Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 2023 Australian Grand Prix - Race Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    What a mess for our team, Stroll takes out Charles on lap 1 and no penalty, Carlos hits Alonso (who kept going) and gets a 5sec penalty as well as 2 pts on his superlicence....doesn't add up to me. I regret making myself get up at 5am to watch this manufactured F1, and can't be bothered to even make any further comment. Gutted from lap 1, turn 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by samboozik View Post
    Attachment 8171

And this doesn't require a penalty? SMH, it sure is becoming a manufactured F1.
    It's been for years now! That is why I am saying F1 is dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Keep the faith, keep the faith…
    Are you singing Bon Jovi song?!
    https://youtu.be/eZQyVUTcpM4

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    It's been for years now! That is why I am saying F1 is dead!
    Since 2008 we have missed out on at least 5 championships 1 with Felipe and 2 each with Nando and Seb. Our strategy has often let us down when we had the car so we shot ourselves in the foot.
    Hopefully our strategy calls will improve under new management but we haven't got the car at present.
    F1 is not dead we just need to get smarter.

Forza Jules

Unfortunately Charles keeps going for a gap that is not there. 100% his fault. And what is sad is that this is his biggest flaw, it's not the first time when he crashes due to his on fault in the first lap. Sainz tagged Alonso and put him into a spin, the penalty was deserved but it was extremely unlucky for him. Nowadays Liberty Media want to make F1 a show with memorable race endings, most of them triggered by unnecessary red flags.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    So you can't name any, what a shock.
    Lol why do you expect people to names things whenever you order them to, and when they don't you say they can't? Have you ever considered that maybe they just don't feel like entertaining your demands?
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Unfortunately Charles keeps going for a gap that is not there. 100% his fault. And what is sad is that this is his biggest flaw, it's not the first time when he crashes due to his on fault in the first lap.Sainz tagged Alonso and put him into a spin, the penalty was deserved but it was extremely unlucky for him. Nowadays Liberty Media want to make F1 a show with memorable race endings, most of them triggered by unnecessary red flags.
    This.
    And it's beyond inexperience now, it's a genuine weakness.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    This.
    And it's beyond inexperience now, it's a genuine weakness.
    All drivers make such mystakes when they know they have to push for a result. Ham made a lot of them , max also ,and not only on their 1st years. They "calm" down when they start to have a rocketship and they know they can pass whenever they want. Look at Max on Sunday, he let the Merc to take the lead and then with drs that could give him 30+kph more ,he disappeared!! If he hadn't that car and new that that place he lost on the start was probably very difficult to take it back. you would see a more aggresive approach. I pretty the if the team managed to give Lec a very fast car ,you will his weakness disappear!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Unfortunately Charles keeps going for a gap that is not there. 100% his fault. And what is sad is that this is his biggest flaw, it's not the first time when he crashes due to his on fault in the first lap. Sainz tagged Alonso and put him into a spin, the penalty was deserved but it was extremely unlucky for him. Nowadays Liberty Media want to make F1 a show with memorable race endings, most of them triggered by unnecessary red flags.
    I get your point but it wasn't such a bad move from Charles, there was a space/gap and he was actually ahead of Stroll, at least a third of a car length. I agree that Charles has on occasion gone for gaps which shrink, but I also think that he is desperate to get back into a points position after two rubbish races. You can't blame him for trying, although in this instance it was a mistake. With hindsight!

Leclerc's on-board, Stroll's on-board and angles of the incident.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/164289...CwmbHI3cwtAAAA
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Leclerc's on-board, Stroll's on-board and angles of the incident.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/164289...CwmbHI3cwtAAAA
    That doesn't look good for Charles, but I'm still sure the blame wasn't entirely his.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    All drivers make such mystakes when they know they have to push for a result. Ham made a lot of them , max also ,and not only on their 1st years. They "calm" down when they start to have a rocketship and they know they can pass whenever they want. Look at Max on Sunday, he let the Merc to take the lead and then with drs that could give him 30+kph more ,he disappeared!! If he hadn't that car and new that that place he lost on the start was probably very difficult to take it back. you would see a more aggresive approach. I pretty the if the team managed to give Lec a very fast car ,you will his weakness disappear!!!
    100%. Ham and Max were both like this, even Vettel. Max doesn't need to mix it up in the first corners this year, he knows he's going to be out front eventually and just needs to wait for DRS and the straights.

If you have a quick enough car you can also underfuel it. I think Redbull might also be doing that maybe by 10 to 15 kg just a guess. Their car is quick but not that quick in qualifying but in the race they are untouchable. They sprint in front and then manage the pace and others can't catch them. 10kg of fuel is equal to roughly 0.3 sec and if they take out as much as 15kg that could be as much as 0.45sec which they just speed infront and build a buffer and then cruise crushing everyone's spirit and no one will even try to chase them coz they are scared of ruining their tyres. This intimidation tactic seems to work well for them for no one even dares to hunt them down. However this is evidenced by Perez not slicing that much through the field. He might have had set up issues which hindered his progress but it was the same with max in Jeddah he was quick but not as quick as they sometimes are when they are in front when he was negotiating traffic. Just my thoughts

It might be one of the reasons they are fast and I hope this car DNF's like Newey's 2002 Mclaren but there is more to it. The reason they are fast in the race is that they don't destroy the tires and the car doesn't seem affected by

the weight of the 100kg of fuel. The car is very efficient aerodynamically and you can tell when it gets in the slipstream of other cars. Basically an improvement of last year RB 18 with the magic floor.

The fact is that the SF-23 was botched. Ferrari lost the advantage they had last year in the traction zones out of the slow corners and did get better with high speed stuff but car eats it's tires and when they set up the car not to eat the tires it's not

fast. Red Bull as a trick with the floor that is not affected by the height of the car. Hope is not lost, look at what Aston Martin did in one season.

Quote Originally Posted by TTRSMAD View Post
    It might be one of the reasons they are fast and I hope this car DNF's like Newey's 2002 Mclaren but there is more to it. The reason they are fast in the race is that they don't destroy the tires and the car doesn't seem affected by

the weight of the 100kg of fuel. The car is very efficient aerodynamically and you can tell when it gets in the slipstream of other cars. Basically an improvement of last year RB 18 with the magic floor.

The fact is that the SF-23 was botched. Ferrari lost the advantage they had last year in the traction zones out of the slow corners and did get better with high speed stuff but car eats it's tires and when they set up the car not to eat the tires it's not

fast. Red Bull as a trick with the floor that is not affected by the height of the car. Hope is not lost, look at what Aston Martin did in one season.
    Unlike Ferrari, however, Aston Martin is not run by technocrats/ bureaucrats and 'company men'! Our biggest single issue, IMAAHFO, is a dire lack of real leadership and direction.

You can have all the passion you like, a glorious history and the top drivers and engineers but without leadership you have little. I think we need a Luca Di, a Todt, a Brawn or - dare I say it - a Briatore!
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    Unlike Ferrari, however, Aston Martin is not run by technocrats/ bureaucrats and 'company men'! Our biggest single issue, IMAAHFO, is a dire lack of real leadership and direction.

You can have all the passion you like, a glorious history and the top drivers and engineers but without leadership you have little. I think we need a Luca Di, a Todt, a Brawn or - dare I say it - a Briatore!
    Amazing what Lawrence Stroll has done in 5 years time and most notably in 2 years time with AMRF1.

Last year, the team for the whole season scored 55 points. In 3 races for 2023, they've scored 65 points and have had 1 DNF(Stroll).

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Amazing what Lawrence Stroll has done in 5 years time and most notably in 2 years time with AMRF1.

Last year, the team for the whole season scored 55 points. In 3 races for 2023, they've scored 65 points and have had 1 DNF(Stroll).
    Maybe Aston broke the budget cap over the winter! And took on a Newey apprentice, what we should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Maybe Aston broke the budget cap over the winter! And took on a Newey apprentice, what we should be doing.
    Yep, it's not just the Newey apprentice(Dan Fallows) but also a Mercedes apprentice as well(Erin Blandin). Talk about poaching some good aerodynamacists. Definitely gonna be a top 3 team for awhile.

Erin Blandin a Mercedes apprentice? Sure Erin worked at Red Bull then Ferrari before Mercedes.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Erin Blandin a Mercedes apprentice? Sure Erin worked at Red Bull then Ferrari before Mercedes.
    It's funny how some of these engineers, in the past 10 years, used to work for Ferrari only to flourish at Mercedes and now AMRF1.

Dan Fallows, ex RedBull aero engineer and under Neweys wing, would have been quite the catch for Ferrari........but to no avail.

Says something about the culture within the teams.

"Clipping",......the new jargon in the F1 world "leaked" to the public.

https://twitter.com/F1DataAnalysis/s...CwzZrj_tYtAAAA