Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid-season rule change

Mid-season rule change

So guys, what do you think about new flexi floor TD, who will be affected the most?

this thread would be helpful with links to explain what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    this thread would be helpful with links to explain what you are talking about.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...edes/10332153/

Thanks

I felt that Red Bull have had a clever flexy floor since the start of the season. I think this also stalls out their diffuser which reduces drag and would explain why their speed keeps climbing above 300 kph, and other teams seem to plateau.

Thanks

I felt that Red Bull have had a clever flexy floor since the start of the season. I think this also stalls out their diffuser which reduces drag and would explain why their speed keeps climbing above 300 kph, and other teams seem to plateau.
    the thing i would like to know is when will we have the new suspension that will solve our porpoising.

I truly believe we will be the fastest car once we solve it

Thanks

The floors are very complex and the downforce is generated by more than just a little cheap trick. This reminds me of Mercedes thinking Red Bull's pace over them was down to the slight flex in their wing, and then after the TD was enforced, Red Bull won 3 races in a row.

Ferrari weren't concerned about the TD focus on floors, but on the the governing of how far a car can or can't oscillate, before the FIA judging it to be "dangerous".

We just don't know how or if this even gives much of a performance advantage. We also don't know what teams were actually found to be doing this, as the FIA didn't reveal them for some odd reason. For all we know Alpine/Renault are doing it. You also can't put it past Toto and Mercedes to have not being this themselves, and are trying to cover by being first to comment.

Usually, small things like this don't give a huge performance advantage to one car that can't be accounted for with a setup to keep them competitive.

That being said, I'd expect Red Bull to be the most affected IF this accurate. I've always wondered where Red Bull get their straight line speed from, and why they don't porpoise on the straight. If we either see Red Bull magically begin to porpoise for the first time since testing, or they suddenly lack straight line speed, that will be a "guilty as charged" performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RossTheBoss View Post
    We just don't know how or if this even gives much of a performance advantage. We also don't know what teams were actually found to be doing this, as the FIA didn't reveal them for some odd reason. For all we know Alpine/Renault are doing it. You also can't put it past Toto and Mercedes to have not being this themselves, and are trying to cover by being first to comment.

Usually, small things like this don't give a huge performance advantage to one car that can't be accounted for with a setup to keep them competitive.

That being said, I'd expect Red Bull to be the most affected IF this accurate. I've always wondered where Red Bull get their straight line speed from, and why they don't porpoise on the straight. If we either see Red Bull magically begin to porpoise for the first time since testing, or they suddenly lack straight line speed, that will be a "guilty as charged" performance.
    Red Bull to be the most affected would be most welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    Red Bull to be the most affected would be most welcomed
    Your attitude will definitely change once both Red Bull and Mercedes are beating us. These mid-season rule changes always benefit Mercedes and Hamilton. Toto is a scumbag, as crooked as they come. It makes me sick to my stomach the control he has on the FIA. The amount of pace Mercedes suddenly found after being 1.5 seconds adrift all season is astonishing. The fact that other teams aren't questioning them is even more concerning. It will be a slap in the face to the entire F1 community if Hamilton and Russell start winning races.

Before all the closet Hamilton lovers go off on me, just think about the outrage and "cheat" cries from all the other teams if Ferrari suddenly found 1.5 seconds of pace and miraculously stopped bouncing.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    Your attitude will definitely change once both Red Bull and Mercedes are beating us. These mid-season rule changes always benefit Mercedes and Hamilton. Toto is a scumbag, as crooked as they come. It makes me sick to my stomach the control he has on the FIA. The amount of pace Mercedes suddenly found after being 1.5 seconds adrift all season is astonishing. The fact that other teams aren't questioning them is even more concerning. It will be a slap in the face to the entire F1 community if Hamilton and Russell start winning races.

Before all the closet Hamilton lovers go off on me, just think about the outrage and "cheat" cries from all the other teams if Ferrari suddenly found 1.5 seconds of pace and miraculously stopped bouncing.

THERE IS NO MID SEASON RULE CHANGE
    the rule exists already but some teams are bypassing the test.

Nothing to do with Merc if teams are cheating.
    So it is Tota crooked, not the actual teams that ar ebreaking the rules, seriously, how old are you.

What would be a slap in the face if Merc start winning is that illegal cars have being winning GPs by cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by evo_spook View Post
    THERE IS NO MID SEASON RULE CHANGE
    the rule exists already but some teams are bypassing the test.

Nothing to do with Merc if teams are cheating.
    So it is Tota crooked, not the actual teams that ar ebreaking the rules, seriously, how old are you.

What would be a slap in the face if Merc start winning is that illegal cars have being winning GPs by cheating.
    So Merc/Toto didn’t lobby the fia for a ride height change? They didn’t have a repair for the TD made even before the TD was announced? They went from writing off the season to contending for wins. Crooked cheats.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

I've just read that Ferrari and Red Bull are the two teams most likely to suffer with this new directive, having more than the permitted 2mm floor deflection under the drivers. Wolff finds it 'shocking', wonder how this directive came about......

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    I've just read that Ferrari and Red Bull are the two teams most likely to suffer with this new directive, having more than the permitted 2mm floor deflection under the drivers. Wolff finds it 'shocking', wonder how this directive came about......
    we shall see, but my money is on RB, they will suffer the most

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    we shall see, but my money is on RB, they will suffer the most
    I too think that REd fools will be affected the most, as they are doing something sneaky there with the floor, probably stalling the diffuser so they get higher top end speed...

Probably Ferrari will also be affected but not to the extent red fools will be....just my opinion

I’m sure Toto and Co. had some say in this as they couldn’t reproduce what RB and Ferrari were doing....bunch of hypocrites they are

Wolf runs the show and pulls the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by 458 Italia View Post
    Wolf runs the show and pulls the strings.
    He and Merc have for the last 8 years and looks like there is no stopping him.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

He and Merc have for the last 8 years and looks like there is no stopping him.
    It's because Mercedes supply engines for 4 teams, pour tons of money into F1, and have it's most popular celebrity in Hamilton. FIA doesn't want that apple cart disrupted.

Ferrari don't throw their weight around enough. You can bet Di Montezemolo and Todt would've thrown down, and told the FIA that if they went through with trying to cripple their car midseason, they'd consider withdrawing from F1. Ask the FIA if they're ready to try and promote races without Ferrari, and to explain to the fans and networks where the red cars are.

It's because Mercedes supply engines for 4 teams, pour tons of money into F1, and have it's most popular celebrity in Hamilton. FIA doesn't want that apple cart disrupted.

Ferrari don't throw their weight around enough. You can bet Di Montezemolo and Todt would've thrown down, and told the FIA that if they went through with trying to cripple their car midseason, they'd consider withdrawing from F1. Ask the FIA if they're ready to try and promote races without Ferrari, and to explain to the fans and networks where the red cars are.
    I would say current Ferrari management isn’t that strong to have their say as similar to Mercs & RB.

Remember RB pushed this rule change partially & engine freeze for which Ferrari agreed & merc was surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I would say current Ferrari management isn’t that strong to have their say as similar to Mercs & RB.

Remember RB pushed this rule change partially & engine freeze for which Ferrari agreed & merc was surprised.
    Ferrari always put the good of F1 above themselves. There's tons they've agreed to that they never should've.

One of the secrets to Ferrari's success was in season testing for their developmental work at their private tracks. The FIA banned it and Ferrari didn't rise up and say "NO! Not our problem if other teams don't have these facilities". They also allowed Renault and the VW group bully the sport not just towards turbo engines, but banning naturally aspirated ones, the latter of which Ferrari have a far deeper track record of success with.

Give Red Bull credit. They wanted a rule change and they made clear that if they didn't get it, they'd be gone from F1. They also took Mercedes dirty politics public and made sure the world saw the bias of the FIA towards Mercedes during the season, which helped prevent Masi from simply handing the title to Princess.

Mercedes have outright trashed the FIA, despite the latter allowing illegal components on their cars, special treatment for their drivers, and the behind the scenes corruption where things like illegal in season testing have happened. And need I remind everyone of how Mercedes bullied the FIA into sacking Masi, or else Princess wouldn't participate?

The point being, Ferrari have no idea how to play politics and get their way at least 50% of the time.

is he a scumbag, or is he just a ruthless leader who will do everything and anything he can in order to ensure his team wins... unlike the leader of the team we follow, for instance?

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    is he a scumbag, or is he just a ruthless leader who will do everything and anything he can in order to ensure his team wins... unlike the leader of the team we follow, for instance?
    I tend to agree. I don't think Binotto is bad, but I would take Toto or Horner over him any day.

I don't care about the performance gains from Merc, but how they found a solution.
    Under a cost cap.
    And under strict (lol) CFD and aero-testing rules...

But yeah, I would be surprised if FIA didn't create a TD that creates problems to their competitors.

I tend to agree. I don't think Binotto is bad, but I would take Toto or Horner over him any day.
    A good leader is ruthless lest they be taken advantage of. Yes the FIA helped Merc win but it was because Toto is a savage. Ferrari need a leader like him. What they have is clearly not working. Do Ferrari still have Veto powers? If so, when was the last time it was used?

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    I don't care about the performance gains from Merc, but how they found a solution.
    Under a cost cap.
    And under strict (lol) CFD and aero-testing rules...

But yeah, I would be surprised if FIA didn't create a TD that creates problems to their competitors.
    I’m willing to bet it’s incredibly easy to circumvent those two rules with subsidiaries and creative accounting. If you want to win, there is always a way.

A good leader is ruthless lest they be taken advantage of. Yes the FIA helped Merc win but it was because Toto is a savage. Ferrari need a leader like him. What they have is clearly not working. Do Ferrari still have Veto powers? If so, when was the last time it was used?

I’m willing to bet it’s incredibly easy to circumvent those two rules with subsidiaries and creative accounting. If you want to win, there is always a way.
    This I believe 100%! I think that Red Bull is being sneaky with the cost cap...they are likely using the RB17 Hypercar designed by Newey to develop the F1 car. No salary cap or cost cap issues working on a non-f1 car which just happens to have some of the same aero and ground effect properties as the current F1 regs. There is no other way they could keep developing at this rate under the current cap.

To bad Ferrari is still waiting for them to run out of money....
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

This I believe 100%! I think that Red Bull is being sneaky with the cost cap...they are likely using the RB17 Hypercar designed by Newey to develop the F1 car. No salary cap or cost cap issues working on a non-f1 car which just happens to have some of the same aero and ground effect properties as the current F1 regs. There is no other way they could keep developing at this rate under the current cap.

Honestly, it seems like Red Bull have finally the ceiling on development, and don't the money to do but a few more changes. Ferrari and Mercedes both brought far bigger upgrade packages then Red Bull, even though the latter was rumored to be bringing the final and biggest package.

Mercedes truly raise eyebrows with their "budget". B-car for testing and sidepod upgrades, 4 new rear wings, radiators, 3 new front wings, and 3 new floors to name just what we've seen. How in TF are they managing that kind of development? They should not be able to afford more upgrades, but you can be sure they'll keep bringing them.

That is exactly what I suggested Ferrari do a few months ago.

Create a team within the road car division for some new hypercar. The "Uber Enzo", whatever the hell you wanna call it. Run the wind tunnel 24/7. The new Merc AMG One is going to have an F1 engine in it, detuned for road use. Do the same thing. The new Uber Enzo is going to have the 066/7 engine and hybrid drive system in it and we need to make it reliable for the street. Run that puppy on the dyno stand 24/7 as well. Then, like magic, a guy in the F1 Aero department gets an idea and it just so happens to work first time out. Oh, look, the new power unit has been updated for reliability and may or may not also have 15hp more. It's so damn easy it's not even funny, and anyone not doing this is a fool of the highest order.

Create a team within the road car division for some new hypercar. The "Uber Enzo", whatever the hell you wanna call it. Run the wind tunnel 24/7. The new Merc AMG One is going to have an F1 engine in it, detuned for road use. Do the same thing. The new Uber Enzo is going to have the 066/7 engine and hybrid drive system in it and we need to make it reliable for the street. Run that puppy on the dyno stand 24/7 as well. Then, like magic, a guy in the F1 Aero department gets an idea and it just so happens to work first time out. Oh, look, the new power unit has been updated for reliability and may or may not also have 15hp more. It's so damn easy it's not even funny, and anyone not doing this is a fool of the highest order.

This very statement you're making was suggested by some of us ( including myself ) when they introduced the hybrid era. This to me made perfect sense. But then this never transpired. So it was left at that.

If what you're saying about RB & Mercs is true, then why not us too. We've developed this new beast of a Super car for Le mans, So why not ?

I do agree with you about what you said above
    Drive it like you stole it!

Quote Originally Posted by Super M View Post
    This very statement you're making was suggested by some of us ( including myself ) when they introduced the hybrid era. This to me made perfect sense. But then this never transpired. So it was left at that.

If what you're saying about RB & Mercs is true, then why not us too. We've developed this new beast of a Super car for Le mans, So why not ?

I do agree with you about what you said above
    If you want to win, you do what needs to be done. Ferrari's "leader" doesn't want to win, he just wants a participation trophy.

Mercedes have also clearly cheated the cost cap, and you can bet nothing is going to be done. There will be no audit of them.

Anyways, one of the things Ferrari were stupid to ever agree to was the ban on in season testing. Totally killed their ability to develop. Ferrari have been mediocre at best when it comes to development with simulations, when compared to the likes of Red Bull and Mercedes. It's taken them until recently to get the hang of it. Before, they'd run a set of updates at the track and day and night and refine them, until they knew they were ready.

Mercedes have also clearly cheated the cost cap, and you can bet nothing is going to be done. There will be no audit of them.

Anyways, one of the things Ferrari were stupid to ever agree to was the ban on in season testing. Totally killed their ability to develop. Ferrari have been mediocre at best when it comes to development with simulations, when compared to the likes of Red Bull and Mercedes. It's taken them until recently to get the hang of it. Before, they'd run a set of updates at the track and day and night and refine them, until they knew they were ready.
    I never understood the "for the good of the sport" excuse every time Ferrari bent over and took it. Ferrari IS the sport. They had power, they should have wielded it like a damn broadsword and cut down anyone in their way. Instead they became timid mice. If you don't use it, you lose it, and they sure as hell lost it.