Thread: Have Sprint Races been a success?

Question Have Sprint Races been a success?

Hello all!

Following on from the sprint race in Austria last weekend, I am currently conducting research into how the introduction of Sprint weekends into the F1 calendar has influenced fan enjoyment as part of my Masters thesis (a noble topic I hope you'll agree!?)! All groups of fans are welcome as long as you have a basic understanding of the Sprint format!

If this is a topic that interests you we would really appreciate 5 minutes of your time to fill out our survey: https://loughboroughssehs.eu.qualtri...n8RmEapHMSrhtk

Quote Originally Posted by zanderrrk View Post
    Hello all!

Following on from the sprint race in Austria last weekend, I am currently conducting research into how the introduction of Sprint weekends into the F1 calendar has influenced fan enjoyment as part of my Masters thesis (a noble topic I hope you'll agree!?)! All groups of fans are welcome as long as you have a basic understanding of the Sprint format!

If this is a topic that interests you we would really appreciate 5 minutes of your time to fill out our survey: https://loughboroughssehs.eu.qualtri...n8RmEapHMSrhtk
    Sprint races for 2023 look to be going up from 2022 and 2021.......from 3 per season to 6 per season for 2023.

I personally don't like them.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Sprint races for 2023 look to be going up from 2022 and 2021.......from 3 per season to 6 per season for 2023.

I personally don't like them.
    Yep the financial draw for F1 and circuits is high which is why there is a certain allure to the number of them going up. But very interesting to see from the perspective of fans the impact on enjoyment

Thank you for your input :)

Liberty Media likely see's more people tune into Friday coverage because of the Qualifying done on that day. So for them, it is a success.

Reality is, by far more people dislike the Sprint races than those that like them. They just don't care if it means more money for them.

Personally, I enjoy sprint weekends, there's real action on Fridays, Saturdays and of course Sundays

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Personally, I enjoy sprint weekends, there's real action on Fridays, Saturdays and of course Sundays
    I agree . I can't get enough F-1 racing!

I'm not a fan of the sprint weekends as I do believe it's too much risk and extra expense for the teams and qualifying for the actual F1 face grid should always be carried out on a Saturday. I wonder how many fans actually turn up or tune in for qualifying on a Friday and understand why Liberty Media are happy to get any extra income, but I find it all a bit too forced as entertainment.
    Last edited by wisepie; 21st July 2022 at 16:30.

I'm not a fan of sprint weekends at all. I like to watch as many sessions live as possible but work on fridays as I assume a lot of other people do. I am happy to have to watch the practice sessions from a recording but very annoying not to be able to watch Qualifying live as you always end up finding out the results before you get to watch it no matter how hard you try not too :(.

I don't like them.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

As we can see from here, there's a wide range of opinions regarding whether sprints are enjoyable or not. Some of this is likely based at least partially on demographics of how long people have followed F1 and other series they like and seeing if I can draw any trends from that :)

Still looking for more people to take part in the survey and will release anonymous results once the data has been analysed!

Link for the survey: https://loughboroughssehs.eu.qualtri...n8RmEapHMSrhtk

personal opinion, sprint races SUCK. no other comment, for me F1 has always been one race to rule them all, no other gimmick required.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
    personal opinion, sprint races SUCK. no other comment, for me F1 has always been one race to rule them all, no other gimmick required.
    I feel the same way. I took the survey, I do not like sprint races and think they offer nothing to F1. Qualifying isn't broken, stop trying to fix it. I think we all can remember the "knock-out" qualifying debacle back in 2016. The sprint qualifying is just as dumb and pointless. Instead of focusing on changing qualifying, focus on fixing the corruption that exists at the top.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

For me, I think keeping them to 3-4 races a year as a 'special event' is fine and entertaining, but would not like to see it as a regular feature.

the point scale should be changed.

its like

or something like