Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Monaco Grand Prix: Post Race Analysis

2022 Monaco Grand Prix: Post Race Analysis

Certainly a dynamic race due to the rain, but Monaco still fails to be spectacular. A day we perhaps could have used Michael Masi as race director. The race likely could have started some 20 minutes earlier, and a standing start would have been very exciting. It was shocking they didn't even have the safety car burning laps to test the track surface. Then when Schumacher split his car in half and drug the barrier half way down the track, the director throws a VSC... seriously? With the rain and drying track, the strategy portion of the race was an easy 8 out of 10, but the racing was just a 2 out of 10 at best.

Red Bull proved that you win as a team. Their strategy calls were aggressive, the pitstops were fantastic, and the drivers executed on track. Perez was spectacular. Prior to pitting he was 8 seconds behind Leclerc, pitted and fell to 25 seconds behind, and then once Leclerc pitted just a couple laps later, Perez was almost 5 seconds ahead. That's so unbelievable the math doesn't even make sense. Verstappen who really never found his groove all weekend was probably headed for 4th without some sort of team orders if the race went as normal, so a podium ahead of his championship rival has to be a victory. Of course we can't ignore the fact that supposedly both Red Bulls should have been penalized. I only saw the replay of Max touching or crossing the pit exit line, and that is a penalty. The FIA once again shows their favoritism as in Austria 2021, Tsunoda got 2 penalties for just touching the pit entry line, while Lando completely slid through the pit entry in Sochi 2021 and got no penalty, and then of course today.

Ferrari like to live by tradition, and since 2008 they have had a tradition of poor strategy decisions. Ferrari should have dominated this race. Easily the best car, both drivers looked good in the wet, especially Leclerc who built up a good lead. Somehow both cars losing out to the Red Bulls. It wasn't clearly seen by me, but supposedly both drivers got caught in traffic on their outlaps, but that shouldn't be an excuse. Carlos made 1 less stop than the other leaders, and still came out behind Perez. Leclerc was dialed in with his driving, in qualifying his 2nd Q3 lap was going to be one of the best laps of the decade, and was the class of the field before Red Bull got the jump on them. He finished 4th. W T F!

Mercedes easily the 3rd best team, but a long way off Ferrari and Red Bull. George Russell is the only driver in 2022 to maximize each race with another top 5 finish. Hamilton's race suffered because he didn't do a better job in qualifying. His race hard to the point of contact with Ocon but could never make a pass. Ted Kravitz was his biggest cheerleader and must be writing a book of excuses in why the supposed rain master looked pretty ordinary today.

Mclaren had a very strong result with Lando Norris. Still recovering from being ill, he did a fabulous job and was right on Russell's rear wing at the end. He could be right that with a more aggressive strategy that 5th place may have been possible. Had to look to see if Ricciardo even finished since he was non existent during the race. Another terrible result. This time at one of the crown jewels of the season, and with McLaren publicly stating they expect more from Daniel. His F1 career could be coming to an end sooner than later.

Alpine had a result that appeared to be above what the car was capable of. I am not certain what Alonso's motives were in the race, in fact I am not convinced he didn't crash the car on purpose in quali to protect his starting position. The car didn't ever to appear to fast, but it wasn't 3 seconds off the pace slow that Alonso was doing ahead of Hamilton. Was he just playing mind games? Ocon got into the points but was a victim of a 5 second penalty. A bit strange that a penalty was given so long after the contact, and after Hamilton spent several laps complaining about it. It appeared to be a racing incident to me.

Alfa Romeo have to be somewhat satisfied with some points. The car was likely much better and probably had the speed to finish ahead of the Alpine's, but track position is everything at Monaco and Bottas just never was in a position to get the most out of his car. Zhou is starting to look like he really doesn't deserve to be in F1 being so far behind his teammate. But that safe under braking was jaw dropping!

Aston Martin gets the last point with Vettel. Monaco isn't a track to see if the team can to grips with their new Red Bull body work. But a good drive from Vettel for sure. Stroll compromised his own race by hitting the wall and picking up a puncture before the race started. The team still missed the change to get him on the right tires while he was in the back of the pack.

AlphaTauri had a just miss weekend with Gasly. Just missing the lights in quali to get one last lap in, which terribly hurt his starting position. The team decided to be aggressive by going to inters early, and that strategy was working for him, but the car is just too slow to make it count for points. Yuki gets credit for out qualifying Gasly, but managed to find more run off at Monaco than race track. Horrible performance by Tsunoda.

Williams really looked to struggle in the wet conditions, and the dry conditions, and while being parked after the race. Albon who has carried that team all season couldn't even drive that car and ultimately DNF'd. Latifi as usual can barely get out of his own way and managed to crash behind the safety car, hold up the leaders while being passed, and was still the slowest driver on track.

Haas. An expensive weekend for them. Some PU issues during the weekend. Magnussen DNF's for an unknown reason since the TV coverage didn't even mention it. Schumacher did have a very strange snap oversteer that threw him into the barriers and completely destroyed their car. It was expected their development was going to suffer over the season compared to other teams, so one must feel that their opportunities for good results are going to get less and less. A costly crash like that one will not make things easier to say the least.

Driver of the Day: Sergio Perez. His in lap and out lap were so fantastic it's really what won him the race. Then to have tires grain up badly and a very fast Ferrari right down his tail pipe and not make any mistakes. Plus it's possible that Red Bull pitted Perez early as a pawn to disrupt Ferrari and benefit Max. Perez gave a big middle finger to anyone that doubted him today.

Appreciate the effort for such long text, but all in all IT WAS ONE BIG FUDGE UP from Ferrari!
    Last edited by stefa; 30th May 2022 at 04:29.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    Ferrari like to live by tradition, and since 2008 they have had a tradition of poor strategy decisions. Ferrari should have dominated this race. Easily the best car, both drivers looked good in the wet, especially Leclerc who built up a good lead. Somehow both cars losing out to the Red Bulls. It wasn't clearly seen by me, but supposedly both drivers got caught in traffic on their outlaps, but that shouldn't be an excuse. Carlos made 1 less stop than the other leaders, and still came out behind Perez. Leclerc was dialed in with his driving, in qualifying his 2nd Q3 lap was going to be one of the best laps of the decade, and was the class of the field before Red Bull got the jump on them. He finished 4th. W T F!
    I just don't understand how Ferrari gifted this race to RBR.
    I was absolutely shocked like the rest of us.

If Ferrari really wants to beat RBR they need to move forward, otherwise, we'd not only lose the championship but also Charles.
    After the red flag, the body language of Charles was the same as Alonso's in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Appreciate the effort for such long text, but all in all IT WAS ONE BIG FUDGE UP from Ferrari!
    Yup.

The analysis is simple.

They built a great car. They have a fantastic driver. They are still utter imbeciles.

Someone needs to be made an example of. Someone needs to lose their job immediately.

This is a hot head reaction.
    No one needs to get fired. They do have to analyse and discuss internally how on earth they manage to loose the race.
    Firing people, means you already have a replacement for them, you already have identified what went wrong and you already know that it was a decision that the rest of the strategists disagreed upon but somehow they where ignored.

Otherwise, you will end up with a bunch of scared people that will sit k to what their boss is telling them.

Like I mentioned in the race thread, I can't understand why Ferrari perform so poorly on this track.
    Since the turn of the century, we've only won twice, 2001 and 2017 I believe.
    And we've had the best drivers in Michael and Fernando.
    I'm not gonna use the word 'curse', but it's a head scratcher to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Yup.

The analysis is simple.

They built a great car. They have a fantastic driver. They are still utter imbeciles.

Someone needs to be made an example of. Someone needs to lose their job immediately.

We seem to have improved in most areas but strategy calls aren't one of those. We had the best car and drivers this weekend. Max was also off colour and we managed to mess it up so badly for Charles. These are things that will haunt us at the end if the championship. Grateful that at least Carlos was 2nd. FIA seem to be partial on this occasion too. Previously these have been penalties, now they have to re-adjust the rules to fit the scenario and let RB keep the win. Poor poor race director, and stewards. However blame for the race is with strategy today. Embarrassing really, we are just gifting them with points.

All in all 18 +12 points =30! Ferrari has 2 great drivers. Rain! The track itself! It could have been much worse. I feel sorry for Mick.

I just listened to a post-race itw of Charles for a French TV. Here is a modest translation:

"I'm gutted, gutted... I did everything right from the start of the race. They asked me four laps earlier and I said we could go directly to slicks, and that maybe it wasn't the right time and that we could wait a bit more. Sigh... Well, what's done is done, but it cannot happen too many times during the season, because today we had the win in our hands, and we threw it in the trash. So it's painful, and again it happens at home. The season is long, we have enough performance to recover, but we can't race like this. I got angry because first I was told to pit, then once in the stands I was told to stay out. Everything was a mess today. We need to be as good here as elsewhere, and today it wasn't the case, obviously. So, it's not acceptable.

Here is the link for those of you who speak French:

https://fb.watch/dkhdoKLBJj/

Sounds pretty ****** to me.

We were slow in taking actions; then there was this idiotic chat between the pit wall and Carlos re: what tyres; then, they brought Carlos in at the wrong time and Charles was crucified.
    And then they changed strategy and everything was f*cked up.

As everyone, I am gutted and quite honestly I put the blame at Binotto and the strategy team or whoever is in charge.
    Binotto cause at one point he needs to set the priorities to the drivers (yes. I am talking bout Carlos here).
    If we want the WDC , we need to be realistic and we're lucky for the P3 of Verstappen.
    If we want the WCC we need to maximize every single race, win or lose.

Selfishness serves RBR.

Simple as that.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Leclerc should have priority in terms of strategy.

He is the most likely to win the WDC for Ferrari.

And should at least have priority and this should be made clear to the drivers.

It's way to early to do a 1, 2 priority with our Ferrari drivers. Let them race to win is what needs to be made clear. Starting the race knowing you have to let him pass is not correct incentive wise.

It's way to early to do a 1, 2 priority
    No it's not.

Leclerc should have priority in terms of strategy.

He is the most likely to win the WDC for Ferrari.
    ]
    And that's the reason why.

Let them race to win is what needs to be made clear.
    Sure, they can race at the simulator. But F1 is costly as a hobby.

Starting the race knowing you have to let him pass is not correct incentive wise.
    Driving is a profession, he drives for Ferrari, he knows that if he cannot be faster than Charles, he's doomed to be #2.
    Guess what, so far he's not faster than Charles, he's binned the car without excuses and Charles is at a better position for the WDC.

It's time for..
    Carlos, Charles is faster than you.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

A driver being relegated as the #2 is one thing, but when a driver is told he has to always sacrifice for their teammate is detrimental to the team. No longer will be motivated or have the drive to improve. To never allow Sainz the chance to win would be horrible team orders that could only hurt the team.

Charles, Max is faster than you; let Carlos pass . Monaco !

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Charles, Max is faster than you; let Carlos pass . Monaco !
    In your dreams only

Arrow

So far Carlos never had to sacrifice his race as he was always behind Charles and never able to match the pace.
    Until now, Carlos has always been free to run as he wants and it's better that way
    None of us are in a hurry to see the instructions already used at RB arrive.
    But if the performance ratio between our two drivers is confirmed (and we know it will be), Carlos will have to help not to compromise our chances, that's also how a team works (not necessarily to let Charles pass, but at least to defend him, which he has also shown himself incapable of so far)

A driver being relegated as the #2 is one thing, but when a driver is told he has to always sacrifice for their teammate is detrimental to the team. No longer will be motivated or have the drive to improve. To never allow Sainz the chance to win would be horrible team orders that could only hurt the team.
    I couldn't agree more!

Conditions are needed for this to happen (not the case in RB):
    - That the chances of the drivers are the same at each season's start
    - That one driver is much more likely to win the title than the other
    - That the champioship is tight
    I remember Shumi racing for Irvine (I think, if not Massa) after breaking his leg

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Conditions are needed for this to happen (not the case in RB):
    - That the chances of the drivers are the same at each season's start
    - That one driver is much more likely to win the title than the other
    - That the champioship is tight
    I remember Shumi racing for Irvine (I think, if not Massa) after breaking his leg
    There are times for team orders, but we have only completed 7 races. No way would I tell Carlos to pull over for Leclerc if he's winning the race at this point in the season. We need Carlos to have more confidence to get better results for the team. Besides, I am quite sure Leclerc can beat Carlos without team orders anyways.

There are times for team orders, but we have only completed 7 races. No way would I tell Carlos to pull over for Leclerc if he's winning the race at this point in the season. We need Carlos to have more confidence to get better results for the team. Besides, I am quite sure Leclerc can beat Carlos without team orders anyways.
    Agree

By looking at current absolutely agree with you.

Leclerc does have superior pace over Carlos.

can someone Italian tell me what binotto tells Charles please ? at around 25 seconds https://youtu.be/uSL6e2qGsNk

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    can someone Italian tell me what binotto tells Charles please ? at around 25 seconds https://youtu.be/uSL6e2qGsNk
    Leclerc: We cannot do like this, c'mon, c'mon.

Binotto: We know it, now let's focus that there are alot of races and you'll see we'll make. Come here, come back.

Leclerc: Yeah, I'm sure we'll make, but at home it hurts.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

Binotto: We know it, now let's focus that there are alot of races and you'll see we'll make. Come here, come back.

thanks mate.

I post it here.
    Great insight. At the same time, I like the transparency. They ****ed up and they know it.
    All in all, when is discussed here (pit Carlos, not Charles, wait for slicks, double stack etc) are correct and Ferrari is wrong.
    What surprised me is the revelation that you need 6 seconds for the double stack and they didn't have it!
    Seriously, how on earth are you going for a double pit stop when you are UNDER the limit?
    https://www.linkedin.com/posts/scude...um=android_app

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

Oh man
    That right there, you can feel the pain from both sides.
    More like, "I can't believe we screwed up this bad" or "Oh hell, how did this happen?"

Win and lose together.
    Hopefully they will learn from this but as it stands, all we can do is move forward and pick the victory in the next races.

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    I post it here.
    Great insight. At the same time, I like the transparency. They ****ed up and they know it.
    All in all, when is discussed here (pit Carlos, not Charles, wait for slicks, double stack etc) are correct and Ferrari is wrong.
    What surprised me is the revelation that you need 6 seconds for the double stack and they didn't have it!
    Seriously, how on earth are you going for a double pit stop when you are UNDER the limit?
    https://www.linkedin.com/posts/scude...um=android_app
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothlessrage* View Post
    Oh man
    That right there, you can feel the pain from both sides.
    More like, "I can't believe we screwed up this bad" or "Oh hell, how did this happen?"
    Ferrari explain two timing errors which cost Leclerc Monaco win

In the round-up: Ferrari’s head of race strategy, Inaki Rueda, says the team misjudged Charles Leclerc’s gap to his rivals twice during the Monaco Grand Prix.

In brief

Ferrari made two timing errors which cost Leclerc Monaco win

Ferrari’s sporting director and head of race strategy, Inaki Rueda, explained on a video released by the team they had made “two mistakes” with Leclerc’s strategy in the race, which saw him fall from first to fourth.

To begin with they attempted to cover Sergio Perez’s switch to intermediate tyres. At the point Leclerc came into the pits, Ferrari’s strategy software showed his likely advantage over Perez had diminished to just one second. Rueda said they hadn’t expected Perez to gain nine seconds on their driver in a single lap.

The team’s second mistake “was a gap mistake again” Rueda continued. “We wanted to pit both cars onto dry tyres. On lap 21, we thought the track was good for dry tyres. At the same time we were bringing Carlos in to try and keep the lead of the race, we thought, ‘let’s bring Charles to try and undercut Perez so we can finish P1 and P2’.

“As we were coming in, we were looking at our tools and our gaps. The gap in between our cars was five seconds. It was tight for a stop here. A comfortable stop here is done with six seconds in between the cars, but we thought five-and-a-half seconds might be enough.

“As the cars got closer and closer to pit entry, the gap was narrowed and at pit entry, the gap was only three-and-a-half seconds. We made a last second attempt to try and tell Charles to stay out, but it was too late – he had already veered into the pit lane and in this stop, Charles lost two seconds. This was crucial. This is what allowed Verstappen to come out ahead of Charles a lap later.”

https://www.racefans.net/2022/06/04/...nd-up-04-06-5/
    It's not how start but how you finish.