Thread: 2022 Brazilian GP: Post Race Analysis

2022 Brazilian GP: Post Race Analysis

Today was a good example of why Brazil should be the final race of the season. A roller coaster race, tons of overtakes, and thrilling to watch.

Mercedes grab their first win of the season, and a 1-2 finish at that. It is remarkable, almost unbelievable how they have came from a 1.5 second a lap deficit to being the clear fastest car in a budget cap era. However they did it, anyone would want a team management that does what it takes to get results. George Russell, first win in Formula 1. Pretty much everyone felt it was only a matter of time. Looking back through his career, there was a question if he would somehow throw it away with silly mistake, or the team hosing him again. But, he drove a fabulous race and got the W. Lewis Hamilton, another strong drive and still holds onto the golden egg that has the best luck ever. How his car wasn't seriously damaged is beyond me. As for the incident. Seemed pretty clear that Max got alongside Lewis and earned the right to space in the corner. But as it has been said before many times, Lewis doesn't give space and caused the collision. If anyone deserved a penalty, it was Hamilton. Racing incident at best. LH, Driver of the day? Please. That was a popularity vote.

Ferrari should be pretty damn happy to walk away with 3rd and 4th. Their laughable decision making in the Sprint Race which screwed Charles, and a late season engine change for Sainz put them on the back foot from the start. Sainz looked pretty good pace wise. Unfortunately had a tear off go into his brake duct, which is something we have seen a couple times this season. A deserving podium for sure. Leclerc getting punted by Lando killed his race. Though the team didn't do much to help. Forced to pit, they threw on fresh Medium tires, and rather than going long, they short stint (lap 8 to lap 22) and put him back on the Softs with nearly 50 laps remaining. As for Leclerc pleading for the team to swap positions with Sainz. No way. Alonso was too close, and Sainz deserved the podium.

Alpine had a marvelous day. They ate a self imploding grenade in the Sprint Race, but both drivers really came through on Sunday. Alonso is still a beast when he has a car he likes. Sure he got very fortunate with the Safety Car timing, but he wanted that final set of new soft tires no matter what. Ocon was 100% correct in wanting to battle Vettel before letting Alonso through. He did his job perfectly. Huge day considering McLaren double DNF'd.

Red Bull strangely did not have the pace this weekend. Is it Red Bull that missed the mark, or is Mercedes just that much better now? We get one last race to find out. Verstappen got the middle finger from the Stewards by getting a 5 second penalty, after already having race destroying damage that forced a pitstop. Seemed to stall out until the SC came out. Huge respect lost to Verstappen for not letting Perez back through. He may have legitimate reasons for doing what he did, but what does he gain? Nothing. Instead he disobeyed team orders, hurt his relationship with the team, his teammate, his fans, and anyone else that watches F1, just to prove a point. Perez shows that he is far from the level of the elite drivers. Despite RBR not being in top form, the car is still very competitive, but he got mopped and really didn't move forward at all.

Alfa Romeo was dreadful on Saturday, even in Friday qualifying, but the car came alive in the race. Both cars were fighting forwards, and Bottas eventually got a couple of points. Perhaps could have been more without the SC.

Aston Martin also looked quite competitive in Brazil, especially with Vettel. His race was going beautifully. The Safety Car killed his strategy and he got swallowed up on the restart. Shame as he deserved points for sure. Who beat him for the final point? Stroll. That's a tad bitter for the Vettel side, but the team deserved points.

Haas went from the ultra high to a big low. Magunesson taken out on lap one was a sad end to that feel good story. Schumacher was amazing in the Sprint race, and at times looked very strong today, but someone never seems to really get the results. There was a shot for points today, he just didn't deliver.

AlphaTauri have had a miserable season and they just didn't have a car to fight for points today. Gasly is probably all but checked out, but what on earth happened to Tsunoda? It looked like the FIA completely forget he was a lapped car. The message given was cars 23, and 6 could unlap themselves. If the FIA did miss this, it is hilarious that the people running F1 are dumber than the strategists at Ferrari. It's not like they didn't have time. That was the longest SC period ever for a car that just parked on the grass.

Williams. Well, they sucked. Albon finished ahead of Latifi, no surprise there.

McLaren had the worst day they could considering they are in a tight battle with Alpine. Lando made a mistake with no malicious intent. Looked like he touched the curb which sent him into Leclerc. Ricciardo was just a silly mistake, but a very costly one.

Driver of the Day: Fernando Alonso. Mid field car, started near the back, ends up fighting with Ferrari and Red Bull.

The only analysis I have after this race is that Mercedes will be strong next year since they have been steadily improving starting the 2nd half of the season. I'm not sure how they did it with a limited budget like you said, but they did and this shows tremendous patience and leadership on their part. Something that Ferrari lacks, to be honest.

While the Mercs are steadily chipping away at Ferrari's lead, Ferrari seems to be content making bad decisions after another and without any improvement in the cars' weaknesses, such as tire degradation to name a few. I am not technically adept, but it seems to me we were greatly affected by the TD even though Binotto refused to admit it. This, coupled with a few tweaks in the engine department to improve reliability, contributed to the Red Bull domination and the Mercedes come back. Now we are back hoping against hope that this team will fix all their weaknesses next season and make it a 3 way fight for the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post
    The only analysis I have after this race is that Mercedes will be strong next year since they have been steadily improving starting the 2nd half of the season. I'm not sure how they did it with a limited budget like you said, but they did and this shows tremendous patience and leadership on their part. Something that Ferrari lacks, to be honest.

While the Mercs are steadily chipping away at Ferrari's lead, Ferrari seems to be content making bad decisions after another and without any improvement in the cars' weaknesses, such as tire degradation to name a few. I am not technically adept, but it seems to me we were greatly affected by the TD even though Binotto refused to admit it. This, coupled with a few tweaks in the engine department to improve reliability, contributed to the Red Bull domination and the Mercedes come back. Now we are back hoping against hope that this team will fix all their weaknesses next season and make it a 3 way fight for the championship.
    X2

We can speculate or theorize how Mercedes has done it. Maybe it was 100% fair and legit. Maybe it was because of the TD they were demanding needed to happen. Maybe they went over budget. Maybe there is corruption between Merc and the FIA to bring them success. Whatever it is, I want those guys running Ferrari. They went from crap to winners and Ferrari went from winners to crap. As you said, pretty safe bed to assume Mercedes will be in better shape in 2023.

My biggest take-away from this weekend out side of the obvious stuff like Brazil needing to be the last race of the season and Merc continues to be the best in-season developers is that what a horrific own-goal by Red Bull and Max today.

We leave Brazil with them having a fractured team dynamic out in the open (seems like it's been bad but well hidden from us), Max coming across as petulant and the most egregious thing being the questing of Checo's integrity by insinuating that his crash in Monaco was on purpose.

Old Horner has his hands full and we get to sit back and watch how they twist this to make their golden boy happy.

Quote Originally Posted by h3ro View Post
    My biggest take-away from this weekend out side of the obvious stuff like Brazil needing to be the last race of the season and Merc continues to be the best in-season developers is that what a horrific own-goal by Red Bull and Max today.

We leave Brazil with them having a fractured team dynamic out in the open (seems like it's been bad but well hidden from us), Max coming across as petulant and the most egregious thing being the questing of Checo's integrity by insinuating that his crash in Monaco was on purpose.

Old Horner has his hands full and we get to sit back and watch how they twist this to make their golden boy happy.
    Checo admitted it to Horner and Marko that what he did at Monaco was intentional.....hence as to why Max didn't concede to team orders at Interlagos to give a place back to Checo.

Let's see what happens at Abu Dhabi and see if Max will help Checo out.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Checo admitted it to Horner and Marko that what he did at Monaco was intentional.
    Yes, he may have but this was info that was kept out of the public sphere... until now. Poor form on Max's part, regardless of the internal politicking.

I'm sure Checo will come in line and realize that being Max's #2 is better than being down the grid in a backmarker. All he has to do is see how Dani Ric's post RB career went after leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Checo admitted it to Horner and Marko that what he did at Monaco was intentional.....hence as to why Max didn't concede to team orders at Interlagos to give a place back to Checo.

Let's see what happens at Abu Dhabi and see if Max will help Checo out.
    There is zero excuse for what Max did.
    He disobeyed direct team orders. Checo has helped him thru his campaignS (not campaign) and this is a kick in the face.

This is how you demoralize someone. Also, this is how you show your true face.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Re: Ferrari, after the way our pitwall worked thru the weekend (I do hope noone is pleased) I hope for major changes.
    I haven't seen this kind of body language from Charles till now. Most alarming and it's time for change. And I mean for sacking.

There are no excuses any more. They wanted to experiment? You do not experiment with the guy who is on the hunt for #2, but the guy who does have a 5 drop penalty.
    Forgive me father..
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

There was huge uproar and penalties when Schumacher supposedly 'parked' his car in Monaco 2006 qualifying.

Now Red Bull are basically admitting Perez crashed his car on purpose in qualifying?

I don't think there has been any official statements or recordings of Perez or RBR admitting to deliberately parking the car. The comments I've read are basically "I heard from a guy" and can't be considered fact without proof.

Seems pretty likely it's because of Monaco and I agree with @JPZ. Michael got thrown to the wolves when he parked his car, got a huge penalty, and since they we have seen Rosberg, Perez, and technically Leclerc (I don't think his was deliberate) all crash on the last lap without much backlash at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
    There was huge uproar and penalties when Schumacher supposedly 'parked' his car in Monaco 2006 qualifying.

Now Red Bull are basically admitting Perez crashed his car on purpose in qualifying?
    Almost Pushing Rubens into a concrete wall on purpose @ Hungary 2010 fighting for 10th place !!! Shumy at his best! What a guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Almost Pushing Rubens into a concrete wall on purpose @ Hungary 2010 fighting for 10th place !!! Shumy at his best! What a guy!!
    And Barrichello in a fast car gets beaten by Jenson Button.
    Last edited by JPZ; 19th November 2022 at 07:41.

Quote Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
    And Barrichello in a fast car gets beaten by Jenson Button.
    OK ! No attempted murder makes a difference !

OK ! No attempted murder makes a difference !
    Dude get real. Why even bring it up, what relevance does it have on anything?

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    Dude get real. Why even bring it up, what relevance does it have on anything?
    It's just as relevant as parking his car on track 2006 during Monaco quali. I just need a race ASAP!

It's just as relevant as parking his car on track 2006 during Monaco quali. I just need a race ASAP!
    It's not relevant at all though. Comparing Perez deliberately parking his car and getting zero backlash to Schumacher getting hung from a tree for doing the same thing is a relevant addition to the conversation. Randomly talking about Schumacher poorly defending a position in bad way in a completely different year, different track, against a different driver, and then calling it a murder attempt is just garbage trolling. If you want to bring that up for the 100th time in a convo about Michael's character, go ahead. But please don't go way off topic to try to prove a point nobody cares to hear about. Be better than that.

Okay!