Thread: 2022 Spanish GP: Post Race Analysis

2022 Spanish GP: Post Race Analysis

6 laps into the Spanish Grand Prix and it appeared like it was going to be a follow the leader, tire management race of pure boredom. So happy that was not the case at all. There was passing and defending across the whole field, the immense amount of different tire strategies held a lot of unknowns and kept us fascinated. All in all, a great Spanish GP.

Red Bull were being tipped as the best car in the race, and that might have been the case as they were strong all race with both cars. Verstappen of course winning despite a slight off track moment from a gust of wind. His stint on soft tires where he was 3 seconds faster Russell was pretty impressive. Of course the DRS issue which hurt him in quali hurt him again in the race. Will Red Bull's minor reliability issues continue to hurt their championship going forward? You have to feel bad for Perez. He drove a great race, was a team player start to finish. I think he earned the right to fight his teammate for the win. Despite Horner's comments about the temperatures and risks, I think their cars had the Mercedes covered enough to let them race. Especially in race 6 of 22.

Mercedes brought another update (budget hey?) and this one seems to have worked. The porpoising appears to be solved, and it absolutely unlocked a big chunk of the car's potential. Their quali pace may not have been very close, but their race pace was very very good. George Russell had a hard and fair fight with Verstappen. Exciting racing to say the least, and once the Merc is dialed in, I expect more of it. Another solid finish is vital to his championship, as if Mercedes returns to dominance, he may still have a shot. Lewis Hamilton had a great recovery drive. Earned 4th, but had to drop back because of some overheating. The incident with Magnussen was a racing incident, which happens. However, it was pretty appalling to hear Lewis wanting to quit after just a few laps despite always giving the "never give up" speech to the media.

Ferrari have to be a bit devastated. Most will assume that Leclerc had this race in the bag. Was in complete control, had the tire management and speed that gave him all options to cover any situation. Then some rotten bad luck erases an almost certain 25+ points. F1 can be a harsh sport. Sainz has to pretty much be embarrassed by his performance. Another mistake and hardly a come back drive. The car was clearly capable of dominating the race, yet he was on route to finish behind Hamilton, who came to back from 19th some 55+ seconds behind in a slower car. Had Leclerc stayed in the race, Sainz would have been 40+ seconds behind? Maybe a minute? Ferrari now has to be concerned with Mercedes as a very real threat in the WCC. Also Ferrari finally brought some updates. The buzz suggested it was going to be a huge update, and I think many were disappointed not to see more. But the floor upgrades have certainly helped.

Alfa Romeo had a very strong performance with Bottas. Sure the 2 stop strategy was not the best. Had they been on a 3 stop strategy, I think Bottas is in the same battle of 4th to 6th. The team, and Bottas can still be proud of their performance today. Unfortunate that Zhou suffered what appears to be a PU failure, though I think points would have been difficult for him, but who knows.

Alpine must have really focused their setup for the race. In qualifying they were very slow, yet it was a different car in the race. Ocon wasn't stunning, but 6th or 7th was surely the best the car was capable of. Alonso had a marvelous drive in front of his home crowd. After having such a great race car, will the team be able to turn it into a good qualifying car required for Monaco?

McLaren brought a pretty significant update that was not talked about all that much. Didn't seem to show much on the stop watch though. Lando Norris had a gutsy drive while being supposedly quite sick. 8th place is a decent result all things considering. Ricciardo again will walk out of the track with his tail between his legs... getting beat by his teammate who is far from 100%. Will 2022 be his last season in Formula 1?

AlphaTauri haven't appeared to develop their car much at all this season. The car is much slower than expected, and it isn't improving. Tsunoda had another good drive, points and flat out beat his teammate. That's a huge result for him. Gasly's miserable season continues and he simply needs to adapt to the car. A bad car is a bad car, but getting beat by the teammate that you destroyed just a year before, that's on Gasly and up to him to do better. Honestly it gives light to why he was booted out of Red Bull's big boy team. He is great in a car that suits him, but struggles to adapt to cars not to his liking.

Aston Martin were the talk of the weekend, bringing a huge update, effectively a B spec car, which we all known by know looks remarkably close to the Red Bull. It is fair for Red Bull to be suspicious as the car looks nearly identical to their own "B spec" aero update that was shown on the last test before the season opener. This suggests it is unlikely that Aston Martin can claim copying from pictures, as they claimed with the 2019 Mercedes. Supposedly AM is saying this car was in the wind tunnel in November, which raises the question how did they come up with a nearly identical design as Red Bull before seeing the Red Bull's design? Of course the stinky fish in the room is that several Red Bull employees moved over to Aston Martin during the off season. How can you not laugh if Lawrence Stroll once again tried to buy someone else's design and once again failed to make it work. He has turned that team into a joke. Unfortunately for Vettel and Stroll, the updates didn't give them a car capable of even battling for points.

Haas. After a double Q3 qualifying effort, they had to come into the race with some high hopes, but their performance has to rank second to last. It would seem their focused their setup heavily on qualifying, as they did not have any race pace at all. If that is true, that's a ridiculous decision as Barcelona is always a heavy tire wear circuit. Mick proved he didn't have the pace for points, and I think even if Magnussen didn't collide with Hamilton, he wouldn't have had the pace either.

Williams again was worse than everyone. It would appear they abandoned the hole in the sidepod idea they had in pre season completely. Their most effective update might have been scraping the paint off the car. I haven't heard anything from the team on why Albon was so slow, but maybe we need to give some credit to Latifi who had one of his better drives. Sadly for him, the car was painfully slow.

Driver of the Race: Lewis Hamilton. Despite his "let's quit" attitude early in the race, he came back and flew through the field. Easily one of the fastest cars, and managed his tires wonderfully given he drove back from 19th place.

Very well stated you have summed it up perfectly the key word is gutted, how a fantastic start to this season has unravelled so quickly, its the nature of the beast.Red bull got lucky they know that with the D N F not occurring they would have been handed a crushing defeat ferrari has them now on full notice and max knows this.My first concern is sainz I question weather he can really handle being in a top tier car soon becoming known as the full of excuses kid from Spain whatever his problems they must be removed or remove him.Secondly we now have a fast emerging mercedes in play which will certainly spice things up Russell is more than acomplished he is proving this week in week out and I suspect that lewis is grumbling louder each week being out performed week in week out hats of to him and mercedes for the job they have done to date with a car that was dead in the water.Dr Death Marko picked it he did say pre quali that it would be redbull mercedes then ferrari what a jinx, but remember Dr Death what goes around comes around.I have no doubt that in monoco ferrari will be mighty this race went to the racing gods and an unforeseen failure took it away again baring any issue ferrari for the victory moving foward.

Merc was .7 a lap slower on a short track what race did you watch?

Leclerc was 2-3 tenths a lap faster and we closed the top speed deficit.

You have to go back to Italy 2020 for a mechanical dnf, and i believe Russia 2020 for a PU related failure. Correct me if i am wrong.

We will be just as if not more competitive in Monaco. We'll see how well we cured the top speed issue with a tracks like Azerbaijan and Canada, we need to be competitive there. Long season.

We need to NOT DNF at Monaco (Charles ?). If so, we have a much faster car than before, I am really not concerned re: engine stability (I am pretty sure it was an aggressive setting that combined with the heat just ... yea). But let's wait for Maranello to confirm this.
    Other than that, of course there is disappointment, because we were much faster than the rest so the upgrade worked.
    Merc? Sure they were better but a threat? No. To Sainz, sure, but Carlos needs to get his ***** together.

Sorry but it is what it is.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

We need to NOT DNF at Monaco (Charles ?). If so, we have a much faster car than before, I am really not concerned re: engine stability (I am pretty sure it was an aggressive setting that combined with the heat just ... yea). But let's wait for Maranello to confirm this.
    Other than that, of course there is disappointment, because we were much faster than the rest so the upgrade worked.
    Merc? Sure they were better but a threat? No. To Sainz, sure, but Carlos needs to get his act together.

Driving for the Scuderia with a championship winning car, is much different than trying to get P3 in the championship.
    He needs to stop trying to overdrive the car in order to prove that he's faster than Charles. The team needs EVERY point we can get.
    Last edited by aroutis; 23rd May 2022 at 13:42.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Over driving his Ferrari back when Charles got Seb to be #2 worked out for him big time! Carlos has Charles as a model as far as pushing to be the #1 driver.Treat Carlos like Charles car wise and let them WCC points roll on in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Over driving his Ferrari back when Charles got Seb to be #2 worked out for him big time! Carlos has Charles as a model as far as pushing to be the #1 driver.Treat Carlos like Charles car wise and let them WCC points roll on in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    I'm glad you agree!

I'm glad you agree!
    Not really in fact, but I believe to guess that in reality you are Helmut Marko

Not really in fact, but I believe to guess that in reality you are Helmut Marko
    That's an insult, even for Brembo!!

Carlos 2nd on the podium!!!! Charles 4th.

Message to ferrari stop gifting redbull race wins with your school yard mistakes, because they are loving it and rubbing it right in your faces led by Dr Death marko.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    That's an insult, even for Brembo!!
    Carlos 2nd on the podium!!!! Charles 4th.
    No, he knows what he's doing, and if Marko uses his viper tongue to advance his interests, Brembo must be a benevolent
    But we like him anyway

No, he knows what he's doing, and if Marko uses his viper tongue to advance his interests, Brembo must be a benevolent
    But we like him anyway
    Your sense of humour is slightly off the wall! I'll make allowances for Brembo up to a point, but for Marko, never!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Your sense of humour is slightly off the wall! I'll make allowances for Brembo up to a point, but for Marko, never!
    Laugh all you want! I don't even know who Marko is! Wisepie; you know I just eat drink my vino and watch the races. I'm lucky I know 1/2 the drivers on the track. I count team and driver's points after each race and hope for the best for Ferrari! And!!!!! I hate team orders! Rubenization !!

Laugh all you want! I don't even know who Marko is! Wisepie; you know I just eat drink my vino and watch the races. I'm lucky I know 1/2 the drivers on the track. I count team and driver's points after each race and hope for the best for Ferrari! And!!!!! I hate team orders! Rubenization !!
    Come on Brembo, sometimes team orders are required from a common sense point of view, no-one wants to see team orders unless it is in the team's interest. I supported Rubens too, and Felipe, so just keep drinking your vino and eating your linguine, sometimes you may over-indulge but we can all do that! Drowning our sorrows shouldn't be necessary, sadly it has been these last two GPs.

In the teams interest without a doubt O K! My wanting both drivers treated equally is now trolling on my part! ! Binotto i believe has no idea how to handle the fact that Ferrari is blessed with two top drivers. At least he can stop worrying about getting Mick a seat .

In the teams interest without a doubt O K! My wanting both drivers treated equally is now trolling on my part! ! Binotto i believe has no idea how to handle the fact that Ferrari is blessed with two top drivers. At least he can stop worrying about getting Mick a seat .
    Actually Ferrari is blessed with a phenomenal one (Charles) and Carlos who should play the Reubens part.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    Actually Ferrari is blessed with a phenomenal one (Charles) and Carlos who should play the Reubens part.
    Thank Carlos last race @ Monaco; we need the points! Who knows? Maybe next race Charles will have to move over for Carlos. Just imagine last race @ Monaco;
    Carlos pulling over waiting for Charles to pass! You need to drop the e in Rubens. The next race can't come soon enough!!!

Thank Carlos last race @ Monaco; we need the points! Who knows? Maybe next race Charles will have to move over for Carlos. Just imagine last race @ Monaco;
    Carlos pulling over waiting for Charles to pass! You need to drop the e in Rubens. The next race can't come soon enough!!!
    Without incident, in your dreams only!

Without incident, in your dreams only!
    Thinking any of any F-1 race without happening incident is for sure "In your dreams only!" The races can't come soon enough!

Thinking any of any F-1 race without happening incident is for sure "In your dreams only!" The races can't come soon enough!
    In the meantime, check out the GP runs this year, you never know, maybe you will realize the absurdity of your posts

Carlos is playing the part of the truly phenomenal Charles and driving to win! Seb got knocked out by Charles not moving over. And..... Carlos is lucky enough not to have Ross and the midget Todt forcing him to let Charles pass. The 1,2 finish with Ferrari drivers either way is what fans want and need.

Carlos is playing the part of the truly phenomenal Charles and driving to win! Seb got knocked out by Charles not moving over. And..... Carlos is lucky enough not to have Ross and the midget Todt forcing him to let Charles pass. The 1,2 finish with Ferrari drivers either way is what fans want and need.
    To have to let Charles pass, he would first have to be in front of him, and his win at the Monaco lottery was the only opportunity this year. So, there is no reason to saying that each day

To have to let Charles pass, he would first have to be in front of him, and his win at the Monaco lottery was the only opportunity this year. So, there is no reason to saying that each day
    You forget, Brembo has a condition, untreated too.
    Poor soul.

I'm thinking about the future races this season. Ferrari still has a chance at WCC WDC .

You forget, Brembo has a condition, untreated too.
    Poor soul.
    Forget Monaco there's still more races this season! My problem is I'm thinking of the next race not the last one. Whats done is done.