Thread: Danny Ric

Danny Ric

Have McLaren already decided to replace him?

Will he get another drive? Remember when many wanted him in a Ferrari...
    Forza Ferrari

i actually like having more threads than just the two giant threads where we talk about all the current news.

Anyway, I see no way he's even on the grid next season.

I think the writing is on the wall. I never really rated him as highly as some. It took him a while to get to grips with things at Renault but you can't take years to adjust to racing cars like he has done.

He was constantly compared to Vettel and his performance relative to him but look at Vettel now, or even at Ferrari, I always felt Seb was just at the right place in the right time when he won those 4 WDC's. He's a very good driver but Leclerc was much better than Seb at Ferrari. It never felt like a good measuring stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

Yup....one of those MANY was me as well....but back then he used to have some amazing drives for red fizzy drinks.....
    don't kwno what happened to his speed.....maybe he's OVER the hill already

Quote Originally Posted by patrese86 View Post
    I think the writing is on the wall. I never really rated him as highly as some. It took him a while to get to grips with things at Renault but you can't take years to adjust to racing cars like he has done.

He was constantly compared to Vettel and his performance relative to him but look at Vettel now, or even at Ferrari, I always felt Seb was just at the right place in the right time when he won those 4 WDC's. He's a very good driver but Leclerc was much better than Seb at Ferrari. It never felt like a good measuring stick.
    YUP....exaclty like Hamilton.....6 fake WDC's....put someone like Grojean in taht Merc from 2014 to 2021 and he TOO would have won LOTS of wdc's

when you drive a rocket that's glued to the track, it's really hard to make mistakes.....same as Vettel was in red bull from 2010-2013....

but as soon as the car's are crap both Hamster adn Pettel are NO-where.....getting beaten by teammates.....like an average BUtton spanked Hamster on track in 2011.....WHY????? becase teh car was crap and BUtton showed him that he's a better driver and better at extracting more from a crap car....

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    YUP....exaclty like Hamilton.....6 fake WDC's....put someone like Grojean in taht Merc from 2014 to 2021 and he TOO would have won LOTS of wdc's

when you drive a rocket that's glued to the track, it's really hard to make mistakes.....same as Vettel was in red bull from 2010-2013....

but as soon as the car's are crap both Hamster adn Pettel are NO-where.....getting beaten by teammates.....like an average BUtton spanked Hamster on track in 2011.....WHY????? becase teh car was crap and BUtton showed him that he's a better driver and better at extracting more from a crap car....
    Shumy with Merc for 3 seasons, 1 podium!!!! It was the Ferrari car & throw in Rubens; Todt and Ross. No-where on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post

I don't think it's as simple as that. That would mean Kimi was an absolute garbage for example as Vettel destroyed him in the same car. yet he won us a title. I think there's so many variables that need to click together to create a winning combo, that 90% of drivers in F1 can win under the right circumstances and EVERY driver in F1 can absolutely suck when it all goes wrong.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Kimi was garbage
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Shumy with Merc for 3 seasons, 1 podium!!!! It was the Ferrari car & throw in Rubens; Todt and Ross. No-where on his own.
    Mercedes were total garbage in those times. Apples to oranges.

Schumacher won against the faster Williams in 94 and 95, took a Ferrari to the season finale in 97' against a much faster Williams, almost won the title in 98' against a faster McLaren, won a tight WDC in 03', and almost beat Alonso in his prime in 06'.

Every driver has their decline, but Schumacher took 20 years to get to his. He proved he could win in inferior cars. Hamilton and Vettel struggle greatly in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    I don't think it's as simple as that. That would mean Kimi was an absolute garbage for example as Vettel destroyed him in the same car. yet he won us a title. I think there's so many variables that need to click together to create a winning combo, that 90% of drivers in F1 can win under the right circumstances and EVERY driver in F1 can absolutely suck when it all goes wrong.
    Kimi had only two real serious F1 seasons and Ferrari were lucky enough to get one of them.

05, where he won 7 races, but the car wasn't reliable enough to beat Alonso, and 07', when he put together the perfect title comeback from the dead. Outside of them Kimi was very sloppy.

08', he was all over the road crashing and spinning, despite two early season wins. He didn't care after 07' and it showed.

Massa was actually a more balanced driver than him.

OK ! Like I said @ Merc his home team ,3 yrs. 1 podium. Lewis @ Merc !! It was the car for Schumy and the car for Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by RossTheBoss View Post
    Kimi had only two real serious F1 seasons and Ferrari were lucky enough to get one of them.

05, where he won 7 races, but the car wasn't reliable enough to beat Alonso, and 07', when he put together the perfect title comeback from the dead. Outside of them Kimi was very sloppy.

08', he was all over the road crashing and spinning, despite two early season wins. He didn't care after 07' and it showed.

Massa was actually a more balanced driver than him.
    IIRC Kimi was looking good for the title in 2008 until Spa then Ferrari backed Massa. Being taken out at Canada did not help either and a broken exhaust in France.

Not sure I like sticking up for Kimi though as after Spa 08 he was just happy to take his money.
    Forza Ferrari

You probably forgot that Räikkönen almost won the title in a year old car in '03? He was absolutely phenomenal that year. In '04 the Mercedes engine expired in almost every race until mid-season. Then he was going head to head with Michael in the F2004 and beat him fair and square at Spa in what probably was an inferior car on the day. He also took three poles in a completely failed '06 McLaren and was sensational for Lotus in '12 and '13 prompting him being re-signed by Ferrari again. In his McLaren and '07 Ferrari prime, Kimi was something else. Sure, my first choice in '05 was always Alonso (I was right) but it doesn't mean that Kimi wasn't exceptional prior to turning 30 because he was.

Over their full careers it's not even close, he was miles clear of Massa as a driver but he basically fell into autopilot mode during his title defence. Taking out Sutil in Monaco and the Spa crash were particular low points of a season where he should've been in contention all the way through in '08. Then his final five Ferrari seasons were quite embarrassing since he always fell asleep at the starts, couldn't warm tyres up et cetera and I'd been happy for him to get the boot for Bottas long before Leclerc came around. When the Bottas to Ferrari rumours were strong in '15 I felt that would've been an ideal number two for Vettel since he wouldn't just cruise around. Remarkably though, Kimi had this indian summer in '18 when he figured out that Leclerc was inbound and he needed to perform. Where was all that fire in the previous years?

Anyway, Ricciardo has had some really nice runs in his career but I suspect it's just the energy level he's lacking to really take Norris on. He always has required the needs of the team to be centered around him to perform optimally and this has led to a déja vu scenario for him that has sort of snowballed out of control. I think he deserves to see out his contract though, mainly because the touted replacements are Netflix meme level material. Colton Herta is infamous for being all talent and no work over in the IndyCars and he would get absolutely wrecked by Lando Norris. No question about that. Zak Brown really should be careful what he wishes for. Ricciardo can still bring home some solid points and won't cause internal friction since he knows his place now.
    Last edited by Tifoso Svedese; 9th July 2022 at 01:36.

Another driver who is mediocre away from RB car.

IIRC Kimi was looking good for the title in 2008 until Spa then Ferrari backed Massa. Being taken out at Canada did not help either and a broken exhaust in France.

Not sure I like sticking up for Kimi though as after Spa 08 he was just happy to take his money.
    Ferrari were playing easy 1-2 there when Kimi was around. I mean easy for them to choose who was no.2 driver.
    And yes Kimi was happy to take his money with that no.2 position. I saw him being fast again in 2018 only.

I always liked Danny. He seemed like a good guy and showed some genuine talent in the beginning.

His decline has been sad to see.

Ted's notebook from a couple of days ago......

Rumors around the paddock that Ricciardo will be replaced by Piastri at the end of 2022 going into 2023.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

I always liked him, seemed like he would be a good fit for Ferrari at the time; especially with the Italian heritage. However, it seems like we are lucky he never came here. He fell off pretty quickly and can’t seem to get it back together. I don’t know what’s going on…was he always mediocre and RedBull just hid his flaws? Or has he simply just lost it? He is a nice guy, and a good character to have around the paddock. Not sure where he’d find a seat if he looses his sr McLaren.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but he should have never ran from Verstappen. He might have had a WDC, or at least have been in contention for the last few years.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    I always liked him, seemed like he would be a good fit for Ferrari at the time; especially with the Italian heritage. However, it seems like we are lucky he never came here. He fell off pretty quickly and can’t seem to get it back together. I don’t know what’s going on…was he always mediocre and RedBull just hid his flaws? Or has he simply just lost it? He is a nice guy, and a good character to have around the paddock. Not sure where he’d find a seat if he looses his sr McLaren.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but he should have never ran from Verstappen. He might have had a WDC, or at least have been in contention for the last few years.
    Ricciardo was pretty good with RedBull....even when Max was there (I got this right!!!!!! )........he just didn't want to play second fiddle.

Once the move to Renault (I get it, $30 million annually), he went downhill from there (I got it right again!!!!).
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Danny Ric was ok at Reno. Somehow certain drivers do not get on well at Macca in spite of their previous reputation.
    I feel sorry for him

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by racingbradley View Post
    Danny Ric was ok at Reno. Somehow certain drivers do not get on well at Macca in spite of their previous reputation.
    I feel sorry for him
    I share your feelings for sure.

If he truly is on the way out of the drivers seat, I'd love to see him up in the booth, or doing some sort of paddock reporting. Way too good of a personality to not keep him around the tracks.

I think we dodged a bullet by getting Sainz rather than Ricciardo like so many wanted.
    Think he'll go to Indy and he might do pretty good there.

It would be interesting to see how he performs in the upcoming season for AlphaTauri. If he produces good results and Checo fails to produce good enough results with Red Bull, we may see him driving for Red Bull Racing in 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Ferrari were playing easy 1-2 there when Kimi was around. I mean easy for them to choose who was no.2 driver.
    And yes Kimi was happy to take his money with that no.2 position. I saw him being fast again in 2018 only.
    After 2007 I was never impressed by Raikkonen.

Suddenly in 2018 he had a few good races again, and that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schaun View Post
    It would be interesting to see how he performs in the upcoming season for AlphaTauri. If he produces good results and Checo fails to produce good enough results with Red Bull, we may see him driving for Red Bull Racing in 2025.
    If Checo doesnt perform in the 1st part of the season he will be gone way before that
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Keep in mind it's Max who Checo is up against partner wise, ad he managed 2 wins. He in fact performed. Besides Carlos all other drivers were lost in space!! I see Checo as a better choice over Dan.