than race pace. So wth that in mind, IF Ferrari is behind after the race is finished by 50 seconds to over a minute (track dependent of course) then Ferrari....well you know the rest.

It remains to be seen......
    It's not how start but how you finish.

It seems that this years' car is stronger in race trim than over one lap though from what I've gathered so hopefully that's the case. With the porpoising and the ease to follow other cars, it wouldn't surprise me if the grid in Bahrain is a bit different to the end result. If we'd go completely for race pace we might have a car capable of fighting for the win from P7 on the grid for all I know. It all depends on how aggressive some teams are to get track position early on before they can understand how easy or not it is to get overtaken in the race.

I remember in 2003, Michael and Rubens were fuelled super light to levels that cost them the race in Australia because no-one knew what would be required for pole or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    1 Ferrari

1 Charles

Who cares about the rest

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Predictions for Bahrain 2022

1. Max
    2. Leclerc or Sainz
    3. Perez
    4. Leclerc or Sainz
    5. Lewis

so

1. Redbull
    2. Ferrari
    3. Mercedes

I honestly don't think Mercedes will fix their porpoising issues in a weeks time, hence they will be behind Redbull and Ferrari.

For the last places, in Bahrein, is see Alfa Romeo. Ok, easy prediction as Bottas said the gearbox can't finish a race.
    Also, for me, Charles is already the champion since his arrival at Ferrari, when i watch races, my eyes are only on two numbers : the gap with the driver in front of him and the one with the driver behind him. Sometimes also the gap to the leader. I hope he will lead soon, then i will have to see only one number, it would be better for my eyes

before the engine issues, Ferrari was well ahead of Red Bull throughout the turbo hybrid era, i see no reason why that level of form will not return

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    before the engine issues, Ferrari was well ahead of Red Bull throughout the turbo hybrid era, i see no reason why that level of form will not return
    Maybe because RedBull had a Renault PU during most of the turbo-hybrid era???.......Thank-you Honda!!!

I think Ferrari have a really good
    Engine this year. Seeing how the hybrid update worked last year, I'm pretty sure they are going to be competitive and so will their customer teams. Ferrari numero uno this year. I think they will be fast.

I see Ferrari vs Red Bull for the time being. I hope Fernando has tools to take on Hamilton, boy I want to see that

Russell speaking out after all is said and done so far sees Merc behind Ferrari and R Bull going into the 1st race. Will he finish in the points?

Hamilton declaring that THIS YEAR Mercedes really aren't sandbagging, are genuinely behind Ferrari and RB and won't be fighting for wins early on in the season is the greatest bit of Tototalk (Mercedes sandbagging) to date!
    Trying to be less angry..

Ferrari: F1 2022 car not a race winner just yet

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ferrari-f1-2022-car-not-a-race-winner-just-yet/8983954/

F1 season preview: Who's hot and who's not after F1 testing

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/33493792/f1-season-preview-hot-not-f1-testing

For the first time in years I am actually cautiously optimistic.
    I believe that Ferrari is setting up for at least one of the two titles.
    With everything I've been reading from TECHNICAL websites (caps fully intended), we've seen nothing yet, considering the power of the engine
    and I have a feeling that we've got the best engine in the field.
    If that is true and condidering that we've got a good aero , I don't see why we cannot get a championship.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Maybe because RedBull had a Renault PU during most of the turbo-hybrid era???.......Thank-you Honda!!!
    Why not open up a Red Bull fan forum and show your appreciation there. Still don't understand what you're doing here.

Renault engine was the main reason for their 2010-2013 success. And it's not like the FIA forced them to use another manufacturer's power unit, Red Bull are more than welcome to fund and build their own engines.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    3) Ferrari - They may actually come out of the gate very strong. I'd have to believe they have the best understanding of their car since it's stayed pretty much the same since launch day. It's been stable, reliable, and appears to be quick. Not bringing any real updates is comforting and concerning at the same time. It can suggest the car is good and the real car correlates with their simulations. That's fantastic. However it may also mean the car is near it's maximum potential already. That is not good. Mercedes and Red Bull both had HUGE, B spec updates before the first race. This suggests the rate of learning on this 2022 Formula was off the charts. Ferrari had loads of CFD and Wind Tunnel time, and the design they went with has yet to evolve. Their PU is still a question mark.
    Another useless hottake from our aero expert.

You were bashing Ferrari's design when the car was unveiled and called it as a "failure". And now you are saying the the F1-75 has already reached it's potential.

It took a major upgrade for your favorite team to catch up with Ferrari. Maybe you should keep quite about subjects that are way above your mental faculties.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Why not open up a Red Bull fan forum and show your appreciation there. Still don't understand what you're doing here. .
    Here we go....yet again. I was just clarifying the OP's statement...,like I'm doing with you right now.

Renault engine was the main reason for their 2010-2013 success..
    That was during the V-8 with KERS PU,.....quite different from the turbo-hybrid PU that started in 2014.

And it's not like the FIA forced them to use another manufacturer's power unit,..... .
    Redbull wanted to drop the Renault PU but Mercedes and Ferrari did'nt want to supply them during the turbo-hybrid era, so they were stuck with Renault.

Red Bull are more than welcome to fund and build their own engines.
    That chapter has just started. RedBull has taken over the Milton Keynes facility that what once Honda's engine facility.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Here we go....yet again. I was just clarifying the OP's statement...,like I'm doing with you right now.

That was during the V-8 with KERS PU,.....quite different from the turbo-hybrid PU that started in 2014.

Redbull wanted to drop the Renault PU but Mercedes and Ferrari did'nt want to supply them during the turbo-hybrid era, so they were stuck with Renault.

That chapter has just started. RedBull has taken over the Milton Keynes facility that what once Honda's engine facility.
    Sorry mate , but this looks to me like you trying desperately to defend REDBULL/HONDA. WHY???
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Sorry mate , but this looks to me like you trying desperately to defend REDBULL/HONDA. WHY???
    ....just stating the facts against the OP that questioned me being here and his so called knowledge about Redbull....that's all.