View Poll Results: How do you feel about Sprint Qualifying?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like it.

9 20.45%
  • Hate it.

29 65.91%
  • Couldn’t care less

6 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Qualifying

Sprint Qualifying

Thoughts?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

of all the things wrong with F1, qualifying wasnt one of them.

It makes the Friday more fun due to Qualy being on Friday. Not enough to make the change permanently. I prefer the standard format

Usual format is fine and doesn't need changing. Additional damage and wear and tear on cars would eat into funds already constricted by cost cap.
    PLEASE LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE and bring back the grid girls you dummies!

waste of RESOURCES... so much for preaching about cost saving.
    The sprint races are a joke.

I voted hate, though I don't hate it but I'm not fond of it.

Hate it.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

it should be removed as soon as possible.

For anyone that likes it, can you give the reasons why you like it?

I could write a pretty long list of reasons why I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    For anyone that likes it, can you give the reasons why you like it?

I could write a pretty long list of reasons why I hate it.
    Since I like it, why not?
    It adds spice to the sport, it's something out of the ordinary. At least last year there were cases of races that were sort of "pedal to the medal" which I really enjoyed.

So why not?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Since I like it, why not?
    It adds spice to the sport, it's something out of the ordinary. At least last year there were cases of races that were sort of "pedal to the medal" which I really enjoyed.

So why not?
    I believe qualifying should be about the fastest driver and the fastest car, it determines the right to start as far forward as possible (excluding penalties). The sprint race does not support this philosophy.

The sprint race spoils certain unknowns that would be found in the race. For example tire wear on the softs, and how easily cars can pass, or the fight between rivals.

Accidents can not only damage the car unnecessarily, a driver can often to collected in a crash from no fault of their own and then start the race in a compromised position, which is unfair.

With the budget cap in place, damaging cars or engines ran to the limit for an extended time is contradicting to the motto.

The sprint race usually is just a couple laps of excitement and then turns into follow the leader for the rest of the race anyways.

With Friday's "sprint qualifying", it limits the teams and drivers from dialing in their cars. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but I support that when it's caused by weather.

Qualifying format since 2010 has been an excellent way of comparing teammates. Sprint race muddies that data.

Qualifying in low fuel was a great way to see the performance comparison of the cars year after year. Sprint races greatly reduce the accuracy of those comparisons.

It has an impact on the history books. Silverstone 2021, Hamilton deserved pole for being the fastest in qualifying on Friday, however the history books will show Verstappen as the pole sitter for winning the sprint race.

Sprint races have a points value, which mean a bad track or bad weekend for a car/driver can be very costly. Get wrecked in sprint race, and fail to score points because of that in the real race, meanwhile their rival wins both. That's a huge points swing.

I thought this had changed for this year and sundays race will start in the order they qualified in on friday?

I don't like it, it's too manufactured for the actual GP's grid to be based on the sprint race result and there's too much likelihood of damage to cars with that extra race mileage. Quali on a Saturday works fine as it is.

OFF WITH IT'S HEAD!
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

I like the sprint added to the regular event schedule for selected events. More contact and action for the fans. More opportunity and risks for teams and drivers.

I don!t like it at all... I love the buildup to the weekend. To watch the cars getting better or worse due to setup, to guess, to start slowly, not just jump into action right away. You know... there's reason foreplay exists.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    I don!t like it at all... I love the buildup to the weekend. To watch the cars getting better or worse due to setup, to guess, to start slowly, not just jump into action right away. You know... there's reason foreplay exists.
    I'm ALL FOR foreplay under other circumstances;) but not in F1!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    LOL such a great analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    OFF WITH IT'S HEAD!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    Usual format is fine and doesn't need changing. Additional damage and wear and tear on cars would eat into funds already constricted by cost cap.
    PLEASE LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE and bring back the grid girls you dummies!
    1) Ridiculous messing about with a perfectly good system.

2) Definitely! I'm old enough to remember the Giacobazzi girls at races in Italy..

Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    I believe qualifying should be about the fastest driver and the fastest car, it determines the right to start as far forward as possible (excluding penalties). The sprint race does not support this philosophy.

The sprint race spoils certain unknowns that would be found in the race. For example tire wear on the softs, and how easily cars can pass, or the fight between rivals.

Accidents can not only damage the car unnecessarily, a driver can often to collected in a crash from no fault of their own and then start the race in a compromised position, which is unfair.

With the budget cap in place, damaging cars or engines ran to the limit for an extended time is contradicting to the motto.

The sprint race usually is just a couple laps of excitement and then turns into follow the leader for the rest of the race anyways.

With Friday's "sprint qualifying", it limits the teams and drivers from dialing in their cars. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but I support that when it's caused by weather.

Qualifying format since 2010 has been an excellent way of comparing teammates. Sprint race muddies that data.

Qualifying in low fuel was a great way to see the performance comparison of the cars year after year. Sprint races greatly reduce the accuracy of those comparisons.

It has an impact on the history books. Silverstone 2021, Hamilton deserved pole for being the fastest in qualifying on Friday, however the history books will show Verstappen as the pole sitter for winning the sprint race.

Sprint races have a points value, which mean a bad track or bad weekend for a car/driver can be very costly. Get wrecked in sprint race, and fail to score points because of that in the real race, meanwhile their rival wins both. That's a huge points swing.
    While everything you post are valid, one could say that nothing there are not part of rules.
    All I am saying is that change is not a bad thing.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    OFF WITH IT'S HEAD!
    Black Adder ? :D

I've only just read that the Sprint races will now earn points down to P8, 8 points for the win down to 1 point for 8th. And pole will still be recognised for the Friday quali, even though the driver may not start the race from pole, depending on where he finishes in the Sprint! Talk about confusing and change isn't always for the better, unless you're winning!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I've only just read that the Sprint races will now earn points down to P8, 8 points for the win down to 1 point for 8th. And pole will still be recognised for the Friday quali, even though the driver may not start the race from pole, depending on where he finishes in the Sprint! Talk about confusing and change isn't always for the better, unless you're winning!
    When did they change the point system for the sprint? This new format can either help us extend our point advantage or help our competitors close the gap over one weekend should something go wrong.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Black Adder ? :D
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    When did they change the point system for the sprint? This new format can either help us extend our point advantage or help our competitors close the gap over one weekend should something go wrong.
    To be honest I was counting to MAX points extension for Ferrari. 1-2 in sprint + 1-2 in race + CL FL

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    To be honest I was counting to MAX points extension for Ferrari. 1-2 in sprint + 1-2 in race + CL FL
    That would be the ideal situation, but anything can happen in these sprint races. I am hopping for the best outcome so we can maximize our point lead as well!

Another thing to note with the new sprint race rules is that teams will be allowed to spend an extra $150,000 per sprint. Also, teams will get an added $100,000 if a car retires from the sprint. How much you want to bet some teams will deliberately not finish to get the extra money.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I don't like it, it's too manufactured for the actual GP's grid to be based on the sprint race result and there's too much likelihood of damage to cars with that extra race mileage. Quali on a Saturday works fine as it is.
    Give Liberty a few more years and 'sprint qualifying' will be the least Disney-esque new gimmick!
    Trying to be less angry..

Hate it, it's a stupid idea that turned out even worse than expected. I'm happy we only have three this year, but I'd prefer zero!

Get rid of it!

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    People tend to forget, Max is 7 points away from a race ban ;)