Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Monaco Grand Prix - Practice & Qualifying Thread

2023 Monaco Grand Prix - Practice & Qualifying Thread

I'm curious to see if Mercedes take a step here. Is it just an aero update or also suspension? My unqualified opinion is that Red Bull's advantage is coming down significantly to their suspension and trick DRS. So if Mercedes bring just an aero update and fail to improve significantly, that could be evidence of RB's advantage being mainly on the suspension side.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm curious to see if Mercedes take a step here. Is it just an aero update or also suspension? My unqualified opinion is that Red Bull's advantage is coming down significantly to their suspension and trick DRS. So if Mercedes bring just an aero update and fail to improve significantly, that could be evidence of RB's advantage being mainly on the suspension side.
    also monaco is NOT really a true track to understand how the upgrades that teams are bringing are actually working; they'll have to wait for next track, Barcelona to get a true understanding how and if the updates are working as planned.

Monaco is ALL about maximum downforce you can throw on the car as well a superior mechanical grip....which i thing where red bull is having and advantage....

sadly WE used to have phenomenal mechanical grip in low speed corners with our previous cars, NOT so much with the SF23

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    also monaco is NOT really a true track to understand how the upgrades that teams are bringing are actually working; they'll have to wait for next track, Barcelona to get a true understanding how and if the updates are working as planned.

Monaco is ALL about maximum downforce you can throw on the car as well a superior mechanical grip....which i thing where red bull is having and advantage....

sadly WE used to have phenomenal mechanical grip in low speed corners with our previous cars, NOT so much with the SF23
    He got pole in Baku despite numerous straights where Verstappen was able to gain free lap time, Verstappen will NOT have that advantage in Baku. It'll be interesting. All he needs is pole. He being Leclrec. Then it's down to defending against the undercut.

Why is DRS allowed in qualifying, when it 's supposed to be an overtaking aid. I never understood this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    He got pole in Baku despite numerous straights where Verstappen was able to gain free lap time, Verstappen will NOT have that advantage in Baku. It'll be interesting. All he needs is pole. He being Leclrec. Then it's down to defending against the undercut.
    no, no, no mate....Pole is not gonna do much and be enough when the team backing you is FERRARI....they can find a way to screw Charles as they did before in Monaco....i know it's comical, but it's SO TRUE

remember that Monaco is NOT like any other circuit....in fact the Overcut is really powerful there and not the udercut

Why is DRS allowed in qualifying, when it 's supposed to be an overtaking aid. I never understood this.
    me neither, i never understood that either, but that's a discussion for another day....

I think DRS should be done away with completely, quali and race!

no, no, no mate....Pole is not gonna do much and be enough when the team backing you is FERRARI....they can find a way to screw Charles as they did before in Monaco....i know it's comical, but it's SO TRUE
    you're buying into the fake news. Red Bull had the easier job of making pit stop decisions in last year's Monaco race.

Here is the explanation from Eddie Irvine who usually dishes out truth these days.

https://scuderiafans.com/eddie-irvin...ou-are-behind/

If Charles is able to have a clean weekend, then we are in for a very good result.

Good point, we'll have to wait for the next GP I guess.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

you're buying into the fake news. Red Bull had the easier job of making pit stop decisions in last year's Monaco race.

Here is the explanation from Eddie Irvine who usually dishes out truth these days.

https://scuderiafans.com/eddie-irvin...ou-are-behind/
    We don't need Eddie Irvine's help to tell us the difference between right and wrong. You can easily make your own judgement.

Replay last year's Monaco/Silverstone race on F1TV. Better if you have multiview on Desktop, so that you can follow the race, livetiming and onboards simultaneously. Then you'd understand how Charles got screwed up by Binotto and co. The way they advised him on the radio, one could argue that he got intentionally screwed up.

I think Monaco being all about mechanical grip was true for old gen cars, but not for this generation of cars. Because of the slick tyres and the way current gen aero and suspension works, these cars inherently have more mechanical grip than ever before.

I think traction is the key in Monaco. It's all about coming out those slow speed corners as fast as possible without losing the rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    We don't need Eddie Irvine's help to tell us the difference between right and wrong. You can easily make your own judgement.

Replay last year's Monaco/Silverstone race on F1TV. Better if you have multiview on Desktop, so that you can follow the race, livetiming and onboards simultaneously. Then you'd understand how Charles got screwed up by Binotto and co. The way they advised him on the radio, one could argue that he got intentionally screwed up.
    WITH the benefit of hindsight, yes.

Furthermore, we'd have won that race with Carlos if it weren't for terrible luck on the lap traffic.

I like how you had to add Silverstone in there to make your point.

WITH the benefit of hindsight, yes.

Furthermore, we'd have won that race with Carlos if it weren't for terrible luck on the lap traffic.

I like how you had to add Silverstone in there to make your point.
    You mean retrospect. I don't think hindsight logic applies here.

And no, we wouldn't have won those races with Carlos. Frankly speaking, I don't think Carlos is capable of winning races without any incident/preferential treatment. Silverstone was a gift and that's about it.

Aaaaaaaaand...........we could have a new problem. Why not.... Carlos Sainz hurt his right leg while playing the soccer game they always do in Monaco. No idea how serious it is, but he had to quit and had his leg taped.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    You mean retrospect. I don't think hindsight logic applies here.

And no, we wouldn't have won those races with Carlos. Frankly speaking, I don't think Carlos is capable of winning races without any incident/preferential treatment. Silverstone was a gift and that's about it.
    There WAS incident! It started downpouring 5 minutes before the cars were supposed to roll off!

We made mistakes last year, no doubt, and if it weren't for those mistakes the call in Monaco, while unfortunate, should not be added to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    Aaaaaaaaand...........we could have a new problem. Why not.... Carlos Sainz hurt his right leg while playing the soccer game they always do in Monaco. No idea how serious it is, but he had to quit and had his leg taped.
    Sainz is okay after having his leg seen earlier after the charity soccer game.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

I expect a strong ferrari at Monaco. Totally agree DRS should not be activated during qualifying.

remember that Monaco is NOT like any other circuit....in fact the Overcut is really powerful there and not the udercut
    Track position is everything. You can literally cruise without danger. Only question is if Ferrari knows this. Even if we get Pole, we will find a way to loose.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    I expect a strong ferrari at Monaco. Totally agree DRS should not be activated during qualifying.
    It doesn't matter in Monaco, though. Just build a better DRS System, and it's not a problem whether you can activate it during Qualy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    He is ok, should not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne View Post
    It doesn't matter in Monaco, though. Just build a better DRS System, and it's not a problem whether you can activate it during Qualy.
    It's supposed to be an overtaking aid.

Since it's debut i never understood it's use during qualy, and i've always been worried about it being abused. It shouldn't be an area of development.

I thought the teams wanted to go green for carry-over to the road cars. How does DRS carry over to road cars. Having a better DRS system shouldn't be deciding races.

It's supposed to be an overtaking aid.

Since it's debut i never understood it's use during qualy, and i've always been worried about it being abused. It shouldn't be an area of development.

I thought the teams wanted to go green for carry-over to the road cars. How does DRS carry over to road cars. Having a better DRS system shouldn't be deciding races.
    I don't like DRS, but it's there and everyone can use it. I don't mind getting rid of it in the first place, but the truth is, one team has developed an advantage in this area, and guess what? It's not Ferrari, we are behind again. At the moment it's not even deciding races, as RB is much faster than the rest of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne View Post
    I don't like DRS, but it's there and everyone can use it. I don't mind getting rid of it in the first place, but the truth is, one team has developed an advantage in this area, and guess what? It's not Ferrari, we are behind again. At the moment it's not even deciding races, as RB is much faster than the rest of the field.
    it decided Jeddah last year, and how much lap time is it giving to Red Bull during qualifying?

I'm still waiting for your first good post.

When are the Ferrari Upgrades coming or they have already been implemented?

Seen pics of the "new" W14 Spec-B with the "new" sidepods on. Its definitely different.

Catalunya should give us a true test of this cars capabilities. It's also got a revised front suspension geometry as well.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Seen pics of the "new" W14 Spec-B with the "new" sidepods on. Its definitely different.

Catalunya should give us a true test of this cars capabilities. It's also got a revised front suspension geometry as well.
    How can a team like Merc bring a whole new car basically with new suspension and all that AND still be within spending budget throughout the year….that is beyond me

Hopefully Ferrari will do the same and screw the budget cap limit